BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:

Head to the auction site, look for a Shuttle DS61-1. Throw an i7-3770k and 16GB RAM in. Then add an SSD of 250-500GB. Re-sell any removed parts or use in other projects.

Gives you a whole bunch of ports (USB and RS232/485), dual video, onboard audio, dual Gigabit Ethernet...CHEAP. I'm replying on one (my test system) and it's more than capable of concurrently running flrig/fldigi, a VB Win7 VM running YaDD (using an R-71A to scan) and an XP-Pro VM controlling a couple of radio scanners via Spectrum Commander. This in addition to surfing Arfcom.

Host OS is Mint 21.3.

If you have to have a laptop, HP 8560p or 8570p. Look for one with an i7, throw in RAM/SSD as indicated above and go play. Also can be had/upgraded cheap.
View Quote

I was just looking for something like this for a project...
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:47:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robmkivseries70] [#2]
My ham station computer is a Dell Optiplex 9020 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3. I was running a higher numbered version of Cinnamon and started getting boot errors. I thought I had done something with RF in the shack as it was about same time I had to start running the random wire antenna. (Mid Janurary 2024) I backed off to the 20.3 Cinnamon and it's been error free. My point is that the more advanced versions of some operating systems may over tax, not match up well, have driver issues etc. I've been running refurbished computers and generally had good luck. I get the business/ industrial / non consumer level machines. I've generally put in a new HDD and in this case added a RW DVD drive. hth
Rob
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:
My ham station computer is a Dell Optiplex 9020 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3. I was running a higher numbered version of Cinnamon and started getting boot errors. I thought I had done something with RF in the shack as it was about same time I had to start running the random wire antenna. (Mid Janurary 2024) I backed off to the 20.3 Cinnamon and it's been error free. My point is that the more advanced versions of some operating systems may over tax, not match up well, have driver issues etc. I've been running refurbished computers and generally had good luck. I get the business/ industrial / non consumer level machines and have had good luck. I've generally put in a new HDD and in this case added a RW DVD drive. hth
Rob
View Quote

Rob,

What type of boot errors?

And I generally do same, or build my systems from scratch. Next purchase is going to be a T630 in either 18 or 32 bay configuration and I'm planning to load it up with as many cores/as much RAM as it will take.

This will be a file server for the rest of my network and a VM host. As many video adapters as it will accommodate are going into the box and it'll run various instances of radio control programs and their guest VMs concurrently.

It's also going to serve as a space heater. My new shack ranges from 55-65 degrees winter through summer, and rather than just plugging a heater in I want something that actually performs a useful function. So...win/win.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:09:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robmkivseries70] [#4]
@AnalogKid
Gosh, I didn't write any of them down although some times the machine would finally boot. I do remember some sort of time setting routine. If it happens again I'll be more thorough about the problem. I did learn to hit the ESC key to see the boot process. The errors appeared quickly, I remember trying CTRL - S, but that didn't help. LOL Some times I could fix the problem by running G-Parted from another partition. Probably hardware conflicts but I don't remember. I'm much more of a hardware guy.
Rob

LOL, In a pinch you could always crank up the amplifier.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:
LOL, In a pinch you could always crank up the amplifier.
View Quote

Only does me any good if I can actually use it. My shack is also my primary office, and work has certain ideas about how I spend my time.

Which is why I like PSK31/FT8 and other digital modes. Several of my operating positions are supported under flrig/wsjtx. Those transceivers that weren't, I wrote drivers for and put them back into the trunk.

Each spot in question has a solid state amp, auto-tuner and SignaLink tied to it. The PCs that support them are also connected via spanned KVMs to my main desk console. As a last resort I can RDP or ssh/X11 forward the sessions to a controller at my work space. When listening to meetings, it's a simple matter to point and click with the mouse and grab new DX. Or use the KB on RTTY. Amps and tuners track the radios as the various programs command them.

Can't hold forth with the big amps on an SSB net during such but them's the breaks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:06:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#6]
I am running ft8 and flrig plus surfing arfcom, with grid tracker open as well on my new inovato quadra box. This looks like it will be great for the shack. I haven't used a monitor larger than 14.5 inches on a laptop in years. The 27 inch monitor is absolutely huge.
This thing must have 3 dozen ham programs ranging from digital modes, antenna modeling software, circuit design programs. and ham clock.
There are a bunch of youtube programs to learn the commands I need to keep this thing going and updated.
A ham guy has a series on how to change the evolve III into a linux ham machine. It is step by step from getting the initial program onto a stick, and adding and updating everything needed to run portable. I have one of those, they run on 12v so it is really handy as far as powering it from a battery. If this quattro holds up, it will be a screaming deal. for 50 bucks you get the quattro. a usb hub, a stand, a fan, a wifi dongle, and the really extensive package of apps already installed.
So far I am pretty happy.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#7]
My buddy got me on mint with an old 4th gen i7 for my shack. works great. I have Flrig, js8, grid tracker, FLdigi and a few other programs running on it. Carla is pretty crazy once you get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I am all-in for a ham radio Linux thread, I dig. I am a complete trial-and-error idgit, but I manage to successfully  use Linux in the shack going on three years now. FT8, JS8, WFview for my 7300, etc. I have not found a logger I like. Hamlib, RigctlD and the dev folder kind of defeat me. I'm kind of amazed I manage any kind of rig control at all, but I do.

I have questions, though. Almost constantly.

Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, IC-7300, etc... Do you guys need a desktop screen shot?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Alright, alright, here ya go, stop yer clamorin'. You too can have a rig like this if you buy a cheap used computer, install Mint and pretty much leave everything at the default setting...Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top