Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Now seeing 444, DirtNasty, and a couple of random call signs, plus what I had earlier. However, nobody is responding to my pings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now seeing 444, DirtNasty, and a couple of random call signs, plus what I had earlier. However, nobody is responding to my pings.
View Quote
I had to shutdown for storms, but hadn't seen anything but your beacon before I did.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
This sounds a lot like Packet....lol. I have not tried it yet though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Version .5 released; notes here:  
https://groups.io/g/ft8call/topic/ft8call_0_5_released_new/25154011?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,25154011

Highlights that got my attention:

• New suggested frequencies

• Grid reporting to APRS.fi

Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Things were quite busy on the "standard" (not arfcom) 20M sub-band this morning. Copying and responding to LOTS of stations. Still pretty busy this afternoon but things have slacked off as people finished trying out the new version. It will be interesting to see if popularity holds up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I switched to my end fed antenna for the day; it will be interesting to see how it compares.  I'm prepping to take down my R8, so this will be a good test to see how life will be for a few weeks as we move.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for later reading.  Got burnt out on the 20 minute QSOs on psk31 full of weather reports and extremely detailed rig/PC macros.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
 Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tag for later reading.  Got burnt out on the 20 minute QSOs on psk31 full of weather reports and extremely detailed rig/PC macros.
View Quote
LOL I know what you mean.  I love PSK and used to be big into it, but tried to make a few contacts during the TN QSO Party yesterday and trying to break folks from their macros was like pulling teeth.

"UR 599 TN"

"Name: Bob Bob Bob
Radio: Icom IC-7300 (this is the new software defined radio produced by Icom.  I also collect old Heathkit radios.  I still have the first Heathkit AT-1 I bought when I got out of the Navy in 1955.  I had just married my first wife, Susan.  Her brother was named Steve.  Or Fred.  Anyways, she had a brother.  Big fella)
WX: Sunny, 87*, winds from the southwest at 2 miles per hour gusting to 5 miles per hour
Current operator ailments: Gout, pelvic rash, and irritable bowel syndrome
QTH: Geezerville, Florida (23.75 miles northeast of the Kountry Kitchen Buffet)
Software: Fldigi 8.3.2.6.5.1a
Computer: Dell Shitbox running Windows 3.1.1
Clubs: PODXS-070 Member 12345, 10-10 International Member 5677, Geezerville, Florida Amateur Radio Club (GFARC)
Occupation: Retired since 1972.  I used to install asbestos in elementary schools in the greater New York City, New York area for Acme Asbestos Company, Incorporated of the Greater New York City, New York area from 1966 to 1972

How cpy?"

"TU 73"

"Thank you for this QSO on BPSK-31 at 22:39 Zulu Time on September 2, 2018 frequency 14.070.321 MHz Upper Side Band.  You are QSO number 1234 on BPSK-31.  Logged at at 22:39 Zulu Time on September 2, 2018.  QSL via LOTW, EQSL, QRZ.com, paper cards, and carrier pigeon.  73 and good DX in 2018.  Waiting on your final"
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Wait... people still use PSK?

Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Im on now goofing around but only copied one station about an hour ago.  I'm at 14.078 +1000.  KD#***
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#12]
One station an hour ago? I've been running all morning, and I'm putting callsigns on the heard list at a rate of about 1 per minute.

Are you beaconing? I see no stations at +1000.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One station an hour ago? I've been running all morning, and I'm putting callsigns on the heard list at a rate of about 1 per minute.

Are you beaconing? I see no stations at +1000.
View Quote
Not beaconing, just sent out a few CQ's.  I'll beacon now and call CQ a few times.

I think my setup is working because I can slide down to 14.074 and FT8 is going nuts.  WSJT-X decodes it all fine.  I go back to .078 and it's dead.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#14]
My station is on the guard freq.  14.0675

K****V

Feel free to experiment with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I pinged it a little earlier a few times.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

K****V

View Quote
Awesome, thanks. Prob will tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LOL I know what you mean.  I love PSK and used to be big into it, but tried to make a few contacts during the TN QSO Party yesterday and trying to break folks from their macros was like pulling teeth.

"UR 599 TN"

"Name: Bob Bob Bob
Radio: Icom IC-7300 (this is the new software defined radio produced by Icom.  I also collect old Heathkit radios.  I still have the first Heathkit AT-1 I bought when I got out of the Navy in 1955.  I had just married my first wife, Susan.  Her brother was named Steve.  Or Fred.  Anyways, she had a brother.  Big fella)
WX: Sunny, 87*, winds from the southwest at 2 miles per hour gusting to 5 miles per hour
Current operator ailments: Gout, pelvic rash, and irritable bowel syndrome
QTH: Geezerville, Florida (23.75 miles northeast of the Kountry Kitchen Buffet)
Software: Fldigi 8.3.2.6.5.1a
Computer: Dell Shitbox running Windows 3.1.1
Clubs: PODXS-070 Member 12345, 10-10 International Member 5677, Geezerville, Florida Amateur Radio Club (GFARC)
Occupation: Retired since 1972.  I used to install asbestos in elementary schools in the greater New York City, New York area for Acme Asbestos Company, Incorporated of the Greater New York City, New York area from 1966 to 1972

How cpy?"

"TU 73"

"Thank you for this QSO on BPSK-31 at 22:39 Zulu Time on September 2, 2018 frequency 14.070.321 MHz Upper Side Band.  You are QSO number 1234 on BPSK-31.  Logged at at 22:39 Zulu Time on September 2, 2018.  QSL via LOTW, EQSL, QRZ.com, paper cards, and carrier pigeon.  73 and good DX in 2018.  Waiting on your final"
View Quote
Hahaha.  I ran PSK31 other day and made one QSO and getting the guy to talk was fucking near impossible.  Probably some of same people bashing FT8 are macro whores.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

K****V

View Quote
Ditto today.  K***I in NV.  It's set to auto.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, so I updated to the latest version. However, I'm back to only putting out about 5W. There was a setting in the previous version about power output that you could select from a drop down menu. Where did that go?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OK, so I updated to the latest version. However, I'm back to only putting out about 5W. There was a setting in the previous version about power output that you could select from a drop down menu. Where did that go?
View Quote
The developer did away with the power setting message, citing lack of use by the early adopters.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The developer did away with the power setting message, citing lack of use by the early adopters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that sux. I guess I'll have to try to modulate the power output by turning up the transmit dial on the Signalink. I've already got the sound output to the USB line out for the Signalink at max under Windoze. It was nice to leave the transmit dial set at one spot and dial up the output in FT8Call. Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#22]
You are completely misunderstanding that old setting. It was so that you could tell the software how much you were using and then it could report that in response to an incoming message. The same as putting in your grid location. It did not actually set the radio to that power level.

The author felt it was a wasted and unpopular message and now recommends you put your station power level in the station message for people to read.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You are completely misunderstanding that old setting. It was so that you could tell the software how much you were using and then it could report that in response to an incoming message. The same as putting in your grid location. It did not actually set the radio to that power level.

The author felt it was a wasted and unpopular message and now recommends you put your station power level in the station message for people to read.
View Quote
Seems odd that after changing it from the default, the output power on the radio went up considerably. I figured it was adjusting the volume on the output that it was generating. Perhaps it was just a coincidence?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#24]
FTA8CALL is interesting this weekend.  Seems like half the stations on the air are using the "old" version that expires on Monday, and the other half are using the "new" version that was released on Friday.  The two aren't compatible
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FTA8CALL is interesting this weekend.  Seems like half the stations on the air are using the "old" version that expires on Monday, and the other half are using the "new" version that was released on Friday.  The two aren't compatible
View Quote
I'm seeing that too.  I'm running the old version on 14.0675 (...just in case someone in the storm needs to use it - I doubt they saw the upgrade ), and I'm testing the new version on the RPi / radio in my truck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#26]
My station is up on old version, will leave running for a while until I can determine what the weather is doing!
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My station is up on old version, will leave running for a while until I can determine what the weather is doing!
View Quote
Ditto...  I see your beacons; are you on "Auto" also?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Next version will have automatic time syncing to other signals or WWV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#29]
OK, I think I'm beaconing every 15 min on the 20m Arfcom guard freq 14.067.5.  When I did an "ALLCALL?", it TX'd right where I had the cursor set to, +1700.  But when I beaconed, it switched to +750.  WTFO?  

ETA:  using v0.6.4-devel
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OK, I think I'm beaconing every 15 min on the 20m Arfcom guard freq 14.067.5.  When I did an "ALLCALL?", it TX'd right where I had the cursor set to, +1700.  But when I beaconed, it switched to +750.  WTFO?  

ETA:  using v0.6.4-devel
View Quote
That's correct behavior. 0-500 are reserved and cannot be used (unless you diddle the dial). This is stupid IMHO, this has to do with the author trying to keep people out of the regular FT8 sub-bands. He has forced all beacons to go between 500 and 1000 to prevent QRM on QSOs. This is not an entirely bad thing. However you can also use 500-1000 for normal traffic if you wish. Not sure how freq's are assigned/calculated for beacons. Finally, you do not have to be on the same freq. as the other station. You can be anywhere in the passband and communicate just fine. This lets you have multiple simultaneous responses in the same time period, i.e. frequency division multiplexing. In fact it is best if everyone sits on their own discrete freq. in the passband. This is the optimum case and results in the least amount of missed transmissions because you will decode everything directed at you.

The other thing I hate is how the band monitoring window (top left) works. It's a pain to copy all traffic on the band because it puts every audio freq. on a separate row. You can double click a row and it will be expanded into your main receive window, though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#31]
LOL, thanks aa777888-2!  You got my FT8CALL cherry.  

ETA:  Saw UR follow up message.  Had to 73 early to finish cutting grass before rain gets here!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#32]
By the way, email via APRS-IS and SMS via APRS SMSGATE is working beautifully. Right now you have to form raw messages as follows:

APRS::EMAIL-2  :[email protected] message goes here{10}
APRS::SMSGATE   :@xxxyyyzzzz message goes here{22}

Send them to ALLCALL. Then everyone who is spotting properly (has obtained an APRS passcode HERE and entered into the proper place in FT8Call setup) will forward your messages into the APRS-IS and SMSGATE system.

Again, these are "raw" packets and there MUST BE 9 CHARACTERS after the :: and before the :, so be sure to pad "EMAIL-2" with two spaces, and pad "SMSGATE" with three spaces.

The two digit sequence number in brackets doesn't matter, but it must be different for each transmission so that the system does not process a single message multiple times.

Studying the APRS-IS and APRS SMSGATE websites, I was able to set up aliases/shortcuts so that I don't have to send actual emails or phone numbers over the air repeatedly.

When and if the author adds iGate-like functionality to FT8Call it should be possible to receive email and SMS also. Sadly it is outgoing only for right now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LOL, thanks aa777888-2!  You got my FT8CALL cherry.  

ETA:  Saw UR follow up message.  Had to 73 early to finish cutting grass before rain gets here!
View Quote
Ha ha! Sometimes you are in the wrong place at the right time!
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#34]
finally back on 20m ARFCall in Auto and Beaconing for now
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm also parked on the 20 meter guard frequency with FT8Call running on auto.  Feel free to relay through my station as needed; I won't be by the keyboard.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
finally back on 20m ARFCall in Auto and Beaconing for now
View Quote
are you on the guard freq?  Just sent an ALLCALL? and got someone in NV.  Maybe you're in my skip zone.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm also parked on the 20 meter guard frequency with FT8Call running on auto.  Feel free to relay through my station as needed; I won't be by the keyboard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I guess that was you then lol

edit, I'm trying to relay to SCWolverine through your station but I'm not sure I'm getting it right.  I did get an ACK from you 10 mins after I sent the relay.  Are the relays not automatic?

my syntax:  ricklaut>SCWolverine@

wait a sec, maybe I did goof up.  Should it be ricklaut>SCWolverine SCWolverine@

edit 2 : why after my relay text is the program appending 3 random characters (in bold red below)?  The last three attempts looked like:
edit 3 : answered in the google doc
What are the random three (or six) characters at the end of relay and acked message commands?
These are a checksum for the message added to ensure all of the message frames were delivered correctly before retransmitting / alerting. If received in its entirety by the receiving station, these checksums will not be displayed to them.
15:49:24 - (1200) - LT_Beaker: ricklaut> SCWolverine@ 4OE

15:58:59 - (1280) - ricklaut: LT_Beaker> ACK

16:09:05 - (1200) - LT_Beaker: ricklaut> ACK V5N

16:14:17 - (1200) - LT_Beaker: ricklaut> SCWolverine SCWolverine@ TT/  
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
weak signal =/= low power
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

250W?  I had thought this was a fairly low power mode?
weak signal =/= low power
True but the whole maxim of use the least amount of power needed still applies
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

are you on the guard freq?  Just sent an ALLCALL? and got someone in NV.  Maybe you're in my skip zone.
View Quote
You got me .  Hope the relay to SCWolverine worked.

Headed out now...
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Headed out now...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Headed out now...
i'm gonna keep hitting your station until i get it to work lol
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#41]
@SCWolverine receiving you +09. @ricklaut receiving you -11. Got good automated signal reports back from both of your stations. Left messages with both of you. I'm also now gone from the shack for a while.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I guess that was you then lol

edit, I'm trying to relay to SCWolverine through your station but I'm not sure I'm getting it right.  I did get an ACK from you 10 mins after I sent the relay.  Are the relays not automatic?

my syntax:  ricklaut>SCWolverine@

wait a sec, maybe I did goof up.  Should it be ricklaut>SCWolverine SCWolverine@

edit 2 : why after my relay text is the program appending 3 random characters (in bold red below)?  The last three attempts looked like:
edit 3 : answered in the google doc
15:49:24 - (1200) - LT_Beaker: ricklaut> SCWolverine@ 4OE

15:58:59 - (1280) - ricklaut: LT_Beaker> ACK  
The ACK was not automatic.  I saw the button on the screen just before leaving for work.  
16:09:05 - (1200) - LT_Beaker: ricklaut> ACK V5N

16:14:17 - (1200) - LT_Beaker: ricklaut> SCWolverine SCWolverine@ TT/  
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@SCWolverine receiving you +09. @ricklaut receiving you -11. Got good automated signal reports back from both of your stations. Left messages with both of you. I'm also now gone from the shack for a while.
View Quote
Got your message and ACK'd it when I got home from work!
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Came back from a flight and dinner and saw everyone's ACK's on the screen, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#45]
change the post title Op!

I want to thank y'all for the support, your suggestions, and giving FT8Call a chance over the past few months. It's been a fun ride so far and I can't wait to share what I've been cooking up y'all. In anticipation of the upcoming 0.7 release, I wanted to make a quick announcement about the future of "FT8Call".

From 0.7 and onward, FT8Call will be called JS8Call and the FT8CALL mode will become JS8 (Jordan Sherer-designed 8-FSK). (email me if you want the backstory)

I'll be working with the ADIF group to get JS8 added as a mode so logging programs can be updated. With this change, this group name will also be changing to be named JS8Call.  All of this should happen transparently, so the only thing you might need to update a few bookmarks. Otherwise, everything should carry on without issue.

Again, I want to thank y'all for the help and I look forward to sharing 0.7 with you soon!

Cheers!

Best,
Jordan / KN4CRD
View Quote
I suggested JSQ (just simple qso) but like the JS8
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
Big changes in this release!
* The application name has changed to JS8Call. This means that you'll have to set up your config again. Or, you can copy your old FT8Call.ini file to JS8Call.ini.
* Message compression can reach new speeds...up to 20wpm for some sentences. Average is going to hover between 12 & 16 wpm. But, it all depends on the messages you send. There's an indicator in the status bar that displays your current wpm.
* BEACON now has an automatic BEACON ACK. This is replacing ALLCALL?. Instead of asking all for signal report, just beacon and every station who has BEACON enabled and can hear you will respond automatically.
* Stations who can hear you now have a special indicator in the heard list to make it easier to connect with them on a busy band. (You can also sort by this.)
* There's a new SELCAL mode where only directed messages to you are printed at your station. While in SELCAL mode, your station will ignore ALLCALLs and BEACONS.
* Manual time sync (accessible in the window menu). Now you can synchronize and drift your time manually in the program without an automatic external time reference. This is used as a back up in the instances where GPS or NTP is not available.
* Macros are renamed to Saved Messages. You can now save a message you've typed into the TX textbox without having to go into your settings.
* The TX watchdog is renamed to idle watchdog to be more clear with it's intent (and a few bugs with it fixed). If turned on, it'll prevent transmissions when you've been idle for more than N minutes. Useful if you don't want your station transmitting after you step away.
* And tons of bug fixes!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't like the idle watchdog thing
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't like the idle watchdog thing
View Quote
Me either I tested it once then never turned it back on, all the way back to the second revision
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top