Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 4:51:15 PM EDT
Anyone else going to do it this weekend? It will be my first time, not sure what to expect.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Rules here: http://www.nittany-arc.net/pqppdf/paqso17rules.pdf

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's a good site to find out the what and when for the contests: http://www.contestcalendar.com//index.html

Most QPs are pretty relaxed, at least on CW. They are a good way to pick up needed SPCs. The 7 call area QP includes several relatively hard to find states.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll try to participate - from the non PA side of course.  Depends on if my networks and users stay quiet.

I made lots of QSOs in the CQP this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone else going to do it this weekend? It will be my first time, not sure what to expect.
View Quote

I belong to the club sponsoring it.  It will be the first chance I've had to help out with a contest, so yep I'll be there.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Spent a few hours listening to the bands this afternoon and could not hear anything on ten meter. I did hear a couple of strong stations on 20 meters but I just have a tech lic so called a friend and he made two contacts with a Grv and a hundred watts.

Going to listen tonight and tomorrow,

One of the stations was from Bradford County.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I worked someone on PSK31 a little while ago who was in the contest...I'm not doing it but maybe I'll get the last few states I need for my WAS. 
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Got a little over 27k points as a single/single

I'll do better next year now that I know a bit more about it. Need better contesting software, and to do more sections, I was only looking for PA counties.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Next Saturday and Sunday 21-22 their is three state QSO party's.

Illinois

New York

South Dakota

So play some radio and have some fun. Hope they use Ten Meter too. A couple of weeks ago got a bunch of contacts with the operators in CA on Ten. All I got is a 30 year old 440s and a wire in the crawl space above the garage.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Next Saturday and Sunday is the JOTA too, guess bands will be busy on 40/80, I'll stick with 20, and the other bands I guess.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Next Saturday and Sunday is the JOTA too, guess bands will be busy on 40/80, I'll stick with 20, and the other bands I guess.
View Quote
You could come into the fray with the rest of us.  All of us out-of-state contestants that focused on reaching the PA (and AZ) stations this past weekend helped drive up the QSO points and the fun/chaos.  I'll be working the IL QSO Party this weekend as a rover.  Ours is short, only 8 hours, beginning at 17:00Z.  Hope to hear you on the air!
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I heard a lot of people over the weekend involved in this contest. I did not participate because I did not understand what the exchange was?  Something about serial numbers?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The exchange is just your number count of contacts in the pa contest, and your arrl section. If you have worked 10 contacts that are in the PA party, then you give the next person an 11, if you work a non contest person, then you don't count them on your"contest log".

I'd love to get into the other parties, but I'm helping at the local scouting event doing the ham stuff. I'll be trying to make DX contacts with the scouts to other scouts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I heard a lot of people over the weekend involved in this contest. I did not participate because I did not understand what the exchange was?  Something about serial numbers?
View Quote
You can always look here for the current and upcoming contests.  

HF Contest Calendar

Most are fairly simple, but some do request a serial number, a sequential number of the stations you've contacted for the event in your log, 1,2,3,4,etc...

The upcoming IL QSO Party only asks for a signal report and your State.  So, for example, you'd give "5/9 Oregon".
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can always look here for the current and upcoming contests.  

HF Contest Calendar

Most are fairly simple, but some do request a serial number, a sequential number of the stations you've contacted for the event in your log, 1,2,3,4,etc...

The upcoming IL QSO Party only asks for a signal report and your State.  So, for example, you'd give "5/9 Oregon".
View Quote
Great! That sounds easy enough!
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Most logging software will have a section for contests, just look for the one you want to work, and it mostly does everything for you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Most logging software will have a section for contests, just look for the one you want to work, and it mostly does everything for you.
View Quote
Good to know. I'm using a paper log because I am not real savvy with computers
Top Top