BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do they make a ‘cover’ for that sized roof vent?
It keeps the rain out even when open. They’re usually equipped with screens to keep the bugs away as well.
View Quote

Maybe. I haven't looked. I'll have to look into it.

I built a "folding" bed. How well it'll work with a mattress on it, I don't know. However, it gives me the option to "open up" the garage area and then use it to store/move things.

It *should* fit a queen size mattress. Here's to hoping, right? Lol. The "foot" of the bed will just be a 1x12 laid down, with some hatches or cubbies for storing things like socks, a shirt, shorts, flashlight, pistol, etc. like this:

I also made some curtains for my daughter's bunk with fabric she picked out. :D

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
How about putting an AC/heat pump in the roof vent?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Great thread OP.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, in Toy Haulers, the ones I've seen have a bed frame that lowers from the ceiling, allowing you to use the space as a bedroom or a garage.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP, in Toy Haulers, the ones I've seen have a bed frame that lowers from the ceiling, allowing you to use the space as a bedroom or a garage.
View Quote

Yep.  Mine has two queen-sized beds which lower w/ electric mowers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  OP, in Toy Haulers, the ones I've seen have a bed frame that lowers from the ceiling, allowing you to use the space as a bedroom or a garage.

That's pretty awesome.  Any particular reason you're growing grass in your Toy Hauler?  
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's pretty awesome.  Any particular reason you're growing grass in your Toy Hauler?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  OP, in Toy Haulers, the ones I've seen have a bed frame that lowers from the ceiling, allowing you to use the space as a bedroom or a garage.

That went over my head.  Can you explain?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...lower w/ electric mowers

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!  I better check my work on the other things I'm working on this morning!  No tellin' what I've overlooked...
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Wouldn't be the first time somebody had a grow operation in a bus or trailer parked away from others.  Line it with Reflectix, grow lights on a timer and vent since the stuff stinks.  

I've been looking at EB Econolines but if I had a place to park it I'd consider a bus.  

There are some extremely talented people building house trucks and buses out there.  One of the first things I found that got me sort of interested in them after seeing one some craftsman had built in Asheville was a book titled Some Turtles Have Nice Shells: A Picture Book of Handbuilt Housetrucks and Housebuses.  It's out of print and copies are stupid expensive but it showcases some of the amazing woodworking skills some folks- not me- have.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL!  I better check my work on the other things I'm working on this morning!  No tellin' what I've overlooked...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The insolent bastages keep you on your toes around here. That's why I love 'em! No homo.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wouldn't be the first time somebody had a grow operation in a bus or trailer parked away from others.  Line it with Reflectix, grow lights on a timer and vent since the stuff stinks.  

I've been looking at EB Econolines but if I had a place to park it I'd consider a bus.  

There are some extremely talented people building house trucks and buses out there.  One of the first things I found that got me sort of interested in them after seeing one some craftsman had built in Asheville was a book titled Some Turtles Have Nice Shells: A Picture Book of Handbuilt Housetrucks and Housebuses.  It's out of print and copies are stupid expensive but it showcases some of the amazing woodworking skills some folks- not me- have.
View Quote

My daughter uses our travel trailer to start her vegetable garden plants. She had her set up where you could see the grow lights in the door. I told her she had to cover the door window or move her setup before we had the po-leese showing up in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#13]
OP is nuts for taking on this project.

Awesome job, OP!

Tagged for the fun of watching you work...
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be pretty nice to roll out in the morning down the Toy Hauler ramp, all comfy in your zero turn bed.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP is nuts for taking on this project.

Awesome job, OP!

Tagged for the fun of watching you work...
View Quote

Haha! I thought so too. It was either this or a kit car, lolol.

After much ado, the guys in lowes "found" like my fifth choice for flooring...

And the guy put a fork through it. So, they gave me a 10% discount, which was more than fair, since it was really only about the first 14 feet that was damaged, and I'm going to be cutting it down to 91" wide anyway.

Then, it was time to take it home, so I threw it in/on the truck:

And drove about 45mph all the way home.

And, I've got a couple ways to "close off" the sleeping spaces from the living spaces to try to keep the cool air in those areas. And I'll probably keep a bunch of 20x24" squares of insulation foam on-hand to try to block light when stationary.

Now I've gotta decide on a generator, since I'm not sure the solar will run a mini split long-term.

So, for the next two weeks: flooring, then mini split, then plumbing, then shakedown!
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I would suggest a dual-fuel gas/propane inverter generator, then hook it directly to your propane setup and feed it from there.  Outputs mostly CO2, whereas running it on gasoline outputs CO.

Did you pick up smoke detector, CO alarm, & propane alarm yet?

ETA:  Neat truck.  How fast does it go, and how many miles?  Licensed for highway or non-highway streets only?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 1:55:02 AM EDT
[#17]
LOL, your truck looks like one of those homemade Syrian artillery pieces.  

I'm sure you've already thought of these but wool blankets work pretty well to help block off sections of the vehicle and they can obviously serve more than one function such as blocking drafts around doors and such so that's always a plus.  When i had my VW, most of us would block off behind the front seats to help with the heat lose/gain through all that front glass (a couple of the folks would actually build a foam board wall to use during the winter to help keep the front warm while driving).  Hanging the blankets also provided some privacy and helped to make the bus look empty when stealth camping since most folks will walk past a vehicle with no one in the seats and assume it's empty.  When it gets really cold I also make a "blanket fort" inside to reduce the area I'm trying to heat with my body heat.  I did this with the VW and I do it with my trucks as well.  By having hooks attached to the inside of the camper shell I can string up 550 cord then drape blankets from them to reduce the area I'm trying to keep warm.  Stuffed animals and comic books are optional.  

Reflectix works pretty well to cover the windows; spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 on it, stick some black felt to it then press fit, Velcro, magnet, whatever to the windows and it provides some insulation, blocks light transmission (stealth camping again) and provides privacy.  As long as your windows are tinted, the black panels aren't noticeable from outside.

I see lots of folks using fiberglass insulation but that can retain moisture and cause rust issues.  You put out a lot of moisture just through the act of breathing and cooking adds more, especially boiling.  If you use fiberglass insulation be sure to treat the metal behind it and use a vapor barrier over it or do the bagging technique.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would suggest a dual-fuel gas/propane inverter generator, then hook it directly to your propane setup and feed it from there.  Outputs mostly CO2, whereas running it on gasoline outputs CO.

ETA:  Neat truck.  How fast does it go, and how many miles?  Licensed for highway or non-highway streets only?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've considered a propane generator, but then I have to haul around a bottle of propane. I already have smoke and CO detectors, if I have propane appliances, I suppose I'll have to add a propane detector to that list too.

It's a 1996 Honda Acty 2wd, rear wheel drive, rear engine, 5 speed, with A/C. It'll go about 75mph if I push it, but I'm limited by testicular fortitude at that speed and fear that if something goes wrong, I'm in something with essentially no crash structure. A SxS has more crash protection. It's fully licensed, insured, and I can drive it wherever it won't get stuck.

Quoted:
LOL, your truck looks like one of those homemade Syrian artillery pieces.  

I'm sure you've already thought of these but wool blankets work pretty well to help block off sections of the vehicle and they can obviously serve more than one function such as blocking drafts around doors and such so that's always a plus.  When i had my VW, most of us would block off behind the front seats to help with the heat lose/gain through all that front glass (a couple of the folks would actually build a foam board wall to use during the winter to help keep the front warm while driving).  Hanging the blankets also provided some privacy and helped to make the bus look empty when stealth camping since most folks will walk past a vehicle with no one in the seats and assume it's empty.  When it gets really cold I also make a "blanket fort" inside to reduce the area I'm trying to heat with my body heat.  I did this with the VW and I do it with my trucks as well.  By having hooks attached to the inside of the camper shell I can string up 550 cord then drape blankets from them to reduce the area I'm trying to keep warm.  Stuffed animals and comic books are optional.  

Reflectix works pretty well to cover the windows; spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 on it, stick some black felt to it then press fit, Velcro, magnet, whatever to the windows and it provides some insulation, blocks light transmission (stealth camping again) and provides privacy.  As long as your windows are tinted, the black panels aren't noticeable from outside.

I see lots of folks using fiberglass insulation but that can retain moisture and cause rust issues.  You put out a lot of moisture just through the act of breathing and cooking adds more, especially boiling.  If you use fiberglass insulation be sure to treat the metal behind it and use a vapor barrier over it or do the bagging technique.

Yes, I have considered blankets, and I'll do you one better: I got those sprint loaded curtain rods, and cut up some fire-retardant "99% blackout" curtains. As for the hooks on the ceiling, that's also in the plan, I really want to divide off areas that aren't in-use so I don't have to heat them in the winter. Cooling is going to be interesting, since the mini split will be in the rear of the bus.

I actually have reflectrix spray-adhesived onto cardboard for the windshield blocks. Currently I have the foamboard in the windows for windows I don't want to use, and it looks decent, not horrible, and because the windows are tinted 30% it's not easy to see through them.

I did the vapor barrier a while back, and after re-doing all the window mastic/caulk, I sprayed the metal with a sealant.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to be adding a tether at minimum, and a cage eventually, so nothing crazy happens, but it's almost installed.

Left to do is:
Pull it back off again
put up the trim panel/wall
cut holes/hatch to access
connect electrical
add breaker to panel
run condensate drain
connect lineset
draw down to 29"
leak test
charge
startup

Then, I can start to figure out how much power this thing uses, and buy an appropriate generator.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Might reverse your vent so that it opens rearward, that way if you forget to crank it down & drive off it won't rip off at 65 mph.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Might reverse your vent so that it opens rearward, that way if you forget to crank it down & drive off it won't rip off at 65 mph.
View Quote

They are made like that and won't rip off. It's not a regular trailer vent.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So much to unpack here... Lololol.

1. The but doesn't go 65.
2. it's a 24" school bus escape hatch.
3. The worst thing that happens when I leave it open while driving is it rattles sometimes.
4. I'm more worried about solar panels and the mini split ripping off than the hatch.

I laid out the floor today, hoping it'd be an easy win...

It wasn't.

This flooring is pretty gnarly to use, and I wish I'd just spent the money on vinyl click-lock plank flooring. I have it loose laid, but now I have to figure out how to get the couch held up off the floor so I can fix the wrinkles.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks great! Uni-strut: it is not designed for the vibration that thing will see, I’m hoping you used loktite everywhere and hopefully lock washers of some sort - it looks like loktite on the bolts for the condensing unit. I’d absolutely add some additional bracing to tie the unistrut pieces together, and bring a socket set to regularly check bolt torque.

My thought on the couch takes three guys. One on each end of the couch to hold it up and one to straighten out the wrinkles. Guys holding the couch may have to march in place a bit as the flooring moves.

Edit for another thought, I’d look into some sort of vibration isolation mounts to help soften the bumps to the condensing unit, and be very careful with the line set between it and the fan coil making sure to carefully protect it from vibrating against anything.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Might reverse your vent so that it opens rearward, that way if you forget to crank it down & drive off it won't rip off at 65 mph.

Ah, 5 pages in I couldn't remember if he'd replaced the emergency exit or not.  Is that secure from the outside or can it be pried up?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ah, 5 pages in I couldn't remember if he'd replaced the emergency exit or not.  Is that secure from the outside or can it be pried up?
View Quote

Yeah, it can be opened from the top. I don't think that's a bad thing though, in the event of a rollover/entrapment situation, I'd prefer having EMS personnel make entry to being trapped.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't fixed the flooring, but now the bus has A/C.

Pointless video of the unit running here:
https://i.imgur.com/r2R7nNr.mp4

It peaks out at 1.21kW when cooling down from 95F, then starts using about 850W from between 85 and 75, and once it reaches the set point, it starts throttling down to just under 400w. All this to say, we can probably get away with a small inverter 2kw generator.

It was nice and cool all afternoon, and when I got done working I brought my wife and daughter out.

Now I've gotta drill a hole somewhere to run the condensate drain line and I've checked off another life-support system as: DONE!

Last night my wife and I decided on mattresses, and I think we'll be happy with the ones we picked. If everything arrives as scheduled, we might "driveway camp" on Friday night.

Now, moving onto the next larger project:
Water.

I've got the two 33 gal tanks for freshwater, and the 48gal waste (grey or black) tank, and I'll need PEX and fittings, then finally the fixtures.My count is that I need 9x 90-deg fittings and 2x T-fittings to cover both hot and cold water. I guess I'll start looking at a bunch of videos tonight to figure out how the winterization taps work.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Set it up so you can drain the entire system, using the vent on the hot water heater, & then you don't have to mess w/ winterizing the fresh water system.  Just drain the whole thing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Set it up so you can drain the entire system, using the vent on the hot water heater, & then you don't have to mess w/ winterizing the fresh water system.  Just drain the whole thing.
View Quote

This is where I would talk to an RV dealership.

I really like being able to use a few pounds of air pressure on the system to blow all water from the lines and the RV dealer can guide you.

And of course there will be an ARFCOM member who will likely post up everything needed with links and tutorials...
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Last Friday night, we all spent the night on the bus.

I slept pretty well. My daughter slept pretty well. The dog somehow burrowed under the covers and slept next to my feet. My wife, however, didn't sleep well -- partially because our daughter took like 3 hours to go to sleep due to excitement. The AC worked pretty well, kept everyone cool all night.

List of things we need to add:
Fan and/or light for the bunks
Cupholders/phoneholders for the master bedroom
better place for the dog to sleep
More grab-handles to ease getting up from the master bed to pee in the middle of the night

I'll be adding the water tank and plumbing this week, in hopes I have it finished before cola warrior keystone the weekend after next.

Oh, in other news the bus is now insured as an RV. So happy days.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Man, I really love how you put this together.  Eager to see it in action.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Basically you spend more time converting and maintaining it than ever using it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Basically you spend more time converting and maintaining it than ever using it.
View Quote

Hopefully we'll use it for a few years before I get bored, sell it, and move onto a bigger toy.

As far as days/nights of use: Right now I have 23 days of "use or lose" paid time off from work, that has to be used by the end of December, and I already work 4x 10h days, so I've got every Friday off anyway... I think we'll be using it enough to feel like it's an equal trade.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I just noticed the "MD," I do so hope you'll be spending some time at Assateague.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you. I've spent a lot of time putting it together, and even more thinking about how to put it together.

I've still gotta finish the water and seal up the walls, but I think it'll be easy to do that a few bits at a time.

Quoted:
I just noticed the "MD," I do so hope you'll be spending some time at Assateague.  

Lol, yeah, only in the off-season though... They're booked a year out right now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thank you. I've spent a lot of time putting it together, and even more thinking about how to put it together.

I've still gotta finish the water and seal up the walls, but I think it'll be easy to do that a few bits at a time.

Lol, yeah, only in the off-season though... They're booked a year out right now.
View Quote

Late august to mid-october always was the best time to go.  That's when everything's migrating through there!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Almost packed up to head to Cola Warrior Keystone.

Got the mini bike, water, and generator loaded up.

Tonight my wife and I are going to go through the food we're bringing for the kiddo, then moving the coffee machine in there on Thursday, then we'll be off. And hopefully nothing important breaks while we're out.

Something will -- hopefully it doesn't make us too miserable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#37]
For generators check out These type
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For generators check out These type
View Quote

Yeah, I'm going to procure an inverter generator eventually. Right now this will do. Eventually I'll want a quieter one, which is when I'll do that.

It's an older Generac GP3300, and while it's perfectly suited to running the bare minimum home-essentials during a power outage (well pump, fridges, lights) it's a split-phase 3kw, so it's only 13.5a on each leg which makes it less than desirable for use with the bus.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#39]
We went boondocking to Cola Warrior Keystone. And the bus was great. The competition part of Cola Warrior sucked, but it always does, I don't know why I do it. It's "fun" or something I guess...

We ran the GP3300 to power the A/C at night and it ran off solar during the day. I need to get rid of the lead batteries and move to LiFePO4 as soon as possible, I could totally run the mini split off battery if I had better power storage.

I'll probably post a walkthrough video at some point soon, I just have to clean it up a bit before I do that -- living out of it as a family for three days made it kinda messy.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh, and for everyone who asked about the weights... After filling up, I hit the CAT Scale.

And, yeah, 6.9 MPG round trip.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We went boondocking to Cola Warrior Keystone. And the bus was great. The competition part of Cola Warrior sucked, but it always does, I don't know why I do it. It's "fun" or something I guess...

We ran the GP3300 to power the A/C at night and it ran off solar during the day. I need to get rid of the lead batteries and move to LiFePO4 as soon as possible, I could totally run the mini split off battery if I had better power storage.

I'll probably post a walkthrough video at some point soon, I just have to clean it up a bit before I do that -- living out of it as a family for three days made it kinda messy.

https://i.imgur.com/li4lYB8.png
https://i.imgur.com/AuRCUcc.png
https://i.imgur.com/bEKXket.png
https://i.imgur.com/ESxbkRd.png
https://i.imgur.com/UREbFz3.png
https://i.imgur.com/1oBvR53.png
View Quote

What great weather you guys had! Looks like a ton of fun.

ETA: And it looks like you still have 9000lbs to play with!
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#42]

This photo. Pure awesomeness.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#43]

As promised.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Nice!

Thanks for the walkthrough!  I wanted to get up to see it at CW, but never got around to it!  

By the way, it was nice meeting you and your family at the shoot!  I hope you enjoyed your time in Pennsylvania!
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Dewd...you need a pedi after all that work!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Excellent news! I actually drove 197.4 miles and filled with 26.626 gallons of diesel, so in actuality I got 7.41mpg, not 6.9.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#47]
So, not much new. I'm pretty happy with it, even without running water. However, my wife and daughter want that running water pronto...

So...

Now I've got a 24v pump, accumulator, and I'll figure out what I'm gonna do for a sink and countertop once I get the water lines and everything plumbed up. Then I'll figure out the water heater. The plan is to use a 1200w electric 2.3gallon water heater, and just get the water hot, then the ladies shower, then I turn it off and take my shower with whatever is left.

I did finally put some soundproofing foam, the sawtooth kind, in my daughter's bunk, and it made a really nice difference in how much perceived noise there is inside the bunk. It really "softens" the space, and makes it cozy. I do need to figure out how to get fresh air into the bunk without introducing light and noise. Maybe some kind of vent that draws air from underneath? I'll post in the RV salesman thread to get ideas/insight on how it's done in commercial RVs.

I also picked up a harbor freight inverter generator, one of the 2kw ones (actually 1800w), and it's not bad. It'll run the fridge, AC, and the floor drier/blower fan on medium before it flips the breaker on it, so that'll do. And it's insanely quiet, which is also very nice. I might build some kind of folding box for it to keep noise away a little more, but it's pretty good as-is. Not a bad deal for $325, hopefully it'll run all night when we go boondocking, and if it doesn't I'll put together an aux tank for it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I would suggest a propane water heater.

ETA:  Or diesel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:41:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The plan is to use a 1200w electric 2.3gallon water heater, and just get the water hot
View Quote

And you're going to use your batteries and solar system to power it?

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The plan is to use a 1200w electric 2.3gallon water heater, and just get the water hot

That's going to be a challenge.  That's a 10 amp load @ 120 volts.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top