Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 1:07:57 PM EDT
I currently only have several HTs and a mobile (Yaesu FT-8900). I want to set up a base station radio.
There are a few 2M and 70CM repeaters. Most of the activity is on one of the 2M repeaters, with very little on the 70CM, and nothing on 6M.  
I want to find a way to rig a mic and speaker from my ham shack (in an attached garage) to somewhere in my house (kitchen/bedroom). This would give me the following benefits:

1. It's cold in the garage during winter, so operating from inside the house would be beneficial.
2. Less interference since there are no other electronics in the garage.
3. My wife monitors the repeater when I am out hunting, and QSO is intermittent with an HT inside our house.

Also, when I am hunting, my wife monitors one of the repeaters so I can check in or call for help if I get into trouble. This doesn't work well with out HTs inside our house.

I could use a recommendation for a 2M/70CM base station. I only plan on using VHF/UHF stuff for the immediate future.

1. Why is there no cheaper option to connect a 12VDC mobile rig to AC power? Seems like the cheapest way to do this is about $100. Would it be possible to connect to a small battery bank with a battery tender?

2. From what I have read, my best bet for 2M use is a 1/4wave with a ground plane?

3. Best way to remote mount a mic/speaker, say 40 feet away? Running cable into the walls isn't an issue.

ETA:

4. What kind of Coax should I be looking at? I have three different locations to mount the antenna. One would be very close to the radio, about 10' of feedline, the other would be closer to 80' and the other would be 40'.

5. Do I lose a lot between 10' and 80' of feedline?

6. As it relates to mounting the antenna, how big of a difference would I expect from about 3' of height? One of the potential locations is an eve mount, and the other is a gable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh ARFCOM is having a bad day, I (seek2) just entered a comment and it replaced Foxxz's advice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Trying again...

You know, this might be a good application for a HT set to minimum power and a base with crossband repeat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trying again...

You know, this might be a good application for a HT set to minimum power and a base with crossband repeat.
View Quote
I have actually considered this. Is this legal though? To crossband repeat the repeater to a simplex frequency? Wouldn't it technically be illegal since I wouldn't be transmitting my call sign on the crossband station?

Thanks for your help. I read your original post, but could you provide the link to the antenna and the power supply, again, please?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Theres alot of conjecture on crossbanding. Some say illegal. Others say legal. Its kind of a gray area.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Crossband repeating is basically an auxiliary station, not all rigs ID on the 440 side which isn't legal, but those that do are in compliance
assuming the right frequencies are used etc.

Most seem to recommend the TM-71A, which supports a "remote control mode" that pretty much guarantees it's an aux station,
I think that radio with an ID (either built in or added on) is pretty much in compliance.

FWIW, I searched and couldn't find a single enforcement action on ham crossband repeater violations.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey OP, I kinda do the same thing almost Every Day!

I live out a ways, and my daily life does not allow me to sit at a desk all day to chat on the repeater.  I utilize the Cross Band repeater inside my Kenwood TMv71a (legally) to connect via simplex to the local repeaters from my low power HT's from just about anywhere on my 33 acres (as well as the kitchen while washing dishes).

IMHO, it's the best way to accomplish what you're wanting to do.

For power supplies, I like the Samlex 1223 or 1235 (low cost and low profile).  buy it now and it'll run whatever you toss at it.  The 'inside' part of the equation will be fixed with an HT or 2 that are power sippers and can recharge overnight.

hope it helps

ETA: build you a 1/4 wave or just buy a nice high gain antenna-mount them up on the eave of the garage (or at least as high as you can inside the garage/attic) and you should be good
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
More questions added.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top