Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 43 of 55)
Page / 55
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:47:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K0UA] [#1]
Today (4/10/23) was a very bad day for  40 and 20.  I could hardly work any of the POTA stations out. Just a couple on CW. Very poor conditions.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#2]
I have been busier than a fly on a shit pile the last couple weeks prepping for a trip. I will be in Coronado, CA Wednesday through Monday. In my free time I will be activating a slew of parks within driving distance.

Parks:
K-1130
K-3578
K-0217
K-3568
K-0907
K-0209

I will start Wednesday, Thursday I will have all day. Friday & Saturday I will be busy, then Sunday afternoon I will activate.

I hate traveling to California. Funny thing is, it will be 20 degree warmer here in MN most of the time I am in CA....
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome. I have  pretty good lucky with getting to the west coast fairly easily most days.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K0UA:
Today (4/10/23) was a very bad day for  40 and 20.  I could hardly work any of the POTA stations out. Just a couple on CW. Very poor conditions.
View Quote

20 probably hot right now, it's becoming a nighttime DX frequency. Even this far north 20 dies off when the sun is high.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

20 probably hot right now, it's becoming a nighttime DX frequency. Even this far north 20 dies off when the sun is high.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is propagation that hot that 20 is now a night band?!?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:25:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#6]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

View Quote

I talked to an ARFCOMMER in MN from Alaska a couple of weeks ago on 20m, I think it was 11pm his time and dusk where I was.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:12:29 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Plenty of nighttime Pacific action from my QTH on 20m FT8.  Australia, NZ, Japan, Hawaii, etc.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:12:37 AM EDT
[#8]

I talked to an ARFCOMMER in MN from Alaska a couple of weeks ago on 20m, I think it was 11pm his time and dusk where I was.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/Screenshot_2023-04-10_222851_jpg-2778247.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/Screenshot_2023-04-10_222851_jpg-2778247.JPG

We sure did.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

For sure. Observing this has me wanting to upgrade to Extra, as most of the DX I have heard is below 225
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

For sure. Observing this has me wanting to upgrade to Extra, as most of the DX I have heard is below 225
View Quote
That was one of the sole motivators for me when I was getting started. I'd hear these guys very clearly and could hear them answering 5 calls left and right. I already planned to upgrade. But it made me even more determined.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:32:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shoe3] [#11]

View Quote

I’m right there with you. Studying now..
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#12]
New Yaesu ftdx10 was just delivered, suddenly I don't want to be at work now

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
New Yaesu ftdx10 was just delivered, suddenly I don't want to be at work now

View Quote

I sold my FTDX10 months ago…..and still don’t want to be a work

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I will be landing here shortly. I am staying just south of the BUDS facility on Coronado. I still hope to activate today.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Could it be....... the arch nemesis of arfcom hams....... the window line vhf antenna.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:15:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#16]
At the hotel in Coronado. Opened up the checked bag with my antenna gear. The TSA disassembled my Wolf River Coil.

It is ruined. They snapped the pvc rings on the slide, and removed all the hardware.

Just called TSA.. up to 6 month process to file a claim. Are you fucking kidding me. That make me more mad than the loss of $160 loading coil. I will do it just to spite them now. Fucking government.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]
WTF? Why in the hell can't they just X-ray the damn thing and see it isnt an explosive or have dope in it. What a bunch of incompetent morons.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:
At the hotel in Coronado. Opened up the checked bag with my antenna gear. The TSA disassembled my Wolf River Coil.

It is ruined. They snapped the pvc rings on the slide, and removed all the hardware.

Just called TSA.. up to 6 month process to file a claim. Are you fucking kidding me. That make me more mad than the loss of $160 loading coil. I will do it just to spite them now. Fucking government.
View Quote
That sucks.

I picture a few chimps in a room pondering the object and ultimately throwing it at the wall a few times while jumping around and screaming.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Damn.  You have to wonder what's going through their minds as they are obviously destroying it.  Like, I suppose a tube with wires could be a little suspicious, but why wouldn't they just ask you what it is before breaking it open?  

I wonder what the ratio of false positives is to real, actual, intentional attempts to bring dangerous items aboard for nefarious purposes.  Probably millions to one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Man, that really sucks. Sorry to hear they f'd up your antenna.

Any chance you can reassemble the basics? Then maybe MacGyver some rubber band contraption to hold the tap on the coil?

Hopefully you can salvage some of your plans...
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Hopefully you still have 20 and higher on the whip?

I can usually get Socal on 10/12/17/20 and 20 at night has been good.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Alright,  plan in place. With no tuner, and with my RigExpert confirmed.  I can use the side trim of the balcony  as an option
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#23]
People are assholes. And they probably lied about the 6 month lead time just so you wouldn't make a claim
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
People are assholes. And they probably lied about the 6 month lead time just so you wouldn't make a claim
View Quote

I'd like to say it was an automated voice.

So no, it will be 6 months to process
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#25]
20 had a ton of spots this afternoon so I spotted on 20 and called.  Nothing... worked 7PTP then 20 opened all of a sudden.  Then it died again.  Worked a guy 60 miles away in my town.  I was out of town...  worked west coast and east coast.  South was dead except for a 2 min window when MS was coming in multiple times.  Worked total of 21 stations.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm on 160 FT8 if someone wants to try.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:36:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CS223] [#27]
First activation I'm on 14.325 SSB from park 1918 till 14:00z

Had a tourist stop by and ask me what I was tracking, if I were only as quick witted as Piccolo  An eyeball QSO from a TX ham whose call I forgot. Worked a number of park to park QSO's. Pretty happy with my setup, I just need to figure out my logging and improve my TX audio. I had to just work other parks until a frequency open up on 20M. Wall to wall POTA stations
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CS223:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22957/IMG_8095-2788569.jpgFirst activation I'm on 14.325 SSB from park 1918 till 14:00z

Had a tourist stop by and ask me what I was tracking, if I were only as quick witted as Piccolo  An eyeball QSO from a TX ham whose call I forgot. Worked a number of park to park QSO's. Pretty happy with my setup, I just need to figure out my logging and improve my TX audio. I had to just work other parks until a frequency open up on 20M. Wall to wall POTA stations
View Quote

What antenna pole is that? I have a fiberglass 47' and it looks similar.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mancow:

What antenna pole is that? I have a fiberglass 47' and it looks similar.
View Quote
32' Jackite pole in a flag pole hitch, sort of a Rybakov style antenna.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Got a package today from UPS.

I ordered a 6BTV, and there are some accessories coming from DX Engineering and Ebay next week.  I am going to try to get a hole dug and concrete mixed and poured over the weekend for the base.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80518/20230421_135110_jpg-2790918.JPG

I ordered a 6BTV, and there are some accessories coming from DX Engineering and Ebay next week.  I am going to try to get a hole dug and concrete mixed and poured over the weekend for the base.

View Quote

Nice man! I can’t decide if I want to try one of those or a Signature 9. I need a multiband vertical for the shack.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Nice man! I can't decide if I want to try one of those or a Signature 9. I need a multiband vertical for the shack.
View Quote

It was between this or a DX Commander, but I figured the aluminum would last longer than fiberglass out in the weather.  We go from -8F in the winter to over 100F in the summer and get strong winds as well.  I ordered the DX Engineering double wall lower section and I might guy it as well.  Still a lot to do trenching for conduit and all that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Are you installing it elevated or on the ground?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:09:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#34]

View Quote

I am probably going to go ground mounted.  I waffled back and forth about this for months waiting for the snow to melt, and now that the ground is clear and I can proceed with it, the idea of raising and lowering it over and over for tuning has me thinking ground mounted is best.  If I want to plant anything there I can just put in raised garden beds on top of the radials.

But, I am going to leave 2 feet of pipe exposed with 4 feet in concrete and if I decide to go elevated later, I can just add a 10 foot pole between the tilt base and the antenna.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

EXCELLENT CHOICE

take the time to deploy radials and carefully dip the SWR, starting on 10m, and working your way up the antenna

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:42:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#36]

I am probably going to go ground mounted.  I waffled back and forth about this for months waiting for the snow to melt, and now that the ground is clear and I can proceed with it, the idea of raising and lowering it over and over for tuning has me thinking ground mounted is best.  If I want to plant anything there I can just put in raised garden beds on top of the radials.

But, I am going to leave 2 feet of pipe exposed with 4 feet in concrete and if I decide to go elevated later, I can just add a 10 foot pole between the tilt base and the antenna.
View All Quotes

Just curious because I thought the instructions say not to use concrete around the pipe it mounts to, so I was assuming the antenna liked the ground. But maybe I misremember.

I installed two of them in the last year and just pounded a water pipe directly into the ground.

I also used the DX Engineering plate so a normal 259 connector can be used instead of direct attaching coax.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:29:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#37]

Just curious because I thought the instructions say not to use concrete around the pipe it mounts to, so I was assuming the antenna liked the ground. But maybe I misremember.

I installed two of them in the last year and just pounded a water pipe directly into the ground.

I also used the DX Engineering plate so a normal 259 connector can be used instead of direct attaching coax.
View Quote
You can drive straight into the ground or concrete. Mine is concreted on fence post and I have worked and working the world with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

????

I put my 5 foot pipe stub in the ground with concrete.  Hustler BTV5 with 30 something radials.

I do not recall Hustler or the DXE tilt over kit saying not to.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I see DX Engineering has addressed the original instructions provided by Hustler. I only read the original Hustler instructions.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Hustlers directions are downright awful. I went by their directions first and it was all messed up. A local ham sent me DX Engineering directions and I had up and going easily. Still took a while with my kiddos, but it worked great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Well that is pretty clear re the concrete, good find.  I figured with the radials it was moot.  I got the radial plate base from DXE so I had at least 8 radials to start.   I added more with salvaged wire.

I cannot complain about the Hustler antenna and I read to just use the DXE instructions for tuning.  I want to say the DXE tuning instructions were in the opposite band order.   Higher frequency to lower, working you way up the antenna.  It was a lot of walking back and forth and dropping and raising the antenna.  My feet were actually tired, lol.  The tilt over base is a blessing for the tuning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:27:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#42]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
Well that is pretty clear re the concrete, good find.  I figured with the radials it was moot.  I got the radial plate base from DXE so I had at least 8 radials to start.   I added more with salvaged wire.

I cannot complain about the Hustler antenna and I read to just use the DXE instructions for tuning.  I want to say the DXE tuning instructions were in the opposite band order.   Higher frequency to lower, working you way up the antenna.  It was a lot of walking back and forth and dropping and raising the antenna.  My feet were actually tired, lol.  The tilt over base is a blessing for the tuning.
View Quote

Yeah I ordered the omni tilt base from DXE.

I bought a 6 foot pipe today, but I think I am going to have trouble digging a suitable 4 foot deep hole that won't take 20 bags of concrete.  A local contractor quoted $220 if he doesn't hit bedrock or a boulder.

But I need the exercise, and my FIL has a handheld post hole auger I can use, so I might see how far along I can get with that.  I might get to buy a rotary hammer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#43]

I live in the midwest

I called underground utilities cable locate

marked where i wanted it

I got a 4ft steel pipe, sawed the end to a point, and drove it in with a sledge

no concrete

then buried a bunch of radials about 2” under the grass

it’s been fine for about a decade

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#44]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

I live in the midwest

I called underground utilities cable locate

marked where i wanted it

I got a 4ft steel pipe, sawed the end to a point, and drove it in with a sledge

no concrete

then buried a bunch of radials about 2" under the grass

it's been fine for about a decade

View Quote

I might do a hybrid of this, auger a hole as deep as I can get it, then pound it the rest of the way, and fill the remaining hole with concrete.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I wouldn't mind driving but you aren't driving crap here unless it's unbelievably wet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:11:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#46]

Yeah I ordered the omni tilt base from DXE.

I bought a 6 foot pipe today, but I think I am going to have trouble digging a suitable 4 foot deep hole that won't take 20 bags of concrete.  A local contractor quoted $220 if he doesn't hit bedrock or a boulder.

But I need the exercise, and my FIL has a handheld post hole auger I can use, so I might see how far along I can get with that.  I might get to buy a rotary hammer.
View Quote

Yea my hole diameter kept getting bigger.  I had a borrowed twist type post hole auger.  I kept running into rocks.  The dirt profile is about a 50% mix of shoebox sized rocks.  I was nearly at three feet and suddenly found a void.  I almost lost the 5 foot pry bar down that hole.  The site formerly had an above ground pool and the water discharge from the pool pump was about where I wanted my mast.  I suspect ten years of water discharge made that void.  (tThe plan was to reuse the electrical conduit run that fed the pool pump but that was its own disaster as they used a piece of pool hose to make a bend in the conduit run.  It was of course filled with wet sand from where the duct tape joints failed. ).   I couldn’t pull the URD wire and later dug it all up and salvaged the three insulated wires to add to the radial collection).  Oh and I had to move my hole over a few feet after stuffing as many rocks into that void.

I used three bags of quick crete.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#47]
Setting up a new antenna at the park today.

On the way, spotted a flea market i had not been to.

May present the CW McCall. Lol

Will it work? A mystery to be solved tonight.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA:

Antennna Test of Chameleon CHA Emcomm III Base i got at the hamfest.

About 30' up inverted V, 25' counterpoise.

10m 1.1
12m 1.2
15m 1.1
17m 1.5
20m 1.7
30m 2.0
40m 2.2
80m 2.4
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Yea my hole diameter kept getting bigger.  I had a borrowed twist type post hole auger.  I kept running into rocks.  The dirt profile is about a 50% mix of shoebox sized rocks.  I was nearly at three feet and suddenly found a void.  I almost lost the 5 foot pry bar down that hole.  The site formerly had an above ground pool and the water discharge from the pool pump was about where I wanted my mast.  I suspect ten years of water discharge made that void.  (tThe plan was to reuse the electrical conduit run that fed the pool pump but that was its own disaster as they used a piece of pool hose to make a bend in the conduit run.  It was of course filled with wet sand from where the duct tape joints failed. ).   I couldn't pull the URD wire and later dug it all up and salvaged the three insulated wires to add to the radial collection).  Oh and I had to move my hole over a few feet after stuffing as many rocks into that void.

I used three bags of quick crete.
View Quote

I bought five 80lb bags today, and I have one year old bag already, but it may or may not have solidified sitting in the garage.  It's a dry climate, but that stuff doesn't last forever.

I am beat from working on a new garden though.  I bought a yard and a half of dirt in addition to the bags of concrete, and shoveled it all out of the truck and spread it around inside a raised garden bed frame that I assembled yesterday.  The hole will have to wait until next weekend.

I'll try to remember to take pics, but I usually take one or two and then get so absorbed in what I'm doing that I forget to take more until I am finished.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Also, getting close to another POTA award.  I was hoping to get this today, but band conditions seem poor today.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 6:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#50]
40m was the place to be from what I could tell.

But that really limits you during the day. Still not a bad day for radio. Most of my contacts were other parks hunting me.

The thrift store CB works. Folks yelling at each other on Ch-6. Lol.

Now........ to hook up a digirig and see what kind of FT8 is out there on 11m.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 55
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 43 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top