User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 172
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Here it is.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy lightning noise in Nebraska, it's a continuous S9+10 here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ohio_Sharkman:
I won't be able to participate this evening. I disconnected my coax from my antenna's 75 ohm matching cable to mow the yard. When I went to reconnect it, the connector broke on the matching cable. I was hoping it would be a simple resolder, but I need a new connector.
View Quote

I didn't think of it in time. My Super Antenna MP1 is here. I leave it and a Yaesu FT-450D in my camper as a portable. I could have set it up. It takes about 20 minutes to set up and tune.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#4]

I didn't think of it in time. My Super Antenna MP1 is here. I leave it and a Yaesu FT-450D in my camper as a portable. I could have set it up. It takes about 20 minutes to set up and tune.
View Quote

Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

Oh well.
View Quote

I'll be back next week, weather permitting. I ordered a new connector for the matching cable from DXE. It should be here by Thursday.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#6]

I'll be back next week, weather permitting. I ordered a new connector for the matching cable from DXE. It should be here by Thursday.
View Quote

You better or I'm gonna be mad at you.

We love and miss you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

We love and miss you.
View Quote

A threat, and the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day in one post! I'm honored.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]

A threat, and the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day in one post! I'm honored.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

We love and miss you.

This morning I made a little girl's day by telling her how cute she was.

Pissed off the mother.

When the mother asked me about my kids ( don't have any) I told her I lost my daughter in a crap game when she was five. "You know, my wife wouldn't talk to me for almost two whole weeks after that!"
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FlatlandBusa:
Holy lightning noise in Nebraska, it's a continuous S9+10 here.
View Quote

I was in all that lightning you were hearing. 1.3" of rain so far. It was pretty sporty for a while, I'm glad I took the antennas down.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Rough copy tonight.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Odd pattern around St. Louis

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Chris that looks more like an artifact of the radar more than a real pattern.  I used to see that on the Furuno radar on the boat.

Sorry I missed the net.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#13]
That's what another member was saying. I've never seen that on radar before. I knew it wasn't a tornado,  but it was bizarre looking.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I heard some faint signals on 7.264 back around 23:12 UTC (which really, the thread title should be changed to UTC time instead of EST) but not strong enough to attempt to make contact.  

It's still dusk here as I post this.  Out west here we probably would need a relay, or to use 20 meters to have a chance at joining the net.  Granted this is only the 3rd time I was actually at my radio at the right time, and conditions today aren't great, but every time, it's always very faint and I can only make out every 5th word or so.

I'll try again another time because you never know when you might get favorable propagation.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Certainly  try again, it would be great to get some of you Western guys. Someone should be able to relay you in or maybe try 17m or 20m at the end of net. Post here on net night if you're wanting to try a different band. Most of you guys are probably not home from work when the net ends.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:08:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#16]
We need a guy with a fancy dual VFO radio to run a cross band relay. I would have to go to someone else’s house to use a Icom 7610, or remote into it I guess.

I think the furthest west we have had a checkin, since I have been around, was that Arizona portable station a couple months back
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:28:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
We need a guy with a fancy dual VFO radio to run a cross band relay. I would have to go to someone else’s house to use a Icom 7610, or remote into it I guess.

I think the furthest west we have had a checkin, since I have been around, was that Arizona portable station a couple months back
View Quote

I have checked in a few times in the upper bands. 40m is regional comms at the time of the net.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry I missed the net guys.  I was playing with my new Xiegu G90 and getting it set up.  I managed to check in to the maritime net on 20 meters
59 both ways from TX to FL with 20 watts.  With just an inverted v up about 25' in a tree.  By the time I had everything set up the way I wanted it, I was too tired to try to set up the Chameleon FLoop 3.0 mag loop antenna I got.  

I totally spaced that it was Tuesday.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#19]
As heard in SE MA:
(I failed to copy down all)
               (when in the clear, which was rare)
Chris, IL     58
Gerard, PA  59+
Dave, OH   58
Owen, GA  59+
Jeff, WI     58
Bruce, TX  not heard
John, NE   59+10
Cory, WI   59+10
Travis, VA  59+
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#20]
As heard in SE MA:
Chris, IL     58
Gerard, PA  59+
Dave, OH   58
Owen, GA  59+
Jeff, WI     58
Bruce, TX  not heard
John, NE   59+10
Cory, WI   59+10
Travis, VA  59+
View Quote

Thanks for the info!  The probable reason you didn't hear me was that I was running an experiment and using a ground mounted CHA Tactical Delta Loop (TDL) portable antenna on 40 meters.  I knew it wasn't going to be very efficient on 40m, but it loaded up and heard fairly well, so I thought I'd try it on transmit.  No joy.  Even Net Control, who usually hears me fairly well, couldn't copy me well.  At the end of the net I re-checked with my normal 72' EFRW and NC could then hear me fine.

Lesson learned:  That ground mounted Delta Loop is not very efficient on 40 meters.

(But I'll try it again tonight on 20m for the digital net.)
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By weaponeer1911:
Thanks for the info!  The probable reason you didn't hear me was that I was running an experiment and using a ground mounted CHA Tactical Delta Loop (TDL) portable antenna on 40 meters.  I knew it wasn't going to be very efficient on 40m, but it loaded up and heard fairly well, so I thought I'd try it on transmit.  No joy.  Even Net Control, who usually hears me fairly well, couldn't copy me well.  At the end of the net I re-checked with my normal 72' EFRW and NC could then hear me fine.

Lesson learned:  That ground mounted Delta Loop is not very efficient on 40 meters.

View Quote

Truth be told, I almost never hear you. Something about our relative positions, my equipment, and the way band propagation works makes it very difficult to pick you up with my wire in the trees.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
As heard in SE MA:
Chris, IL     58
Gerard, PA  59+
Dave, OH   58
Owen, GA  59+
Jeff, WI     58
Bruce, TX  not heard
John, NE   59+10
Cory, WI   59+10
Travis, VA  59+

I could not hear you on the first round, but on the second round you were in the clear. I usually have you a little stronger than NC.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Making one of those cha loops is on my list of stuff to try. Those 5:1 transformers are used in antennas like the comet cha-250B. When you do the math for a delta loop, 1005/ frequency in MHz = feet of wire, you can see there is some sorcery going on to get two 17' whips and a 25' piece of wire to show a low swr on 40m. The 20m delta loop I am making takes 70' of wire and with the 4:1 balun is looking excellent on 20m, but would take a G90 tuner to even try to work on 40.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I've been considering this antenna for a portable option. Was your setup with the antenna into the ground via the ground spike or did you try it elevated on a tripod or something similar? I've seen reports of it working better elevated 3-6 feet off the ground. And most say 40 is iffy, but it works better in the upper bands especially in the current solar cycle.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Fongman:

I've been considering this antenna for a portable option. Was your setup with the antenna into the ground via the ground spike or did you try it elevated on a tripod or something similar? I've seen reports of it working better elevated 3-6 feet off the ground. And most say 40 is iffy, but it works better in the upper bands especially in the current solar cycle.

Thanks.
View Quote

For this net it was ground-mounted on the spike.  I have used it mounted on top of a BuddiPole mast with the feedpoint up at about 10 feet and it seemed to work better on all bands, but that was just sort of a "gut feel".  I don't have any measurements or anything to base a change of performance on, but it worked well on the day that I tried it.  I went back to the ground spike mount because it is the way the antenna would normally be put up in a portable/emergency situation.  Getting the BuddiPole mast set up and guyed sufficiently for the wind load of the loop is sorta a PITA.

I'm generally happy with the CHA TDL above 40m.  I used it last night on the 20m digital net and it worked pretty well.  I can also easily switch it over to the MPAS 2.0 portable vertical configuration, which also works well.  The Chameleon stuff is pricey, but it is built VERY well and I have been happy with all the configs I have tried with it, including the end fed wires.

I agree that it is not as efficient on 40 and 80 meters, but works better on the higher freqs.  It does work pretty well regionally on 40m for my winlink connections using more of an NVIS mode.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Great info thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#27]
SB 7.213 seems clear and nothing was heard when I asked.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

QSO going on 7.213 at my QTH
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Somebody having a QSO there. Someone named Conrad was going off to dinner and a guy mentioning Nancy. Blah, blah. 59 here. Is this us?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Not us. 7213 and 7285 are being used.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Somebody having a QSO there. Someone named Conrad was going off to dinner and a guy mentioning Nancy. Blah, blah. 59 here. Is this us?
View Quote

Nope. Not us.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm  on 7.282.50.

I split the difference between the the QSOs on 7280 and 7285
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#34]
We can do either spot
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#35]
on 7282.5
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#36]
on 7282.5
View Quote

I'm  calling out, but i don't think you are hearing me
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I am for the net tonight
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By GreenDragon:

I'm  calling out, but i don't think you are hearing me
View Quote

I hear a hint of a whisper in the s6 mud
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#39]
On freq. Might be too early in Texas. I can hear a couple of you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#40]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:
I am for the net tonight
View Quote

go to 7282.5 on your radio dial.

ETA Home of the top 40 hits.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Tough copy on net control tonight. Missing a lot of words.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#42]
Tough copy on net control tonight. Missing a lot of words.
View Quote

Yeah same here. QSB swings
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#43]
same here, but hearing nebraska great from TN
(indiana good, no copy on texas, but N.TX is just above the noise)

someone's not on the .5
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:10:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#44]
Originally Posted By taliv:
same here, but hearing nebraska great
View Quote

QRO gets it done!

20db over S9 into VA.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got some coax issues I need to troubleshoot.  Tuner would tune up, but every time I transmit, id get a couple words in and then swr flipps out.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Redneck_in_Texas:
I've got some coax issues I need to troubleshoot.  Tuner would tune up, but every time I transmit, id get a couple words in and then swr flipps out.  

View Quote

yea I would look into that I learned the hard way on 10m when I first got my amp.

Attachment Attached File

Heard a pop with a arc and some smoke and the power dropped off. Cheap coax melted down causing an open circuit and this was what was left of the band switch for 10m. Also lost a bunch of power on 80m as well. Fixed and back to normal now with really old tubes that are probably not super strong to begin with. But I do not run it hard, keep the drive about 70 watts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Redneck_in_Texas:

View Quote

Is that with a G90? If so, what is your antenna?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#48]
@flatlandbusa

Everything ok in central NE?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
@flatlandbusa

Everything ok in central NE?
View Quote

Yes, here is ok.  East and North has tornadoes right now.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Looking at the lightning map explains why I have S7-9 lightning crashes. Depending on how fast the stuff in IA is moving, it might get here and ruin my radio night.
Page / 172
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top