Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2022 11:39:02 AM EDT
I have 0 wood working skills.  Not only that I also don't have saws etc to construct anything. This bothers me on a fundamental level.  I'm not completely mechanically incompetent but I'm not particularly handy either.  I had 2 trees dropped a couple of weeks ago and have been splitting the wood for our fireplace.  My existing  "uncovered" firewood rack is not going to hold all of the wood I have from the trees.  I need a new wood rack w/metal roof and have been looking at plans/videos of a variety of designs for this simple firewood rack.  Watching these very capable people using their skill and tools to build this is a little disheartening.  For one I would need lots of tools that I don't have and wouldn't have the skill to operate anyway.

I know this is a very significant failure as a homeowner/man.  I've been considering buying all the tools and attempting to build this myself but I'm pretty sure it would look like a retarded monkey built it if I did this myself.  Another option is paying someone to build it , probably a comparable amount of money that the tools would cost.  I do have the desire to acquire the skills to build a basic structure. Should I invest in the tools and give it a go myself (i.e. retarded monkey construction)?
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
you're over thinking.  just do something simple
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy four of these, enough lumber to make it the length of what you want.  Toss a tarp over it and call it good.  They do make covers for standard sizes if you're so inclined.

ETA. a standard cord is 4x4x8 and 2x4's come in 8 foot lengths, it makes it simple.  5 and you can make a rack to store a cord.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
This is an opportunity to pick up some tools and to work on your skills.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Not covered, but that's an easy fix.  I use these.  Cheap, easy to assemble, scalable, and I simply construct/disassemble them as needed.

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
.dupe
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
great idea on a simple rack. Still need a cover for mine and didn't want to throw a tarp over it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:22:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Up at the cabin, I made this out of 8 pallets, 1 sheet of plywood some shingles & some scrap wood. You would need a screw gun, screws, hammer & roofing nails.
You can make it bigger with more pallets. I hang a tarp across the front.

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#8]
How do you feel about pallet racks?

https://www.sampsonind.com/firewood-rack.html
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#9]
"I do have the desire to acquire the skills to build a basic structure."

There is your answer.

Pick a design you like and go for it!

The worst that will happen is it turns out crooked or something
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to do something like this next year, but probably go 10x20.

https://gardenplansfree.com/storage/8x16-firewood-shed-plans-6-cord-wood-shed-plans/

lots of plans online
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have any friends that have the tools and knowledge of how to do it? Maybe if you bought the tools a friend of two could give you a hand and some tips. A steak cooked over wood and a beer or two after work could be a good incentive maybe.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#12]
You said you didn't want a tarp, so this probably out, but my structures consist of 4 T posts, one cattle panel, one tarp, some tie wire and zip ties.  Tools needed are a T post driver and a pair of pliers.  2 Pallets for under the wood are preferable but optional.  One guy can build one in a half hour and it will hold a little over a cord (I think).
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You said you didn't want a tarp, so this probably out, but my structures consist of 4 T posts, one cattle panel, one tarp, some tie wire and zip ties.  Tools needed are a T post driver and a pair of pliers.  2 Pallets for under the wood are preferable but optional.  One guy can build one in a half hour and it will hold a little over a cord (I think).
View Quote

Granted the OP is in the south, but unsupported tarps generally can't handle a snow load unless they are steeply slanted.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I used the concrete block and 2x4 method.    

Made it 7 feet long and threw a piece of corrugated roofing on top, weighted down with a few pieces of wood or t post.  

Worked well for me.  As other poster mentioned it’s nice that the structure can easily be disassembled when you are through with it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Granted the OP is in the south, but unsupported tarps generally can't handle a snow load unless they are steeply slanted.
View Quote

The cattle panel is laid on the ground, then 2 posts are driven on 1 of the narrow sides, then the side without posts is pushed towards the side near the posts.  This creates an upside down "U".  The other 2 posts are driven to hold the panel.  The tarp is then tied off to the panel.  Once the "U" is filled with wood all the way to the top, a snow load lays on top of the tarp, which is on top of the panel, which is being supported by firewood.  So the firewood is supporting the snow load, the cattle panel and tarp are just squished in between.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Pics of what I described above:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sorry to hijack OP, I know you specifically said you weren't looking for something with a tarp, but I figured I'd post a pic in case anyone else was interested.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pics of what I described above:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243487/1_jpg-2404115.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243487/2_jpg-2404116.JPG
Sorry to hijack OP, I know you specifically said you weren't looking for something with a tarp, but I figured I'd post a pic in case anyone else was interested.
View Quote

slick.  Thanks for the pics.

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#18]
OP.

I am getting ready to build a wood storage structure,
like you describe. I am going to use black locust "posts"
for the vertical columns & upper cross members that
I will cut down on my property within 50 feet of the
site. The cost will be the gas the cut them down &
move them with my 4 wheeler.

FYI for cost reduction suggestion.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#19]
so many great ideas in this thread. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Find some pallets (always easy to find, you don't even have to buy them because people throw them out all the time).  Screw or nail them together (long screws with a cordless impact works best since you can remove the screws much easier; also use screws with a hex and not a phillips top).  Make a "hut" of some sort, and you can even use old greenhouse panels (again, that are either very cheap or someone throws out) over the "roof" part of the hut.  Keep some light coming in so you can see in there, but also blocks rain from getting your wood wet.

Pallets are usually treated wood which is nice, and they will allow airflow through them to season your wood.  Super cheap way to build a firewood storage area that can be covered easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top