User Panel

Site Notices
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 13 of 25)
Page / 25
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:00:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Conspiro-Agnew:

No, they cannot. You will have to get a Harris/Thales charger, or if you want the type that connects to the top of the battery (similar to the TRI), you can get a Bren-Tronics charger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Apec:
Does anyone know if the real deal Harris batteries can be charged with the OEM TRI charger? Thanks.

No, they cannot. You will have to get a Harris/Thales charger, or if you want the type that connects to the top of the battery (similar to the TRI), you can get a Bren-Tronics charger.

Wrong.

I have the real Harris batteries and they charge properly with the TRI battery charger. (Attaches to the top of the battery)
(I don’t think they will charge with the TCA charger, though..) I don’t know though, I only have Harris and TRI batteries with a TRI charger..
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Now someone needs to make a civi knockoff of the Thales Spear. Same fearures as the JEM (JTRS Enhanced MBITR) but fits in a single M4/AR15 mag pouch.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Toad_77:
Now someone needs to make a civi knockoff of the Thales Spear. Same fearures as the JEM (JTRS Enhanced MBITR) but fits in a single M4/AR15 mag pouch.
View Quote

Or you know. You could buy a yeasu or icom rig, and its even smaller/lighter and nore useful than some chinese tri/tca knockoff.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 1:21:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:

Wrong.

I have the real Harris batteries and they charge properly with the TRI battery charger. (Attaches to the top of the battery)
(I don’t think they will charge with the TCA charger, though..) I don’t know though, I only have Harris and TRI batteries with a TRI charger..
View All Quotes
Does anyone know if the real deal Harris batteries can be charged with the OEM TRI charger? Thanks.

Wrong.

Interesting. I have both, and the TRI doesn’t charge my real Harris batteries.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 1:29:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#5]
View Quote

Looks like they are returning to the MSHR format.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mancow:

View All Quotes

Hopefully with better success this time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Which one of these will do AM air and receive?  Some of the eBay listings are somewhat vague

Thanks,

KA
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:20:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#8]
Originally Posted By kingairpilot:
Which one of these will do AM air and receive?  Some of the eBay listings are somewhat vague

Thanks,

KA
View Quote

I made my recommendation at the bottom of the previous page.
I can receive FM, but I haven't even tried AM radio stations
Here is an image from the manual for the radio that I purchased. (not for the radio that I reccommended, given that I didn't purchase that unit).
I DO REALLY LIKE THE UNIT THAT I PURCHASED..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:41:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#9]

I made my recommendation at the bottom of the previous page.
I can receive FM, but I haven't even tried AM radio stations
Here is an image from the manual for the radio that I purchased. (not for the radio that I reccommended, given that I didn't purchase that unit).
I DO REALLY LIKE THE UNIT THAT I PURCHASED..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17268/D380CC52-CCCF-44A9-95BB-62B9B22269F5_jpe-1462470.JPG
View Quote

That's cool that it can recieve airband.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Yeah they were small and neat, but just so much more limited than the MBITR. I mean really a P25 will do the same thing for most hams and costs like 25 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Does that really do 25-30?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:11:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#12]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

View Quote

I just posted the specs. I didn't vouch for them.

in case you were concerned.. we get it, you think they're stupid/worthless/waste of money..
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 12:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#13]

View Quote

Word is sometime last year they disabled the airband receive.  The unit I have (purchased last summer, 10-watt metal body version) does not receive it, but it tunes to that area of the band.  Never breaks squelch, even when I know there are strong signals because my Icom mobile in the truck receives airband.

Does that really do 25-30?
View Quote

Most likely no.  Back around two or three years ago TRI did a very limited production run of them that would do 10-meter FM, but they were very rare.  Haven't been made that way since, but their literatur and many websites selling them still claim it has it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Wrong.

I have the same TRI charger and indeed it charges my real Harris batteries quite well
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By D_Man:

Word is sometime last year they disabled the airband receive.  The unit I have (purchased last summer, 10-watt metal body version) does not receive it, but it tunes to that area of the band.  Never breaks squelch, even when I know there are strong signals because my Icom mobile in the truck receives airband.
it.
View Quote

Interesting.  I’ve not used a real 152 but I have used a 146.  On the the MBITR, you need to toggle between FM (normal) and AM when entering the frequency if you want to hit the air bands.  You can tune aviation freqs in either FM or AM but the radio won’t work obviously unless you are in the proper modulation.

Ka
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:35:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#16]
Originally Posted By kingairpilot:

Interesting.  I've not used a real 152 but I have used a 146.  On the the MBITR, you need to toggle between FM (normal) and AM when entering the frequency if you want to hit the air bands.  You can tune aviation freqs in either FM or AM but the radio won't work obviously unless you are in the proper modulation.

Ka
View Quote
That makes sense for the real ones, they are capable of multi-modes on all the bands they can use.

But on these TRI radios, they automatically put themselves into AM receive when you go down below about 136 MHz, as evidenced by the appearance of "AM" on the display when in that band area and the disabling of transit capability.  There is no way to toggle between modes, as they were designed to only have AM receive in the airband and only have FM TX/RX on the usual Chinese radio VHF/UHF band split.  

What I heard from one of the importers was that some country wouldn't allow them to be imported and sold if they could receive airband, so the manufacturer just decided to disable the function in all new production radios.  I'm sure it's a software edit and could be re-enabled, but that will require someone finally figuring out how to hack into their firmware.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AJ-0311:

I have the same TRI charger and indeed it charges my real Harris batteries quite well
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AJ-0311:

Wrong.

I wonder my issue is then. Mine didn’t, so I ended up buying a Bren-Tronics 152 battery charger to charge them. That sucks, the additional charger was an extra hundred or so bucks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#18]
That does suck, maybe it’s an old gen charger...?
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#19]

I just posted the specs. I didn't vouch for them.

in case you were concerned.. we get it, you think they're stupid/worthless/waste of money..
View Quote

mmmm

hey there @tapered-pin

Does your radio transmit on 25-30Mhz?

Your specs say it does 'mode H'. If so, that's the only one I've ever known in the hands of someone...
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By high_order1:

mmmm

hey there @tapered-pin

Does your radio transmit on 25-30Mhz?

Your specs say it does 'mode H'. If so, that's the only one I've ever known in the hands of someone...
View Quote

THIS one will do HF, if that’s the rig you’re looking for.. I don’t need HF in a man-pack...
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Did TCA ever announce they were actually going to release the GPS module?
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#22]

THIS one will do HF, if that’s the rig you’re looking for.. I don’t need HF in a man-pack...
View Quote

Everyone needs at least one of those.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#23]

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/921/ftNi8v.jpg
View Quote

I can talk to you, for free here..
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/921/ftNi8v.jpg

Until some SJW decides you can't.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine came in today. This thing feels like a tank

So... any good guides for setting these up and general use? I can't remember if we have a good frequency list too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Until some SJW decides you can't.
View Quote

Yup... I dont need "the network"
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

So... any good guides for setting these up and general use? I can't remember if we have a good frequency list too.
View Quote

I've just spent some time messing around with it and have programmed several MURS/GMRS/FRS frequencies with relative ease

one nice feature of the menu system is that it doesn't reset back to the first option every time you program a frequency, it stays on the program menu, making it easy to program the next frequency.

I think I'm going to pick up a couple THALES mics for mine so I dont have to keep going in and toggling between internal/external speaker when I pull it off my headset rig.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 12:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#28]

I've just spent some time messing around with it and have programmed several MURS/GMRS/FRS frequencies with relative ease

one nice feature of the menu system is that it doesn't reset back to the first option every time you program a frequency, it stays on the program menu, making it easy to program the next frequency.

I think I'm going to pick up a couple THALES mics for mine so I dont have to keep going in and toggling between internal/external speaker when I pull it off my headset rig.
View All Quotes

Which headset are you using? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue but mine switches automatically when I plug it into my Peltors.

I've been a HAM for almost 20 years but I've only used it for RC stuff, so I have a lot to learn
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:32:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#29]

Which headset are you using? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue but mine switches automatically when I plug it into my Peltors.

I've been a HAM for almost 20 years but I've only used it for RC stuff, so I have a lot to learn
View Quote

I have Sordins.  if I disconnect the PTT from the radio, I hear nothing out of the radio until I go into the menu system and choose: Speaker: (INTERNAL)(external), if I'm at Speaker: (internal)(EXTERNAL) then only the PTT works.
mine doesn't automatically detect whether an internal or external speaker is attached.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#30]

I have Sordins.  if I disconnect the PTT from the radio, I hear nothing out of the radio until I go into the menu system and choose: Speaker: (INTERNAL)(external), if I'm at Speaker: (internal)(EXTERNAL) then only the PTT works.
mine doesn't automatically detect whether an internal or external speaker is attached.
View All Quotes

Ah, gotcha
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Mine spells it SPEACKER which as far as I've noticed is the only typo in the firmware.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#32]

THIS one will do HF, if that's the rig you're looking for.. I don't need HF in a man-pack...
View Quote

I was more asking for historical purposes. If that is the specs for your TRI portable, it is one of the legendary 'mode H' radios that no one has ever made a video of actually working on 25-30. I had hopes maybe yours actually worked.

I have a PRC-77 with a vehicle mount, plus a few other things mobile. Nothing in the portable stable though...
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#33]

I was more asking for historical purposes. If that is the specs for your TRI portable, it is one of the legendary 'mode H' radios that no one has ever made a video of actually working on 25-30.
View Quote

It's not, they just never changed the instructions or the label on the box.  The one I have is the same way.

The only time I've seen someone claim they had a working 3-band version was the FB group, where the big US importer guy swears they were real, and one guy in Europe who claimed to have one.  The lack of proof out there make me believe that if they did in fact exist, I bet they never imported any to the US.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By D_Man:

It's not, they just never changed the instructions or the label on the box.  The one I have is the same way.

The only time I've seen someone claim they had a working 3-band version was the FB group, where the big US importer guy swears they were real, and one guy in Europe who claimed to have one.  The lack of proof out there make me believe that if they did in fact exist, I bet they never imported any to the US.
View Quote

yes, this.  when I questioned the seller, he said it's the instruction manual for "both models"..

regardless, I really do like the setup of the unit and I like it's functionality so far..
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Guy just posted two of the tri band variants for sale in the FB group
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I saw that.

He got immediately called out on it, too

Lol
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:54:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#37]
I saw that.

Lol
View Quote

He was called out, but they were verified as actually being H models.  I had him send me video of it transmitting on 25.00000
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

He was called out, but they were verified as actually being H models.  I had him send me video of it transmitting on 25.00000
View All Quotes
I saw that.

Lol

Dammit, the whipsaw of interest, then dissapointment... followed by renewed interest is killing me....
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Seems like it would have been simple for him to post up that video.

Also

Post up that video! I'd love to see it working! Did you buy them both? What would shipping to usa look like?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#40]
https://emperionstore.com/prc-117-tri.html

Some more images of the vaporware.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:35:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#41]

Seems like it would have been simple for him to post up that video.

Also

Post up that video! I'd love to see it working! Did you buy them both? What would shipping to usa look like?
View Quote

He’s foreign so I guess a language barrier.  He knows what he has.

I didn’t buy.  Have something better coming in a few weeks.

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Mind. Blown.  

Well.... If you have about $500.00 plus shipping, plus maybe it gets through customs.... there it is.

Now I really want one. Guess I'll be saving potatoes for a while lol.

Thanks for posting that!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#43]

That's not vaporware. It was a super limited production run. Go on the steel soldiers page, some wound up in the hands of milveh restorers, and the bulk went to foreign airsofters with HUGE bank for kit.

A guy that claims to be a manager for an airsoft product company states they are making them now, and allegedly released a fakebox version, basically selling the radio shell I suppose to make enough capital to stuff them. Same guy that has been teasing a 152, that if it acts and is built how he is saying it will be, will be a serious contender, with probably a harris replica price tag as well. LOL
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Mind. Blown.  

Well.... If you have about $500.00 plus shipping, plus maybe it gets through customs.... there it is.

View Quote

No problem.  He still has it if any of you are wanting.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Mind. Blown.  

I’d want one with HF for 285-300ish, but sadly $500 is a bit steep for me.  I don’t have bookface though, so I haven’t even seen it.  Just going by y’alls posts.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyG] [#46]
Slightly OT:

If you have legitimate PRC-148 or -152 batteries, you may want to check out this ebay sale for a Bren-Tronics BTP-70810-USB1 148/152 USB Charger & Battery Status Meter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233551755037

I just got two, and they were delivered new in box.

On my Harris -152 batteries, it shows 4 green LEDS with the press-to-test button depressed, and it provides enough amperage to charge my iPad.

On the TRI battery, the battery meter doesn't know what to do, cycling between the 1st and 4th LEDs when pressed, but it still provides charging to my iPad.

It appears that BrenTronics also has a Power supply available that, when connected to this meter, can be used to stand-alone charge a -152 battery. (ref: https://www.bren-tronics.com/btc-70810-1.html)

Not bad for $29.99 each, with free shipping!
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By GunnyG:
Slightly OT:

If you have legitimate PRC-148 or -152 batteries, you may want to check out this ebay sale for a Bren-Tronics BTP-70810-USB1 148/152 USB Charger & Battery Status Meter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233551755037

I just got two, and they were delivered new in box.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12179/68A2B8CF-291C-4B84-8072-C94B943C0637-1487285.jpg
On my Harris -152 batteries, it shows 4 green LEDS with the press-to-test button depressed, and it provides enough amperage to charge my iPad.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12179/43A23493-54EC-4D3E-9686-60C08F98A30D-1487284.jpg

On the TRI battery, the battery meter doesn't know what to do, cycling between the 1st and 4th LEDs when pressed, but it still provides charging to my iPad.

It appears that BrenTronics also has a Power supply available that, when connected to this meter, can be used to stand-alone charge a -152 battery. (ref: https://www.bren-tronics.com/btc-70810-1.html)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12179/1E2F1AED-52BC-4CB3-8F81-1216C2A7B592-1487288.jpg
Not bad for $29.99 each, with free shipping!
View Quote

I have one. They are awesome. Also I just picked up new 6.8 mbitr battery off ebay for cheap but sadly they are all gone now. The 6.8 batteries are beasts.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Where can I buy 2 of these radios?
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Is there a link to the 10W TRI AN PRC 152 MBITR radios someone could share?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By jharpphoto:
Is there a link to the 10W TRI AN PRC 152 MBITR radios someone could share?
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/TRI-AN-PRC-152/22-694849/?page=12#i11945359
Page / 25
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 13 of 25)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top