User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
8' electric fence, hot lines every 18" and ground lines between each hot. Serves as a physical and electrical barrier.

Its the only thing that works for me.
View Quote

I'm going to quote myself to say even the above isnt perfect. A deer got in last night and nibbled on a bunch of first year grapes, luckily they'll all survive but the fact remains that short of motion sensing gun turrets, life finds a way.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm going to quote myself to say even the above isnt perfect. A deer got in last night and nibbled on a bunch of first year grapes, luckily they'll all survive but the fact remains that short of motion sensing gun turrets, life finds a way.
View Quote

The bastards! I took a 4 day weekend to camp and fish with family I look forward to checking my garden/trail cam/electric fence tomorrow
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what to say to this.

I have been shocked by a LOT Of electric fences.

"Hot" is a term most people use to mean "This has more ________ than something else."  This has more juice. This packs more of a punch. This chemical is more likely to burn grass.

I have no idea what I said that might make you believe I think a fence that pushes Alternating Current through a wire actually becomes hot with regard to temperature, but....that's not what I meant.  

I'm not inclined to speak in terms that are absolutely literal at all times.  Sorry for the confusion.

View Quote

It was the below that lead me to think that.

Quoted:
 Had no idea duct tape wouldn't melt/fry).
View Quote

Because the fence doesn't actually get hot the tape won't melt or fry, that would require a source of heat.

And small clarification, the fence doesn't have AC current on it. AC fence chargers rectify it to DC and use an inductance coil to amplify the voltage into super short pulses of high voltage DC. But even then, DC is a bit of a misnomer bc it's such a short pulse or burst.

Have you ever seen how a ram pump works to pump water uphill w/o any external energy source except the water flowing down? It's the same principle except with electrons. Electrons flowing on a wire have "inertia" as well but it's called inductance. If you let them flow freely on a long length of wire (often in the form of a coil) then slam the switch shut, the voltage spikes really high.

ETA, I realize this is a little off-topic, just thought it was a good place to throw in the operating principles of a fence charger for anyone that is curious.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use electric fence with added goodies-- take a few 4 to 6 inch squares of stiff aluminum foil and bend into a v shape.  Put a dollop of peanut butter in the v, then hang them upside down on the fence wire.  It's rather fun watching them investigate the foil...
View Quote
I was going to post this. A folded pie plate with peanut butter inside, hung on the hot wire attracts them and the shock tells them it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was a kid we had a pretty large sweet corn garden (large for a family corn garden that wasn't going to be sold), maybe about an acre and a half. The deer would decimate that thing sometimes. We used to stick a battery-powered radio out there at night. Honestly don't remember just how effective it was, but I remember we kept on doing it so maybe it helped.

Thinking about trying the same thing in the potato patch this year. Last year the deer starting eating the potato plants. I think that was the first time I ever remember them doing that, and they seem to have developed a taste for it because they're doing it again this year. Might give the radio thing a shot, that's the quickest/easiest thing to try I think.

Could also try sitting out there a couple nights with the PVS14 and shoot them with a paintball gun. That might throw them off. And if it doesn't, it will still be fun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
We have a small garden that i put in this year specifically designed to be low maintenance as it's on our vacant land and we live half an hour away so I usually only make it up a couple of times a week.  We've had some deer parties happening on our cell based trail cam, they haven't eaten any of the kitchen garden but they've browsed some of the ornamental bulbs that are popping up.  I picked up some fish emulsion fertilizer.  It's supposed to be a deer deterrent in addition to fertilizing the plants.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top