Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2017 9:15:42 PM EDT
I finally got my 9 point I got back on opening day of muzzleloader 2016 back from the taxidermist. This was from state land in eastern Virginia. The deer on the my left, your right is my first 9 point.

Sorry, my firstg time using imgur

Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice buck, great mount, looks excellent!
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice buck, great mount, looks excellent!
View Quote
Thanks. The taxidermist did an excellent job all around. Especially modifying the drift wood to incorporate it into the semi-sneak pose like he was the day he was harvested.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Medium sneak, quartering right?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:58:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks great. Nicely done
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep
That's how I had mine mounted.  Wish I would have thought of using driftwood though.  Beautiful buck you got there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Who did the mount? Looks great.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Who did the mount? Looks great.
View Quote
A place in southeast Kentucky called Farmer's Taxidermy. Im glad i looked around. The first place I took it to had only ever done 2 mounts and it showed. Poor guy was just getting his legs in the business. But I didn't want the biggest dear I'll ever get, getting messed up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful deer, and a well done mount. Be proud.

I ask everyone the same question. Why don't you smile in your hero pics? I always smile in mine, I am happy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Only a 9 point and you got it mounted?

jk.  Nice deer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Tough guy face. Very nice buck. Congrats.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome dude.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Beautiful deer, and a well done mount. Be proud.

I ask everyone the same question. Why don't you smile in your hero pics? I always smile in mine, I am happy.
View Quote
b

Thank you, and that is me smiling. Lol, really though, I just usually don't think about it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Great buck!!!

Did you score it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Great buck!!!

Did you score it?
View Quote
No, I had asked the taxidermist to do it since he has the experience to do it, and would likely be more accurate. I thought about getting the tape from Wal-mart to do it myself. I'd really like to know.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't bother with the tape...it's a one and done.  You probably have what you need for a basic measurement in your house.

All you need is some string, or I use some weed eater material.  And a tape measure.  Use the string to make the measurements since it bends easily, then measure the length of hte string on the tape measure.  There's some great YouTube tutorials...but it's pretty easy especially on typical deer like that.

Basically measure the following:

1.  From the base above the eye, up and around the outside of the main beam to the tip.  
2.  Length of each tine, measure from the tip, to a a line where the main beam would go if the tine wasn't there.(for your 9, the left will have 4 and the right will have 3)
3.  4 mass measurements regardless of how many points the deer has they all get 4 mass measurements, which is the smallest measurement measured between the first and second points, second and third points, and then two measurements between the third point and the end of the main beam for the 4 point side.  For the 5 point side, go between the last point and the tip in the middle for the 4th measurement.
4.  The largest measurement between the main beams (but the measurement has to be perpendicular to the center line of the head if you want to be super accurate)

All measurements are to the nearest 8th inch.  So if it's 21 and one half inch, it's marked as 21 4/8ths.

For gross score, just add up all the measurements you took.  For a net score, you have to deduct any differences between the two sides.  So if your G1 (brow tines) masurements were 5 on the left and 6 on the right, you would deduct 1 inch from your gross.  This goes for all measurements besides the inside spread obviously.  Technically  that entire extra point on the left side is going to be a deduction.

I'm going to guess in the 160" gross range.  He's a beaut.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice. I like that mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top