Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:46:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#1]
Are you doing rigid foam on the outside? If so, you need to move the windows out to make up for the foam thickness. Also, look up proper window flashing. Depending on your siding, you may have leaks as it is now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:52:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

OP, you may eventually get some sag with that, but hopefully not this first winter.

Fingers crossed.

My main concern is the top roof beam that runs from front to back.  Hoping that's not just a 2 X 4 because I'm afraid it wont' take your snow load.

Maybe it will...others can chime in.  Don't want the roof falling in on you, for certain.
View Quote
Looks like 2x4, but I think there are 3 of them so with such a small span he might be ok.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The up right supports are there laminated 2x 4’s, the ridge beam is three laminated 2x6’s.... the span is 9 ft on each of them.....
It should sustain for the time being.
I hope!!! 😳
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:09:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#6]
Well, after 16 days I can say that I am officially dried in!!

My “yurt” is weather proof.....although I still have a 20x 28 rain fly to put up this afternoon..... it has been a hard push the last 5 days or so and I am exhausted and rather beaten up...lol, knocking on 50 is sure a sobering feeling.....

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

It’s been a hell of a start to my journey and my next project will be the thermal mass rocket heater and getting the insulation up... However, the next couple days will be a little R&R.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Are you doing rigid foam on the outside? If so, you need to move the windows out to make up for the foam thickness. Also, look up proper window flashing. Depending on your siding, you may have leaks as it is now.
View Quote
The windows are just roughed in.... I will be adjsting them, putting up the flashing and sealing them properly in a day or two...
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#8]
What is your plan for the exterior where you currently have tyvek?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Davidrw5150:

The windows are just roughed in.... I will be adjsting them, putting up the flashing and sealing them properly in a day or two...
View Quote

Enjoying your thread!
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By swampfox3:
View Quote
The front and back will most likely be a board and batten ‘charred’ (shoshugi- ban?!?) and the sides under the tent will most likely be remnant corrugated steel if I can get it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok.... been another busy day.... since I got the tent up this morning, and........

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I got the fly up!!! Now I am truly dried in and can start my insulating and finishing the doors and windows properly.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]

That's awesome!

You are so smart to take some days off.  You still have time before winter, and now if you get weather, you're okay.

We made the mistake of going nonstop on our house when we bought it, and the result is, now it sits, still, with undone projects and we just don't wanna.  We lost the energy because we took no time for ourselves.

Good choices you are making.  
View Quote
You are so right! I pushed so hard the last two weeks that my hands are shredded and I ache all over. Now that it’s dried in I can work on insulation, finishing the doors and windows at a very reasonable pace. The next BIG project will be the thermal mass heater but it will probably take me longer to design it than it will to actually build it.......

Today was the last day of warm weather..... we head into fall tomorrow and winter is expected anytime now.....lol!
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Well...you need the heater done, then, right?

Do you think you can get it in before hard winter?
View Quote
Before hard winter... Yes. Before this weekends expected freeze.... not a chance. Lol
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know how much snow load that roof can handle but I'd keep an eye on it if we have a big snow winter.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Very interested in what you do with that.

And do you have internet at your homestead after all?
View Quote
Nope, no internet yet....all my postings are done when I come to town. Will have the cabin insulated today and just picked up a kerosene heater for interim heat. It was a brisk 40 outside this morning and a balmy 46 inside🤪
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Talyn:
I don't know how much snow load that roof can handle but I'd keep an eye on it if we have a big snow winter.
View Quote
Well, I don’t plan on letting it stack up. As the snow falls I’ll of course keep my eye on it. The fly is super slick so that will help out as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like you have at least a temp heat source, gonna get cold the next 24-48 hrs. This front coming through seems to have everyone in a tizzy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#22]
You have no plywood sheathing on the trusses, just open rafters?  If so I think the snow load is going to be a problem..
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By chase237:
Sounds like you have at least a temp heat source, gonna get cold the next 24-48 hrs. This front coming through seems to have everyone in a tizzy.
View Quote
Yeah I just bought a kerosene heater that he did the place up quickly and I’ll serve its purpose until I get my thermal mass built.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#24]
You are going to need a snow plow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By swampfox3:
View Quote
I have seen more than a few houses weather Idaho winter with just Tyvek.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Snowing hard here in the CDA area. Probably more where you are building. Water and heat, water and heat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
You have no plywood sheathing on the trusses, just open rafters?  If so I think the snow load is going to be a problem..
View Quote
This....
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By NRA2:
Snowing hard here in the CDA area. Probably more where you are building. Water and heat, water and heat.
View Quote
Yep, had some old coworkers text me this morning when it was coming down.

A balmy 53 this morning down here, rained almost all day though
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:25:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#29]
Hey, OP, let us know how you're making out with the snowstorm, OK. We'd hate to think you got snowed in with only a kerosun heater for heat.

Oh, and be damned careful running that Kerosun without a bit of ventilation for the carbon monoxide.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:59:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#30]
So how's the weather throughout Mighty Idaho? It's clear here; I looked out at about 0330 and it was severe clear! No precip last night, going to be partially cloudy today.

Oh, and be damned careful running that Kerosun without a bit of ventilation for the carbon monoxide.
View Quote
This. I'm sure we don't have to tell you this.
But if  you have a CO detector in your home, you'll be a HELL of a lot safer! I always had one in my home in Nuevo Mehico, in addition to the standard smoke detectors. CO detectors are cheap; hospitals are expensive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#31]
tag to see if OP packed a snow shovel.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#32]
24+ hours since OP has posted... Anyone have a snowplow?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m alive!!! Maybe 1/2” of wet snow.... 33’f this morning.... a little brisk this morning but nothing too bad, all things considered.

Thanks for all the concern....

CO is being carefully monitored ....

Snow load will be manageable as I can simply tap the canvas on the inside and it slides off..... anything heavier and a long handle scrape will pull it right off.

I’ve got 95% of the batting insulation done. Will get the blue board installed this week as well as begin construction the rocket mass heater.

Water- I have collected almost 50 gallons in the last two days and my neighbor has given me free access to his well while I’m getting setup.....

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#34]
You seem like a really handy guy and will make it. I always listened to the people that wintered in the area if I wasn't sure of what I was doing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By NRA2:
You seem like a really handy guy and will make it. I always listened to the people that wintered in the area if I wasn't sure of what I was doing.
View Quote
I’m a typical ‘Jack of All Trades’ ..... ‘master’ of one!
There are very few DIY projects that I am afraid to tackle with the right information at hand and material at hand.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad you're OK. Does anybody plow your road or do you need to snowmobile out to where you park?

Got yer shitter dug yet? You might want to make that happen before the ground freezes for the winter.

Oh, and if you build a 2 holer, you can use a regular toilet seat on one hole and closed cell foam or styrofoam on the other. The styrofoam seat is warm the instant your butt hits it...the toilet seat not so much.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
Glad you're OK. Does anybody plow your road or do you need to snowmobile out to where you park?

Got yer shitter dug yet? You might want to make that happen before the ground freezes for the winter.

Oh, and if you build a 2 holer, you can use a regular toilet seat on one hole and closed cell foam or styrofoam on the other. The styrofoam seat is warm the instant your butt hits it...the toilet seat not so much.
View Quote
There are three other families on my road and they all plow, my main responsibility is my 100 y drive... I am planning on getting a small plow but my neighbor said he would handle it for me until I do. I am helping him frame up a barn in return for that and access to his well.

My shitter is a composting toilet (5 gallon bucket, toilet seat, and cedar shavings) in my bathroom Which will eventually get built in. I have all the materials to make it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 7:14:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#38]
There are three other families on my road and they all plow, my main responsibility is my 100 y drive... I am planning on getting a small plow but my neighbor said he would handle it for me until I do. I am helping him frame up a barn in return for that and access to his well.

My shitter is a composting toilet (5 gallon bucket, toilet seat, and cedar shavings) in my bathroom Which will eventually get built in. I have all the materials to make it.
View Quote
Something 'magical' is lost living in the mountains and not having to make that early morning trek when it's 10 below zero.

One tends to light the double mantle Coleman lantern and carry it out with you...even in the daylight. It'll warm that shithouse right up.

Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#41]
What a grand adventure! I only have one question. Where's your four legged companion?
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#42]
You need insulation on the ceiling/roof. Most of your heat loss will be there and with no insulation, you'll have a lot of heat loss.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 223blackriflefan:
What a grand adventure! I only have one question. Where's your four legged companion?
View Quote
Well, she’s back in OH with my dad. Over the course of his medical issues she adopted him and I didn’t have the heart to separate them 😢. She’ll stay there and I’ll look for another eventually.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
You need insulation on the ceiling/roof. Most of your heat loss will be there and with no insulation, you'll have a lot of heat loss.
View Quote
This may sound counter intuitive..... but I’m sort of counting on that. I am building a rocket mass heater and it will ( if my calculations are even half right) the heat produced will run me out. The uninsulated roof will help regulate that and also it will keep any snow load manageable....

At least that is the plan. If I am wrong, then I pop the lid and deck and insulate it😬
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 7:44:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#45]

This may sound counter intuitive..... but I’m sort of counting on that. I am building a rocket mass heater and it will ( if my calculations are even half right) the heat produced will run me out. The uninsulated roof will help regulate that and also it will keep any snow load manageable....

At least that is the plan. If I am wrong, then I pop the lid and deck and insulate it😬
View Quote
Why not insulate and then you won't need a big heater at all? Heat rises so, while wall insulation is good, roof/attic insulation is far more important. Doesn't make sense to me to decline to insulate and then have to build an oversize heater to compensate. It's always cheaper to keep heat in than to make it.

I'd also be concerned with your roof and its watertightness. When you get snow it'll melt quickly. Hope it is waterproof.

Not trying to run down your build. Just hate to see you suffer through the winter.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#46]
With all the work and framing you did, why not go with a traditional roof and insulation?  If it’s a temp place you could turn it into a guest house down the road then...
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 4:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#47]
Why not insulate and then you won't need a big heater at all? Heat rises so, while wall insulation is good, roof/attic insulation is far more important. Doesn't make sense to me to decline to insulate and then have to build an oversize heater to compensate. It's always cheaper to keep heat in than to make it.

I'd also be concerned with your roof and its watertightness. When you get snow it'll melt quickly. Hope it is waterproof.

Not trying to run down your build. Just hate to see you suffer through the winter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By cms81586:
With all the work and framing you did, why not go with a traditional roof and insulation?  If it’s a temp place you could turn it into a guest house down the road then...
It’s basically a one off heat system that I am building and I want to see what it can do.....the cabin is more   than watertight and the thing is I have the fly set in a way that  I can insulate it in about 2 hours if I find i need too when the heater is operational.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:16:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#48]
Edit: nevermind, you are way further along than I figured you would be
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Might be too late, but I'd put some plywood up on that roof ASAP. Wind, Rain and Snow will destroy the fly and that canvas will eventually leak.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top