Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
I can hear other AK stations on 20m right now.

Did you get the @xxxxxxx programmed in your list?

Eta; I heard you at a -20db. I had the wrong AK call sign in my head I was looking for. Dont think you can hear me on the other end.
View Quote

I believe I worked you. Did you receive my station info?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:03:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#2]
Maybe try 40m when that opens up for AK later. I am not getting out of CONUS on 40 right now. You were the only JS8 psk reporter station that heard me on 20m in Alaska. You were at -20/-21 and I think I lost you
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe try 40m when that opens up for AK later. I am not getting out of CONUS on 40 right now. You were the only JS8 psk reporter station that heard me on 20m. You were at -20/-21 and I think I lost you
View Quote

I'm still getting mostly 20m on WSPR. Wanna QSY to 30m?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:23:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah...... 40m I am deaf blind and dumb to the west.

We got it done on 30m though.

I can see everyone that responded to you on 40m. You are getting out well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah...... 40m I am deaf blind and dumb to the west.

We got it done on 30m though.

I can see everyone that responded to you on 40m. You are getting out well.
View Quote

40m is banging. I'm getting some action. I think I have a lot to learn here. I think 30m is going to be my best band to the east this time of day/night.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:33:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#6]
The nice thing about JS8 is message forwarding. I had about 10 stations I could have relayed through to send you a message on 40m.

But you have to know to look for it.

Watch some videos on that, thats where the @xxxxxxx gets better
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Now that I have it up and running I'll play with it and do some learning. I'm pretty happy with the performance of the mode for being my #2 antenna.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#8]
IMHO the best parts of JS8Call are the "heartbeats", the automation, and the message inbox.

I've left my station on all day, unattended, heartbeat and automatic replies enabled. I'll often come back to several mailbox messages and lots of log activity as people request automated responses for signal reports and "heard" lists.

Definitely get up to speed on the automatic stuff. It's more useful than straight shot keyboard to keyboard messaging.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
The problem with all this mid-to-long range (>50 miles) emcomm talk is that it is always just a bunch of handwaving. Consider the various real-world use cases:

1. Formal EMCOMM (MARS, ARES, whatever).

- That's not what we are really talking about here, right? Moving on...

2. Casual "emcomm" during SHTF with a "grid down" beaten zone (e.g. hurricane, tornado, earthquake, something geographically limited).

- In this case it just doesn't matter what mode you use. Do what you can and with whatever floats your boat. Because whether it's JS8Call, plain old SSB phone, CW, whatever, you are just playing the ham radio hobby game of "The airwaves are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get." But you will get something, somebody, somewhere, and with any luck you can get what you want/need out of it. A phone call to a friend/relative/coworker outside the beaten zone. Whatever news reporting might be available. Or perhaps a call to a rescue coordination center (for whatever that might be worth in the situation).

3. Comm's with pre-established significant others during SHTF.

- In this case choosing techniques, procedures, and practice does become all important. Random amateur radio comm's are easy. Repeatable & reliable amateur radio comm's not so much. In this case choosing the mode of operation becomes an important tradeoff. There's no question the small signal properties and automation of JS8Call can be a huge advantage as long as the additional complexity of having a computer is not too much of a burden. Similarly, learning CW could be invaluable.

The reality remains that for SHTF whereby communications infrastructure in orbit and outside the beaten zone remain operational, SATCOM messaging devices reign supreme for comm's beyond 50 miles. If one is serious about comm's prepping for SHTF then a satellite text messaging device and service plan is a must-have for oneself.

Of course all this may become completely moot once all the major cellular providers start offering direct-to-space cellular services. Although it begs the question about messaging capacity per satellite spot beam. In which case the use cases cease to be SHTF and are probably limited only to TEOTWAWKI (no grid, no sat's, etc.).
View Quote

Even InReach to InReach text messages travel through ground based servers. I believe all the commercially available systems do, but I could be wrong. Without those ground servers, it isn't going to work.

The only comm that works without a third party system ground system that is available for civilian use is HF radio, although WinLink will store and allow retrieval of email messages without the internet, you are still relying on somebody elses system which may or may not have backup power to operate.

The only really reliable independent system is HF radio to radio and although comm within a few hundred miles is not absolutely whenever you want it, it can be pretty damn close to 100% at least once per day if the parties know what they are doing and when to do it including renewable independent power sources and the equipment to run either just the radios but also the computer if using a digital mode. In a catastrophic event that is not just local or regional in nature that takes out infrastructure comm and power , having a comm plan with loved ones within this several hundred mile region can make a big difference and is very doable.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#10]
IMHO the best parts of JS8Call are the "heartbeats", the automation, and the message inbox.

I've left my station on all day, unattended, heartbeat and automatic replies enabled. I'll often come back to several mailbox messages and lots of log activity as people request automated responses for signal reports and "heard" lists.

Definitely get up to speed on the automatic stuff. It's more useful than straight shot keyboard to keyboard messaging.
View Quote

I agree. That is the core strength of JS8Call.

Being able to not be by the radio and not have to rely on 2 parties being on the radio at the same time and already having a frequency for initial contact via radio.

It is a built in comm plan.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mach: Even InReach to InReach text messages travel through ground based servers. I believe all the commercially available systems do, but I could be wrong. Without those ground servers, it isn't going to work...
View Quote
All true, and my response acknowledges that is the case in TEOTWAWKI.

It can be valuable to distinguish between SHTF and TEOTWAWKI type scenarios. They are dramatically different from a communications perspective.

Just to clarify, the vast majority of my post is a discussion about SHTF, which is generally defined as relatively localized scenarios (hurricane, flood, earthquake, etc.) and where the overarching space and terrestrial communications infrastructure continues to function, just not so well inside the SHTF area. This thereby allows the use of modern, space-based communications systems, and for different operating techniques on HF.

On the other hand, TEOTWAWKI makes the assumption that all infrastructure is history. Prepper wet dream EMP, giant asteroids, zombie apocalypse, space aliens, those sorts of things. HF is all that's left for medium to long range comm's.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:10:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TimeIsMoney] [#12]
Good stuff. Try to check in to the ghostnet next week. I tried the arfcom olivia and it was a fail. JS8 just seems easier.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:45:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6SJ7GT] [#13]
Sounds like you need two comms systems.

VHF/UHF for local comms. You can get together and set up simplex nets or use existing local nets for practice. Bear in mind that local repeaters might be restricted to emcomm use in an emergency.

HF for distant comms:

1. set up time and freq lists for attempting to connect with a few specific people.

and/or:

2. Use the existing ARRL National Traffic System with radiograms. It isn't what it once was but is still around. I have thought this would be a good thing for ARES. It would take a load off of responders and give people a channel to connect with people outside the disaster zone when the cell system is prioritized for emergency traffic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:24:32 AM EDT
[#14]

It can be valuable to distinguish between SHTF and TEOTWAWKI type scenarios. They are dramatically different from a communications perspective.

Just to clarify, the vast majority of my post is a discussion about SHTF, which is generally defined as relatively localized scenarios (hurricane, flood, earthquake, etc.) and where the overarching space and terrestrial communications infrastructure continues to function, just not so well inside the SHTF area. This thereby allows the use of modern, space-based communications systems, and for different operating techniques on HF.

On the other hand, TEOTWAWKI makes the assumption that all infrastructure is history. Prepper wet dream EMP, giant asteroids, zombie apocalypse, space aliens, those sorts of things. HF is all that's left for medium to long range comm's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mach: Even InReach to InReach text messages travel through ground based servers. I believe all the commercially available systems do, but I could be wrong. Without those ground servers, it isn't going to work...

yes they are different scenarios. There is SHTF and the other one. I never post about the other one because I can never remember how to spell it.

I knew you knew, I was just commenting on  the inreach text to text, many people don't understand it still needs ground servers.

My contention is that without HF radio, most people without the grid and no phone service are going to have no idea  if their grid down is SHTF or  TEOTWAWKI for a very long time because they will have no information on how local or widespread the grid down area is. They will just assume it is a local grid down due to normalcy bias. People with HF radio will be able to talk to other people and while enjoying the lack of man made radio frequency noise ( MMRFI ) they will be able to gather the data that the grid is down over a very non-local area, which may or may not be an advantage depending on their personality.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#15]
This is exactly why the Icom 705 is the close to perfect radio in my mind for the regular person. All band, all mode QRP radio. It can charge and run off a 5v Anker power supply. It's the only radio that can do that. It's perfect for digital modes. It's small enough to carry in a pack.

I recently bought the mobilinkd TNC4 and can now send SMS/email2 messages with my Yaesu HT, or Icom 705 via APRSdroid. I can send email messages via WoAD packet (Android) or Radiomail (Apple). Beacon my position via APRSdroid. I believe the TNC4 can also be a digipeater, but I haven't tried that yet.

Supplemented closely by the Kenwood TM-D710GA 2m/70 mobile radio. It's 50w, can do APRS, Winlink, crossband repeat and set as a digipeater. The Kenwood has full TNC control and can be used as a modem to send emails via Winlink with a computer/tablet. The 710 can also communicate to the Winlink service via APRSlink  without a computer. We are lucky to have all this fun stuff to play with.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mach:

yes they are different scenarios. There is SHTF and the other one. I never post about the other one because I can never remember how to spell it.

I knew you knew, I was just commenting on  the inreach text to text, many people don't understand it still needs ground servers.

My contention is that without HF radio, most people without the grid and no phone service are going to have no idea  if their grid down is SHTF or  TEOTWAWKI for a very long time because they will have no information on how local or widespread the grid down area is. They will just assume it is a local grid down due to normalcy bias. People with HF radio will be able to talk to other people and while enjoying the lack of man made radio frequency noise ( MMRFI ) they will be able to gather the data that the grid is down over a very non-local area, which may or may not be an advantage depending on their personality.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mach:

That whole MMRFI thing is very real. I experienced that rather unpleasantly in Puerto Rico when I was there. On the flip side, during the Great Texas Deep Freeze of 2021, having a regional power outage made HF from the apartment here an actual joy. Noise floor being so low had me hearing stations I never would have before.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#17]
The 2m Simplex "emergency" net was tonight. Unfortunately the furthest away station was only 41 miles away and I was S9 to him. So I wasnt able to hear anyone that couldn't hear me to know the limits. I heard everyone that checked in. I spun the beam away from NC and I was a S4 beaming away.

Look out point at about the max elevation (+-200ft) for the area.

The Yaesu FT-270 2M only handheld is still the best VHF Rx radio I have.

I tried the TYT-390 and got horrible Rx and Tx. I....... might have been in narrowband though...... no way to see from the front panel in VFO mode that I am away of.

Attachment Attached File

1.1 SWR on the frequency used, tested while elevated on the 12' painters pole.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#18]
This is a pretty cool low cost simplex repeater for temporary use. Anything with a kenwood style plug can use it, u/v or gmrs.
https://www.redsengineering.com/store/home/2-srpt-02-repeater-with-cables-for-uv-5r.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:28:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Any interest in a JS8CALL ARFCOM net?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:51:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#20]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
Any interest in a JS8CALL ARFCOM net?
View Quote
Would JS8Call be a good mode for a slow SMS type service?    Here are some capabilities I would like to learn and practice.
  • Send a short text message to be delivered withing 24-48 or variable hours
  • Computer will retry (hourly?) and get an acknowledgement of receipt
  • Unattended operation (not sitting at the computer waiting for propagation to open)
  • relay is interesting, but probably after point-to-point is well understood
Does JS8 cover this?   As a NET I would say the regular scheduled hour of the week is covered by current SSB and Digital nets.  A continuous net that uses hours of the day, the right band, and unattended operation would be interesting.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Would JS8Call be a good mode for a slow SMS type service?    Here are some capabilities I would like to learn and practice.
  • Unattended operation (not sitting at the computer waiting for propagation to open)
Does JS8 cover this?   As a NET I would say the regular scheduled hour of the week is covered by current SSB and Digital nets.  A continuous net that uses hours of the day, the right band, and unattended operation would be interesting.
View Quote

JS8call is primarily for keyboard-to-keyboard chatting. Also see VarAC.

What you're describing is more like Winlink messaging combined with the National Traffic System to pass along delivery, except with human operators attempting delivery instead of computers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

JS8CALL doesn't do that. It does do group test however. and you can do a station hearing query and also message forwarding. It's more for addended vs unattended, but it does have some automated functions.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#23]
JS8Call can run unattended.
JS8Call can send short text messages to other JS8Call users.
JS8Call messages can be received and stored in a "mailbox" for later retrieval, unattended.
JS8Call generates confirmation of message delivery.
JS8Call does not have a retry feature.
JS8Call can act as an unattended APRS I-gate.
If they ever fix the SMSGTE service for APRS then SMS message from JS8Call to phone number is possible. Google SMSGTE to see the whole story on that.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I have deleted fldigi, after failing at the net check-in last week. I think JS8 is pretty standardized and would bring in more check-ins. I don't know any of the features of Olivia, but to me JS8 is the standard.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TimeIsMoney:
I have deleted fldigi, after failing at the net check-in last week. I think JS8 is pretty standardized and would bring in more check-ins. I don't know any of the features of Olivia, but to me JS8 is the standard.
View Quote

Olivia seems cool, but complicated. JS8 is derived from WSJT-X FT8, so the initial setup for JS8CALL is virtually the same. JS8CALL is free. I took a system that was running WSJT-X (computer and TX) and had JS8CALL up and running in less than an hour. The second one I did was less than half an hour. I think JS8CALL is the new hotness.

Most of the activity for JS8CALL appears to be on 20 during the day and 40 during the night. I see lots of opportunity to use 15, 17 and 30m without much neighboring traffic.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm going to go to 15m JS8 standard freq and call CQ @ARFCOM all day for propagation testing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I just hit up @arfcom on 15m, no joy. Pskreporter had you on 20m, but no luck there. Back on 15m til the storms roll in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Another guy in Anchorage is getting me -3dB, on 15m
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GreenDragon:
View Quote

I'm not getting much on 15 now. I can stay here till it gets better or move down to 17 if you want?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I see an arfcom snr request in the activity log, but no callsign to respond to. -23
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Connected w you on 15m. Sent auto reply to your SNR?. Just RXd a SNR back. Msg for you in my box. Sent msg to you in your box, not sure if it made it. Can try 17m if you want.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Suggest we switch to the Tues night SSB thread, so we don't clutter up this one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Suggest we switch to the Tues night SSB thread, so we don't clutter up this one.
View Quote

RR
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#34]
JS8Call messages can be received and stored in a "mailbox" for later retrieval, unattended.
If they ever fix the SMSGTE service for APRS then SMS message from JS8Call to phone number is possible. Google SMSGTE to see the whole story on that.

View Quote

I recall using this: https://aprs.wiki/SMS/ to opt-in to use APRS-to-SMS services. I wonder why SMSGTE can't use the same setup?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimeIsMoney] [#35]
SMSGTE uses a different protocol if I remember? SMS works, and I do test it often. If I knew a time for JS8 net, I would add to calendar.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Great 17min YT on JS8CALL heartbeat and message relay.

JS8CALL: The Importance of Network Heartbeats - Relays, Mailboxes and More.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By planemaker:
I recall using this: https://aprs.wiki/SMS/ to opt-in to use APRS-to-SMS services. I wonder why SMSGTE can't use the same setup?
View Quote

SMSGTE was shut down due to people abusing it. They voluntarily shut down to avoid getting shut down by telcos. The goal is to eventually return if they can avoid the abuse.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Great 17min YT on JS8CALL heartbeat and message relay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWcL8TrHF74
View Quote
That's a great video, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#39]
SMS service on APRS was restored/recreated by NA7Q, he's done a great job with it.
But you have to Opt-In, and also have anyone you are sending messages to Opt-In as well or this will get shut down also.
Then you can change the number to an alias and your cell doesn't get broadcast.
It's pretty cool RF to text.

APRS to SMS Text
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CatskillDraht:
SMS service on APRS was restored/recreated by NA7Q, he's done a great job with it.
But you have to Opt-In, and also have anyone you are sending messages to Opt-In as well or this will get shut down also.
Then you can change the number to an alias and your cell doesn't get broadcast.
It's pretty cool RF to text.

APRS to SMS Text
View Quote
Yep it's a great service, I use it often. How was smsgte getting abused? I never heard of abuse and used smsgte for quite a while as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#41]
How was smsgte getting abused?
View Quote

The details are literally on their website. They are working on getting it back up though. https://smsgte.org/
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes I see spam abuse. I was wondering how it was being implemented?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes I see spam abuse. I was wondering how it was being implemented?
View Quote

As a guess, someone used a fake igate to get SMS spam to the gateway.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:43:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#44]
This thread is a CLASSIC case of people trying to replace the P-38 can opener with a hydraulic powered unit with 1756 moving parts that needs a 58 horsepower computer guided diesel engine to run it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
I didn't know that was possible. Does that work with the SMS service that is available, if opted-in?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By piccolo:
This thread is a CLASSIC case of people trying to replace the P-38 can opener with a hydraulic powered unit with 1756 moving parts that needs a 58 horsepower computer guided diesel engine to run it.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61XzIRK+aiL._AC_SX300_SY300_.jpg

https://www.centralrestaurant.com/media/catalog/product/7/4/745-052-2.jpg?optimize=medium&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=500&width=500&canvas=500:500
View Quote
Morse reference?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61XzIRK+aiL._AC_SX300_SY300_.jpg

https://www.centralrestaurant.com/media/catalog/product/7/4/745-052-2.jpg?optimize=medium&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=500&width=500&canvas=500:500
View Quote

Everyone knows no-code General/Extra operators have finger tips too sensitive for p-38 usage.

We just type on computers, we arent slamming decade switches running split from the belly of a B-17 Flying Fortress with a straight key strapped to our ankle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#48]
we arent slamming decade switches running split .
View Quote

How do you thing I put Navassa in my log? They were running split, 10 up.

Laugh all you want you bastards but I did it!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aa777888-2] [#49]
I didn't know that was possible. Does that work with the SMS service that is available, if opted-in?
View Quote
It's been a while since I messed with it, before the current smsgte debacle, but I believe the answer is "Yes".
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Did some research on this.  JS8Call, like FLDigi, has the option to enable a remote control port via TCP or UDP. So you can script any of these behaviors and run a fully automated station.  It is not well documented, but there are a few python packages out there that implement and demonstrate the API calls.  It look like it can do all the messages and cat control as well.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top