BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2017 10:48:39 AM EDT
need radio operators for puerto rico for satern

salvation army site

alex
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
For some reason I will not get into here I would most likely be willing to stick my neck out for the Salvation Army as opposed to the Red Cross.

Still, with no security and being illegal to supply my own I am not willing to stick my neck out and risk being beaten and robbed.

The people trying to get the cell towers up have had a LOT of problems and they're establishment types. I wonder what would happen to some simple guy with a radio and no backup, legal, state of corporate?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Concur.
As I have said on another thread, if I cant provide my own, and there is not even mention of security....I'll be here.
To further this, even if we could provide our own and I didnt personally know the individuals I was grouped with, I'd still say no.
Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
The FIRST rule of being a caregiver is DON"T GET HURT.

Say you have a guy in a cargo tank overcome by fumes. Do you go down to haul him out?

NO!!

That would then mean there are TWO of you in the tank overcome by fumes.

Same theory holds here.

If they can't give a volunteer asset some semblance of security then don't ask for volunteers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Was listening to them today on 14.250 talking to Penn. Very good signal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I was listening to a Canadian Special Event station, VA3FIRE, on 40m today. The guy was telling one of the contacts that he had a QSO with one of the Red Cross volunteer hams on site in PR this morning. His take was that the situation in PR is much, much worse than what the media are currently reporting. He didn't elaborate on what he meant by that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone I know that does PSD'ing said it's like the old road warrior movie.
A wasteland of roving gangs.
$500/day...90 day rotation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was listening to them today on 14.250 talking to Penn. Very good signal.
View Quote
I haven't heard any traffic from PR. With the supposed number of stations they have over there now, and all of the health and welfare traffic that is supposedly backlogged, you'd think that there would be non-stop, multiple freq's going on HF 24/7.

What are they doing, and where can I monitor them? Or is it all VHF simplex back to some internet uplink?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For some reason I will not get into here I would most likely be willing to stick my neck out for the Salvation Army as opposed to the Red Cross.

Still, with no security and being illegal to supply my own I am not willing to stick my neck out and risk being beaten and robbed.

The people trying to get the cell towers up have had a LOT of problems and they're establishment types. I wonder what would happen to some simple guy with a radio and no backup, legal, state of corporate?
View Quote
I'm not in a position to deploy for weeks at a time, but it seems like a great way to help out, at least in theory.  Is firearm possession prohibited in PR?  Seems like a constitutional problem.  I'd be interested in the straight dope on condition down there.  

Is there some organization or group coordinating the information coming back on HF?  Seems like there would be a net control of some kind organizing things and passing traffic.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was listening to a Canadian Special Event station, VA3FIRE, on 40m today. The guy was telling one of the contacts that he had a QSO with one of the Red Cross volunteer hams on site in PR this morning. His take was that the situation in PR is much, much worse than what the media are currently reporting. He didn't elaborate on what he meant by that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Here's why he was keeping his mouth shut:
Oct. 09, 2017 - 4:07 - Puerto Rican businessman Jorge Rodriguez on the threats he has received in response to calling out Puerto Rican officials for their ‘inept’ reaction to Hurricane Maria.
LINK
Washington is not the only swamp that needs draining.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not in a position to deploy for weeks at a time, but it seems like a great way to help out, at least in theory.  Is firearm possession prohibited in PR?  
View Quote
It is a REAL can of worms.

READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!!!

Another thing is that as far as the rules go, the law may say one thing and the cops another thing especially in a place like San Juan (liberal heaven) It becomes one of those messes where although you can win in court AFTER you're locked up, it's STILL gonna cost you a fortune.

Throw in the corruption factor and your new 1911 may wind up in a PR cop's collection. Pistol? What pistol?

Carrying an M-4gery across your back is ABSOLUTELY out of the question! In addition to drawing LEOS (many of questionable integrity) there are likely a number of thugs that would figure out a way to jump you for it.

Picture carrying an AR from PA to Maine and getting stopped in NJ, NY, or MA. At the VERY least, you are gonna lose the gun and it's gonna cost you 5x the value of it to get it back. It's probably the same deal there.

PLUS at least an overnight in the pokey.

From what I am hearing of gang activity down there it's too damned risky for my blood.

Incidentally as far as the Salvation Army OR the ARRL goes, neither of them permit carrying of any firearms, legally or otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Yea, like I said before....it's a wasteland of roving thugs....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top