Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2016 8:37:39 PM EDT
Three different places have the 7300 listed at $1499, and available to order if you are OK with waiting a few weeks for shipment.

Who will be the first to 'take one for the team' and get one up and running?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to, that rig is really appealing to me for some reason.  I'll pass for now though since I have no need nor any extra money at this time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I didn't.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
While all these new radios are super nice, they are always much more expensive than the radio they replace. At some point they are gonna start pricing beginners out of the hobby.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't speak to how great and wonderful the software/firmware is/isn't, but I just looked at the schematics and hardware-wise this thing is legit!

I bet it is going to sell like hotcakes, and that it will likely outperform everything else in the Icom line-up if QST can finally figure out how to measure a DDC/DUC architecture properly. I suppose they'll have to if they want Icom to continue to advertise

Still need to go through the manual for grins.

All data is here: http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7300/main.html
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Did you order one???
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if the local HRO has a demo unit yet...
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did you order one???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did you order one???

Nope.  I've got one kid going to college in the fall and his sister is just two years behind him.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#8]
And besides, it's not green and doesn't have handles.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:06:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

FWIW the IC 7200 may very well end up with a 'cult' following and wind up being worth more that it was when it was new.

Time will tell......
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:03:56 AM EDT
[#10]
The 7300 has my interest... once my 7100 sells.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:09:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Twice the price of the 7200.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:11:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

And?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's neither aimed at the same market nor a replacement for the 7200.

It's competition for the FT1200, FT3000, TS590 and dare I say venturing into the K3 sphere just a bit. At least that's the buzz they are trying to create.

More significantly, to reduce the market drain of the black box SDR radios away from traditional form factor radios.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

FWIW the IC 7200 may very well end up with a 'cult' following and wind up being worth more that it was when it was new.

Time will tell......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time will tell......

I doubt it   LOL
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The IC-7200 only has a cult following on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Time will tell......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Time will tell......
Replacing the IC-703 for that position?  Bought a 703+ for $425.  Spent $240 to put W4RT CW and SSB fliters in it.  Used it for 6  years and sold it for  $780.  Sold the separation kit for $180  had paid $60 for that.  That $960 made a nice down payment on a KX3.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#17]
IC-7300... excellent that it has a real mic socket instead of one made for the telephone industry.  That is a
rather irritating weak point of Yaesu radios.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#18]

I went thru the manual recently, and unless the performance turns out to be epic, I am going to try to ignore it.

I run all my non-SSB modes on my PC, so I don't need or want some small screen trying to do that.  Nor do I need the radio decoding anything as I have programs on the PC for that.

I suspect my next radio will be a full-on SDR.

But for now the 590SG is in no danger.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I need to re-run my ethernet cable out to the shack. :(

I ran over it once too many times with the truck again.

The 7300 looks nice. I wish it had an ethernet port though. Then it could KILL the SDR market just based on price. Can you imagine being able to run an OpenHPSDR environment OR swap to traditional radio as you pleased?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Replacing the IC-703 for that position?  Bought a 703+ for $425.  Spent $240 to put W4RT CW and SSB fliters in it.  Used it for 6  years and sold it for  $780.  Sold the separation kit for $180  had paid $60 for that.  That $960 made a nice down payment on a KX3.

View Quote

You made out like a bandit selling your IC-703+, km!  Hell I need to sell mine and roll that into another radio...  Hmmmmmm......
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You made out like a bandit selling your IC-703+, km!  Hell I need to sell mine and roll that into another radio...  Hmmmmmm......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You better hang on to it and your 7200.  You will be the ultimate Icom cult hero.

Don't drink the koolaid.

It's intoxicating.  I'm thinking I need to add a K2 or K3s to my collection.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's competition for the FT1200, FT3000, TS590 and dare I say venturing into the K3 sphere just a bit. At least that's the buzz they are trying to create.

More significantly, to reduce the market drain of the black box SDR radios away from traditional form factor radios.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It goes deeper than that. This is the future, guys. Direct conversion architecture radios are much less expensive to produce.

The parts count is far lower.
Assembly is far easier.
Testing is far easier.

Then there is the performance, which should blow away all but the most sophisticated superhet's and give what's left a run for the money.

I was looking at the schematic and, even as an ANAN owner, I am jealous of the hardware. Comparing it to the 100B, the closest competitor, the 7300:

Is $300 less expensive
Has 2 more bits of ADC resolution
Has a higher sampling rate
15 bands of bandpass filter preselection compared to on 5 HPFs on the 100B
Has no relays other than a few for T/R switching

The downside, of course, is that it probably is nowhere near as flexible as the 100B in terms of features and functions. If they had put an Ethernet port on it with an eye towards providing a thin-client style firmware load for it they would have an out and out Flex/ANAN killer.

Leaving aside the Flex/ANAN comparison, this is an obvious shot across Yaesu and Kenwood's proverbial bows. They are going to have to answer. The next few years are going to be interesting!

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got one on reservation , but since this will be my first hf radio I plan on spending a good amount of time listening and figuring stuff out, I doubt I can provide any insight to it's performance.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It goes deeper than that. This is the future, guys. Direct conversion architecture radios are much less expensive to produce.

Assembly is far easier.
Testing is far easier.

Then there is the performance, which should blow away all but the most sophisticated superhet's and give what's left a run for the money.

I was looking at the schematic and, even as an ANAN owner, I am jealous of the hardware. Comparing it to the 100B, the closest competitor, the 7300:

Is $300 less expensive

The downside, of course, is that it probably is nowhere near as flexible as the 100B in terms of features and functions. If they had put an Ethernet port on it with an eye towards providing a thin-client style firmware load for it they would have an out and out Flex/ANAN killer.

Leaving aside the Flex/ANAN comparison, this is an obvious shot across Yaesu and Kenwood's proverbial bows. They are going to have to answer. The next few years are going to be interesting!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assembly is far easier.
Testing is far easier.

Is $300 less expensive

Agree with all of the above.

It was really hoping for functionality so that it could function the same way the black box radios do. And/or a lower price point, but I can see where they don't want to distort the market too much.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I think Icom nailed it. I never liked "black box" radios that need a separate PC to operate. Great design, excellent ergonomics and good performance  (yet to be tested). I hope the receiver is not as noisy as some other SDR radios. I think Elecraft has a lot of catching up to do.
I would not be surprised if Yaesu and Kenwood come up with a similar radio very soon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
IC-7300... excellent that it has a real mic socket instead of one made for the telephone industry.  That is a
View Quote

What are you talking about?  Most base Yaesu Icoms and Kenwoods have almost identical microphone sockets unless you are referring to portable units. Then it's comparing apples and oranges. My IC7000, Ic706, Ft857 and ic718 have RJ45 MiC connectors. I never had any issues with them. The cord often disintegrates before the connectors.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I hope the receiver is not as noisy as some other SDR radios.
View Quote

Lolwat?

You can't compare this thing to SDRplay et al. You have to compare it to Flex and Apache Labs radios that actually have some preselection and a decent pre-amp. It should be outstanding, better than almost all superhet's.

On the other hand, one of the most interesting subjects on the Apache Labs mailing list is "My ANAN-xxx is broken. The S-meter on my KenYaeCom shows an S3 noise floor and my ANAN shows an S7." One of the dirty little secrets of the Big Three is that all of them use S-meter response curves that are horribly non-linear and incorrect below S9, and all of them are purposely engineered to appear "quiet", i.e. show lower noise floors than what actually exists. Both Flex and Apache Labs are showing what liars the Big Three are when it comes to S-meter calibration!
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#28]
This looks like an interesting radio....I'll probably give it a couple years for Icom to work out all the bugs, drop the price a couple hundred bucks, and maybe throw in an extra feature or two then pick one up.

Hopefully Yaesu and Kenwood will respond with something similar.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nope.  I've got one kid going to college in the fall and his sister is just two years behind him.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you order one???

Do it! She'll be fine waiting tables 'til she's 30.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Not on my radar at this time.  I generally like my 7200.  It does have some quirks, but an "upgrade" to me would be a proven rig like a 590s/sg.

I'm just not seeing why everybody is so gung ho about the 7300.  I'm sure it will be a fine rig once the initial bugs are worked out, but at the current price point, a 590sg would be the no brainer for me right now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Someone just sent me a link to the Icom RS-BA1 remote control software running with the IC-7300. I have to say, if I was still into knobified radios, I would be all over this like <insert politically incorrect saying here>. Considering the software creates its own 2-way VOIP link and only uses something like 115Kbps you could run this thing from anywhere inside or outside of your house. Get yourself a fan-less, head-less, micro-PC, plop that on top of the radio to be the RS-BA1 server, and Bob's your uncle!

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm just not seeing why everybody is so gung ho about the 7300.
View Quote

It's tiny, lightweight, has the promise/potential of really excellent performance, and an extensive feature set like the spectrum display and audio scope. Technologically it brings the advancements of the "black box" SDR world (Flex and Anan) to a traditional form factor radio.

There are some specifics in the specifications that get my attention. Beyond just the numbers on some things, the 15 bandpass filters for preselection should really help say Field Day multiop.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#33]
MTC posted today that the IC-7300 is now shipping.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What are you talking about?  Most base Yaesu Icoms and Kenwoods have almost identical microphone sockets unless you are referring to portable units. Then it's comparing apples and oranges. My IC7000, Ic706, Ft857 and ic718 have RJ45 MiC connectors. I never had any issues with them. The cord often disintegrates before the connectors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen an IC-718 with anything but an 8-pin Foster connector for microphone.

As far as issues with the RJ45, you will with the crappy plastic tab breaks off.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are waiting for your review of your new radio
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Where the f*ck's the bandswitch, the keyer speed, and the break-in delay???
How many many layers does one have to dig through to get to them?

The ARRL should have a review out in the next few months. That'll get past the bells and whistles and into the serious operating parameters. It looks like it may be the IC-7410's little brother in a zoot suit.

ETA: No separate jack for straight key/bug.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where the f*ck's the bandswitch, the keyer speed, and the break-in delay???
How many many layers does one have to dig through to get to them?

The ARRL should have a review out in the next few months. That'll get past the bells and whistles and into the serious operating parameters. It looks like it may be the IC-7410's little brother in a zoot suit.

ETA: No separate jack for straight key/bug.
View Quote

A) Did you actually get yours? Leaving aside the ergonomic complaints, how's the receiver performing?

B) Did you crack the manual? If I was waiting as long as you probably have been for delivery I would have memorized the thing by now! I was curious about how hard it could be to operate so I just did take a quick look. I used to have an IC-7000 and I will admit the menus on the Icoms can get a little crazy so I did have low expectations. But looking at the manual it seemed pretty straightforward. Particularly switching bands.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't afford one, for a while at least.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I live close to MTC.  They are great people and will usually beat the big boy prices.  Check thei eBay page for crazy deals.  Go into the store in Parix, TX and they will wheel and deal on used equipment.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#40]
If it had VHF....
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If it had VHF....
View Quote

you're better off having a separate VHF rig

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it had VHF....

After my IC7100 I've come to the same conclusion.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it had VHF....

I don't use VHF enough to justify the purchase of or the space taken up by a dedicated VHF rig.  Cramming into a package with something else is more enticing
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't use VHF much either, but there's local hams on 2meters that are always spotting DX

with separate HF & VHF, I can listen for DX spots, while i tune around on HF

This is helpful in the shack, and mobile

having all your eggs in one basket, means you can only listen to one thing

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:30:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it had VHF....

For everyday FM operation, yes. But some want to do SSB/CW etc on VHF/UHF bands.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Time will tell......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time will tell......

It happened with the 703...
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

For everyday FM operation, yes. But some want to do SSB/CW etc on VHF/UHF bands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it had VHF....

yeah....i guess....

I remember all the no-code techs playing VHF/UHF SSB when they couldn't use HF (1990's)

since they dropped the CW test requirement, I don't know any hams who still play up there

.....well, maybe one or two

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
yeah....i guess....

I remember all the no-code techs playing VHF/UHF SSB when they couldn't use HF (1990's)

since they dropped the CW test requirement, I don't know any hams who still play up there

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it had VHF....

yeah....i guess....

Most who play there are advanced or exra class.  It is an experimenters paradise.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#49]
pretty sure VHF/UHF SSB activity has declined significantly since the 1990's

...doesn't mean it's not interesting to those who like it  

just saying that these days it's so easy to get on HF, most guys skip it

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Judging from the Yagi farms I see around here, there are several who are active on VHF/UHF.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top