BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks. I'm wanting to put a hotspot together, but components are very hard to come by right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not  unless there is a local repeater that supports dynamic talkgroups on TGIF. They are out there. More likely, you'll need a hotspot to get in.

Check out the links in the OP.

Thanks. I'm wanting to put a hotspot together, but components are very hard to come by right now.

I purchased one off Amazon, it works.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, why 'build' one?  There are plenty of already built options on Amazon and eBay. Just pay attention to the shipping ETA and don't order something coming from China.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah, why 'build' one?  There are plenty of already built options on Amazon and eBay. Just pay attention to the shipping ETA and don't order something coming from China.
View Quote

I'm frugal cheap. Since that didn't work, I ended up ordering a hotspot. Hopefully I have it set up to get in on the net soon.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It was great to be able to do a quick check in on tonight's net and confirm that my radio and hotspot are properly programmed. I hope to be able to check in on a regular basis going forward.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It was great to be able to do a quick check in on tonight's net and confirm that my radio and hotspot are properly programmed. I hope to be able to check in on a regular basis going forward.
View Quote

Good to hear you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Having some trouble setting up this MMDVM. It worked on brand-mister and it worked on fusion. I copied the pin number off of the TGIF site. Added 556, 411 and 114 networks and made a zone for them in my 878. Getting all green on the dashboard. On step 6 in the TGIF setup tutorial it says to "change the Address box from tgif.network to tgif.network" with the later in bold?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
figured it out, talk to yall tonight.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Good to hear from yall tonight, thanks for the welcome.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good to hear from yall tonight, thanks for the welcome.
View Quote

Yes sir, you as well!

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, some new people on 556. All good.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Good net, gents.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good net, gents.

Jim
View Quote

Thanks Jim!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#13]
In re : Offset Calibration
This is the procedure : http://www.k9npx.com/2019/02/hotspot-offset-calibration.html?m=1
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In re : Offset Calibration
This is the procedure : http://www.k9npx.com/2019/02/hotspot-offset-calibration.html?m=1
View Quote

Awesome. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Still a thing? I've tuned in on Droidstar several times, heard nothing. I'm not big on VOIP modes, but poke around a little here and there. Local repeater has YSF enabled and linked; interesting to listen to.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Still a thing? I've tuned in on Droidstar several times, heard nothing. I'm not big on VOIP modes, but poke around a little here and there. Local repeater has YSF enabled and linked; interesting to listen to.
View Quote

Yep. It’s going now and every Thursday night at 9
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wasn't able to attend due to another club meeting running long, but what I've found with DroidStar is -- you need to transmit a carrier. Sometimes they don't start listening really until you've done that. I've seen that behavior as well with my Pi-Star too. But once I've keyed up a carrier and the hotspot knows the TG I'm listening to it flows like water.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

@NAM

Make sure you have the TGIF security key saved in the settings tab of droidstar.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@NAM

Make sure you have the TGIF security key saved in the settings tab of droidstar.
View Quote

@Alembic

I don't see security key for TGIF, only password. When I enter the password, it fails to connect. When I leave it blank, it connects no problem (and I receive connected ping counts).....but I have yet to hear another soul. I can transmit, and it appears to be working.....but nothing received.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@Alembic

I don't see security key for TGIF, only password. When I enter the password, it fails to connect. When I leave it blank, it connects no problem (and I receive connected ping counts).....but I have yet to hear another soul. I can transmit, and it appears to be working.....but nothing received.
View Quote

@NAM

I had to look at my settings but that's where the security key goes. Once you register on TGIF you can paste the key into the TGIF password field and then you should have full TX?RX on the talkgroup.

Register here. https://tgif.network/signin.php#signup Hope to hear you on 556 soon.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#21]
"Hotspot Security ID"?

Interestingly, entering that number in the TGIF Pass field does not appear to have changed anything on my end. That is to say, it still appears to let me transmit just as when that field is blank. I'll leave it like this for a while and see if I start picking up any traffic. Just sent out a test call a few minutes ago.

ETA: It shows me active in 556 online, so that might have just been the issue. :-)
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Hotspot Security ID"?

Interestingly, entering that number in the TGIF Pass field does not appear to have changed anything on my end. That is to say, it still appears to let me transmit just as when that field is blank. I'll leave it like this for a while and see if I start picking up any traffic. Just sent out a test call a few minutes ago.

ETA: It shows me active in 556 online, so that might have just been the issue. :-)
View Quote

Try the net tonight, we'll find out if it's workin'.

There's a lot of hit and miss with droid star, works fairly well in quiet environments but phone microphones through the app tend to exaggerate background noise. When I
m driving I'll use a mobile or HT instead based on signal reports that wind noise is half of my audio.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the net going tonight? I'm not sure if I have the correct settings after the security changes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yup. It's over though. Make sure you kerchunk the TG, not just listen.
View Quote

I kerchunked a few times. I wonder if my security settings didn't take yet. I'll play around with it and try to get in next week.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Pretty sure I'm good to go. On Droidstar, no kerchunking is needed unless you want it to show active.

I needed to add the TGIF pass, and then download the vocoder.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Pleasure chatting with you all on the net yesterday! Hope to make it back in next week. 73's / Chris in Fort Lauderdale
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pleasure chatting with you all on the net yesterday! Hope to make it back in next week. 73's / Chris in Fort Lauderdale
View Quote

Good Deal, Chris!

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Just a random reminder to update your user ID database in your radios.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I am currently wondering, lost, in the nerd jungle trying to get a PI-Star hotspot to connect to my Wi-Fi.

It seems to be not agreeable to my skill level.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am currently wondering, lost, in the nerd jungle trying to get a PI-Star hotspot to connect to my Wi-Fi.

View Quote

Try this in order, Click  the Reset WiFi Adapter on the bottom of the configuration page, then Configure WiFi. After it's configured, then Save and Connect. Then Refresh.  If it doesn't connect, check passwords and wifi name and power the hotspot down, wait a bit and power it back on. Try to get the hotspot as close to the WiFi signal. If it is an iPhone hotspot, it is recommended to have the Personal Hotspot screen open when you power up the hotspot.

I'm assuming you're getting into the pi-star through it's IP address and not using it's wifi to configure it?

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Try this in order, Click  the Reset WiFi Adapter on the bottom of the configuration page, then Configure WiFi. After it's configured, then Save and Connect. Then Refresh.  If it doesn't connect, check passwords and wifi name and power the hotspot down, wait a bit and power it back on. Try to get the hotspot as close to the WiFi signal. If it is an iPhone hotspot, it is recommended to have the Personal Hotspot screen open when you power up the hotspot.

I'm assuming you're getting into the pi-star through it's IP address and not using it's wifi to configure it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have made progress after a couple hours.

I did connect to it through the WiFi it was sending out and then setup my wifi settings.

I have now figured out I had to go into my router and find the new IP address for hotspot and then type that into the browser to get back into the menu.

The http://ip-star.local thing was not working at all
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#33]
OK Good Deal. The pi-star local was always hard to get to open it up. I'm guessing that was designed to use a USB connection.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#34]
It seems i have the hotspot going....... now the handheld I think is maybe programmed in for the talkgroup i have no idea. Tried CQ and I will try again later or wait for the net
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It seems i have the hotspot going....... now the handheld I think is maybe programmed in for the talkgroup i have no idea. Tried CQ and I will try again later or wait for the net
View Quote

One thing, you will not get into the 556 talk group without the TGIF security key put into your hotspot. You have too create an account with TGIF to get the key, Just thought I'd mention it. It's rare when you don't get a reply to a CQ.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

One thing, you will not get into the 556 talk group without the TGIF security key put into your hotspot. You have too create an account with TGIF to get the key, Just thought I'd mention it. It's rare when you don't get a reply to a CQ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snap. I think i have that key somewhere. But will have to figure out where to tell the hotspot about it.

Eta: got it programmed into the hotspot.

The instructions are real blurry on the TGIF website on my browser for some reason, like the formatting is jacked up. Hopefuly i got it. I will tune in tonight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OK Good Deal. The pi-star local was always hard to get to open it up. I'm guessing that was designed to use a USB connection.
View Quote

Angry IP Scanner is the program that I use on my Windows PC to find all of the devices connected to my home WIFI router.

Attachment Attached File

I use the IP address of my Pi-Star instead of pi-star.local in the URL on the browser and it connects every time.

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Here my kayak setup for those that were on the net tonight
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And me on alligator watch while calling CQ.  I had the willies the whole time
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#39]

That's awesome!  Thanks for sharing, and nice to talk with you guys tonight!  Here's some of my estate sale haul recently.  About $100 for this stuff, more in the cab.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Heh, Cool. FB there.  I've heard water can be a great ground plane, (saltwater more so)...Have you tried using a trailing radial/ counterpoise?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's awesome!  Thanks for sharing, and nice to talk with you guys tonight!  Here's some of my estate sale haul recently.  About $100 for this stuff, more in the cab.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/319951/Resized_20211023_110756_jpeg-2494544.JPG
View Quote

Nice score.

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:53:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Good net last night. I counted 9 checkins including NCS. Nice to see new folks finding the net, too!

Topic was "what's the coolest ham and/or gun thing you've done so far this summer?" -- hence the photos of kayak QPR antennas, estate sale hauls, and so forth above. Thanks to all who participated!

Cheers,

Ken
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Heh, Cool. FB there.  I've heard water can be a great ground plane, (saltwater more so)...Have you tried using a trailing radial/ counterpoise?
View Quote

I haven’t, trailing was my first thought.  I ended up Gorilla taping the radial wire to the underside of the gunwales.  It’s hidden and out of the way.

Interestingly, I’ve had 100% success working SOTA stations but maybe 10% working POTA.

That was a good net, nice to hear everybody, hope to catch it again soon!
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Here my kayak setup for those that were on the net tonight
View Quote

Still curious: How do you ensure the radio gear stays dry?

Ken
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Love the kayak gear. I'm not a boater, but I enjoy beach time. Here, I'm set up with a BuddiPole whip on 20 meters (no coils) last September, sitting on the 4x4 beach in the North Carolina Outer Banks. With my Icom 7200, I had a QSO with Slovenia, some 4500 miles away. (It was my first trans-Atlantic QSO and I'll never forget that thrill of talking with S57DX on 20 meters SSB.)

Attachment Attached File

Looking to repeat the setup (with a few guying improvements) next month.

Cheers,

Ken

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Kayak portable and beach mobile for the win!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#47]
This month's QST cover story is "Boats On The Air"

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Love the kayak gear. I'm not a boater, but I enjoy beach time. Here, I'm set up with a BuddiPole whip on 20 meters (no coils) last September, sitting on the 4x4 beach in the North Carolina Outer Banks. With my Icom 7200, I had a QSO with Slovenia, some 4500 miles away. (It was my first trans-Atlantic QSO and I'll never forget that thrill of talking with S57DX on 20 meters SSB.)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/399687/IMG_8249_jpeg-2494796.JPG

Looking to repeat the setup (with a few guying improvements) next month.

Cheers,

Ken

View Quote

Oh hell yes.

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Has a nice ring to it: BOTA.

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Good net last night (2022-09-01). I counted 9 check-ins plus myself as NCS.

Topics were Biden's prime time speech or planning for emergency communications.

Not entirely surprisingly, no one waded deeply into the Biden waters, but everyone wanted to chime in on our emergency comms plans.

A couple underlying themes for emcomm included removing infrastructure dependencies wherever possible, making use of all available bands, modes, etc., and being prepared for mobile operations. These are all things I fully support and am constantly working on improving in my own kit.

Great discussions, and thank you to all who participated!

73 de KRvW

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top