Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I turned on the radio in the shack for a regional 160m net tonight ( Tues)

. Checked in and waited 1 hr 15 minutes to say 2 minutes of my monologue about my 160m doublet and modified 160m 1KW Johnson Matchbox

it is an AM net so I was transmitting +-5khz bandwidth with my non-broadcast voice

took me a while to remember how everything worked and I initially tried to tune the antenna before connecting the double throw knife switch on the 600 ohm ladder line, but no harm done.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mach:

. Checked in and waited 1 hr 15 minutes to say 2 minutes of my monologue about my 160m doublet and modified 160m 1KW Johnson Matchbox

it is an AM net so I was transmitting +-5khz bandwidth with my non-broadcast voice

took me a while to remember how everything worked and I initially tried to tune the antenna before connecting the double throw knife switch on the 600 ohm ladder line, but no harm done.
View Quote

Hopefully, you found what the other folks were saying to be somewhat interesting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:22:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#3]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

Hopefully, you found what the other folks were saying to be somewhat interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

not in the least.

but 160m is my favorite band. it is like driving on country roads enjoying the smooth winding road snd quiet compared to driving in big city traffic with people honking their horns in stop and go traffic and bouncing in and out of potholes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]

not in the least.

but 160m is my favorite band. it is like driving on country roads enjoying the smooth winding road snd quiet compared to driving in big city traffic with people honking their horns in stop and go traffic and bouncing in and out of potholes.
View Quote

Bummer. I still don't have anything I can tune to use 160. It is somewhere on the big list of things to do.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Nets are pretty boring to me. Not really sure the purpose other than tradition. Sure, in an emergency situation they serve a purpose. But every day stuff? No thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
Nets are pretty boring to me. Not really sure the purpose other than tradition. Sure, in an emergency situation they serve a purpose. But every day stuff? No thanks.
View Quote
True, but its like target shooting.  You don't need to do it, but it keeps you and your gear ready.  Every day is over kill for that purpose.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
View Quote

Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
True, but its like target shooting.  You don't need to do it, but it keeps you and your gear ready.  Every day is over kill for that purpose.
View Quote

I think that if you get to know the people, even to a small extent, that a net can be interesting. For example, the SSB net we have on Tuesday nights. I get to hear what our people have been up to lately, and I find that interesting. Of course, random people will also come along and check in, but that's fine, too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
So much truth in this thread. It seems the only I do as of late is piss off my wife.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]

I think that if you get to know the people, even to a small extent, that a net can be interesting. For example, the SSB net we have on Tuesday nights. I get to hear what our people have been up to lately, and I find that interesting. Of course, random people will also come along and check in, but that's fine, too.
View Quote

Arf nets are cool.  The business only nets, like our state emergency net or the the uhf sky watchers nets are not terribly interesting.  Usually just a check in/out by many.  But these are the nets I want to be familiar with.  The sky watchers are awesome when a band of storms comes through and you know a tornado watch is in effect, especially if you lose power and internet.   They will track anything moving through the area for hours.  The emergency net is where I will look for directions to the superdome when the big one goes down, or if you want to know if the NG has shoot on sight after dark orders.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
True, but it's like target shooting.  You don't need to do it, but it keeps you and your gear ready.  Every day is over kill for that purpose.
View Quote
I have zero interest in emcomm anyway. But, me doing portable operations in POTA and other various modes does more to keep me  up to date than checking into a net.

View Quote
I guess. But for me I'd just as soon ragchew with you guys and get to know you better personally and keep up that way than waiting for Tuesdays for us each to get a few mins air time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I have always enjoyed the technical info and the projects I could do to create a station than ever actually talking on the thing.  However finding POTA stations seems to interest me.   I actually made two voice contacts last week and it was easy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:32:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I like making antennas and trying them out. Using low power with various antennas is enjoyable to me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I build LMR radio systems in my day job. I am loosely affiliated with several prepper groups as the COMMO GUY. I enjoy building and troubleshooting radio systems, but really dislike talking on them. Dislike participating in all the ham stuff (the hamfests here in AZ are shrinking 25-30% each year over the last 3 years I have been here). Lately, have been working to support prepper hammies. But, many of them don't want to know anything. They just seem to want to buy a thing that they will pull out and use when the time comes. So....... ALE, a small amplifier, and Terminated antennas it is! TT
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:55:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#14]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
I like making antennas and trying them out. Using low power with various antennas is enjoyable to me.
View Quote

I like making antennas also.

I have been working on a mobile mag loop for 100 watts that fits in or on my truck, specifically for regional comm on 40 meters, and maybe 80.

I would like to get it up on the luggage rack, but that means it has to survive 70 MPH winds without coming apart and crashing into the cars in back of me on the highway. That is the hard part.

I have put it in the bed under the fiberglass cap and get a 30 db gain on receive ( using the S meter on a 7300, so it may not be entirely accurate ) on 40 meters for a 300 mile station during the day,  which certainly isn't ground wave so it must be NVIS or close to it compared to my mobile vertical, but transmitting caused the traction control to go off line for weeks.

So I am still sporadically working on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#15]

I have been working on a mobile mag loop for 100 watts that fits in or on my truck, specifically for regional comm on 40 meters, and maybe 80.

I would like to get it up on the luggage rack, but that means it has to survive 70 MPH winds without coming apart and crashing into the cars in back of me on the highway. That is the hard part.

I have put it in the bed under the fiberglass cap and get a 30 db gain on receive ( using the S meter on a 7300, so it may not be entirely accurate ) on 40 meters for a 300 mile station during the day,  which certainly isn't ground wave so it must be NVIS or close to it compared to my mobile vertical, but transmitting caused the traction control to go off line for weeks.

View Quote

Bolded. Yeah, maybe don't do that then.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mike327:

View All Quotes

I think if I can get it on the roof rack instead of in the bed, it will fix that RFI problem, maybe.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]

I think if I can get it on the roof rack instead of in the bed, it will fix that RFI problem, maybe.
View All Quotes

I put quite a few chokes on both power cables, coax, control head cable, and mic cable and also ran a ground strap from both the radio and tuner to a bolt that was connected to the frame. That got rid of a bunch of quirky things in my Jeep. It also got rid of a bunch of RF noise on my radio transmissions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:51:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#18]

View All Quotes

I have a 2017 wrangler and if I TX while driving it will set off the traction control light and cruise control stops working.  I have my radio grounded at the battery and I could possibly fix this by shortening the ground lead.  The radio is mounted above the rear view mirror though so it does need a longer ground lead.  

My temporary solution was to reduce power to 50W.  It hasn't set it off since.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

I put quite a few chokes on both power cables, coax, control head cable, and mic cable and also ran a ground strap from both the radio and tuner to a bolt that was connected to the frame. That got rid of a bunch of quirky things in my Jeep. It also got rid of a bunch of RF noise on my radio transmissions.
View Quote

I might have to try some ferrites too.  Is your jeep a wrangler? JK, JL?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:45:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#20]

View All Quotes

I have an ugly balun ( because I didn’t want to cut the coax ) and a bunch of chokes on the coax, but I should choke the power cable next

I also have not grounded the radio or the tuner, so that is a good idea, I mean they are grounded via the coax shield and the negative to the battery, but I didn’t think to do a short RF ground to the chassis.

I have the mag loop working on 80, 60, 40 meters.

But I have to remake it stronger so it can do 70 mph+

I have no RFI problems on my regular mobile vertical at 100 watts, just the mag loop in the bed.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#21]
There are a couple wheel sensors in close proximity to the bed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
There are a couple wheel sensors in close proximity to the bed.
View Quote

Good point, I had not thought of that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

View All Quotes

Nope, smaller. 2016 Jeep Cherokee with electronic everydamnthing. Smaller is worse from an RF standpoint because the distance from the source to the destination is smaller.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Nope, smaller. 2016 Jeep Cherokee with electronic everydamnthing. Smaller is worse from an RF standpoint because the distance from the source to the destination is smaller.
View Quote

Okay just wondering.  It's funny that the same systems are malfunctioning across different vehicles, but I guess whatever makes them vulnerable to RF is probably the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Okay just wondering.  It's funny that the same systems are malfunctioning across different vehicles, but I guess whatever makes them vulnerable to RF is probably the same thing.
View All Quotes

Yeah, RF getting into electronics is some voodoo art and can really cause some glitchy behavior. I had a coffee maker here in the apartment that would click and clack when I keyed up when I had a different antenna. Put a bunch of ferrites on the coax on the radio side. That made it less annoying but was still happening. I never got around to putting ferrites on the power cord going into it where I think the RF was getting into the unit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:47:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Yeah, RF getting into electronics is some voodoo art and can really cause some glitchy behavior. I had a coffee maker here in the apartment that would click and clack when I keyed up when I had a different antenna. Put a bunch of ferrites on the coax on the radio side. That made it less annoying but was still happening. I never got around to putting ferrites on the power cord going into it where I think the RF was getting into the unit.
View Quote

Ferrites stopped FT8 from turning on my Nintendo switch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I just got a Gladiator and the RF noise is amazingly low / non existent. I previously had the HF setup in a 2010 JKU and it wasn't bad but this is amazing. Also, being able to mount on the front corner of the bed and also on a shelf bolted to the inside of the bed provides a much larger RF plane and things works so much better.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:39:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#28]
I brought my IC-705 Self contained shack in a box with me to visit my mother in assisted living in NJ. We went out to the court yard and I made a QSO on 40m phone with my son in NH on 10 watts with a tiny loaded 3 foot whip mounted to the Apache case shack in a box sitting on the table and my son in his car

simply amazing. I was 57 in NH radiating maybe 0.1 watts on SSB
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I brought my IC-705 Self contained shack in a box with me to visit my mother in assisted living in NJ. We went out to the court yard and I made a QSO on 40m phone with my son in NH on 10 watts with a tiny loaded 3 foot whip mounted to the Apache case shack in a box sitting on the table and my son in his car

simply amazing. I was 57 in NH radiating maybe 0.1 watts on SSB
View Quote

Very cool. I wish you would post a picture of it. Based on what you told me it is a pretty nifty set-up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:17:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#30]
I got in to Amateur Radio for off-grid communications, with an eye towards learning about long distance Marine SSB.

Starlink has completely supplanted (and far far exceeds) the usefulness of Amateur Radio in everything but edge cases.  The limitations preventing business coms and symbol rate limits (which have been changed, i know) pushing those edges even further.

The stuff I learned from playing Radio has applied well to understanding the radio side of GMRS, LORA, WiFi, and other license free digital stuff.  As well as contributing to a better understanding of what signals are flying through the air, all the time.

But... I have a Kx2 and it's companion amp from Elecraft sitting in a box - never used.  I find i enjoy the exercie of imagining potential scenarios and coming up with the gear (prepping?) more than the actual act of playing radio.  /shrug.  Kind of an expensive genre of the hobby.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top