Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 4 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:52:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jupiter7200:
Almost all electronics is outsourced to China.  This is nothing unique to Prolific.
View Quote

Just because "everyone else is doing it" doesn't make it right.  And my point was that Prolific was taking it out on the end customer (me) rather than the ones who made the bad purchase.

Actually, Prolific's foundry is in S. Korea as of 2002.  I couldn't find anything more recent on that.

So it looks like Prolific won't be getting a letter from me, they're off the hook.

And I will be sending my cable back to the people I got it from.  I'll still be ordering an FTDI based cable though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MCSquared:

Just because "everyone else is doing it" doesn't make it right.  And my point was that Prolific was taking it out on the end customer (me) rather than the ones who made the bad purchase.

Actually, Prolific's foundry is in S. Korea as of 2002.  I couldn't find anything more recent on that.

So it looks like Prolific won't be getting a letter from me, they're off the hook.

And I will be sending my cable back to the people I got it from.  I'll still be ordering an FTDI based cable though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Almost all electronics is outsourced to China.  This is nothing unique to Prolific.

I followed this page for using my counterfeit cable with Windows 8.  Once I followed the directions for disabling automatic updates it worked just fine.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

If I were buying again I'd just get the better cable, but even the cheap counterfeit worked fine by just following the instructions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:58:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MCSquared] [#3]
Originally Posted By Variable556:

I followed this page for using my counterfeit cable with Windows 8.  Once I followed the directions for disabling automatic updates it worked just fine.

If I were buying again I'd just get the better cable, but even the cheap counterfeit worked fine by just following the instructions.
View All Quotes

I updated my driver when I thought I had a good cable.  Since that time the updated driver keeps re-installing itself, even after I rolled back the driver several times.

And yes, I can use the cable just fine after I roll back the driver.  That doesn't mean I want to keep doing that every other time I use the cable.  I'm ordering the FTDI cable and will send this POS back where it came from and get my money back.

As for Windows automatic updates, those stay turned off.  I review them once a week and pick which ones I want to install.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got my baofeng uv-5ra's in. Cant wait to mess up the programming and throw stuff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PuckGrinder:
I just got my baofeng uv-5ra's in. Cant wait to mess up the programming and throw stuff.
View Quote

Anything you do with the programming will be light years easier than trying to do it through the menus. These things are worth every penny of the $30+ you pay for them, but if you had paid "normal" HT prices for them you'd be pissed.

They work. Until I get a decent antenna for it I'm holding my judgement on how well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sburggsx:

Anything you do with the programming will be light years easier than trying to do it through the menus. These things are worth every penny of the $30+ you pay for them, but if you had paid "normal" HT prices for them you'd be pissed.

They work. Until I get a decent antenna for it I'm holding my judgement on how well.
View All Quotes

I've got the N9TAX roll-up SlimJim connected to mine. I'm hearing repeaters from 20-odd miles out with no trouble, antenna is just hanging from a curtain rod in the bedroom. I have not made a contact *out* yet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I was playing with chirp but dont know if im doing it right. I looked on the yahoo group but I couldnt find how to actually load frequencies on it. I thought I was doing it right using the list feom the dropdown box . But dont know if im doing it right from lack of experience.

I remember a link on how to but couldnt seem to find the right one again. Ill be taking the general and tech on the 9th if work cooperates. I wont be on the air for awhile but want to use this time to learn what im doing on it without actually talking.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I was playing with chirp but dont know if im doing it right. I looked on the yahoo group but I couldnt find how to actually load frequencies on it. I thought I was doing it right using the list feom the dropdown box . But dont know if im doing it right from lack of experience.

I remember a link on how to but couldnt seem to find the right one again. Ill be taking the general and tech on the 9th if work cooperates. I wont be on the air for awhile but want to use this time to learn what im doing on it without actually talking.
View Quote

The links in the first page of this thread talk you through it.

However, just quickly, start chirp and hook up your HT. The first step is to click on Radio and download from radio. If that completes, do Radio, Query Data Source, and RepeaterBook. Select your county and let it download what you want. (I did both 2m and 70cm.) After that you upload them back into the radio.

If it worked the radio will reboot and all those memories will be there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#9]

However, just quickly, start chirp and hook up your HT. The first step is to click on Radio and download from radio. If that completes, do Radio, Query Data Source, and RepeaterBook. Select your county and let it download what you want. (I did both 2m and 70cm.) After that you upload them back into the radio.

View All Quotes

OK. Thanks. I was doing it right except for the query data part. I choose the option from stored but was trying to download from radio reference but don't have a premium account . I'll look through the first page and go from there. I was pleasantly surprised on the loudness of the speaker though considering the size.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Just read the first 2 pages and I'll take my netbook with me and finish it right. The second page is exactly what I was looking for and the poster makes it simple as in I lick windows helmet wearing simple.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Just read the first 2 pages and I'll take my netbook with me and finish it right. The second page is exactly what I was looking for and the poster makes it simple as in I lick windows helmet wearing simple.
View Quote

That is exactly right.  Jupiter is totally my hero when it comes to instructions!   I'm that window licker, and he even gets me through it.LOL!!!

Jupiter:  
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

I need to find a updated list of frequencies for nashville (davidson county), williamson county, maury and wilson counties.

What say you most awesome intelligent ham purveyor.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#14]

I need to find a updated list of frequencies for nashville (davidson county), williamson county, maury and wilson counties.

View All Quotes

It is built into chirp
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By gcw:

http://a.pomf.se/jdfbv.jpg

It is built into chirp
View All Quotes

http://a.pomf.se/jdfbv.jpg

It is built into chirp

Thsnk you
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my UV-5r+
Damn this thing is tiny!
I also ordered the NA-701 and will be ordering a 3800mah here soon.
I'm hooked!
Now just to program it. Question: do I really need my own programming cable or can I find an arfcommer in my HTF to spend an evening with and drink some beers? I'd much prefer to do it this way...

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Got my UV-5r+
Damn this thing is tiny!
I'm hooked!
Now just to program it. Question: do I really need my own programming cable or can I find an arfcommer in my HTF to spend an evening with and drink some beers? I'd much prefer to do it this way...

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ppcseniortrip/media/ec63a48a-ff96-4097-bfba-88902e59c2d9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/ec63a48a-ff96-4097-bfba-88902e59c2d9.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'd get one of your own, unless you don't make changes that often. I broke down and just bought it at the same time to save on shipping/headaches.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#18]

I'd get one of your own, unless you don't make changes that often. I broke down and just bought it at the same time to save on shipping/headaches.
View All Quotes
Got my UV-5r+
Damn this thing is tiny!
I'm hooked!

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ppcseniortrip/media/ec63a48a-ff96-4097-bfba-88902e59c2d9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/ec63a48a-ff96-4097-bfba-88902e59c2d9.jpg</a>

I'm reading youre response and my mind is going "fuck fuck fuck"
Care to educate me on what kind of 'changes' I need/would want to make?
FML
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#19]
If you move, go out of town, a new repeater is built, buy another radio and want the same setup, etc etc
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#20]
If you only hit 5 repeaters and never change that.... well, you're fine then.

If you're like me and travel a lot for work or whatever, and are always changing things or moving things around: You'll want the cable.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#21]

If you're like me and travel a lot for work or whatever, and are always changing things or moving things around: You'll want the cable.
View All Quotes

+
If you move, go out of town, a new repeater is built, buy another radio and want the same setup, etc etc

= makes sense

How many can it hold at a time?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 5:58:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sburggsx] [#22]
120 or 127, I forget.

ETA: And the scan through them is SLOW. You can actually miss complete conversations.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

This. I made a short-notice trip back to NY this week. Setting up a new chirp file with the appropriate repeaters and zapping the radio was on my to-do list, then it went in my carry-on bag. When I get back to MO I'll re-flash it to KC repeaters.

Just add it on your next Amazon order.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By zercool:

This. I made a short-notice trip back to NY this week. Setting up a new chirp file with the appropriate repeaters and zapping the radio was on my to-do list, then it went in my carry-on bag. When I get back to MO I'll re-flash it to KC repeaters.

View All Quotes

I did similarly earlier this year.  Flew up to the Seattle - Tacoma, Washington area to visit my son and his wife ( Ft. Lewis / McCord).  Loaded in some of the repeaters from that area.

Then 4 or 5 months ago we did a road trip back from Florida.  Loaded repeaters along I-95 and I-10 back to home.  Made contacts all the way using the UV-5R, a pigtail adapter to SO-239, connected to a magmount with Diamond 72 (1/4 wave) on the roof.  Rather than fight with the coiled cord on the battery eliminator plugged into the cigarette lighter, I just stuck with the 3600 mah batteries.  Used the same battery without recharging all the way home, two long days on the road.

Then once home, reloaded my original file.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#25]

I did similarly earlier this year.  Flew up to the Seattle - Tacoma, Washington area to visit my son and his wife ( Ft. Lewis / McCord).  Loaded in some of the repeaters from that area.

Then 4 or 5 months ago we did a road trip back from Florida.  Loaded repeaters along I-95 and I-10 back to home.  Made contacts all the way using the UV-5R, a pigtail adapter to SO-239, connected to a magmount with Diamond 72 (1/4 wave) on the roof.  Rather than fight with the coiled cord on the battery eliminator plugged into the cigarette lighter, I just stuck with the 3600 mah batteries.  Used the same battery without recharging all the way home, two long days on the road.

View All Quotes

That makes a lot of sense.
So having a 3800mah battery really negates the need for the AA battery packs, huh?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#26]
So having a 3800mah battery really negates the need for the AA battery packs, huh?
View Quote

For me, totally negates need for AA's.

BTW, if you use AA nicads, which are about 1.35 v fully charged, and about 1.1 volts discharged... they are 1.2 v shortly before discharged, that gives 6 x 1.35 v = 8.1 v.

That will quickly drop to about 1.25 v for a long time, actually a long shallow slope.  Then after it hits 1.2 volts per cell, 1.2 v  x  6  =  7.2 volts, still in the range of the Lithiums, it will quickly crash to 1.1 volts per cell.

Running 6 nicads is fine.

Running 6 alkalines is not.  6 x 1.5 v = 9 volts.  That will cause some problems, shut downs due to over voltage.  To get around this run one dummy cell with five live cells.  5 x 1.5 v = 7.5 volts, which is right around the voltage of the Lithium, which is 7.4 volts.

But the 3600 mah (not a typo) or 3800 mah batteries, they run for days.  Very impressive.  I ran two UV-5Rs set to the local NOAA weather station.  They have the mechanical voice going 24/7.  I ran the volume all the way up on the verge of distortion and let them run.  23 hours later they were still going.  One quit at about 23-1/2 hours.  The other went just over 24 hours.

The UV-5R draws almost no current when squelched.  If you keep your transmission time reasonable, you can get days from these little radios.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:23:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#27]

excellent post in regards to AAs
View All Quotes

Can I trouble you for the height of the radio with the 3800? (not including antenna?)

thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 1:47:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Variable556] [#28]

Can I trouble you for the height of the radio with the 3800? (not including antenna?)

thanks
View All Quotes

thanks

Aww crap, I'm an ass.  I'm sorry I forgot.  I'll measure mine in the morning if you don't already have an answer by then.  I totally brain farted.  

I suck.  Me =

ETA:  I took pics to help make up for the screwup.

The height is six inches to the top of the dial.  Roughly 5.5 inches if you don't count it.

If the radio seems huge in the pic above, it's because the hand belongs to a six year old.

Hopefully that helps, and once again I apologize for being a jerk and forgetting...
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#29]
For radio cases:

I have a Maxpedition "CP-L"  ( http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/CP-L-8p179.htm ) that easily fits the UV-5R radios either with or without the extended battery and/or the belt clip installed.

Left to right:  Regular batteried UV-5R+,  3800mAh batteried UV-5R+ in Maxpedition case, and an Alinco DJ-G7 for scale

The case still has plenty of adjustment to position the radio higher, lower, tighter, looser, with/without clip, etc.  I just tossed it in there with a quick adjustment to show it fits.

The length adjustment tab is all the way up in this pic, so without the big battery the stock UV-5R is pretty small in this case, but cinching down the retention cord on the top and snugging up the girth adjustment would make it fit okay.

I'm not a huge Maxpedition fan, but this particular case is pretty handy for radios.  It's adjustment easily covers any HT I want to put in it.  It's good to go for molle, or you could use it on a belt as well.  Norhing fancy for any specific radio, but it retains any I've tried pretty well so far.  HTH
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 10:47:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#30]

I have a Maxpedition "CP-L"  ( http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/CP-L-8p179.htm ) that easily fits the UV-5R radios either with or without the extended battery and/or the belt clip installed.

I'm not a huge Maxpedition fan, but this particular case is pretty handy for radios.  It's adjustment easily covers any HT I want to put in it.  It's good to go for molle, or you could use it on a belt as well.  Norhing fancy for any specific radio, but it retains any I've tried pretty well so far.  HTH
View Quote

The top retention piece, is that 3/4" webbing and a 3/4 buckle? I was hoping to use 3/4 webbing as a top retainer but wasn't sure if there was 3/4 clearance between the knob and antenna
Thanks again for the pics. I responed to your PM before I saw this update

ETA: is there anyone that has the maxpedition radio pouches particularly cheap or just search around and wait for a free shipping deal or something?
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 11:12:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jupiter7200] [#31]
Excellent photos!

Could you post photos of your hand holding the UV-5R with your thumb on the PTT (a) with the 1800 mah battery, and (b) another holding it with the 3800 mah battery?

Note how using the 1800 mah battery most of your hand is off the bottom of the radio.  It is much easier to hold and operate with the larger battery.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 11:29:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jupiter7200] [#32]
I'll post this again.  There is a battery eliminator available.  It looks like the small battery with a coiled cord and cig lighter plug.  It contains a regulator that puts 7.4 volts to the radio.

There is also a cable with 12 v cig lighter plug to coaxial plug that can plug into the charge base of the UV-5R, but a running car is 14.1 volts.  That has been known to toast the regulator in the UV-5R's charging base.  Don't do it!

This is the correct cord which steps down 12-24v to 10 volts, and will not damage the OEM charge base.

http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=109406
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Excellent photos!

Could you post photos of your hand holding the UV-5R with your thumb on the PTT (a) with the 1800 mah battery, and (b) another holding it with the 3800 mah battery?

Note how using the 1800 mah battery most of your hand is off the bottom of the radio.  It is much easier to hold and operate with the larger battery.
View Quote

Here you go:

For trigger finger talkers....

For thumb talkers...

Sorry for crappy cell pics...
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Great pictures!  Thanks!  They show just what I wanted to show.

Now imagine trying to work this radio one-handed.  You would press the keypad buttons with your thumb, of course.  Quite easy with the extended battery.

But try to do that with the original 1800 mah battery and you'll drop the radio.

As I said, of all of these radios in our club and used by other ham friends, not one person has preferred the short 1800 mah battery.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Great pictures!  Thanks!  They show just what I wanted to show.

Now imagine trying to work this radio one-handed.  You would press the keypad buttons with your thumb, of course.  Quite easy with the extended battery.

But try to do that with the original 1800 mah battery and you'll drop the radio.

As I said, of all of these radios in our club and used by other ham friends, not one person has preferred the short 1800 mah battery.
View Quote

I like the 3800 myself. The original battery is nice if you want the radio to be small, but the longer batter just makes it so much better if you have larger hands.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Got my UV-5r+
Damn this thing is tiny!
I'm hooked!

View Quote

The cord is cheaper than the beers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#37]
If you use the 3800 battery, the TYR radio pouch should work well. TYR stuff is custom made to order so expect to wait
$26 shipped to include multicam if that's your cup of tea
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I asked this in the other thread but its running slow today. I copy/paste the pd frequencies for davidson county in tn but am not getting anything coming through(im in williamson). I used the process from the other thread for settings and frequencies. What would be some reasons for not receiving.  I still have the stock antenna until the other one comes in.

Link Posted: 11/4/2013 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I asked this in the other thread but its running slow today. I copy/paste the pd frequencies for davidson county in tn but am not getting anything coming through(im in williamson). I used the process from the other thread for settings and frequencies. What would be some reasons for not receiving.  I still have the stock antenna until the other one comes in.

View Quote

Possibly your PD and other services have all switched over to a new trunking system up on 700 mhz.  This has happened all over the USA and people are caught by surprise when their police scanners tuned to the old VHF frequencies are silent.  Happened where I live, too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for this thread! Been out of the ham word for a while now and ordered one of these recently.  Got a sideline job coming up and hope to have it before then to try it out as I'll have 12 hour night shift of pure boredom.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#42]
The UV-5R is not a great radio.  it is a good radio.  It is a great value.  But don't think of it as the ultimate or best, whatever that is.  I would say it's the best sub-$50 radio around... haha.  Think of it as a Bic pen, use it, toss it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Possibly your PD and other services have all switched over to a new trunking system up on 700 mhz.  This has happened all over the USA and people are caught by surprise when their police scanners tuned to the old VHF frequencies are silent.  Happened where I live, too.
View All Quotes

I use the scanner pro on my phone and I believe the feed is from broadcastify. I cant find where to see the frequency in the app though to figure it out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Signal25:
View Quote

Got it in, and programmed it per the guide on here no problem.
Let it sit for about 2 hours on NATCAL, and not 1 single transmission.

I was able to her the local sheriffs dispatch though.

Is there a way to make the radio "SCAN" the channels.
I read on here scan just basically reverses the calls.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 1:12:30 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

No surprise.  I don't hear anything on 146.520 either.  This radio makes for a poor scanner, though it will scan.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#46]

No surprise.  I don't hear anything on 146.520 either.  This radio makes for a poor scanner, though it will scan.
View All Quotes

Can you tell me how to make it scan the channels I have saved?
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 1:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zercool] [#47]

View Quote

Top right corner of the keypad, press and hold the "*/SCN" button for about two seconds. It'll start flipping through channels on the display.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Top right corner of the keypad, press and hold the "*/SCN" button for about two seconds. It'll start flipping through channels on the display.
View All Quotes

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I saw a few days ago they were down to $34 so I bought one. Got it today! Dug everything out and found I didn't have any programming software nor a cable. My fault for overlooking the cable not included part. I went back to the item on amazon and it clearly shows to comes with software though. Radio has now dropped to $30 as well.

Guess I'll just play around with it until the cable gets here now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Scorp_DX:
I saw a few days ago they were down to $34 so I bought one. Got it today! Dug everything out and found I didn't have any programming software nor a cable. My fault for overlooking the cable not included part. I went back to the item on amazon and it clearly shows to comes with software though. Radio has now dropped to $30 as well.

Guess I'll just play around with it until the cable gets here now.
View Quote

mine dind't come with software either. They say not to use it though anyways. I haven't bought a cable yet. Link to the one you bought?
Page / 16
Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 4 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top