Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 55 of 55)
Page / 55
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#1]
FT8 and POTA is weird to me. To me seems like I do better by not even putting POTA in the TX line. It's definitely slower than phone and CW too. But you can get more DX that way.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
FT8 and POTA is weird to me. To me seems like I do better by not even putting POTA in the TX line. It's definitely slower than phone and CW too. But you can get more DX that way.
View Quote

Maybe I need to drop the CQ POTA and I might make more contacts next time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

I activated again yesterday and made another 224 contacts. It was a non-stop pileup for several hours. My voice is hoarse, so I think will I need to let it rest for a few days before I try it again.
View Quote
Damn!  I can only do about 10-20 min of pile-up before I need a break.  It's like doing work and exhausting.   I like to mix digital and phone.  Digital is low pressure and gets the successful activation in the bag and a good understand of the propagation.  Then I do phone just to spend some time in the firing line for the experience factor or do park-to-park hunting at my leisure.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
If you pick a time when POTA activations are low you can get hammered with CQ POTA.  Once you are done with all the active hunters you should switch odd/even time slot or change bands.  I have noticed the DX'ers tend to avoid the POTA tag.  If you switch from POTA to DX you can mine the other crowd.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a good idea. I always had the idea that the non POTA folks don't know what POTA is or not care and not contact. The POTA hunters will probably see the spot and contact anyway. So either way it won't make a difference whether you do or don't.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
If you pick a time when POTA activations are low you can get hammered with CQ POTA.  Once you are done with all the active hunters you should switch odd/even time slot or change bands.  I have noticed the DX'ers tend to avoid the POTA tag.  If you switch from POTA to DX you can mine the other crowd.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322769/pota_pileup_sm_jpg-3162528.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322769/pota_pileup_sm_jpg-3162528.JPG

How do you like the 710 for portable?

I am thinking about saving up my pennies for one (field version with no extra speaker)
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:32:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#7]
every time i call “CQ DX” on FT8 10-20meters, I get 4 landers answering

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:32:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#8]
Damn!  I can only do about 10-20 min of pile-up before I need a break.  It's like doing work and exhausting.   I like to mix digital and phone.  Digital is low pressure and gets the successful activation in the bag and a good understand of the propagation.  Then I do phone just to spend some time in the firing line for the experience factor or do park-to-park hunting at my leisure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

I activated again yesterday and made another 224 contacts. It was a non-stop pileup for several hours. My voice is hoarse, so I think will I need to let it rest for a few days before I try it again.

I made 183 SSB contacts the day before and 224 on the following day, so the 38 FT8 contacts was a bit underwhelming in comparison. The park is about a 30 minute drive from my home, so I wanted to make it worth my while by working as many stations as I could.

My Yaesu FT-891 and 17 foot Chameleon telescopic ground mounted whip worked very well in the zero noise floor environment near the banks of the Mississippi River south of St. Louis. I wanted to give digital a try yesterday because my voice was shot, but just didn't enjoy operating digital as much due to the slower pace.

I do seem to enjoy the chaos of a the pileup much more on SSB and I imagine that I will return to the park again later in the week to see if I can reach break 1000 QSO's there. I appreciate the suggestions and I think I will try chasing some DX on FT8 and then calling CQ POTA occasionally to see if helps put more contacts in my log.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

I am thinking about saving up my pennies for one (field version with no extra speaker)
View Quote
It's heavy (like 8lbs) if you are packing in and consumes a good amount of power.  I would not recommend for ultralight. If you are not far from a vehicle, then it works great. I have a harbor fright case that protects it in the vehicle and typically run from a lead acid deep cycle battery.

Most of my activations have been travelling around the country towing a camper trying to visit all 50 states. (Finished last fall!)  Racking up POTA activation states added a bit more to the experience.  It has been a great radio for this.  $850 for the field version is a steal.  Mine was $1050 and the AESS speaker is just a speaker.  Same end as a $25 Motorola off ebay.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:16:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#10]
Same end as a $25 Motorola off ebay.
View Quote

Old GE speakers are better than Motorola

Moto speakers are ok for FM stuff, but GE/Ericsson sounds better for HF/SSB/AM.

Part of the reason I used to go to Dayton was to find old GE LMR speakers
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
It's heavy (like 8lbs) if you are packing in and consumes a good amount of power.  I would not recommend for ultralight. If you are not far from a vehicle, then it works great. I have a harbor fright case that protects it in the vehicle and typically run from a lead acid deep cycle battery.

Most of my activations have been travelling around the country towing a camper trying to visit all 50 states. (Finished last fall!)  Racking up POTA activation states added a bit more to the experience.  It has been a great radio for this.  $850 for the field version is a steal.  Mine was $1050 and the AESS speaker is just a speaker.  Same end as a $25 Motorola off ebay.
View All Quotes

You are confirming what I suspected about the "speaker". It is just a speaker and not worth the money they want for it. Just like all the other matching speakers that match the rigs that have come out thru the years. You can do a lot better for a lot less money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Activated a park with a new radio yesterday, very nice for hiking and setup/tear down is literally just one minute

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:
Activated a park with a new radio yesterday, very nice for hiking and setup/tear down is literally just one minute

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359275/FB3CAAAF-F923-43F4-9A9B-4C637DA42B97_jpe-3167847.JPG
View Quote

Outstanding!!! Looks like you had a blast.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Just log one then the next. Two log entries.

BlueDog that's a cool radio. I really enjoyed my QCX mini, I just didn't use it. I've been thinking about another small QRP radio lately.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Just log one then the next. Two log entries.

BlueDog that's a cool radio. I really enjoyed my QCX mini, I just didn't use it. I've been thinking about another small QRP radio lately.
View Quote

It is a pretty sweet radio for the way I like to activate.

I had a few fun activations with my QCX mini too, just didn't like all of the $hit hanging off the radio..I put mine for sale and the buyer had the money in my paypal nine minutes after listing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
I activated a park today, I used HAMRS (windoze) like I always do, but never realized it's 'power'
until today.. I was lucky enough to have cell coverage and I tethered my logging computer
to it. With an internet connection, I could pull up spots IN the HAMRS app and click a button to
import the spot info into the log entry fields.. a HUGE time saver..  I got about 20 P2P today just
changing freq per the spots to see if I could hear 'em.

I was on a good roll, until the rain rolled in and I didn't have anything other than an umbrella.
It was also my first activation with my DXcommander Expedition and ATU100 on an FT-891
(all battery op, w/LiPO4 batteries)

I do have a question regarding HAMRS... 2 (or more) ops at a park you're hunting.
whats the best way to log both?   Because I had an internet connection, I just entered the first op,
then went to the 'spots' tab and selected the park again and edited the callsign.
I imagine it would be quite the challenge if they were activating multiple parks!
View Quote

Assuming the field for “park” in hamrs is working, you can list multiple parks separated by commas and Hamrs will automatically create multiple log entries for you to make the POTA log upload happy. Qrz will view them as dupes and automatically kill one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:

It is a pretty sweet radio for the way I like to activate.

I had a few fun activations with my QCX mini too, just didn't like all of the $hit hanging off the radio..I put mine for sale and the buyer had the money in my paypal nine minutes after listing.
View Quote
Mine sold in about an hour. I was kinda surprised. They're pretty niche. But it was gone. The little thing did work. And well too. But being stuck with CW or digital only and like you said all the stuff hanging off it got old.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#22]
This must be getting harder.  All the nuts that fell close to the tree are gone by now?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#23]
This must be getting harder.  All the nuts that fell close to the tree are gone by now?
View Quote

Yeah, it's a road trip to get a new park now.

But I am blessed with a Wife who likes to see new parks.

Life is good

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's a few shots from slaying activation states last fall.

Georgia
Attachment Attached File

Nebraska
Attachment Attached File

North Dakota
Attachment Attached File

Kentucky
Attachment Attached File

Tennessee
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:35:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#25]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Is that Lake Catherine State Park in Arkansas?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Is that Lake Catherine State Park in Arkansas?
View Quote
Yes sir.  I left the refinery out of the picture.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes sir.  I left the refinery out of the picture.
View Quote
That's a beautiful park. We stopped there on our road trip to Tennessee last fall. We want to go back and stay there. It's, surprisingly, not a bad drive from my part of Texas.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#29]
did my first activation on Tuesday out of town at work. was a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#30]
finally made it to 100 different parks

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:55:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
I activated a park today, I used HAMRS (windoze) like I always do, but never realized it's 'power'
until today.. I was lucky enough to have cell coverage and I tethered my logging computer
to it. With an internet connection, I could pull up spots IN the HAMRS app and click a button to
import the spot info into the log entry fields.. a HUGE time saver..  I got about 20 P2P today just
changing freq per the spots to see if I could hear 'em.

I was on a good roll, until the rain rolled in and I didn't have anything other than an umbrella.
It was also my first activation with my DXcommander Expedition and ATU100 on an FT-891
(all battery op, w/LiPO4 batteries)

I do have a question regarding HAMRS... 2 (or more) ops at a park you're hunting.
whats the best way to log both?   Because I had an internet connection, I just entered the first op,
then went to the 'spots' tab and selected the park again and edited the callsign.
I imagine it would be quite the challenge if they were activating multiple parks!
View Quote

Why bother with an ATU on the DXC?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:57:55 AM EDT
[#32]

I need to get off my ass and get to 50. I doubt there are 100 on the road system in AK.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't mind trying to activate all 50 states eventually. I've got all of the southeast except South Carolina.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Congratulations, that took some work, time, and some miles.  NOW you have to get 100 ore for the next award.. should be a piece of cake !
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Congrats for activating you 100th park!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:11:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#36]
thanks guys

It's been a ton of fun

US-1794

Translation:

"The mighty Kenwood 480HX sends it's lightning bolts to the sky via the TARHEEL II antenna system"

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#37]
I worked a New Yorker yesterday, Park-to-park.

When I gave him my park number, he said - "I DON'T CARE. . . . it doesn't matter.....well I do care, but...eh"

His accent was very New York, so I knew it wasn't 10m Dr. Jeckle in Ga.

He stated that unless you're at more than one park, the POTA system will know it's a Park-to-park

"I know, because I designed it"

"Ok thanks, have a  great weekend,  QRZed..."

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Well he just seems like a barrel of fun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:56:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#39]
Looks like a new portable logger coming out, with options to update parks/summits for pota/sota.

https://ham2k.com/apps/polo/

It will find close parks from your GPS location…… and other cool stuff. Still in Beta.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks like a new portable logger coming out, with options to update parks/summits for pota/sota.

https://ham2k.com/apps/polo/

It will find close parks from your GPS location…… and other cool stuff. Still in Beta.
View Quote

thats great news.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

finally made it to 100 different parks

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#42]
guess I’m a software beta tester

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Today 12:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#43]
Wife wanted to try a new restaurant about a hour away

I noticed a brand new POTA park was about 10 mins away, that makes 101 different parks.  

The Indian food was amazing.

She did NOT like the new PoLo logger, after 4 QSO's she closed it out and opened HAMRS

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Today 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#44]
HAMRS is just so darn easy to use.
Link Posted: Today 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By K0UA:
HAMRS is just so darn easy to use.
View Quote

yeah

but it didn’t recognize the new park we found

I had to edit the state and grid in ADIF MASTER when we got home

….not a big deal

Page / 55
Next Page Arrow Left
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 55 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top