User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use my TYT MD-UV380s with Heil Headphones with mikes all the time with no issues.
Voiding the warranty on an $80 HT ? Not a worry for me on an $80 HT.

I'm more worried about messing up my fine $34 headset!

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hls-hthd-k

Another option Ive used is to plug a headset w/o mic into the headset jack of this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5GT21B

This would not be a warranty breaker
View Quote

The Alinco is ~$200. And that mic would be a warranty breaker for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is encryption the priority? Why are you choosing AES if so? DES I believe is a stronger standard. Pickup some used motorolas, a KVL and you're good to go.
View Quote

DES dates back to the 70s. It uses a 56 bit key and is crackable quite readily by COTS hardware.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry, I thought we were talking about a TYT warranty not an Alinco, "reading is fundamental" I guess.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sorry, I thought we were talking about a TYT warranty not an Alinco, "reading is fundamental" I guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries, I mentioned both radios in my post

I like the features of the TYT, just wish it had better shielding. $100 radio + $100 PTT is a lot better than any of the other options.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is encryption the priority? Why are you choosing AES if so? DES I believe is a stronger standard. Pickup some used motorolas, a KVL and you're good to go.
View Quote

DES is far weaker than AES.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#6]
So does the TYT MD 380 have AES?

If so I’ll add it to the OP.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

AES is the stronger standard. DES is weak, with a very small key size.
One can trivially brute-force DES on consumer hardware.

Quoted:
So does the TYT MD 380 have AES?

If so I’ll add it to the OP.
View Quote

@swampfoxoutdoors
No, I wish. It has something homebrew by TYT.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:@swampfoxoutdoors
No, I wish. It has something homebrew by TYT.
View Quote
Most everyone's basic and enhanced privacy are proprietary. Motorola can't talk to TYT or Harris or ......
AES256 is a standard which is interoperable.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
XTS5000 w/ KfdTool =p25 aes
View Quote

Exactly. No proprietary Motorola software to deal with...keyloading on P25 equipment is standardized as long as you have the hardware and it's enabled.

I've actually got one of those KfdTools...and was ordering hirose adapters for my Astro Sabers and XTS's yesterday (federal surplus Astro Sabers...some had the rare AES module in them) and then I have a handful of XTS5000's with UCM in them as well. None of my XTS1500's or XTS2500's have the UCMs though. Also have to add an AES module to an XTS3000 because...I happen to have a bunch of USAF surplus EFJ 5100's with the AES module...so that's but a simple swap into the 3K.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Exactly. No proprietary Motorola software to deal with...keyloading on P25 equipment is standardized as long as you have the hardware and it's enabled.

I've actually got one of those KfdTools...and was ordering hirose adapters for my Astro Sabers and XTS's yesterday (federal surplus Astro Sabers...some had the rare AES module in them) and then I have a handful of XTS5000's with UCM in them as well. None of my XTS1500's or XTS2500's have the UCMs though. Also have to add an AES module to an XTS3000 because...I happen to have a bunch of USAF surplus EFJ 5100's with the AES module...so that's but a simple swap into the 3K.
View Quote

I just remembered I have 7 or 8 XTS3000s I’ll have to see what they have in them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I just remembered I have 7 or 8 XTS3000s I’ll have to see what they have in them.
View Quote

I got one of those generic...I'm worried about the state of the country in the upcoming weeks...please have some radios available "Justin Case" from a family member and I was like...shit, good enough excuse to pull my stockpile out and charge batteries, function check, etc. Only been like 5 years since I last checked (or used) my first gen Astro gear.

Got all 7 Astro Sabers out...found the 3K MII I thought was dead (turns out I had one I didn't know about as I also found the dead one) and even found a 5K M1 I had misplaced.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I got one of those generic...I'm worried about the state of the country in the upcoming weeks...please have some radios available "Justin Case" from a family member and I was like...shit, good enough excuse to pull my stockpile out and charge batteries, function check, etc. Only been like 5 years since I last checked (or used) my first gen Astro gear.

Got all 7 Astro Sabers out...found the 3K MII I thought was dead (turns out I had one I didn't know about as I also found the dead one) and even found a 5K M1 I had misplaced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 1 Astro Saber III. I love how absurdly huge that radio is.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you help me out with some details on legalities. I have my technician license and it seems from what I read it is not allowed to encrypt traffic.

Is it permissable with the higher certifications or something?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can you help me out with some details on legalities. I have my technician license and it seems from what I read it is not allowed to encrypt traffic.

Is it permissable with the higher certifications or something?
View Quote

No encryption allowed with amateur radio. Business only. You can get a business license, and set up your own encrypted system.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a bump for any more AES radios.

I’m pretty sure the Kenwood NX-1200/1300 will do AES.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Racial/Thales p25 available on the surplus market.

FPP
P25
W/N
AES
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Racial/Thales p25 available on the surplus market.

FPP
P25
W/N
AES
View Quote

If you're talking about the Liberty / PRC-7332 I would stay away, we had them in service at an Air Force base that I was at and experienced ~30% failure rate and Thales no longer supports them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Any other options?

I tried with 2 878 running the same FW, CPS and AES key with no luck.

So seems like the 878 is a no go.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any other options?

View Quote

@GreenDragon has the 878's talking to each other encrypted (business band), so I know it can be done, but not much else.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@GreenDragon has the 878's talking to each other encrypted (business band), so I know it can be done, but not much else.
View Quote

I know It seems like I have seen a few threads here stating that but I can not get it to work at all.

In all reality DES is probably fine for what our company will be using them for but being a radio geek I wanted to go full retarded just because.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#21]
They should work.

I'm no expert, but I'm learning every day.

I'd say go back through your code plug, look at every detail, and go through each radio with a fine tooth comb.  It's got to be one little setting or box that isn't checked somewhere, somehow.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They should work.

I'm no expert, but I'm learning every day.

I'd say go back through your code plug, look at every detail, and go through each radio with a fine tooth comb.  It's got to be one little setting or box that isn't checked somewhere, somehow.
View Quote

Or....  dump the same code plug in to each radio, changing only the DMR ID.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any other options?

View Quote

The 878's work fine with AES.  I may of known someone who setup an AES key on their 878, and another fine person who setup the same key on their 578, and had a brief QSO on one of the local DMR repeaters.  But then it might just be a bad dream too
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Got all 3 of my 878’s talking with AES
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The 878's work fine with AES.  I may of known someone who setup an AES key on their 878, and another fine person who setup the same key on their 578, and had a brief QSO on one of the local DMR repeaters.  But then it might just be a bad dream too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any other options?

I have four 878s and 2 578s set up talk with AES. You can also set up the 878s for 222MHz to talk to 578s, though you want a better HT antenna
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#26]
XTS series with KFD
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got all 3 of my 878’s talking with AES
View Quote

For all of you guys that have AES working on your HT.

What model version of the radio are you running. I had both of these set up to 0000 I think which is full coverage European amateur band.

Also one unit was a 878waprs the other was a 878 w APRS & BT. Just wonder if that was enough of a difference to make it get out of wack.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What model version of the radio are you running. I had both of these set up to 0000 I think which is full coverage European amateur band.

Also one unit was a 878waprs the other was a 878 w APRS & BT. Just wonder if that was enough of a difference to make it get out of wack.
View Quote

I am in 0000 running firmware 1.21, all three redios are cloned with same code plug and are all the BT versions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am in 0000 running firmware 1.21, all three redios are cloned with same code plug and are all the BT versions.
View Quote

10-4

Do you also have Ham frequencies mixed in with it?

It maybe due to my unit being a early 878 APRS unit.

After pricing kenwoods with AES and realizing how expensive the radios & chips will be seems like the 878 is the only feasible option.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Mine are all AT-D878UV Plus GPS/BT set on mode 0014.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine is a non BT model in mode 00000.  Running firmware 1.21
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mine are all AT-D878UV Plus GPS/BT set on mode 0014.
View Quote

Quoted:

Mine is a non BT model in mode 00000.  Running firmware 1.21
View Quote

Well I have no clue why mine wouldn’t work.

The office is going to buying more units. My radio I was dicking with is my personal ham radio.

If y’all say it works I will just buy new 878 units for the office.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top