User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's going to be a challenge.  That's a 10 amp load @ 120 volts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The plan is to use a 1200w electric 2.3gallon water heater, and just get the water hot

And you're going to use your batteries and solar system to power it?

Meanwhile a typical 6-gallon RV combo unit can run primarily on propane, with 120V as backup. Takes very little propane to heat a tank; it’s easy to heat up water for the wife and daughter’s showers then turn it off and use the leftover warm water for yours. They come insulated with styrofoam too, the water stays warm for quite a while so it provides some extra flexibility like dumping extra solar energy into hot water if the batteries top off early in the day, with very minimal propane use later that night.

Either that or end up running the genset for hot water on a regular basis...
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
In the summer you can just run water in panels overhead, heat it that way.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I finished some curtains.

We also bought a sink and picked a countertop out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Meanwhile a typical 6-gallon RV combo unit can run primarily on propane, with 120V as backup. Takes very little propane to heat a tank; it’s easy to heat up water for the wife and daughter’s showers then turn it off and use the leftover warm water for yours. They come insulated with styrofoam too, the water stays warm for quite a while so it provides some extra flexibility like dumping extra solar energy into hot water if the batteries top off early in the day, with very minimal propane use later that night.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The plan is to use a 1200w electric 2.3gallon water heater, and just get the water hot

10A for a little bit isn't bad at all. Most days I can run the AC at 72F on just solar and the controller still shunts current.

Yeah, it's a trade off, right? I either have to spend another couple hundred to install propane, spend an extra couple hundred on an RV propane water heater, or just run the generator for an extra couple minutes a day. And for less than 45 days a year, I don't know if it's worth it.

The issue isn't the propane heater, it's the propane. And thus far I haven't found a need for propane.

I've looked at a couple, and this seems like the winner, but there's a lot of downsides. https://www.recpro.com/rv-tankless-water-heater-on-demand-hot-water-heater/
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

10A for a little bit isn't bad at all. Most days I can run the AC at 72F on just solar and the controller still shunts current.

Yeah, it's a trade off, right? I either have to spend another couple hundred to install propane, spend an extra couple hundred on an RV propane water heater, or just run the generator for an extra couple minutes a day. And for less than 45 days a year, I don't know if it's worth it.

The issue isn't the propane heater, it's the propane. And thus far I haven't found a need for propane.

I've looked at a couple, and this seems like the winner, but there's a lot of downsides. https://www.recpro.com/rv-tankless-water-heater-on-demand-hot-water-heater/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’d be better off with an electric heater then, I bet. If you’re good with the occasional extra need for a generator, I think you have a winner. I just found this, only downside is a 45-minute recovery time. 45 minutes, then showers, so maybe an hour of run time per day for your power budget?

6 gallon heater from Lowe’s

The 2.3 gallon one has a 19-minute recovery rate. If you think that’s enough hot water, go for it. I forget if it was mentioned already, but get the oxygenics shower head, it cut our shower water use by about a third.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Propane stove is nice, but nice isn't a need.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a good sand blaster for the floor.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get a good sand blaster for the floor.
View Quote

Couple months late. But, I did go through about 25 of these:

Then used phosphoric acid and then rustoleum.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Details on the civic?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's good that you've allocated lots of space for storage - Firewood takes up a lot of space.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13258/Wood_Stove_jpg-2293571.JPG
View Quote

@Skinbane

Mind sharing where you got that micro wood stove?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:52:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@Skinbane

Mind sharing where you got that micro wood stove?
View Quote

Not mine - just an image stolen off the internet.

The Cubic is a popular choice for RVs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...Then, it was time to take it home, so I threw it in/on the truck:
https://i.imgur.com/kTyMARK.png
View Quote

Ok... this bus project is AWESOME, but I wanna know more about this little Kei truck!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Any updates?
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top