BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hate to break it to you, but the whole world, with the exception of the USA (even the French!) use Zed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did “Zed” come from?

Brits say "zed" instead of "zee".

Hate to break it to you, but the whole world, with the exception of the USA (even the French!) use Zed.

Zed is metric for Zee.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Join the ARRL.  it’s got a decent monthly magazine with good info

setup your www.qrz.com page. put up some photos of stuff you’re interested in. mine has an old pic of me shooting my CMP M1 rifle, USPSA/IPSC, jeep, etc

it’s a good way to start a conversation

where else can you see @Piccolo with his 1970’s army pickle suit, an M14 rifle, bottle of scotch and a pizza

(pronounced “Q R Zed” )

find an active local club to join. get involved, go to ARRL FIELD DAY last weekend of June.  help out and learn from the old guys.

it’s a great way to see things in action, HF DX, CW (morse) satellite, solar, digital, etc.

once you upgrade to general and start working some DX, get setup with your QSL bureau. you send them a few $$$ and or envelopes and they send you QSL cards from countries you worked

get involved and see all the different directions you can explore in this goofy hobby
View Quote

Thanks for the advice, I passed Tech and General this morning.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

excellent !

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

excellent !

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/7902066B-A93B-471B-9499-84BED05B1FF9_jpe-1813528.JPG

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good luck, we'll be the 13'ers of the ham world.
View Quote

Okay, that was funny.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#8]
this before you p in here again.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Join date and underscored screen name says a lot. Do what you feel you need to do, but please keep those sentiments in the General Discussion Forum.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy fuck that is a stupid thing to say publicly.

Got a driver's license?  Ever bought a gun from a dealer?  Own any property? Pay taxes? Have a job? Social Security #?

Pretty sure you're "registered" wif da gubmint in some way.

For those interested in ham radio, this is how NOT to be.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just the kind of encouragement the RKIs need to try to help the newer folks
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Got my Tech and General today and only missed two.  I'll take it after 9 days of studying start to finish.

Now I have to figure out how I can mount an antenna on my current satellite dish mount. I have an old dish I'd like to remove from the mount.  I have an HOA but it's on the back side of my house and I'm pretty sure  I could put a Yagi on it no one could see it from the street to report me.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Got my Tech and General today and only missed two.  I'll take it after 9 days of studying start to finish.

Now I have to figure out how I can mount an antenna on my current satellite dish mount. I have an old dish I'd like to remove from the mount.  I have an HOA but it's on the back side of my house and I'm pretty sure  I could put a Yagi on it no one could see it from the street to report me.

View Quote

Congrats!  What kind of antenna are you thinking about? Maybe leave the dish for camouflage?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Congrats!  What kind of antenna are you thinking about? Maybe leave the dish for camouflage?
View Quote

Not sure. Being so new, I bought a Yaesu FT3DR that I need to learn how to use and enjoy it for awhile truthfully before I even think about setting up some kind of HF station. I have a finished attic and a perfect desk set up for a station (albeit on the second floor) but the sat dish is on the opposite side of the house so there are some issues to consider. I thought about a vertical antenna that I could simply mount to the dish as camo, or remove the dish and re-use the mount somehow. I have so much learning to do first. I have learned a lot studying but I also memorized answers for the test that don’t translate to true learning.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Good call Keith1980.

Congrats Caniac!  Great to hear!  I hear that's a great radio.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Congratulations, and welcome to amateur radio.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now it's time for his credit card to be screaming "Please don't hurt me anymore".
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:29:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Now it's time for his credit card to be screaming "Please don't hurt me anymore".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between this thread and the reloading supplies/ammo thread in Team my wallet is taking a beating this month.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Between this thread and the reloading supplies/ammo thread in Team my wallet is taking a beating this month.
View Quote

I get it !

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here. Whee, another expensive hobby!
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Same here. Whee, another expensive hobby!
View Quote

Congrats!  
For what it's worth, do check out local clubs.  I think ARRL is worth the money if only to support them in their support of the hobby.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
After years of being on a local net and having many rag chews in CO, I moved to WY and got on the local repeater and called CQ. A quick reply told me not to call CQ on a repeater. All these years and I never realized that is a no no. HF okay, not on a repeater. Learned real quick. He was a nice fellow and told me about the local club
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
After years of being on a local net and having many rag chews in CO, I moved to WY and got on the local repeater and called CQ. A quick reply told me not to call CQ on a repeater. All these years and I never realized that is a no no. HF okay, not on a repeater. Learned real quick. He was a nice fellow and told me about the local club
View Quote

Yeah, I was told that here as well, in a very nice way. Most hop on and give their call sign and say listening or monitoring. I usually just scan the local repeaters and leo/ems and don't transmit very often.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
its not Q R Zed. we aren't british.
View Quote

Well, if your call sign ends in Z, perhaps we are. Zulu works, I guess, but I'm usually N1UTZed so people can understand me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Why did I just receive a voicemail from a guy saying he had a message for me from some call sign in Canada and for me to call him back?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I got one of those the other week. Said he had a radio gram for me and if I had any questions to call him back. No clue what that’s about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why did I just receive a voicemail from a guy saying he had a message for me from some call sign in Canada and for me to call him back?

I got one of those the other week. Said he had a radio gram for me and if I had any questions to call him back. No clue what that’s about.

Someone trolling the license database for new licensees apparently.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, what is their goal?

I'm a new licensee, with my license posted on the FCC website on 1/27.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So, what is their goal?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what is their goal?

Advertising maybe... congratulations on your license from your friends at XYZ amateur supply.

Or just a hook for some kind of scam.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Advertising maybe... congratulations on your license from your friends at XYZ amateur supply.

Or a hook for some kind of scam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what is their goal?

Or a hook for some kind of scam.

I'd go with option B.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I have heard from Rumor Control that various venders are doing that.

Still, watch out for scams.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#36]
For something a bit even more obscure than a PO box, you can use a mail forwarding service such as full time RVers use.

I Escapees RV club.  My address is indistinguishable from an apartment address.  It's on my DL, CHL, insurance paperwork, everything.  I pay the top level service short of digital scans, + whatever postage for the weekly forward.  Cost me maybe $300 a year.

It will be a very long time before i go back to using my actual permanent address.  If ever.

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I got my tech 8 yrs ago because of the possibility of using ham at work ( ER related).  Bought a UV-5, tried to listen for a week . . . Did not find anything & put it up.  Cleaning up boxes after a move a month ago & found the UV-5 . . . Off to goodwill.

TWO WEEKS later, a buddy called me & said he was going for a tech & then general . . .well hell, got somebody to talk to now, so I just got General last nite.  I re-purchased another 2 of the   BaoFeng radios - (BF-R3 Tri-Bands) & have an Yaesu FT-65R purchased - waiting to get here.  Guess I am back in it for the 1st time. . . . Gonna explore this a bit . . I am sure I will be hanging out here some of the time!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For something a bit even more obscure than a PO box, you can use a mail forwarding service such as full time RVers use.

I Escapees RV club.  My address is indistinguishable from an apartment address.  It's on my DL, CHL, insurance paperwork, everything.  I pay the top level service short of digital scans, + whatever postage for the weekly forward.  Cost me maybe $300 a year.

It will be a very long time before i go back to using my actual permanent address.  If ever.
View Quote

They just put your name into one of the personal info databases and out pops a phone number.

If you've ever had a utility or credit card bill or almost anything mailed to your home, it's a waste of time to get a PO Box as people can find your home address in seconds.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congratulations! I hope to talk to you soon!
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great job!
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So, what is their goal?

View Quote

This is actually somewhat common of an occurrence for new licensees.  You were sent what is called a radiogram, and it's done by some clubs and traffic handling net groups as a practice for them passing general traffic over the air and also supposed to be a sort of "wow, that's cool" to the new licensee, but in this day and age, I will admit it comes across as creepy and off-putting.

So to explain what happened, there are these groups of hams who regularly, sometimes daily, meet at an agreed time and frequency to hold a net where they "pass traffic".  It's a training exercise to prepare for a possible emergency scenario where they might pass health and welfare messages over the air to help non-hams communicate when conventional methods are down.  Think of it like sending a letter, except the message is passed by voice rather than written.

To practice for this, they need to have messages to pass over the air, so a common thing they'll do is look at the list of new licensees and write a friendly congratulations message to the new ham.  That message will be passed vocally over the air during one of these nets, and the station that received it over the air is then tasked with passing it to you, the new licensee.  Sometimes they will email it to you using your QRZ email, and sometimes they will call you on your phone number if they have it, and some old timers will actually take it from there and write you a snail mail letter to send you the message (this happened to me way back when I started).

So there you go, it's nothing nefarious and it's supposed to amaze you with the "power of amateur radio!" while giving the traffic nets something to do.  But yea, nowadays probably not a great practice IMO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you buy wisely, the rig you get will be fine for years. You don't have to buy ammo for it!

It is not as expensive as some would say when you look at the cost over time. I build most of my antennas which helps.

Avoiding buying a pile of HTs is a great place to start! Mobile rigs for VHF/UHF, a good power supply, one good HF rig....and lots of
copper wire and ground rods and you are set for awhile.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They just put your name into one of the personal info databases and out pops a phone number.

If you've ever had a utility or credit card bill or almost anything mailed to your home, it's a waste of time to get a PO Box as people can find your home address in seconds.
View Quote

That is why all my mail goes to a po box.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:26:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is actually somewhat common of an occurrence for new licensees.  You were sent what is called a radiogram, and it's done by some clubs and traffic handling net groups as a practice for them passing general traffic over the air and also supposed to be a sort of "wow, that's cool" to the new licensee, but in this day and age, I will admit it comes across as creepy and off-putting.

So to explain what happened, there are these groups of hams who regularly, sometimes daily, meet at an agreed time and frequency to hold a net where they "pass traffic".  It's a training exercise to prepare for a possible emergency scenario where they might pass health and welfare messages over the air to help non-hams communicate when conventional methods are down.  Think of it like sending a letter, except the message is passed by voice rather than written.

To practice for this, they need to have messages to pass over the air, so a common thing they'll do is look at the list of new licensees and write a friendly congratulations message to the new ham.  That message will be passed vocally over the air during one of these nets, and the station that received it over the air is then tasked with passing it to you, the new licensee.  Sometimes they will email it to you using your QRZ email, and sometimes they will call you on your phone number if they have it, and some old timers will actually take it from there and write you a snail mail letter to send you the message (this happened to me way back when I started).

So there you go, it's nothing nefarious and it's supposed to amaze you with the "power of amateur radio!" while giving the traffic nets something to do.  But yea, nowadays probably not a great practice IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what is their goal?

This exactly. I didn't get one of those messages, but I know a few hams that have.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:43:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Interestingly, I just googled myself and my cell phone number isn't listed.  Nor is any past home address.

I'm sure if someone really dug they could find it.  But a quick google doesn't appear to have anything.  Professional stuff mostly.  And obituaries I was named in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what is their goal?

Yep

I got a phone call in 2016 after I got tech just like that with a message from a ham in WA that passed it to a ham in RI that then called me on the phone
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well I just googled myself and sure as shit, there was my number and address. Might as well save money on that PO Box I guess and cancel it.
View Quote

PO Box is pretty much a waste of time, especially if it's in the same city where you live. I thought about getting one but just Googling my name and town brings up my address on numerous people search sites so there was no point.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#49]
bump

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

The whole world uses metric measurement system too. It's 100 times easier, more practical and you don't have to remember conversion multipliers or fractions. I don't see ft, inches and miles going away anytime soon. It's what people are used to. I always say - "Zee" for Z.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top