Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 32
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Belated congrats to the several people, rleonard, supo & his kids, combattruckmonkey.
You all just got licenses to go learn more.
See ya on the forum & hope to hear you calling cq arfcom on the airwaves.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
#rleonard #combattruckmonkey

If it matters to you, you may want to remove your call signs from your posts.

People can look up your names and addresses.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raffi383:

View Quote
Done. Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Just found this thread. I got a Baofeng handheld for Christmas and apparently I need a license to use it.  I'm on the OP and plan to go through the thread completely, so it might take a bit for me to get to the end.  Looks interesting.
@AR-jedi
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:41:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike4573] [#5]
This thread inspired me to get off my butt and get it done!  Been interested in ham radio since Junior High when the Electric Shop teacher sponsored the Ham Radio Club. Well, almost 50 years later I passed the Tech and General exams today!  It wouldn’t have happened without the encouragement and advice on this thread!

1) your background, if i may ask? Retired LEO
2) how often/much did you study? A hour or two each day on Hamstudy.org
3) distance traveled to the exam site? 10 miles
4) type of exam site? Nature museum.
5) total time it took you to complete Tech exam? about 10 minutes for each. At the test location about a hour and half total.
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?  About a month

Now the learning begins!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mike4573:
This thread inspired me to get off my butt and get it done!  Been interested in ham radio since Junior High when the Electric Shop teacher sponsored the Ham Radio Club. Well, almost 50 years later I passed the Tech and General exams today!  It wouldn’t have happened without the encouragement and advice on this thread!

1) your background, if i may ask? Retired LEO
2) how often/much did you study? A hour or two each day on Hamstudy.org
3) distance traveled to the exam site? 10 miles
4) type of exam site? Nature museum.
5) total time it took you to complete Tech exam? about 10 minutes for each. At the test location about a hour and half total.
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?  About a month

Now the learning begins!!
View Quote
And #7 was the most important lesson!  Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally remembered we had this subforum, and found this thread.

I've been studying for about three weeks, going to sit for my exam on Saturday. It's a bit of a drive for me, about an hour, but it's the only nearby date that's convenient for me so there we go.

I'm hoping to walk out approved for a General class license. No way I'm going to have time to study for Extra just now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok guys I've been looking at this forum for a few weeks and I've decided to get it together and study for my license. Anybody in LV NV available to help me out.

I've got a few study guides and I'm working on those now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MCSquared] [#10]
Disregard, you've already gotten your license.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Just talking out loud:

I need to get my license and a radio by mid-July due to an event I'm attending requiring HAM for comms. Was into this when I was a kid, starting off with scanner and CB, but never made the leap.

I'm going to start with the 101 thread and the book pictured below I got back in the 90s

I've already identified the local club. So I need a modern book/study guide, and to ID a radio. I specifically want a mobile radio, and one with all the fancy options to grow into like GPS tracks. There was a Kenwood I was looking at recently that had all that stuff: https://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/amateur/tm-d710ga/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By raffi383:

View Quote
Done.  Thank you

Sprung for an ICOM 7300 for HF and a ICOM 5100 for UHF.  Still learning D-Star and programming.  Have a tri-band dipole for 80-40-20 meters and a vertical for 2m & 70 cm up on the tower.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally getting around to studying for the Tech/General test on the 15th. I am pretty sure I can do it, as long as I stay focused.

Started looking into it in 2017 after picking up a baofeng to listen to. My grandpa was a HAM, and I have a bunch of study books from the dark ages, I am doing this in his memory, and then going to use it for my comm's kit with my buddies.

Any tips for going for both at the same time?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KPog:
Finally getting around to studying for the Tech/General test on the 15th. I am pretty sure I can do it, as long as I stay focused.

Started looking into it in 2017 after picking up a baofeng to listen to. My grandpa was a HAM, and I have a bunch of study books from the dark ages, I am doing this in his memory, and then going to use it for my comm's kit with my buddies.

View Quote
You aught to see if your gfathers license is still inactive/available and you can apply for it once you are licensed as a vanity call sign. That's what I did.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Study for the tech, use the practice exams at hamexam.org
When you are reliably passing tech at > 85% study for general.
Do the practice exams.  You'll see there is overlap.
Use the Kb6nu study guides
That is how I did tech & general in one sitting.
Don't worry if you don't understand it all.
The test isn't proof you know it all.
The test gets you a license to start your practical hands on studying.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve been reading this thread, I have just about every study app that exists downloaded on my iPad. I just ordered a UV5R, antenna, and program cable today. I’ve been looking, all my local relays are 2m and one 70cm. I think this will be a good start. I’m looking at testing Tech and maybe General on 6/20 and 7/10 depending on my work schedule.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Started looking into it in 2017 after picking up a baofeng to listen to. My grandpa was a HAM, and I have a bunch of study books from the dark ages, I am doing this in his memory,
View Quote
My grandfather was a CG Radioman 1st class on Army transports in the pacific theater in WW2, dabbled in Ham afterwards. I figure it’s a good enough day to get this started.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GrinningWolf:

Study for the tech, use the practice exams at hamexam.org
When you are reliably passing tech at > 85% study for general.
Do the practice exams.  You'll see there is overlap.
Use the Kb6nu study guides
That is how I did tech & general in one sitting.
Don't worry if you don't understand it all.
The test isn't proof you know it all.
The test gets you a license to start your practical hands on studying.
View Quote
Super helpful, and this is what I have been doing. I have been retaking the exams over and over, in addition to reading the book to fill in the knowledge gaps. Right now I figure I can go for the license and get more learned up before I start really getting into setting it all up on a base station.

Not really sure what I would do for an HF Antenna though. I have tall trees all around me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

My grandfather was a CG Radioman 1st class on Army transports in the pacific theater in WW2, dabbled in Ham afterwards. I figure it’s a good enough day to get this started.
View Quote
My Grandpa was the tail gunner/ machinists mate 3rd class on a TBM Avenger in the Pacific. He was into radio, machining, and guns, I miss that guy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By billth777:

You aught to see if your gfathers license is still inactive/available and you can apply for it once you are licensed as a vanity call sign. That's what I did.
View Quote
How does one go about finding that info? I do not know his old call sign or even what license class he was. I was very young then, and I just knew not to touch anything without permission in the radio room/shop.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Super helpful, and this is what I have been doing. I have been retaking the exams over and over, in addition to reading the book to fill in the knowledge gaps. Right now I figure I can go for the license and get more learned up before I start really getting into setting it all up on a base station.

Not really sure what I would do for an HF Antenna though. I have tall trees all around me.
View Quote
Thank you, glad to know when I'm helpful.
Trees and wires can go together to make wonderful antennas.  From hanging N9TAX jpoles for low cost dual band to Off Center Fed Dipoles OCFD for HF.  BTW wire antennas can be horizontal, vertical or inbetween.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:22:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KPog] [#22]
Originally Posted By GrinningWolf:

Thank you, glad to know when I'm helpful.
Trees and wires can go together to make wonderful antennas.  From hanging N9TAX jpoles for low cost dual band to Off Center Fed Dipoles OCFD for HF.  BTW wire antennas can be horizontal, vertical or inbetween.
View Quote
I have three 60' redwoods 25' from the house, as long as I can protect the wires from dog piss I should be good

Been really hammering the hamstudy app, which I have found to be a pretty amazing flashcard tool. Also the videos by W4EEY on youtube have been really helpful to watch. I have one of my buddies studying too, but he is a little behind. Honestly I am not sure if I should be focusing more on the general or the Tech. Right now I am passing the tech every time in the eighties and passing on the generals on Hamexam just barely.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Just passed the Technician test this morning. The freely available study guides were very helpful. Now I need to figure out how to use my radio before I get my call sign and can TX.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Got my tech today. Tried General, but missed a few too many.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By PaulPlays:
Got my tech today. Tried General, but missed a few too many.
View Quote
Did you take your test at the Red Cross in Hampton by chance?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By molson3530:

Did you take your test at the Red Cross in Hampton by chance?
View Quote
I sure did.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By PaulPlays:

I sure did.
View Quote
I was the fat guy in the green Polo with khaki shorts. I hope to catch you on air!
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Got Tech and General this morning! Tried for Extra, but no way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:18:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST] [#29]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:
I’ve been reading this thread, I have just about every study app that exists downloaded on my iPad. I just ordered a UV5R, antenna, and program cable today. I’ve been looking, all my local relays are 2m and one 70cm. I think this will be a good start. I’m looking at testing Tech and maybe General on 6/20 and 7/10 depending on my work schedule.
View Quote
So my UV5R+ arrived, extended battery, antenna, and N9tax. The wall charger was European 2 pin so I tried a similar AC wall adapter. It melted. Luckily, the extended battery uses 2.5mm and I have car and USB cables for that. I’m downloading CHIRP now, going to program the local repeaters and start listening. I’ve watched just about every Tech video there is on YouTube, still studying for the test.

This thing is a lot smaller than the Motorola’s we carry at work.

So now Ive got CHIRP running and I think I successfully imaged the radio with all the 2M and 70cm repeaters in the area. I’m going to program the NOAA stations tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I recalled this thread from a long time ago and looked it up because I am thinking of getting a new license.  I had one about ten years ago, but grew bored with it.  Local clubs were not of much help to the novice (Elmerless) and the whole exercise was more techy than I wanted.  Monitoring seemed constantly like the radio version of "can you hear me now?" but I dutifully got my tech license.  The high point of my entire ham experience was talking to a guy in England from my pickup truck one afternoon.

Now, with all the fucked-up weather we are having (I live on the Chesapeake Bay, so things seem even more vivid in this department) I am reminded of how helpful ham is even if you don't want to excitedly describe the fine points of an antenna you just put up.  Hurricane season around here has made me a believer.  My little baofeng just arrived today as a matter of fact and I expect to start down that road to testing again shortly.

I can see this thread is rich with just the information I need - thank you all for helping out.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tirador223:
I recalled this thread from a long time ago and looked it up because I am thinking of getting a new license.  I had one about ten years ago, but grew bored with it.  Local clubs were not of much help to the novice (Elmerless) and the whole exercise was more techy than I wanted.  Monitoring seemed constantly like the radio version of "can you hear me now?" but I dutifully got my tech license.  The high point of my entire ham experience was talking to a guy in England from my pickup truck one afternoon.

Now, with all the fucked-up weather we are having (I live on the Chesapeake Bay, so things seem even more vivid in this department) I am reminded of how helpful ham is even if you don't want to excitedly describe the fine points of an antenna you just put up.  Hurricane season around here has made me a believer.  My little baofeng just arrived today as a matter of fact and I expect to start down that road to testing again shortly.

I can see this thread is rich with just the information I need - thank you all for helping out.
View Quote
If you live on the Peninsula you should check out SPARK or PARC. I have only had my license for about a month and both of them have been very helpful.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By variable:
I am in central WI. I am looking for a face to face instruction. I also have a bit of short term memory loss due to my military past. Will it be a huge obstacle to getting my license?

Thanks
V
OUT
View Quote
What about a youtube video series or two?

Watching the videos by W4EEY along with Hamstudy on my phone got me General Link

The Hamstudy app is probably the most worth it to me with the videos filling in the gaps.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:26:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnStoner] [#33]
This is interesting to me.

Is the KB6NU No Nonsense License Study Guide by Dan Romanchik worth a look?

https://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Got my General about 5 years ago because of this thread. Thinking about upgrading to Extra just because. Do I keep the same callsign if I upgrade?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#35]
You can choose to keep your current call sign or be assigned a random one as the examiners fill out your paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JohnStoner:
This is interesting to me.

Is the KB6NU No Nonsense License Study Guide by Dan Romanchik worth a look?

https://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/118790/Screenshot_20190814-082909_Drive_jpg-1053971.JPG
View Quote
Absolutely.  Nothing extra, just what you need to know to pass the exams.
I used all 3 of his guides to get from no license to tech/general in one sitting and then extra years later.
Paired up with hamexam.org and this forum's help.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Decided to finally take the leap and go for my tech license.  The test is September 5th.  I downloaded the No Nonsense study guide and it does a great job of making things clear for someone like me who thinks electricity is dark magic.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Am finishing reading the ARRL Tech book and am consistently scoring very highly on online exams, so I'm signing up to take my test in two weeks (nearest/soonest one). Also thinking of preparing for the General exam too, and just knocking them both out (I'm a researcher in mechanical engineering with a decent education in electrical engineering as well, so most of the stuff is second nature to me).

I currently have a baofeng uv5r, but have played with trying to program the stupid thing enough to know I would love something better if I can get it. Going to start a separate thread to discuss what things I ought to pursue in terms of capabilities.

Thanks for giving me the impetus/confidence that I could just pick up the book and do this!
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
Am finishing reading the ARRL Tech book and am consistently scoring very highly on online exams, so I'm signing up to take my test in two weeks (nearest/soonest one). Also thinking of preparing for the General exam too, and just knocking them both out
Thanks for giving me the impetus/confidence that I could just pick up the book and do this!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Am finishing reading the ARRL Tech book and am consistently scoring very highly on online exams, so I'm signing up to take my test in two weeks (nearest/soonest one). Also thinking of preparing for the General exam too, and just knocking them both out
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
Decided to finally take the leap and go for my tech license.  The test is September 5th.
You can both easily hit general before your test dates. I had a total of ~8 hours of study for general and I scored 33/35.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Am finishing reading the ARRL Tech book and am consistently scoring very highly on online exams, so I'm signing up to take my test in two weeks (nearest/soonest one). Also thinking of preparing for the General exam too, and just knocking them both out (I'm a researcher in mechanical engineering with a decent education in electrical engineering as well, so most of the stuff is second nature to me).

I currently have a baofeng uv5r, but have played with trying to program the stupid thing enough to know I would love something better if I can get it. Going to start a separate thread to discuss what things I ought to pursue in terms of capabilities.

View Quote
@RocketmanOU

Buy the cable and get Chirp, then it's easy. I never attempted to program mine manually, i got the cable when I got the radio six years ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Going for broke on all 3 exams next week.  I do have a bit of a leg up though...been working with radios/RF spectrum communications for the last 6 years, including building field expedient and mobile/fixed site antennas.  Hoping to do this thing in all one go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:07:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthCRF] [#42]
Going for all 3 today thanks to reading all of you on this forum. Confident on tech and general. Not holding hope for extra, but will attempt. Extra seems to be a very broad load of information, and as I tried to cram it, my practice test scores on the others started dropping. Stopped studying extra and I consistently hit 33-35 correct.

Will update this (Friday) evening. Thanks again for all the info, y'all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Decided to finally take the leap and go for my tech license.  The test is September 5th.  I downloaded the No Nonsense study guide and it does a great job of making things clear for someone like me who thinks electricity is dark magic.
View Quote
@alemonkey

Well, how did you do?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By elcope:
@alemonkey

Well, how did you do?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By elcope:
@alemonkey

Well, how did you do?
Aced it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Update: just took tech and gen. Passed both. Did not attempt extra at this time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#46]
congrats....
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Good job!  Welcome to the hobby!
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Aced it!
View Quote
Sweet!
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Extra is no joke.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Extra is no joke.....
View Quote
My eye balls hurt after taking the test.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top