Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 1:19:24 PM EDT
Hi guys

Does anyone here have any experience with the 9.3x62 Mauser?

What is the recoil like on the 9.3x62? How does the recoil on the 9.3x62 stack up to the .375 H&H?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag

I'm curious too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I own a CZ-550 in 9.3 x 62.

Recoil is akin to a .30-06.

The 9.3 is not as powerful as the .375 (3500 ft/lbs versus 4200 ft/lbs respectively), but I wouldn't flinch from using it on anything short of the Big 5 in Africa.

A 270 grain bullet at 2400 fps ain't nothing to sneeze at. I shot a griz in AK and several hogs here in FL with it and it put'em all down authoritatively.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I would compare the recoil and performance closer to the 35 Whelen.  They are both so close to one another that they are hard to distinguish.  

Recoil from the two rifles I shot were more than a 30-06 but not that bad.  One of the rifles was a heavier Mauser while the other was a lighter weight CZ 550.  The later had a bit more recoil but not bad enough for me not to want to continue shooting it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Have always been intrigued by this cartridge.  Would love to have a Sauer 90 in it.  I do have a WWII Czech BRNO Mauser 98 action sitting in the safe that I would love to build into a 9.3x62.  Would be cheaper for me to get a current CZ rifle instead.

CD
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Zastava makes a stainless Mauser in it. I would to have one, but the only importer says he would need to order 30 of them to bring them in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zastava makes a stainless Mauser in it. I would to have one, but the only importer says he would need to order 30 of them to bring them in.
View Quote
What would the price be if he brought 30 in?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hi guys

Does anyone here have any experience with the 9.3x62 Mauser?

What is the recoil like on the 9.3x62? How does the recoil on the 9.3x62 stack up to the .375 H&H?

Thanks!
View Quote
I have a beautiful CZ550 American in 9.3 x 62 topped with a Leupold VXII 2.5-8 x 39 with the standard single-set trigger.

First a little history;

The cartridge dates to 1905 Germany when Otto Bock developed a round for German East Africa colonists that needed an all-around gun for pest control and table meat. His round could be chambered in surplus Mausers which the colonist had aplenty, as opposed to spending their life savings on a more traditional British double rifle. The combo proved immensely popular and successfully took everything on the Dark Continent. It also gained popularity with northern Europeans to hunt moose, elk and caribou. Its still popular in Germany for wild boar hunts (some great videos on YouTube) and in Canada. It is starting to gain a following in the USA so now there is a wide selection of ammo and reloading components available.

The recoil is a tad bit more than the .30-'06, though the cases are nearly identical. The energy level though is a whole 'nother dimension. Reloading is a huge benefit given that factory ammo is pretty steep (one exception is Graf & Sons who are currently offering 20-rd boxes of Prvi Partizan ammo for just under $25 per (its good ammo and the brass is great for reloading. I bought 5 boxes)). Available bullets run from 270-grain up to 330-grains, including dangerous game solids. There is TONS of information, stories, reloading tips, etc. available with a Google search. Websites like accuratereloading.com and africahunting.com feature this cartridge prominently.

By the way, it will take ANY game in North America, including all the largest bears. It does this with modest velocities and pressures that don't beat you up like the big magnums. Because of the heavy bullets and medium velocities, shots should be taken at 400 yards or less.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I own a CZ-550 in 9.3 x 62.

Recoil is akin to a .30-06.

The 9.3 is not as powerful as the .375 (3500 ft/lbs versus 4200 ft/lbs respectively), but I wouldn't flinch from using it on anything short of the Big 5 in Africa.

A 270 grain bullet at 2400 fps ain't nothing to sneeze at. I shot a griz in AK and several hogs here in FL with it and it put'em all down authoritatively.
View Quote
Do you have the Full Stock, Battue or American?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What would the price be if he brought 30 in?
View Quote
Just noticed this question. It would be around $700
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Sako 85 Black Bear in that caliber. Absolutely love the it. Recoil is very manageable, though I would say a bit more than 30-06. It has dropped 3 elk and a pronghorn. It does require quite a bit of holdover once you start reaching.Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top