Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2013 12:09:44 PM EDT
Built my first deer stand this weekend with the help of my dad. We built it out of 3/4" square tubing. Bought some really nice sliding glass windows. Covered it in OSB we got for free. Painted two gallons of KILZ on it and then a gallon of tan exterior paint. I bought some camo green and brown spray paint. How should I do the camo? I was thinking of just using a branch? Any ideas? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Us welding the frame.

The frame almost finished

Side view with kilz and tan base coat

Front view

Interior view through side window. Notice two triangular corner shelves and then one in the front
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd suggest painting the top half of the inside a dark color as well. That way your profile will be harder to pickup through the windows.

And as far as the exterior, I usually just swirl black and brown if my base is olive. If you think you need more than that, maybe use some large oak leaves as a stencil. Looks good. Good luck this season!

ETA... I'll try to take a picture of one of my stands in the next couple of days.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Do some random shapes and patterns. As long as you break the shape of the blind up it should work.....
Also put something up on the window behind you so any head movements won't be noticed from the outside
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The deer don't care what color or camo pattern it is.  You could paint it blaze orange if you want to.

They will notice it is something new and be a bit skiddish of it for a few days, then they will walk right past it without a care in the world.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The deer don't care what color or camo pattern it is.  You could paint it blaze orange if you want to.

They will notice it is something new and be a bit skiddish of it for a few days, then they will walk right past it without a care in the world.
View Quote

This is spot on advice.  We have 16-8'x8'x5' around the ranch all painted OD green.  I have had deer walk within feet of me while I am in the blind.  

We painted the inside of all the blinds with the same OD green it really cut down on the light reflection off of clothing.  One other thing that will help

keep you from being seen by animals is put some sort of awning over the windows it will keep the interior darker and will help at sunup and sundown.

We have used fixed plywood and plywood on hinges above the windows so they are flush when the blind is not being used, to prop the plywood up we

took a 12" bolt and drilled a hole in a 2x4 on the inside and one for it to go through the exterior to prop it up its fully adjustable to whatever size

opening you want just push the bolt in and out to adjust it.  If it didn't take me an hour to upload a photo I would so you could see it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
All great ideas. I really appreciate it. I forgot to add that we have some tin that we are ping to put on the top once it's all painted.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Ours have a metal roof on them as well. It should be gtg as long as its not placed where anything can fall on it and possibly spook the deer. We also put carpet on the floor to help deaden noise made from a dropped item or moving the chair if need be. Cheap, sometimes free remnants.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ours have a metal roof on them as well. It should be gtg as long as its not placed where anything can fall on it and possibly spook the deer. We also put carpet on the floor to help deaden noise made from a dropped item or moving the chair if need be. Cheap, sometimes free remnants.
View Quote

I actually got a piece of carpet from a neighbor who is on the lease that lives next door. He was replacing some in his house and thought of me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#10]
One other thing that will help keep you from being seen by animals is put some sort of awning over the windows it will keep the interior darker and will help at sunup and sundown
View Quote

Awning will also help if you get snow, or worse, freezing rain, blowing at an angle. I was in a stand last November in the northern mid-west just south of the Canadian border and I had freezing rain coming at me at a 45 degree angle. I had to keep the windows closed so the freezing rain wouldn't blow inside the stand. The windows began to ice over obscuring my visibility. Probably didn't matter anyway, deer were more than likely bedded down somewhere that day. Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Awning will also help if you get snow, or worse, freezing rain, blowing at an angle. I was in a stand last November in the northern mid-west just south of the Canadian border and I had freezing rain coming at me at a 45 degree angle. I had to keep the windows closed so the freezing rain wouldn't blow inside the stand. The windows began to ice over obscuring my visibility. Probably didn't matter anyway, deer were more than likely bedded down somewhere that day. Just food for thought.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
One other thing that will help keep you from being seen by animals is put some sort of awning over the windows it will keep the interior darker and will help at sunup and sundown

Thanks but it doesn't snow where we hunt much if ever. I will have a tin over hang on the top but won't be doing a awning over the windows for now. Have enough cash in the stand as it sits. Maybe in the future. Figure I have enough time to do add ons. My dads stand built similar to this one has been going strong for 18 years. He has plexiglass windows that he had to replace once and it's about time to change out the plywood. We plan on my lasting as long or longer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]
wrap it with camo netting and it will give some texture and dimension to the camo job.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
wrap it with camo netting and it will give some texture and dimension to the camo job.

View Quote

This actually crossed my mind. May do this in the future.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Another option is to just lean cut off branches against to brush it in, I have done this on a lot of bow pop up blinds hunters want to put up for their hunt.  It works

for them but I don't see the point the animals need to get used to the blind being there.  I have done it to permanent blinds when the land owner has said he likes

the look but it does not really add any camo to the set up for these locations.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#15]
As long as you get it out soon enough for the deer to get used to it you should be good to go. All my stands are painted a solid color and they don't care because they have been there for years.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_19/321800_Sponge_Camo_Tutorial.html

You could try the sponge camo just on a larger scale!!!
Just use a full sponge instead of a piece of one.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I ended up having to paint it in place and didn't have much to work with.  I'll get some pics next time I go to the lease.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top