BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Fred the Lurker" cracks me up, he should make that his screen name.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
That's awesome, I'm glad you joined and are active with the various nets.

If you add the column for time drift to the log and monitor windows you can get a feel for your time delta compared to everyone else's. Sometimes stations are all over and it's hard to get a feel for what the "correct" time is.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad you joined up. No longer a lurker!

Also the total for the other night.

Attachment Attached File

Below all on 40m
NMBMXER And father I think
Blue dog
Fredthelurker
Mareokuma
KD2 station
W9D station
N0G station
Simple scout seen via relay and tried to send a msg.

I apologize for continually forgetting some of y’alls Calls= screen names. I had it stored on log but some are just down as AR15 member and no name.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#4]
No JS8 for me tomorrow.

Scored a nice used 7300 and have yet to configure it with the PC.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No JS8 for me tomorrow.

Scored a nice used 7300 and have yet to configure it with the PC.
View Quote

Get that puppy on the air!
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I work from home, I can leave my station on automatic tonight and all day tomorrow if you want to leave me a message with your callsign (if I don't have it already.) I leave it on 40m.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Good Morning all!
I will be lurking on 40m tonite!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get that puppy on the air!
View Quote

Going to try and set everything up today on it. While the 7300 is a easy radio to use so I am told any new radio is a steep learning curve for me.

Quoted:
I work from home, I can leave my station on automatic tonight and all day tomorrow if you want to leave me a message with your callsign (if I don't have it already.) I leave it on 40m.
View Quote

Well they yall have it everyone the official check in station this week is Nmbmxer. To make it easy send him a check in msg with screen name.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally got to play again this week. Easy day checking in with @Nmbmxer. Band looked dead but much better than -10dB SNR both ways. I typically run 300W.

Not sure what "Thanks for QRI" means. Thanks "for the tone of my transmission?"
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I meant to type QNI ...

ETA, I'm running 35w at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]
For all that is holy, has no one hacked this stupid piece of garbage to allow a "deselect" after a timeout? My station has been up all day but has been a non-responder to @arfcom calls because I accidentally left it on "directed"
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For all that is holy, has no one hacked this stupid piece of garbage to allow a "deselect" after a timeout? My station has been up all day but has been a non-responder to @arfcom calls because I accidentally left it on "directed"
View Quote

Don't feel bad, I just realized my signalink was powered off for the past 20 minutes!
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I walked down about 20min to late to see your message Fred. The JS8Call net isn't directed, you just send a stored message to the net control station. The message would look like "[NCS call sign] MSG [your check-in message]". If you get a ACK back then the other station got the message in it's entirety and stored it. If you don't get an ACK either a packet was dropped or the other station has a station selected and automatic replies are inactive.

If you can't hear NCS, use "@ALLCALL QUERY CALL [NCS Callsign]" and see if any one you hear can hear them. If so you can nest the MSG under a RELAY and get a message stored with NCS. PSK_Reporter filtered by JS8 is also helpful if you're trying to figure out how to get a relay across or trying to figure out if a specific station is active and you just can't hear them.

If you can't get a relay in to NCS you can store a message at your own station for retrieval later by the other station. I check for stored messages a couple times a day, "@ALLCALL QUERY MSGS" or "@ARFCOM QUERY MSGS", if a station has a message for you then they will return a message ID and you can use that number to retrieve the message.

So far I've only had a stored message from AA777888-2, I saw Fred's message in my history. I tried to connect with TNC earlier but couldn't. I have pretty good SNR's into the west coast in the evenings so maybe he'll leave me a message later tonight. I'll leave it on 40m the rest of the night.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]
SFO is on 80m with his new 7300, I'm going let mine go on 40m the rest of the night. Will post results tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

This weeks JS8Call Participants:

AA7777
FredTheLurker
TNC
SwampfoxOutdoors

Thank you all for sending messages this week.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FredTheLurker
TNC
SwampfoxOutdoors

Thank you all for sending messages this week.
View Quote
Copied all of your @arfcom transmissions here as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

I’m up on 40m if anyone wants to check in today.

Best what to check in is the msg command to my call sign.

The @arfcom is only seen by folks who are actively on. I have mine setup to where I can scroll back thru and check but can be a pain. If one does a @arfcom msg everyone will get the msg that can hear the station which is A ok as well.

Question for the week.

Are you getting out and target shooting with the current ammo situation?

I personally hate shooting what I have not knowing when I can resupply.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Swampfox: I could not reach you ATT, left a message for you with Nmbmxer.

Nmbmxer: thanks for the warm greetings!

Is there a way to leave a message for pick up at your own station?
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

@aa777888-2, I sent you a msg and didn't get an ack back. Right click on the callsign in the log window and select store message. I left one my station for you to try retrieving with query msgs and query msg [id].
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well for some damn reason my pc shut down on me. It’s a referb dell I have $80 in. It works great windows 10, but so far not having good luck with dells. It has done it with me before. The computer will be on, screen will be on and in screen saver mode. When I try to wake it up nothing.
Not sure why it does this. My laptop that died a few months ago was doing something similar.

I turned the screen saver off so maybe that will make the issue go away.

Either way got 3-4 so far in the log. And aaa sent you a msg as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, trying to jump into the game here.  I think I checked in with @aa777888-2 by leaving a message for @swampfoxoutdoors

My station is set for autoreply but never seems to... autoreply.  It posts a pop-up and will timeout, defaulting to NO after a few mins. I just tried whitelisting autoreplies for calls that respond to my @arfcom so we will see.  I am a 2 station ending in Foxtrot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Nmbmxer: I did ack that message, but maybe your station was busy and didn't get it. Also, thank you for the heads up on how to store a message locally.

Saw LT_Beaker's message inbound and outbound.

And Swampfox's signals as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#26]
There was a W9 station that looked like an arfcom station: who is that?
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#27]
There are two stations that ack to @arfcom and we can't figure out who they are. They never respond to messages. SFO and I both have tried numerous times.

@aa777888-2 I saw what looked like a tx from you but it didn't decode. It might have been trying to heartbeat at the same time.

@LT_Beaker, there is a setting to automatically reply with out the pop up, you have to tick it in the settings. That was an added "feature" in the last release. Also change your timeout to 999 if you want it to run unattended for a while. Otherwise after an hour it times out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I think I checked into the wrong station

Not really sure of callsign of nc tonight.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I sent a msg to someone to hold till @swampfoxoutdoors checked in, thinking it was a 9 station.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I sent a msg to someone to hold till @swampfoxoutdoors checked in, thinking it was a 9 station.
View Quote

I got yours from that station
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There was a W9 station that looked like an arfcom station: who is that?
View Quote

That might be me. My screen name here is in my station info if it is.

Been meaning to make checking into this net a habit but it keeps slipping by me. I need to drop it in my calendar so I get a reminder every week.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My station is set for autoreply but never seems to... autoreply.  It posts a pop-up and will timeout, defaulting to NO after a few mins.
View Quote

This is also something I've had an issue with since updating the software a while back. Autoreplies...aren't automatic? Need to look into that myself.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is also something I've had an issue with since updating the software a while back. Autoreplies...aren't automatic? Need to look into that myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My station is set for autoreply but never seems to... autoreply.  It posts a pop-up and will timeout, defaulting to NO after a few mins.

I'll check today when I get to my radio in a few minutes. I'll be operational all day today so please feel free to hit my station.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'll check today when I get to my radio in a few minutes. I'll be operational all day today so please feel free to hit my station.
View Quote

Rgr, in the office today so I'll be up on JS8 all day.

New tablet is out for delivery, so I'll have that to play with as well. Laptops are heavy. ;)

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

New tablet is out for delivery, so I'll have that to play with as well. Laptops are heavy. ;)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rocked a surface laptop 3 and it was perfect. Ran all day on battery saver.

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#37]
FYI, just unchecked "ask for confirmation before sending autoreply...".

I have a feeling that probably took care of the problem.

edit, yeah, batteries were also an issue. And heavy.

I brought 4 batteries and still ran out of juice after 7 hours, but it's an old laptop running a spinner, so....
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

aa777888
NMBMXER
AF7 station
KD2 station
W9D station
Fredthelurker
Lurker 2
SCWolverine
K2Q station
KA7 station
K04 station
NAM
Mareokuma

Don’t think I forgot anyone if I did my bad. Hard for me to keep up with everyone don’t have callsigns to screen names for everyone. Big turnout this week.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

I’m up and running now on 40m and will transition to 80m later tonight.

I’m ready for folks to check in.

Question of the week.

What’s your current carry piece?

Please leave the answer via MSG to my station. If you can not get me direct do a Arfcom SNR and see what friendlies can hear you and leave the msg for me on there station via the msg to command.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#40]
On 80m now
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Is there a way to sort the lastheard box by favorites/starred/comments or just keep certain calls?  It doesn't seem to be an option but I've missed really simple stuff before.

Is it worth sending Jordan an email?

eta: sorting by "Callsigns replied (lastheard first)" is a temp workable solution.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Not that I know of.

I have mine sorted by last heard.

I also put friendly in the LOG under AR15 member in the comments and in the name section screen name.

Also I am on 40M today.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Checked in. Reliable 40M path for this mode as always. Did not see any other arf callsigns in response to my HB or group call transmissions.

Now QRT.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#45]
JS8 is busy tonight on 40m
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I finally got the NC callsign but could not see him via SNR?  
Attempting to relay now via a station that can see him.

Thanks for the dude who tried to help me relay.....

not sure i know enough yet to relay correctly, but i see the NC now.
Crap, forget MSG in my message... will try again.....

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Watching the net checkin and some cool relay going on.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Seen a beans or no beans.

Also see Fred doing a relay. Having to help get kids ready for bed so I will be able to play radio in a hour or so.

Had about 5 or so check ins that left msgs and will look thru the day for other attempts.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Excellent! Just got an ACK from the NC!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Saw that Fred, was pretty cool.  Very new to JS8, only up on it for 2 weeks.  So it was very cool to watch a relay exchange going on.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top