Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2017 11:01:23 PM EDT
Not legal here and I've only ever hunted in PA. Just wondering, how many of you live in states where it is legal? And if so, do you do it?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It's illegal to hunt any large game animals over bait here. 

I keep a salt lick and a deer corn cube on the border of my land and forest to keep deer away from my garden, I don't feel guilty when season opens and I see a buck in the back yard and shoot him.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope... haven't had an opportunity to hunt over bait.
But it is perfectly fine that the farm I hunt always seems to harvest an acre of corn right before various seasons open... shame that old harvester leaks/spills as much as it does... they really should look into a newer model one of these years...
Not that I hunt that field often... got 2 acres of clover/rape/chickory mix growing in front of my primary setup.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I deer hunt areas where we drop corn and molasses it works great.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#4]
South Florida..It is not as easy as you might think. The finicky fuckers may or may not show up. Regardless of what the camera shows. Just show up. Be quiet. Get in the stand and wait. Really no different than sitting in a stand anywhere else.
Absolutely no magic food or additive seems to have an effect on swamp deer. We tried everything. Deer cane, molasses, cut fucking fruit, different grains, mineral licks.  They either show up or not. Hell..watch them walk right past corn on the ground.
We got them on camera but they do not come every day.
Private lease. 8pt or better rule so I get to watch the non 8pt Deer frolic. If they show up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Part of this state hunting over bait is legal, the rest it is not. For bow hunting it is pure magic.
I have used most everything on the market at one time or another, I do more supplemental feeding then baiting though.
For the last few weeks I have found a cherry flavored block from tractor supply draws them right in.
All the deer from the fawns with spots to the bucks are killing this block like I have never seen.
This block is next to the corn feeder so they have both.
Baits/salts/feed all work differently at different times of year.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to hunt KY and we did a little bit with corn. Never impressed me all that much; mostly just saw little deer. We quit bothering with it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I hunt in KY exclusively which allows bait.  We use corn at camera sites for inventory purposes.  Sometimes we hunt where there's a bait site; sometimes we don't.  The corn isn't a determining factor that drives us to hunt a particular stand.  If I'm hunting bucks, I won't hunt near a bait site because we RARELY see mature bucks at bait sites during daylight hours.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Here in Texas it is completely legal, And yes, I hunt over bait. That being said its not as easy as one may think. Really though, hunting over feeders/ bait isn't any different than hunting over cut CRP fields or food plots.

If you just want to kill a deer, any deer, then yes hunting over corn makes it a little easier, but if you are hunting for a true mature trophy buck, your chances of getting him over corn/ bait is very slim.

Most of the deer over 3 years old I encounter are extremely cautious of feeders, the young ones, not so much.

I am strictly a bow hunter these days when it comes to deer hunting, you have to draw them in close and putting out some corn certainly helps but is not a guarantee.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I hunt in an area where I have about a 20 acre field of view and there are 2 feeders visible. I see more deer passing through the area than ones that go to the feeders.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here in Texas it is completely legal, And yes, I hunt over bait. That being said its not as easy as one may think. Really though, hunting over feeders/ bait isn't any different than hunting over cut CRP fields or food plots.

If you just want to kill a deer, any deer, then yes hunting over corn makes it a little easier, but if you are hunting for a true mature trophy buck, your chances of getting him over corn/ bait is very slim.

Most of the deer over 3 years old I encounter are extremely cautious of feeders, the young ones, not so much.

I am strictly a bow hunter these days when it comes to deer hunting, you have to draw them in close and putting out some corn certainly helps but is not a guarantee.
View Quote
Drawing a deer into a 5 acre bean field is most definitely not the same as drawing one into a feeder.  Especially when bow hunting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you hunt over corn/soybeans, how about acorn trees?  Dumping it out of a feeder really isn't all that different.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I have hunted in a few states where baiting was legal and is now frowned upon for various reasons. When we did hunt baited land I was able to see far more deer than no bait. I agree that the typical bait pile will bring in some young deer during the early hours , but have seen a number of nice deer just before legal setting time.

Down in corn country I do not think it works all that well , but get up into the big woods it does.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Legal in my area. We have a few feeders on the farm. I mostly kill hogs on the feeders. As others have said you won't (at least I dont) see mature bucks just strolling out to a feeder.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Baiting is illegal in Missouri.

Minerals such as salt are allowed in Missouri, but no food or artificial or even natural flavors like cherry or molasses are allowed to be mixed in.

I know a Sheriff's deputy who was ticketed for hunting over bait that didn't even know the feeder was there. He could see a trail in the grass and set his stand up to overlook it.  Game warden came along and pointed out a feeder about 200 yards up the path he could barely see and said since he was on the trail leading to the feeder it was considered baited.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I do and it is perfectly legal.  I hunt over corn, alfalfa, carrots, and feed.  None of that helps when there are acorns on the ground though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Minerals such as salt are allowed in Missouri, but no food or artificial or even natural flavors like cherry or molasses are allowed to be mixed in.

I know a Sheriff's deputy who was ticketed for hunting over bait that didn't even know the feeder was there. He could see a trail in the grass and set his stand up to overlook it.  Game warden came along and pointed out a feeder about 200 yards up the path he could barely see and said since he was on the trail leading to the feeder it was considered baited.
View Quote
Oh..... I may have been cutting it close then.   I put out those mineral licks that have other stuff mixed in most years around the game cameras to get them to hang around for a few pictures.  Usually by November it's nothing more than a mudhole they have stomped into the ground but one or two years there has been a little bit still left there.   Doesn't seem to matter much.   The young ones might or might not visit in November but the big bucks and does become nocturnal right at the start of the season and don't often even show up in the wee hours of the morning.  My property is not big enough to have many living there, they just pass through.  Once the shooting starts, the ones that have been around the block don't do much passing in daylight.

It's a bit stupid really.   I can plant an acre of turnips which they eat like crack candy some years and I'm fine.   I put out a lick with some corn in it and I'm a dirty poacher.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is why I hate baiting laws - besidse a food plot is basically trying to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#19]
They justify the anti-baiting laws (here at least) by saying baiting draws an unnaturally large number of deer into a concentrated area, and promotes the spread of CWD.
I kinda see that point, to an extent...
I can see not wanting a group to dump 20 bushels of corn/bait routinely and drawing hundreds of deer over a long period of time....
BUT, I don't see the harm in using bait blocks, or timed feeders... both of which are legal to use outside of the seasons. All must be removed 30 day prior to, and all "residue" must be gone by the season start.
So they're cool with increasing the risk of CWD outside the seasons, but not during?

And they do absolutely NOTHING to the PETA-types who buy a truckload of feed and dump it in their backyards 2 days prior to opening day....
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#20]
We can bait here and I put corn/pellets out for them. Some of my best deer spots don't have feeders though. I use them more to get an idea of what's in the area and for spots to get a doe or two during bow season. I don't have very many big bucks coming to feeders in daylight hours. If they do hit them, it's at night.

Bait makes all the difference in the world for hogs though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They justify the anti-baiting laws (here at least) by saying baiting draws an unnaturally large number of deer into a concentrated area, and promotes the spread of CWD.
I can see not wanting a group to dump 20 bushels of corn/bait routinely and drawing hundreds of deer over a long period of time....
BUT, I don't see the harm in using bait blocks, or timed feeders... both of which are legal to use outside of the seasons. All must be removed 30 day prior to, and all "residue" must be gone by the season start.
So they're cool with increasing the risk of CWD outside the seasons, but not during?

And they do absolutely NOTHING to the PETA-types who buy a truckload of feed and dump it in their backyards 2 days prior to opening day....
View Quote
Yep; that's my issue with that reason as well. In reality I think it's just a social issue and comes down to whatever one grew up under.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't bother with bait.  I just learn to pattern the deer as much as I can.  I have neighbors that bait, and I can always tell with what as the does I shoot are all full of what they put out.  The big bucks here will avoid bait piles, especially during daylight hours anyway as they associate them with danger.  

I do have the farmer that rents from me leave up a few rows of corn every fall, but that is more to help the deer and birds going into winter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Careful, minerals/salts/anything is illegal in certain counties that require cwd testing....I believe this year it is up to 29 counties.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#24]
You can hunt over bait in PA but you need to reside in the southeast portion of the state and have a permit for it (landowner has to have it and ou need a copy). I think they do this in these areas specifically because they are highly populated and this allows the hunters to draw them away from roads and such.

This will be my first year hunting with it on my girlfriends property so I'm interested to see how it works out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't bother with bait.  I just learn to pattern the deer as much as I can.  I have neighbors that bait, and I can always tell with what as the does I shoot are all full of what they put out.  The big bucks here will avoid bait piles, especially during daylight hours anyway as they associate them with danger.  

I do have the farmer that rents from me leave up a few rows of corn every fall, but that is more to help the deer and birds going into winter.
View Quote
I just don't know what I believe this.  Unless you're leaving a lot of scent when you get your bait out or you are putting it out in wide open areas this just hasn't held water in my experience.

This will be my first year hunting over bait as they opened up a few counties in WI that I found some private land to hunt so I'm basing this purely off of what I have witnessed others do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Perfectly legal in NC.

The only rule that I know of is if the county allows black bear hunting it has to be a bait marketed for deer (IIRC).

I do it all the time with pretty good results. Mostly just corn spread around a 15ft area so the deer have to walk around a bit. I've seen people dump a bunch in one place and the deer just sits there and eats for a while giving the guy no shot for almost an hour.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just don't know what I believe this.  Unless you're leaving a lot of scent when you get your bait out or you are putting it out in wide open areas this just hasn't held water in my experience.

This will be my first year hunting over bait as they opened up a few counties in WI that I found some private land to hunt so I'm basing this purely off of what I have witnessed others do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My experience mirror's FZJ80's. (KY)
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes, perfectly legal here in Arkansas.  You won't find many tree stands set up without a automatic corn feeder within 50 yards.  They definitely pull in the deer, but in all my years of hunting them, I've never seen a big buck come to one during daylight hours.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think for a while feeding was banned in MI. It looks like it's currently allowed according to the DNR. But they do mention
Feed must be at least 100 yards from any area accessible to cattle, goats, sheep, new world camelids, bison, swine, horses or captive cervidae.
and for hunting they mention
To minimize exposure of deer to diseases that may be present, the DNR recommends not placing bait or feed repeatedly at the same point on the ground, and only baiting when actively hunting.
They've been going back and forth in recent years over when and where you can bait. So you have to check frequently as you're planning for the season.
IME, the benefit to baiting is it's distracts the deer more so than brings them in. And corn is only good if you want to watch Blue Jays.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Deer.

It's food.

Hunt over bait if you want.

Hunt over food plots if you want.

As long as we are managing the herd correctly, who cares.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Not legal in my state but we have shot a bunch when the combine harvest corn and sorghum fields where they make their turns and drop piles at fields edge.  I plant food plots and hunt them and see no real difference.  I can hunt by an apple tree but if I put 5 apples out I'm a criminal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Whats the difference if I hunt a cornfield or put corn in a field?  Hunt a peanut field or put peanuts in a field?   I got my way your got yours.    I also dont complan about the 20 trucks running around with 3 packs of dogs chasing deer from here to hell and back...while fucking up my relaxing nap time in a deer stand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Perfectly legal in NC.

The only rule that I know of is if the county allows black bear hunting it has to be a bait marketed for deer (IIRC).

I do it all the time with pretty good results. Mostly just corn spread around a 15ft area so the deer have to walk around a bit. I've seen people dump a bunch in one place and the deer just sits there and eats for a while giving the guy no shot for almost an hour.
View Quote
Yes and No

Yes on private lands
No on game lands

CD
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep
MI is legal
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes in Texas.  

I have 2 feeders but never see big mature bucks at the feeders, mostly doe, hogs, and really young bucks during the summer months.  I have bow stands set up 30 yards from the feeders.  

To intercept the big bucks my rifle box stand is in a area where all of them travel back and forth from water to bedding areas.  Hoping to catch the big bucks chasing doe during the rut.  Could be anywhere from 50-100 yard shot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Legal here in Kentucky. I plant a small food plot and spread corn from about Sept. until Dec. The bait holds the does, and the does draw the bucks in during the rut.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Illegal in TN. We used to hunt Ohio corn fields and even then we would get some molasses covered corn and put it in the corners just to give them a different taste. It helped during crossbow season to get them into the corners. 

Now in TN, mineral blocks are ok if they meet certain requirements. 51% mineral content, no corn in it, etc. Trophy Rocks are kind of the standard fare with the guys I know that hunt. 

I do admit that I get a little bit of entertainment from people who look down their nose at baiting, but hunt over foodplots. Not talking about anybody here, but it takes a little mental gymnastics to hold that position. 
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Illegal in TN. We used to hunt Ohio corn fields and even then we would get some molasses covered corn and put it in the corners just to give them a different taste. It helped during crossbow season to get them into the corners. 

Now in TN, mineral blocks are ok if they meet certain requirements. 51% mineral content, no corn in it, etc. Trophy Rocks are kind of the standard fare with the guys I know that hunt. 

I do admit that I get a little bit of entertainment from people who look down their nose at baiting, but hunt over foodplots. Not talking about anybody here, but it takes a little mental gymnastics to hold that position. 
View Quote
It's the whirring of the feeder going off like a dinner bell.

Most times at the same time each day.
( anyone heard about folks setting their timers to go off outside legal shooting time ? )

And a lot less work getting it into their bellies.

Nailing a big buck over those conditions wouldn't draw the same pride from me as one I got on public land hundreds of yards from a food plot.

But like I said earlier.

Deer is food.

Delicious food.

As well as a managed resource.

When it's time to harvest, who cares if you use a combine, 100% manual labor, a gun, bow, fertilizer, or bait.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

( anyone heard about folks setting their timers to go off outside legal shooting time ? )

Nailing a big buck over those conditions wouldn't draw the same pride from me as one I got on public land hundreds of yards from a food plot.

But like I said earlier.

Deer is food.

Delicious food.

When it's time to harvest, who cares if you use a combine, 100% manual labor, a gun, bow, fertilizer, or bait.
View Quote
Having never hunted with feeders, I didn’t consider that angle. Good post all around. 
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, that is your experience.  27 years of deer hunting here in MI and I personally have never seen a buck worth shooting near bait during daylight hours.  You may be in an area with little food, and of course they will come in in that case.  I like to pattern the bucks, and sit back away from where they will be eating and catch them when I can actually legally take a shot.  

Every area is different, when I hunted public land, a 2.5 year old buck was a trophy.  Now that I have 160 acres, I'll fill the freezer with does before I bother with anything smaller than a big 8, unless it is some kind of non-typical unique rack.  

I know my neighbors bait, and they don't have much luck from it besides a few scrawny 6 point bucks that wander in.  They do a good job spending money to fatten the does I shoot, though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Having never hunted with feeders, I didn’t consider that angle. Good post all around. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But like I said earlier.

Deer is food.

Delicious food.

Thanks.

I love hunting deer from a stand.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#44]
O yew, perfectly legal hear in La.   A few pics from the other night.

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#45]
It's legal and I do it.
Direct correlation of "bait" and deer use of my little 20 acres.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Not legal here. Its bow season now, but I dont bow hunt.

I'll take my feeder down a few days before gun season, because the feeder is close to the food plot i planted late september.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Didnt do it ever in 20 seasons, dad never did in 50.  Dad bought a bag of sugar beets last year.  Split them in two and placed half near his spot and half near mine.  They were mostly gone in a week.  A little buck came to nibble on the remains and I took him opening morning.

I have a few very small piles at a couple locations on my property, just two or three sugar beets each, just enough to keep some interest for the does to keep cruising through (no antlerless licenses in the Upper Peninsula) in hopes of seeing a bigger buck following one of them.  So far everything has come through at night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top