Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2017 9:46:25 PM EDT
I haveS9 antenna, basically a wire in a telescopic fiberglass pole.  Originally I had it ground mounted in a small backyard with lots of radials.  I am in a different location and thinking about elevating it about 10 feet.  Primary reason is sheds and other structures will make ground radials extremely difficult.  I have "heard" that with the vertical elevated I could use 2-4 radials, also elevated with a length of 1/4 wavelength.  The radials may pass over a metal shed or two that sit on concrete pads, so, not grounded.

Anyone have any ideas or had done something similar?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That will work. Ideally you need two radials cut for each band to get full 360 degree coverage, but even one radio will
work (though you'll have a deep null in the pattern in its direction.)

Elevated verticals are much more efficient than on-ground ones, but they are much more sensitive to tuning/detuning
and need the radials cut to length. I'm sure the shed will impact the pattern but it's probably still better than being on
the ground due to the efficiency gain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top