User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep.  I've done about 17 POTA activations so far in 2020 with a QRP radio feeding an EFHW or a tuned vertical over a radial field.  Not as many longer range and DX as with 100-watts, but still hundreds of total contacts.
View Quote

If you ever get a chance would like to see your full POTA / SOTA kit. Maybe make a thread on it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm rebuilding my HF antenna, it's gonna be higher but closer to the house. (Fingers crossed.) The mast is up, I'm gonna try 160M with a bent dipole.
Rob
View Quote

I have a very very bent 160m dipole at 50 feet fed with homebrew ladder line.

It works very well, but the 160m band is noisy, so you kinda need an amp for phone or the 160m gentlemen wont talk to you.

I do have an amp and it helps a lot
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Antenna height and ground conductivity are huge factors in antenna efficiency. I know a guy who lives in Ecuador. He only uses an "inverted L" antenna with a tuner but the antenna is 15 feet from the ocean. He routinely works all kinds of DX stations with just 100 watts. You'd think he is running a beam.
Also, There is a guy in Florida who uses a nice Yagi and a kilowatt. I've grouped up with him to work DX on 40 meters. He receives stations at S9+40 while I only hear them at S8-S9. He also gets much better signal reports. Ground is very conductive in many parts of Florida and he is relatively close to the ocean. We have a lot of clay here in the upstate South Carolina.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need better antennas. I guess the wire antenna I have and the ground vertical I have are not good enough to get out where I live. Saving for a beam antenna.

Antenna height and ground conductivity are huge factors in antenna efficiency. I know a guy who lives in Ecuador. He only uses an "inverted L" antenna with a tuner but the antenna is 15 feet from the ocean. He routinely works all kinds of DX stations with just 100 watts. You'd think he is running a beam.
Also, There is a guy in Florida who uses a nice Yagi and a kilowatt. I've grouped up with him to work DX on 40 meters. He receives stations at S9+40 while I only hear them at S8-S9. He also gets much better signal reports. Ground is very conductive in many parts of Florida and he is relatively close to the ocean. We have a lot of clay here in the upstate South Carolina.

I occasionally go to the local salty beach, stick a 1/4 wave telescoping MFJ vertical for 20m in the wet sand on a stake and talk 20 watts into eastern EU easily. This pic was taken last week when I talked to Slovenia and the Ukraine on 20 watts in less than 10 minutes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing keeping me off HF. Been posting hoping some guys here would pop up. Ten is open. Let's go.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#5]
When I got started I was a 12 year old Novice. My parents were supportive but not into radio. Somehow I got a random wire in the air, and with an antenna tuner and a Ten Tec Century 21 (CW only) got on the air. It took me quite a while to make the first contact - I was terrified to answer or call CQ - thought whoever answered would go too fast, or I would forget the code. Once I got past the first one it was pretty smooth sailing.

I wonder how different it could have been if I had been able to start on SSB or VHF FM and voice instead?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I think you will value the radio art, as it were, more because you had to work at it ( Morse ) than anything else. I had problems dealing with Morse and it took me a long time to go from 5 wpm to passing the extra at 20 wpm. The best thing they did for me was to give us poor techs novice CW privileges which got me back into using CW on the air. I don't begrudge anybody that got their ticket later, they did what was require of them. The struggle made amateur radio more valuable for me though.
Rob

ETA: Enough talk, I have some wire to get into the air!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I got started I was a 12 year old Novice. My parents were supportive but not into radio. Somehow I got a random wire in the air, and with an antenna tuner and a Ten Tec Century 21 (CW only) got on the air. It took me quite a while to make the first contact - I was terrified to answer or call CQ - thought whoever answered would go too fast, or I would forget the code. Once I got past the first one it was pretty smooth sailing.

I wonder how different it could have been if I had been able to start on SSB or VHF FM and voice instead?
View Quote

Man, that's almost exactly my story, except with an EICO 723 CW trans and a Hallicrafters receiver.  In 1961, 12 year old Novice in upstate NY with a random wire and a SPDT knife switch for antenna change over.  I was terrified when I responded to that CQ from another novice in Ohio.  I'll always remember that first contact, we did just the basic QSO data and breathed a sigh of relief.

My Dad later got his license and joined me.  My son now holds my Dad's original Extra class callsign.  I guess it runs in the family.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Man, that's almost exactly my story, except with an EICO 723 CW trans and a Hallicrafters receiver.  In 1961, 12 year old Novice in upstate NY with a random wire and a SPDT knife switch for antenna change over.  I was terrified when I responded to that CQ from another novice in Ohio.  I'll always remember that first contact, we did just the basic QSO data and breathed a sigh of relief.

My Dad later got his license and joined me.  My son now holds my Dad's original Extra class callsign.  I guess it runs in the family.
View Quote
where in CNY?
Back then I was about 2 miles from the WA2QYT 147.00 repeater.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
where in CNY?
Back then I was about 2 miles from the WA2QYT 147.00 repeater.
View Quote

I was born and raised in Columbia County, NY, about 100 miles up the Hudson from NY City.

There were no such things as repeaters in those days.  Techs on 6m and 2m used AM or CW.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Right now, money. Almost all my fun money is going towards putting a new roof on the house.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Shortly after I upgraded to general I bough an Icom IC-718. Talked to a few of the "stans" on 40m within two months with nothing more than 100W and an inverted V. Hated the noise...I hate noise. Playing with the bands it just didn't give me that "fizz". I like digital modes but hated the fact pretty much every setup required two USB cables or even using a small hub, especially when it came to portable offerings. I'm watching the Icom 705 (it's going to be pricier than initially expected) and if I get some surplus stuff I have sold off maybe...I'll buy it. Infrastructure and 100% reliable communications is what makes me happy though...so that's where I tend to stay.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't yet have an antenna up at the new house. As soon as I can at least get my end fed up I'll be back on the air.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you ever get a chance would like to see your full POTA / SOTA kit. Maybe make a thread on it?
View Quote
Sure thing, I'll put something together for a thread on what I use.

In a slight modification of the topic, how about asking "What's keeping you off of 160-meters?"

If you don't have the space for the antenna, try some coil loading to electrically shorten it.  And when one tappable coil can't get your down there, by God just add another coil!  

This was my experiment this weekend, just to see if it would work and how well.  There's a 38-foot wire vertical above the coils, with all 120 turns total, it's resonant at 1.780 MHz, and using the taps I could cover the entirety of top-band with little slices of bandwidth.  I was operating way too early in the afternoon for 160 to be very viable, but got one contact about 50 miles away with 58 reports both ways, so it works to some degree.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#14]
160?

I have a home brew 1/2 wave doublet with home brew 600 ohm ladder line at about 45 feet. It works very well

I also made a 160m coil ( 5 inch diameter ) to go below my Wolf River 80m coil and have made contacts mobile with it while moving but you really need an amp for 160m mobile because the antenna is so inefficient,
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you have your Tech ticket, obviously a higher license class is part of the answer. But pretend you upgraded in your sleep tonight!

Now that we are all generals or beyond, why aren't you on HF (you can pick the mode). No antenna? No power supply? No rig? Something else?
If you are on HF already - what was the thing that most held you back from getting started?
View Quote

For me it's something else- complete lack of interest.  I upgraded to Extra a couple years ago, but still haven't bought any equipment at all.  

I got into radio for practical reasons- to have comms when hiking far out of cell coverage.  I have 2 meter and 70cm radios in two of the three vehicles here (haven't put one in the wife's Liberty).  I've considered getting a 10 meter radio for the military truck, mostly because I have the big military whip antenna already there, but haven't yet.

So right now it's lack of interest.  That may change someday, but right now I have other hobbies and interests competing for time and money.  Yeah yeah, I know; I'm not a 'real' ham because of it.  But then I'm not a 'real' gun enthusiast, hiker, cyclist, biker, backpacker, etc etc., at least according to the "experts" in any of those fields.  I do what I enjoy doing, I don't do to impress any group.  whatevs.  

I do enjoy reading the threads and learning the HF stuff though!  Lots of great info in here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]
This right here. If one of our Elmer types has addressed this, with pics, I’ve still yet to find it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top