Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same place. Hes used the old 243 the last couple years successfully but I dont load much in that caliber anymore and last years deer was odd in that it didnt bleed at all and made it further than desired on a slightly marginal hit.  I load alot of 6.5 now and already deer hunt with it and have two other target 6.5s.  Plus I'd like a handy bolt gun threaded for the suppressor.  Was looking at the new compact tc compass with a 16" threaded barrel.  The ruger looks like it's a shooter.
He's 13, 125lbs and 6'.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bendigo78:
I'm in the same place. Hes used the old 243 the last couple years successfully but I dont load much in that caliber anymore and last years deer was odd in that it didnt bleed at all and made it further than desired on a slightly marginal hit.  I load alot of 6.5 now and already deer hunt with it and have two other target 6.5s.  Plus I'd like a handy bolt gun threaded for the suppressor.  Was looking at the new compact tc compass with a 16" threaded barrel.  The ruger looks like it's a shooter.
He's 13, 125lbs and 6'.
View Quote

Holy string bean!

How's that work out with handling a rifle? Full size must be too heavy, but youth models too short LOP? Recoil beat him up with all the leverage?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:12:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bendigo78] [#3]
I give him the shooting sticks and a full size and he does pretty well but yes we did the struggle with weight of any gun that fit him. Handles recoil like he doesn't notice. He's right handed with terrible vision in his right eye so he tries shooting right handed and left eyed.  Can't get him to go left handed.

Oh and last night he says that the shoes we got him for this year are tight.  They're 13's.  His soccer shoes from 2 years ago fit me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bendigo78:
I give him the shooting sticks and a full size and he does pretty well but yes we did the struggle with weight of any gun that fit him. Handles recoil like he doesn't notice. He's right handed with terrible vision in his right eye so he tries shooting right handed and left eyed.  Can't get him to go left handed.

Oh and last night he says that the shoes we got him for this year are tight.  They're 13's.  His soccer shoes from 2 years ago fit me.
View Quote

Call up Shaq and buy used...

We had a guy in my company on Parris Island that wore work boots until 3rd phase. IIRC he was nearly 7ft. They literally didn't have boots big enough in the supply chain. He couldn't really do most rifle drill movements, because the M16 is too short to touch the ground.

Interested to hear what you settle on.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
6.5 something or other. I think its what ever kid should start with.

I have a deep prejudice against 6mm. Should not still be with bullets now made, but I still have it.

A lot of bullets blew up on contact making hideous flesh wounds. Animals able to go miles but obvious they where suffering.

Be in on tracking about 50 wounded animals and it sticks with you.

Even today I feel better with 223/5.56 on deer with a good bullet than 6 mm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By penrod72:
My son doesn't shoot a ton, and almost never centerfire rifle. His consistency is poor, but the rifle is accurate. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33704/IMG_20200823_175236217_jpg-1559222.JPG
Shots 1 and 2 at 50 yards about 1/2 inch 3rd shot opened that up to about 6 inches. He shot a few groups like that, with a different round as a flier each time.

He needs more practice, and i need reloading dies. Hoping to to have a few hundred rounds downrange before youth season starts.
View Quote

IMO this post should put .243 back on the table. It’s a very rewarding round to shoot and much more capable than I think your giving credit.

It was the 1,000 yard round of choice (target shooting) for a lot of people for a lot of years. It’s accurate, low recoil, flat trajectory and fun. All those lend to wanting to practice more. Mine is my daughters rifle but I always want to hog it for a bit when I take her shooting.

She’s 6’ and 150lbs, not recoil shy. I didn’t get it because she doesn’t like or want to shoot heavy calibers, because I knew she’d have more fun with that round.

They take a lot of large mule deer and elk every year.

All calibers you listed are gtg but wanted to point that out.

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
OP you sure your son only weigh's 130lbs?  You chose wisely but I would have suggest the 7mm08.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go with either 7mm-08 or the 308.  You can always select a load for a big variety of animals.   Nothing wrong with 6.5 CM or 243 either but I like the 7mm-08 and 308 just from having more experience with it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I vote 7mm-08.  We have 2, and have used them on deer and antelope with excellent results.  308 or 6.5 would be ok.  243 is much more likely to waste meat in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]
7mm-08

You can load reduced recoil rounds with 120gr bullets or push heavier bullets faster as he gets older.

Not much you cant kill in NA with a 7mm-08.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Has this young man got a chance to shoot some more?

I'm guessing rifle season is right around the corner for OP.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:56:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VeritatisUnus] [#13]
Why would a 243 be too light?

It isn’t.

Shot placement and bullet type trump caliber.

Google :Rockslide 77 TMK on Elk. That’s a good read.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:37:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cycolac] [#14]
My son shoots left handed due to a lazy eye so I bought him a Tikka T3 in 300 Win Mag. The only other reasonable option then for a stainless sythetic LH in 300WM was a Savage. I figured it would be the only rifle he would ever need for any north American big game-
- yes other calibers may be better but 300WM would work. I had a howitzer type brake put on it and he and I handloaded some reduced power loads when he started shooting.

He was around 10 at the time and very large for his age. He's all growed up now and uses the full power loads.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
I'd go with  7mm-08, since you already reload that.

Honestly, there's not that much difference between 243 7-08 and 308 in terms of their ability to make a clean kill.
View Quote

And you can load it as light or as powerful. My son piled up a bunch of deer with 6mm Remington handloads, before eventually moving to a 7mm Remington for clear cuts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By pite0007:
In this order:

7mm-08
6.5CM

Reasons: ammo availability, cost, popularity, versatility, commonality w/your other firearms.

But any will work just fine.
View Quote

How does 7-08 win out with your criteria? Did you weight commonality higher? 6.5 handily wins the the first three criteria and I suppose the fourth could be argued either way.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Joe731:

For deer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Joe731:
Originally Posted By penrod72:
243 is out - I think its too light.

For deer?

Westerners and field hunters love it, in the eastern woods it suffers in brush.  too fast
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By shotar:
Go into Walmart or whatever mart is local where you hunt. Get whichever one has the most common ammo on the shelf.

The experience of being two hours from home, realizing you left your ammo on the kitchen table, and having to buy a couple of boxes on the way, taught me this life lesson.
View Quote

A buttstock shell carrier helps alleviate that problem.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

Westerners and field hunters love it, in the eastern woods it suffers in brush.  too fast
View Quote

Monometals solve that in an instant.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:

I agree, except that once you push past 300 yards the 243 starts to peter out a bit compared to the others.
View Quote

This is why the 6CM is better than 243. Much more retained velocity at range.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:01:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Being a old fart I can recommend a 257 Roberts if you can lay your hands on one.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top