Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2017 3:52:12 PM EDT
If you are in Florida and have HF capabilities, please list your location and call sign here. 

A lot of people are going to be without cellular service, including all the Zello feeds, after this bitch is done. Ham is the only way we're gonna have to try and get health and welfare messages through. 

Y'all stay safe!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps it would be helpful to pick a couple of easy to remember frequencies, one for daytime on 20m and one for night on 40m. I'd suggest 7.287 and 14.287 but I don't know if they're used by a beacon or foreign station.

Generally, I pick up Florida stations like they were next door. Not sure why but they always seem to come in here the loudest.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
ARFHAM Freq list (from 2015) is where'd I start.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had a tech license for a few years. To be honest, I never use it.
I wouldn't mind monitoring a frequency and could check in from time to time with local update to my area (wellington palm beach county).
There a good 2m frequency to monitor?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The SATERN SSB Net is active on 14.265 and/or 7.262 MHz depending on propagation.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had a tech license for a few years. To be honest, I never use it.
I wouldn't mind monitoring a frequency and could check in from time to time with local update to my area (wellington palm beach county).
There a good 2m frequency to monitor?
View Quote
Here is a list of all amateur repeater freqs in your AO

ETA: Notice MODE in the layout, ( FM ) that's what you can program into your rig

I like the repeaterbook app, free and works with your location to tell you what is avail in your AO too :)

ETA2: if you have a working programming cable and have the CHIRP software installed you can import from data service : Repeaterbook using your State/County

hope some of that helps, we praying for y'all...

for those looking for a "how to become a ham and what to do next" check out my page and podcast: Here
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
@blacksunshinez51

follow this link to Radioreference, find your county and click the Amateur tab

Radio Reference State of FL Lookup

lemmie know if I can help further
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Im guessing I will need to relay to messages to Ft Myers after this is over, Im trying to get freq's.  I will also need short messages relayed back to me for extracts.  Can anyone help out?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are in florida. Look up sarnet. Florida has alot of repeaters around the state that are connected. Very good system to monitor.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
SARNET

SARnet: Statewide Amateur Radio Networking in Florida
PLEASE BE ADVISED:
Unauthorized use of SARnet by persons who are not licensed by the United States (US) federal government to operate amateur radio equipment is a direct violation of US federal law under Title 47, Part 97, of the US Code of Federal Regulations.

IN ADDITION, under Florida Statute 877.27, unauthorized use of SARnet resulting in interference to authorized users is illegal and considered a third degree felony, punishable by up to 5 years in jail and up to a $5,000 fine. If found guilty of a felony in the state of Florida you will lose your right to vote, sit on a jury, hold public office, and own a gun.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@blacksunshinez51

follow this link to Radioreference, find your county and click the Amateur tab

Radio Reference State of FL Lookup

lemmie know if I can help further
View Quote
Thank you very much.  If I have to use it and the Police or Fire wont allow it I will inquire with you about it.  Im sure ill be good on my end but im guessing on the FL end there will be heavy radio traffic so we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SARNET
View Quote
Had no idea SARNET existed. Just programmed it into my ID 51A Plus 2 for the two closest repeaters. Seems great for an emergency.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Sarnet is a great asset. There are always people monitoring it. Unlicensed radio operators are allowed to use Ham radios in life and death situations.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Im fortunate enough I have linked repeaters to Fl in my AO. (I'm in NJ)
Assuming theyre not blown away, I can pass messages for those who need it.
I also have HF capabilities, but currently the tech license is the holdup.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I heard on the news this morning the Red Cross app has a monitor function where you can put in your persons information and they will notify you of when and where they check into a shelter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#16]
South Carolina ARES/SCEMD Amateur Radio Update:

Sunday at 0600 September 10, the SCHEART Linked Repeater Network will be linked statewide. The system will remained linked while Irma passes and for immediate recovery operations.
The VHF and UHF systems will be linked together for the hurricane and during the initial recovery.
The SC-HEART DMR system will enter Emergency Operational Mode on Sunday as well
The Local Talk Group will not be affected in the emergency mode.
Chat 1 and Chat 2 will operate between repeaters within the SCHEART network.  
No Talk Groups outside the state will be available to users.
Analog and Digital system will remain in support roles until SCEMD determines the communication emergency is over.
SCEMD HF FREQUENCIES:

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#17]
And for those of us not in Florida or on HF Broadcastify app or web site has the Fort Lauderdale Repeaters you came listen in on. Miami and other Florida PDs too. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been listening to Florida Statewide on DMR and there is very little activity so far, maybe that will change by the time I get home from work tonight.  I have a friend in Miami that was not going to evacuate and now that she shifted to the West probably not a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't forget about the Hurricane Watch Net http://hwn.org/ on 14.325 USB. 

I will monitor as much as I can over the next several days but having a 4 week old newborn is severely limiting my operational capacity 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Guys, you aren't missing anything. Just incessant reporting of weather forecasts more easily obtained by other means, calls for check-in's, and general QRM.

Even hams have better things to do during hurricanes than yack on the radio.

Smart hams have bugged out and are too busy drinking and eating and enjoying the comfort of their Alabama hotel rooms to dick around with ham radio. Dumb hams will be too busy surviving to "communicate".

However, it will be interesting to know if anyone can report on the survivability of SARNET.

BTW, I have a bunch of customers in the Tampa area. Every single one of them has opted to bug-in. One is already having a "hurricane party".
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#21]
LInk

Pasco County put out a call late Saturday for volunteers with a specific skill set and technical equipment to help with the response to Hurricane Irma.

Pasco County says it needs 20 volunteers who know how to operate ham radios to assist with Hurricane Irma response efforts.

The county asked for volunteers who have their own portable or mobile radio with UHF/VHF capability.

Anyone who meets these requirements and is available to help is asked to email [email protected] or call the Customer Service Volunteer Hotline at 727-847-8944 to register.

Other volunteer opportunities are also available. Additional information will be posted at www.pascocountyfl.net.

Irma Information for Pasco County can be found here: http://www.fox13news.com/weather/tropics/irma-local-coverage/irma-information-pasco-county
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top