User Panel

Site Notices
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 15 of 55)
Page / 55
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

That there is a good idea. I like spinning the dial and finding interesting CQ's. How does the wolf river coil compare to the trap dipole you have?
View Quote

I have not deployed them at the same time, but they both work well.

The day I got the WOLF RIVER, I set it up in the yard, dipped it for 7mhz, and did a side by side test with the TARHEEL II mobile antenna.

My TS480HX has 2 antenna ports, so it was easy to switch back n forth

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/ARFCOM-WEEKLY-SSB-PHONE-NET-Tuesdays-8-00-PM-EST-on-40m-See-first-post-for-the-latest-info-/22-696554/?page=106

Gyprat said I was 2 S-units better on the WOLF, other said it was about the same.

all 3 yield contacts with no trouble.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

My lack of diplomacy does not cover getting into hot water with the LE community. When a cop gets a report from Joe Citizen he automatically has a need to know that you are doing nothing illegal.

In general the LE community likes us as we have a reputation for providing service to the public.
View Quote

no WWII Japanese defensive positions were shelled in this POTA activation

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

I have not deployed them at the same time, but they both work well.

The day I got the WOLF RIVER, I set it up in the yard, dipped it for 7mhz, and did a side by side test with the TARHEEL II mobile antenna.

My TS480HX has 2 antenna ports, so it was easy to switch back n forth

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/ARFCOM-WEEKLY-SSB-PHONE-NET-Tuesdays-8-00-PM-EST-on-40m-See-first-post-for-the-latest-info-/22-696554/?page=106

Gyprat said I was 2 S-units better on the WOLF, other said it was about the same.

all 3 yield contacts with no trouble.
View Quote

I was on that night, and I heard you on the wolf river, but not the tarheel. 3x3.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I want to play pota, but the thought of trying to write down or log call signs correctly and having a pile up are kind of terrifying. I am good with hearing a call sign a few times to get it right when I am spinning the dial. My hearing sucks, and I radio with headphones without hearing aids to help understand the alpha characters. No way I could work a big pile up without pissing off all the impatient operators out there.
View Quote

One of the best things about POTA and radio in general are the mental and focus challenges. It's good for ya! If you run QRP, you'll draw in less traffic and would be more manageable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]

I was on that night, and I heard you on the wolf river, but not the tarheel. 3x3.
View Quote

the QRPKITS dipole is 20/40m only, and requires trees or something to raise it

last year, most of my POTA activitations were 20 or 40

this year, we’ve been starting at 10m and working our way down

10, 15, and 17 are waking up nicely, which is great because 20/40 are often too crowded to find a spot to call CQ

so, that is one advantage of the WOLF or TARHEEL 6-80m
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:32:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#6]
I want to play pota, but the thought of trying to write down or log call signs correctly and having a pile up are kind of terrifying. I am good with hearing a call sign a few times to get it right when I am spinning the dial. My hearing sucks, and I radio with headphones without hearing aids to help understand the alpha characters. No way I could work a big pile up without pissing off all the impatient operators out there.
View Quote
It can be a bit daunting, as the instances of huge pileups has increased recently.

If you're getting started and want to ease into things, consider some things that might sort of self-handicap you so that less stations might find you and thus avoid a huge pileup:

-Use less popular bands, like anything above 20M when propagation is decent.
-Turn down your TX power, so less people might hear you.
-If you're an Extra class, stay in the Extra-only portions of the band.
-Use digital modes if so equipped and let the PC handle the pileups.
-Don't call CQ, rather just spin the dial and "hunt and pounce" other people calling CQ.
-Don't self spot yourself.

I usually run 10 watts, and I really only get the bad pileups on 40 meters most of the time.  Other bands are usually much more manageable.  I'll sometimes just be in the mood for a lazier and relaxed time when activating and will take steps like these to make things easier for me so I can enjoy being in the park a bit more.  Also, I highly suggest moving to PC or tablet logging if you can.  With a good program that you're well versed in, it makes recording the needed QSO info much quicker than pen and paper.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Interested
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]

the QRPKITS dipole is 20/40m only, and requires trees or something to raise it

last year, most of my POTA activitations were 20 or 40

this year, we've been starting at 10m and working our way down

10, 15, and 17 are waking up nicely, which is great because 20/40 are often too crowded to find a spot to call CQ

so, that is one advantage of the WOLF or TARHEEL 6-80m
View Quote
With a 17-ft whip, sometimes it's nice to just leave the coil in the bag and use the whip alone for 20M and up.  You get a nice fine-tunable quarter wave ground plane antenna without any loading needed,  Just slide the whip in and out as needed, and I use the tape measure radials which can also be fine tuned.

I think this was when doing 10M.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]

I almost forgot.....

right after we worked you, 2 sheriff's dept. vehicles pulled up.

I waved as they approached.

They said some fishermen called in suspicious activity

I enthusiastically said -- "We are playing ham radio, it's called parks on the air,  we just talked to ALASKA"

"Alaska?!?!"  . . . .wow
 -- he said

I showed him my log and they smiled, we chatted for a min., and they left.

I looked over, and Karen & cuck had already left in the 1998 dodge minivan fishermobile

@piccolo would have been disappointed in my diplomacy
View Quote

Good deal.  What did Karen and company think you were?  Maybe a Russian spy station ?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
@lorazepam

one more thing.

you are in control of the pile-up.

When it gets too hectic, and sounds like a swarm of bees, . . . I slow it down by saying

"OK, mobile stations only please, QRzed"

then park-to-park only

then QRP only

with these, I slow things down by asking about there station, rig, antenna, etc., and maybe compliment them on how well it's working.

that makes it more interesting too.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
@lorazepam

one more thing.

you are in control of the pile-up.

When it gets too hectic, and sounds like a swarm of bees, . . . I slow it down by saying

"OK, mobile stations only please, QRzed"

then park-to-park only

then QRP only

with these, I slow things down by asking about there station, rig, antenna, etc., and maybe compliment them on how well it's working.

that makes it more interesting too.

View Quote

I enjoy listening to a good pile up manager. Some of them are very good. There is a team of women who do pota a lot, and they are very good at it. I stop and listen when they are on the air.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:02:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#12]
@lorazepam

Don't be too intimidated by it, POTA hunters are very patient. The impatient ones are generally ignored. There are ways to shrink the pile up to manageable levels. Also, you can make it easier by picking certain times of the days. Early morning and late afternoon into evening is the busiest. Go at 10am on a Tuesday, if your schedule allows, and it's going to be enjoyable but not breakneck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, I did it. I signed up for POTA an ordered the lithium battery that was featured on here from Amazon.  Lets see how motivated I am.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:43:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QRPer] [#14]
Activated a park Friday and that night got this email from a guy saying he had recorded our QSO and posted it on YouTube.  I thought that was cool.  If you want, go about halfway through the short video and our contact is there.  This is only to prove to you people that I do actually know code...
Buddipole Adjustable Shock Cord Whip and the KX3
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By K0UA:
Ok, I did it. I signed up for POTA an ordered the lithium battery that was featured on here from Amazon.  Lets see how motivated I am.  
View Quote

COOL

you can start hunting right now....

https://pota.app/#/
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:50:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC2671] [#16]
Special event station W4M is POTA and SOTA in Franklin Co VA. Currently 7.243

International Marconi Day, April 23rd, 2022
W1AA   7.239
K2M 7.235
W2RTM  7.206
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally got Hawaii on phone last night for my last state for WAS.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#19]

COOL

you can start hunting right now....

https://pota.app/#/
View Quote

I have the diamond hunting cert.  pretty close to Saphire.  should have that by tomorrow.  

They make the certs. FAR FAR to easy. Might be ok to have the bronze at 10, but the others in line should be really stretched out so that they are far more difficult to achieve.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#20]

I have the diamond hunting cert.  pretty close to Saphire.  should have that by tomorrow.  

They make the certs. FAR FAR to easy. Might be ok to have the bronze at 10, but the others in line should be really stretched out so that they are far more difficult to achieve.
View Quote

I tend to agree.  Turn on radio...get a cert.  talk to someone..get a cert...talk to someone else..get a cert.

Awards aren't really my thing though so maybe people want that.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:47:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#21]
The awards aren't really the idea behind POTA, it's just something for those that want it or need that validation of their activation or hunting. I'm 50/50 on it to be honest. I work towards them, it's fun to get them too. But if they took them away, I wouldn't care.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
The awards aren't really the idea behind POTA, it's just something for those that want it or need that validation of their activation or hunting. I'm 50/50 on it to be honest. I work towards them, it's fun to get them too. But if they took them away, I wouldn't care.
View Quote
Yep, it's more just for fun to me. I look forward to the tougher awards like WAS, the 10 bands at a park, late shifts, Kilo, etc. But the regular activation/hunter ones are pretty meaningless to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Yep, it's more just for fun to me. I look forward to the tougher awards like WAS, the 10 bands at a park, late shifts, Kilo, etc. But the regular activation/hunter ones are pretty meaningless to me.
View Quote
That's a fair point. It took me a while to get WAS too. I've been doing POTA since I got licensed, so for 1.5 years now. I just got it back in the fall using the DC wild card. Then just got HI last night. So it isn't that easy. I got WAS through QRZ in about 2 months of being on HF I think. You're also right about the N1CC award. That's a tough one. I have it for one park. But still have 9 more parks to go before I can get the award....probably not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Don’t need the validation, the whole thing is just a little motivation for little goals, a reason to switch the station on for a purpose even if slightly contrived.  Otherwise, I might switch on once or twice a week.  I might give it half hour to an hour maybe four times a week.  

I don’t have  all 50 states for POTA but I am not far off, need ME, MT, HI, and WY.   Just got MS and DC this week. Sometimes I will just ignore POTA and do a dx rag chew if the overseas ham is up for a few minutes chat.   variety.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Don't need the validation, the whole thing is just a little motivation for little goals, a reason to switch the station on for a purpose even if slightly contrived.  Otherwise, I might switch on once or twice a week.  I might give it half hour to an hour maybe four times a week.  

I don't have  all 50 states for POTA but I am not far off, need ME, MT, HI, and WY.   Just got MS and DC this week. Sometimes I will just ignore POTA and do a dx rag chew if the overseas ham is up for a few minutes chat.   variety.
View Quote
It's different for everyone that's for sure. There's a local guy who when he got licensed I introduced him to POTA. He went wild with it and has thousands upon thousands of QSO's as an activator. Very prolific. I love to activate and would go more but home life comes first. So I don't get to go as much as I'd like. Anyway, he really enjoys working towards Kilos and other awards. I mean really lives for the whole thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#26]
It's different for everyone that's for sure. There's a local guy who when he got licensed I introduced him to POTA. He went wild with it and has thousands upon thousands of QSO's as an activator. Very prolific. I love to activate and would go more but home life comes first. So I don't get to go as much as I'd like. Anyway, he really enjoys working towards Kilos and other awards. I mean really lives for the whole thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Don't need the validation, the whole thing is just a little motivation for little goals, a reason to switch the station on for a purpose even if slightly contrived.  Otherwise, I might switch on once or twice a week.  I might give it half hour to an hour maybe four times a week.  

I don't have  all 50 states for POTA but I am not far off, need ME, MT, HI, and WY.   Just got MS and DC this week. Sometimes I will just ignore POTA and do a dx rag chew if the overseas ham is up for a few minutes chat.   variety.

My unfulfilled goal is to get off my butt and do some short hiking POTA/SOTA activations for the exercise.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#27]
There's a guy using 7200 for an activation. Man it's a shit show.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#28]
There's a guy using 7200 for an activation. Man it's a shit show.
View Quote

Lol I should try that sometime
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#29]
i’ve worked a guy a bunch of times who does POTA with a TS-590, IC-7300 or FTDX10

i forgot his call but he’s got pics on his QRZ page

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

Lol I should try that sometime
View Quote
Not that I'm advocating intentional QRM or anything.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#31]
i’ve worked a guy a bunch of times who does POTA with a TS-590, IC-7300 or FTDX10

i forgot his call but he’s got pics on his QRZ page

View Quote

FTDX3000 has a carry handle too
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:40:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#32]

edit

QRT
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#33]
POTA screenshot from 04/26/2022

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#34]
That's some good DX contacts! My wife and I gonna try to go camping next week. So hoping to get some POTA in while there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Snuck in a quick activation before the rain started today, finally got a chance to try out the QCX mini with the K6ARK EFHW.  I used the 10v battery from my KX2, guessing it was putting out four watts. Took a half hour to get ten and then it started raining.  I think I had three P2P.

Nice to be able to carry whole thing in a coat pocket on my hike.  It would be even nicer if it would warm up here so I wouldn’t need a coat in May

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Mine was SD. I got it early on but I played hell getting it confirmed. I actually found another SD and got that one confirmed riki tik.

The part that pissed me off to no fucking end is I Googled my first SD contact and he was some kind of big shot MD or something with more than one airplane, boats and all SORTS of toys yet he couldn't bother to pick up a lousy card, fill it out and put it intm MY SASE.

Bastard could have at least had his secratary or someone be his QSL manager.

The richer they are, the longer it takes for a QSL card.

Some guy working still ditch digger will generally get one out the day he gets it.

Go figure
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:
Snuck in a quick activation before the rain started today, finally got a chance to try out the QCX mini with the K6ARK EFHW.  I used the 10v battery from my KX2, guessing it was putting out four watts. Took a half hour to get ten and then it started raining.  I think I had three P2P.

Nice to be able to carry whole thing in a coat pocket on my hike.  It would be even nicer if it would warm up here so I wouldn’t need a coat in May

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359275/3A55437F-5F7C-41B3-8A86-D481EB3465DF_jpe-2373151.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:

Nice to be able to carry whole thing in a coat pocket on my hike.  It would be even nicer if it would warm up here so I wouldn't need a coat in May

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359275/3A55437F-5F7C-41B3-8A86-D481EB3465DF_jpe-2373151.JPG
View Quote
Nice! I'm bringing mine with me Monday and gonna give it a go. Kinda nervous about a CW activation.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice! I'm bringing mine with me Monday and gonna give it a go. Kinda nervous about a CW activation.
View Quote

Good luck!  CW activations are lots of fun. Maybe catch you on the air!
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:51:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#40]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:38:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#41]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Hey Derek, how long is your whip?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
IF I don't ride my moto to work tomorrow, I'll probably do a late activation (~00:45-01:15 Sat AM EST)
of one of the nearby POTA parks (near Titusville, FL)

I hear a lot of EU at those hours on 20m will try and do 40m as well.   check the POTA site to confirm activation/freq.

eta: well that was a bust.. one contact from Canada and he had no idea about POTA

heard more action on 20m than 40.  
but the noise floor on 40 was up considerably
View Quote
You only got one? Did you spot yourself?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Hey Derek, how long is your whip?
View Quote

102” IIRC

i bought it used
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Derek,, have we worked?  I am James KØUA
View Quote

@K0UA

PM sent
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#47]
That would work great for the higher bands. I have a wrc mini, and a 17' whip. They claim I should be able to do 10-80 with it. Here's hoping. I am hoping once my fittings get here I will find out. Feeling good enough to get out now, and it is starting to warm up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#49]

yes I did.  the VE that responded just ran across me,  he had no knowledge of POTA
(and seeing how it wasn't a 'valid' activation (<10 qso's) I just logged the guy on QRZ/LoTW)

it was just past midnight here (0400utc)  so maybe most were already in bed.. I just wanted to pull in some DX
and get a Late Shift Activation under my belt.  oh well.

maybe if work is slow tonight, I can activate at a more reasonable hour..
View Quote
That's a tough time to snag SSB POTA contacts from my experience doing overnight camping activations, the voice calls tend to taper off around 10pm.  I usually transition to FT8 to work some extra contacts while I enjoy a drink by the firepit at that time of night.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:45:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#50]

yes I did.  the VE that responded just ran across me,  he had no knowledge of POTA
(and seeing how it wasn't a 'valid' activation (<10 qso's) I just logged the guy on QRZ/LoTW)

it was just past midnight here (0400utc)  so maybe most were already in bed.. I just wanted to pull in some DX
and get a Late Shift Activation under my belt.  oh well.

maybe if work is slow tonight, I can activate at a more reasonable hour..
View Quote
After midnight, ah ok. Yeah I could see that happening on phone. I didn't pay attention to the time. Most guys transition to FT8 at that time since it keeps moving.
Page / 55
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 15 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top