User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stupid squirrels...  I got some survey flags today to mark where I had planted the walnuts.  I had put 4 to 6 in each hole. Looks like the squirrels found them all.  I just kicked dirt back in the hole.  Hopefully I'll find out they missed a few next year.  Stupid squirrels...
View Quote

Bury a few in 6" pots (or plastic coffee cans, or ...) and let them sit over the winter on the back porch or in the garage or something.  Next spring you could have some seedlings to work with instead of trying to protect your nuts.  
_____
ETA:  Another option is to buy seedlings.  Missouri Dept. of Conservation sells a lot of different varieties of MO tree species, dirt cheap compared to commercial nurseries:

MDC tree seedlings

Many are showing as sold out right now, but that pretty much happens every year and we've never had any trouble receiving seedlings the following spring when ordering in fall.  As an example, Black Walnut seedlings are a buck each in the minimum quantity of 10.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$20/100 pounds. Highest price I’ve ever seen. Slow going up here. The hulling station said we were only the second people in all week. They did 60,000 pounds last year
View Quote

Pecans for the win. Going for over a dollar per pound. Good ones over 2 or 3 dollars per pound.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I planted two acres of black walnut with my kids by using one of those big plastic whiffle ball bars. Had about a dozen of those trees at my old place , what a mess they were.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top