Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/28/2010 12:10:36 PM EDT
The first time I went hunting I used a black Camelbak Lobo to carry water and some other minor supplies. It was way too small and really stood out. I've since been looking at picking up the Camelbak Stiker in AP. However, having a backpack dedicated to hunting seems sort of stupid so I've been looking at other backpacks that blend well into my camo. I have some AP and APG items. While at REI yesterday I found two pretty good potentials: Camelbak Day Star (yes, this is a chick pack, but I like the way the shoulder straps flare for shouldering a rifle) and the Arc'Teryx Mantis. Neither is completely perfect, colorwise, but they aren't camo. So I took some pictures to see what the opinions are. On the left side is the Arc'Teryx and on the right is the Camelbak.

AP

APG

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 12:20:55 PM EDT
The one on the left.. Blacks and dark colors can have a shadow effect, and give you more depth, however most critters I hunt don't mind if my belt doesn't match my boots, so I wouldn't loose to much sleep over it
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 3:04:34 PM EDT
Those are both too glossy for my preferences, they will shine like nothing else in the woods. Coyote or OD green are fine in Tx, trust me.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 5:42:33 AM EDT by supremeweasel67]
I use my "old" Blackhawk "OD" backpack.
I place camel back inside main compartment interior pocket.

Use the main compartment of whatever large items I have, and then the exterior pocket for little items.
Cinch straps for extra items, Parka, Wet Weather gear, Woobie, etc...

If hunting in tree stand, I just hang from stand seat, so can access while sitting.
If on the ground, then just place on ground next to me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:54:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By supremeweasel67:
I use my "old" Blackhawk "OD" backpack....

Don't you mean TB instead of OD?
TB being your favorite color, turd brown.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:02:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By danc46:
Originally Posted By supremeweasel67:
I use my "old" Blackhawk "OD" backpack....

Don't you mean TB instead of OD?
TB being your favorite color, turd brown.

Before my time, I entered when still allowed ODs.
You on the other hand sent Washington his first "Support the Troops" Card while he was at Valley Forge.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:54:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By -FiveFiveSIx-:
..... however most critters I hunt don't mind if my belt doesn't match my boots, so I wouldn't loose to much sleep over it

I've used a plain forest green back pack for deer hunting plenty of times. Heck you have to wear some blaze orange anyways during gun season.

Movement, noise, and smell spook deer. The color of your back pack isn't going to concern them.

Besides that if you are walking or still hunting through the woods your back pack is on your back. If the deer can see your backpack you won't see them because you will be looking the other direction. If you are on your stand just place the pack between your feet.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:18:56 AM EDT
OMG...that so clashes. Do not stand near me!

P
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:27:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By VaFish:
..... however most critters I hunt don't mind if my belt doesn't match my boots, so I wouldn't loose to much sleep over it

I've used a plain forest green back pack for deer hunting plenty of times. Heck you have to wear some blaze orange anyways during gun season.

Movement, noise, and smell spook deer. The color of your back pack isn't going to concern them.

Besides that if you are walking or still hunting through the woods your back pack is on your back. If the deer can see your backpack you won't see them because you will be looking the other direction. If you are on your stand just place the pack between your feet.

My grandfather used to walk into the woods, with red flannel and blue jeans on opening day of shot gun season at 9 30 stand by a tree and light a smoke.. He would stand there for about 20 minutes to an hour, and every year, all the hunters that had been sitting all morning would go to stretch, or grab some food, and bump deer. Every year he would fill all his tags.. While he was bow hunting, he would were a light gray shirt, and brown pants, he would always tell me, if deer are looking up, you want to blend in with the sky.. Long bow, and single shot 12 gauge, and no cammo and every year he was able to give away meat and fill his freezer.. [://.. Its just like that old saying, most fishing lures are designed to catch fisherman. People get so caught up in the latest and greatest gear they loose touch with the basics....

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:43:23 AM EDT
..... Its just like that old saying, most fishing lures are designed to catch fisherman. People get so caught up in the latest and greatest gear they loose touch with the basics....

You're preaching gospel, brother. Just how many are going to listen though?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:47:53 AM EDT
..... Its just like that old saying, most fishing lures are designed to catch fisherman. People get so caught up in the latest and greatest gear they loose touch with the basics....

You're preaching gospel, brother. Just how many are going to listen though?

honestly, If someone wants to spend 100s of dollars on the latest and greatest, and it works for them? I don't blame them for not listening, Me personally? I think of the thousands of years man has been on this planet killing wild game, and just laugh at some of the modern bullshit that you "need" in order to be successful, Scent blocking clothing??? what ever happened to hunting with the wind in your face?? Its because of things like this you have idiots running around in the woods with no skills, shooting at running deer, or anything that moves. Expensive gear will never out perform skill and experience....
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:08:30 AM EDT
..... Expensive gear will never out perform skill and experience....

Then again there are those with money and no sense that are blind ass lucky too.
No matter what they do.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:20:39 PM EDT
..... Expensive gear will never out perform skill and experience....

Then again there are those with money and no sense that are blind ass lucky too.
No matter what they do.

There was a story from my neck of the woods about 10 years back about 2 citydots (as I call them) who came out to the sticks to go deer hunting. All band new gear, guns atvs ect, lunch time opening day they were at the local bar bragging about their kills, they had 2 grey hound dogs gutted in the back of there shinny SUV... [://..
Iv gotten my fair share of dear of sheer luck, but luck will and does run out, and that's when skill, and experience can turn a lousy hunt into a successful one.. I'm afraid we have high jacked this guys thread, good conversation none the less...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:05:41 AM EDT
I purchased a Badlands pack for hunting, one of the best investments I have made. Its camo, but I only use it when hunting so it remains relatively odor free and I can leave certain supplies in it year round. Its very versatile and fits and feels great when wearing it. It was recommended to me by a friend who guides for Elk/Mulies in Colorado, the climbing at elevation and packing game out really puts packs at a premium for those hunts.
Top Top