User Panel

Site Notices
Pay it forward HAM RADIO (Page 7 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tesla120:
Guys looking for a manual, check out KB6NU's no nonsense study guide.  It's free online and will teach you rather than engrained questions and answers.
View Quote

(NOTE- When you print out these guides, yes, print them... use a Magic Marker to black out all the wrong answers.  This way you study only the correct answers and everything else looks unfamiliar.  Seriously, print, black out, study.  Just take my word for it and do it.)

Study Guides - You need the question pool AND the graphics on each of these pages.  Some questions in the pool will refer to the diagrams or schematics on the graphics page.

Tech:

http://ncvec.org/page.php?id=362       2014 Tech Test Pool

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v1.0.pdf

General:  

http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=358      2011 General Test Pool

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2011-No-Nonsense-General-Class-License-Study-Guide-v14.pdf

Extra:

http://www.arrl.org/files/media/News/REVISED_2012-2016_Extra_Class_Pool.pdf    2012 Extra Test Pool

and

http://kb6nu.com/extra-class-easypass-how-everybody-can-be-an-extra/

http://www.kb6nu.com/product/no-nonsense-extra-class-license-study-guide-pdf/
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WING25C] [#2]
Anyone with a Yaesu FT-1900?  I have RT Systems cable and software in hand that I don't need any longer and rather than go through pain of trying to sell it to someone I will ship it off to you, after the crap weather here goes away because I am not going out in the cold much the next two days to get supplies to mail it.  This setup is excess to my needs.  Please PM me if interested when that happens first come first served via times on message and I will update here.

Taken by km
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By WING25C:

Anyone with a Yaesu FT-1900?  I have RT Systems cable and software in hand that I don't need any longer and rather than go through pain of trying to sell it to someone I will ship it off to you, after the crap weather here goes away because I am not going out in the cold much the next two days to get supplies to mail it.  This setup is excess to my needs.  Please PM me if interested when that happens first come first served via times on message and I will update here.
Taken by km

View Quote
Got it yesterday,  Thanks.  That isn't a hard radio to program but having 3 of them this will help.  1 is mobile,  1 APRS repeater and one is the crossband link radio for the 44o repeater.  You are helping me keep the 2 meter link and digipeater on the air.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: km] [#4]

Knight Grid dip meter and coils. Taken by HankEllis

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HankEllis] [#5]
Who Wants to Build a Resistance Decade Box?

I built one of these resistance decade boxes a while back for prototyping circuits. Have extra parts that need to be passed on.
http://www.digitalunderpants.com/diy-resistor-substitution-decade-box/

What you'll get is 7 decade switches. All the resistors from 1 ohm to 1 megohm that you need. A couple of banana jacks. A small piece of wire to wire it up with. Don't be surprised if there is a some unrelated lagnaippe in the box also.

You'll have to come up with the box to put it in. I used a 1-gang electrical outlet box from Home Depot that cost just over a dollar plus a spare face plate I had laying around.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-18-cu-in-1-Gang-PVC-Old-Work-Outlet-Box-with-Bracket-B118B-UPC/100404148?N=5yc1vZbohnZ1z115vz

The guy who designed this box is also selling completed units. I think the price is retarded. I did it for less than $20 and had spare parts left over.
https://www.tindie.com/products/redrocketlabs/resistance-decade-box-resistor-substitution-box/

As you guys may know I use dirt cheap Asian components for my experimentation. Problem with that is that some of the components are out of spec. I ohmed out every resistor and what you'll get is within 1% of stated resistance.

First PM gets it.  Taken by Kaynelius.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Anybody want to pickup the beginnings of a portable HAM shack?

I have two SKB brand transit cases with internal server racks, assorted fans, drawers, pull out keyboard tray(functional when last checked).  Includes both latching end caps for each case.  This stuff has been sitting for a few years and I would be happy to reclaim the space and help out another member.  Due to size and logistics, I am not looking to ship this stuff. Pickup would be about 10 or so minutes west from Potomac Mills Mall in Woodbridge, Virginia(22192).  

PM me if interested

Thx!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Blitzkreig:

I have two SKB brand transit cases with internal server racks, assorted fans, drawers, pull out keyboard tray(functional when last checked).  Includes both latching end caps for each case.  This stuff has been sitting for a few years and I would be happy to reclaim the space and help out another member.  Due to size and logistics, I am not looking to ship this stuff. Pickup would be about 10 or so minutes west from Potomac Mills Mall in Woodbridge, Virginia(22192).  

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/jmzsmith/IMG_11051_zpsstr9vkgq.jpg

PM me if interested

Thx!
View Quote

DAMN. i would love to have that but wont be up that way till the end of the month. that right there is a nice PIF.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#8]

PM me if interested

Thx!
View Quote

Arrgh I need friends in Virginia I would love to get one of those.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:50:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jazzemt] [#9]

PM me if interested

Thx!
View Quote

I would gladly pay for shipping on the smaller box. Too bad I do not have any friends out that way.

PM Sent.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]

PM me if interested

Thx!
View Quote

If you still have it around the time of CWE (9/17) I'd be happy to pick them up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]
im(and the wife she is REALLY hoping) is hoping he still has them in 18 days when we head to Bmore for my last Dr's appt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eet-ee] [#12]
New Biostar A68I-350 Deluxe mini-ITX motherboard.  I bought this several years ago for a HTPC and just never got to the project.  I opened up the box and looked at the board, but it has never been mounted in a case. Includes everything that originally came in the box.  The motherboard has built in CPU and graphics, USB3, SATA3 and HDMI.  Here is a link to the Biostar page:

Biostar motherboard specs

This is one of the last items from Spring/Summer cleaning that didn't sell, and I have no space for it.  IM me if you can use it.

claimed, will ship on Friday
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:29:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mylt1] [#13]
Originally Posted By phurba:

If you still have it around the time of CWE (9/17) I'd be happy to pick them up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By phurba:

PM me if interested

Thx!

he doesnt. LOL. they are now residing in my living room. HOLY HELL the pic didnt give me a good scale of size. these things are HUGE. the small one is getting my FT-100D, tuner, and PS mounted in it and probably a battery or two. the down side is once everything is in place i dont think i will be able to carry it by myself. LOL. the large one, i have no Fing idea what im going to do with that one. LOL

some pics to make you all jealous. LOL

thanks to Blitzkreig for this way above and beyond for a PIF.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Welcome, glad they went to a good home It was nice meeitng the frau and the pup.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Got the mb today. Now to get busy and put a computer together.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the original instruction manuals for the Icom IC-2A/AT/E and the BC-30 battery pack charger. IM me.

(These were old units when I got my license; they were the first HT I bought and have disposed of them since. Lots of guys still use them for their home BBS.)
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Just wanted to bump this thread because of the two book give-aways in as many days.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 7:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DanishM1Garand] [#18]
My BaoFeng charger took a shit.  

Anyone with a bad radio and a working charger want to help me out?  I'll pay shipping.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone want an Extra Class License manual?  It has the old question pool, but the theory hasn't changed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:

Anyone with a bad radio and a working charger want to help me out?  I'll pay shipping.
View Quote

For which model?

I have spare UV5R and GT3 chargers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

For which model?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:
Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:

For which model?

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#22]
If anyone is needing short term use of an antenna analyser, I have a MFJ 259b which sits on the shelf too much.  Let me know and we can work something out.

It has already visited about half a dozen other ARFCOMers so you might as well be next.

PM me your shipping address and I will get it on the way, you just have to pay return shipping (or shipping to the next ARFCOMer as happened at one point)

JLE
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Who needs an Extra class study manual.
I have both the ARRL manual and the Gordon West book.
I'll ship both free to the first person to PM me.
I don't need them anymore, passed the test yesterday
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#24]
PM sent.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Who needs an Extra class study manual.
View Quote

Manuals going to Dispatch.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Free to good home -

ARRL Ham Radio License Manual (Technician Class study materials)

Gordon West study guide for the General Class

Both are for the current question pool.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:21:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pilotman] [#27]

Edit - gone!

Free - dummy load resistor kit for 100W HF rigs

Make your own dummy load with these resistors (20x 1K O 3W metal film resistors), a paint can, an SO-239 a few pieces of scrap copper and some mineral oil (although I used vegetable oil and it didn't spoil or cause any issues)

Same kit you would buy here (although I don't have the diode) for $13 + shipping, in fact that's where I bought these: Look towards the bottom of the page, third item from the bottom

See here for construction details

Nothing wrong with them, other than they are a little oily.  Worked fine for me, now I have an amp so I'm building a high powered dummy.  Even works well enough for VHF (although resistance isn't optimum and the SWR climbs a bit it will work in a pinch)

PM me your address and they are yours
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:25:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#28]
Originally Posted By fishsticks:
Free to good home -

ARRL Ham Radio License Manual (Technician Class study materials)

Gordon West study guide for the General Class

Both are for the current question pool.
View Quote

Can I grab this? My wife and son are interested! They aren't ready for the General Class yet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#29]
This will bump this thread to keep it out of the archive.  I think we all have something to share that someone else may need.

I got 20 of these from China.  Pic already got 2 of them from me.  

I will offer those of you who work QRP with a KX3, KX2 or other comparable radio 2 of them shipped in an envelope.  Offer good to the first 2 who respond.  This isn[t unlimited since the shipping for 2 of them costs me nearly as much as 20 and shipping did from China.

All I'm going to ask is that those who get them offer something to our arfhams here in Pay it Forward.

What I'm offering are the small push button adapters.  Not the original Elecraft ones.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By km:
This will bump this thread to keep it out of the archive.  I think we all have something to share that someone else may need.

I will offer those of you who work QRP with a KX3, KX2 or other comparable radio 2 of them shipped in an envelope.  Offer good to the first 2 who respond.  This isn[t unlimited since the shipping for 2 of them costs me nearly as much as 20 and shipping did from China.

All I'm going to ask is that those who get them offer something to our arfhams here in Pay it Forward.

What I'm offering are the small push button adapters.  Not the original Elecraft ones.
View Quote

I'd love to have a set, if still available by the time I click "Submit".
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By RickTinsley:
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By km:

PM me your contact information so I can send them.  One more pair available.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By km:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By km:

Originally Posted By km:

anyone else for a pair of them?  I will be taking a bunch of packages to the PO tomorrow so if I know in time they can go out with the others.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#33]
If anyone can use them I have one set of  two AA battery holders and a connector clip (9v style) that can be soldered to whatever size barrel connector that suits your needs.

I use them like so as portable packs for QRP rigs.  

Eight 1.5v AAs=12v so it works for all of my QRP stuff -- even the KX3.

I'll send them postage paid to the first taker.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#34]
If anyone can use them I have one set of  two AA battery holders and a connector clip (9v style) that can be soldered to whatever size barrel connector that suits your needs.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/wrtinsley/payitforward1.jpg

I use them like so as portable packs for QRP rigs.  

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/wrtinsley/fullbatterypack.jpg

Eight 1.5v AAs=12v so it works for all of my QRP stuff -- even the KX3.

I'll send them postage paid to the first taker.

View Quote

I'll take them if you still have them.  That is exactly what I need to get my MFJ analyzer working again, since the crappy battery holders fell apart.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By km:
anyone else for a pair of them?  I will be taking a bunch of packages to the PO tomorrow so if I know in time they can go out with the others.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By km:
Originally Posted By km:
Originally Posted By km:

I just ordered a KX3 so I'll take em if you've still got em.  Unless dammac751 wants them, since you linked him here in that other thread.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#36]

I just ordered a KX3 so I'll take em if you've still got em.  Unless dammac751 wants them, since you linked him here in that other thread.
View Quote

I have no need for them Beefington. He can send them your way if he still has them.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Beefington:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beefington:

Originally Posted By km:

Originally Posted By km:

Originally Posted By km:

Send me a pm with your address

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Just wanted to thank RickTinsley... the battery holders arrived today and my MFJ-259 was back in working order shortly thereafter.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Thank you km.  I received the doodads yesterday and must say, they are higher quality than I assumed they would be, coming from China for so cheap.  I'm going to try them out today to break in my new KX3!

Now to dig through my ham gear pile and get some stuff listed on this thread.  

Anybody need an Icom BC-119 (note: not BC-119N!) cradle charger?  I bought it on eBay thinking it was a BC-119N and don't need it.  Link to the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191892599497?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got a bunch of assorted panel meters, (analog with the needle, LOL) that need new homes. Let me know what you need and I'll check to see if I have it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Not looking for a handout but I have been wanting to get into HF for a while but I cant seen to find anything I can afford. If anyone has an old radio they can let go cheap please let me know, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm cleaning out a bunch of stuff, so I may add more to this later.  All free for the taking, though if I find something heavy I might ask that you cover shipping.

For now:

NMO through-roof antenna mount.  This is the button kind you have to drill a hole for.  Comes with the NMO mount, cover with rubber seal, and probably about 10 feet or so of RG-58a.  No end, you'll need to solder a plug on it to match whatever you need.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By dreadpiratejeff:
I'm cleaning out a bunch of stuff, so I may add more to this later.  All free for the taking, though if I find something heavy I might ask that you cover shipping.

For now:

NMO through-roof antenna mount.  This is the button kind you have to drill a hole for.  Comes with the NMO mount, cover with rubber seal, and probably about 10 feet or so of RG-58a.  No end, you'll need to solder a plug on it to match whatever you need.
View Quote
I'd love an nmo mount.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have an ARRL extra book they arn't using? I'll pay shipping.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Yorknoken:
I'd love an nmo mount.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yorknoken:
Originally Posted By dreadpiratejeff:

For now:

I'd love an nmo mount.
And it's yours.  Now to see what else I have laying around that isnt going to get sold.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:25:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCWolverine] [#46]
We Need MOAR of this, so I'll go next!

I  have One (1)  Motorola VHF rigs with all accessories that I had too hoped to use for APRS/Packet (with no love from local shops) So it goes here too!  Shipping on you!

Motorola Pic 1

Motorola Pic 2

IM/Email for further info
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 10:42:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCWolverine] [#47]
New Bao-Sux 888 UHF HT $Free, you ship.

claimed by leftytheking
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 7:43:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCWolverine] [#48]
Tait 346 Series UHF Repeater Cabinet, 2 ea TX Units, 2 ea RX Units.

I bought and shipped from AK.  Don't ask me why-I'm not really sure.

I'm really tired of looking at it and moving it around in my shack.

If you'll pay the shipping (and any packaging materials) You Can Have It!

I know nothing about it other than it's in my way.  If I remember correctly someone here is familiar and I'm sure there is info on the net to glean from.

This would not be an easy/beginner project.  The repeater is Crystal Controlled.  Beyond that, someone please take my stuff!

ETA: Checking Shipping for MCSquared 3-11-18
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:49:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCWolverine] [#49]
2016-2018 W5YI Ham It Up Extra Class Study Material wtih GORDO.

Claimed by kingairpilot
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 11:05:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCWolverine] [#50]
Samlex 1223 12VDC Power Supply with Blown Caps.  

Claimed by GrinningWolf
Page / 9
Pay it forward HAM RADIO (Page 7 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top