User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A big box trap baited with that chicken would be nice. Or if pets and legalities non a concern, a conibear attached to a bucket with that chicken in the back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something got another hen. I followed the feathers and found her. Dense woods near a rotten tree stump. Any ideas?

As fucked up as it soinds I dragged her put and set her remains by the coop. Sitting here with a shotgun in hand and pistol on the hip.

I need to get rid of this predator.

ETA: head is missing and was taken early morning (8am or so) 3-4 hours after sun rise.
A big box trap baited with that chicken would be nice. Or if pets and legalities non a concern, a conibear attached to a bucket with that chicken in the back.
that and put a trail cam by the coop, if you followed the feathers that rules out birds of prey and it's likely something big enough to carry he bird in its mouth. Probably a fox, bobcat or yote, my money is on a fox. go back where you found it and looks for holes in the ground for a den entrance, find it and its a fox.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In the daylight?

That's really strange.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something got another hen. I followed the feathers and found her. Dense woods near a rotten tree stump. Any ideas?

As fucked up as it soinds I dragged her put and set her remains by the coop. Sitting here with a shotgun in hand and pistol on the hip.

I need to get rid of this predator.

ETA: head is missing and was taken early morning (8am or so) 3-4 hours after sun rise.
In the daylight?

That's really strange.
The even wierder part is that it ran down my driveway instead of through cover, about 50-75 feet.

Yup, i'm betting that Bob cat we saw about a month ago is back.

The rest of my chicken was found by a hollow tree stump kind of "scratched" into the dirt.

ETA: what ever it was cam back last night. Hopefully I caught it on the cam
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing on the trail cam but a opossum. The hen's carcass is gone this morning though. What ever it is is slick enough to not get caught by the cam. I'm going to reposition the cam on the coop for a few day and see what I find, till then the 2 hens I have left will be locked up.

Oh, I think it got my rooster too. He disappeared Thursday night but came home yesterday morning. Was gone last night and nothing this morning. Maybe that is why they didn't finish the hen.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nothing on the trail cam but a opossum. The hen's carcass is gone this morning though. What ever it is is slick enough to not get caught by the cam. I'm going to reposition the cam on the coop for a few day and see what I find, till then the 2 hens I have left will be locked up.

Oh, I think it got my rooster too. He disappeared Thursday night but came home yesterday morning. Was gone last night and nothing this morning. Maybe that is why they didn't finish the hen.
View Quote
The possum is probably your culprit. They’re renowned chicken murderers.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't see a opossum taking out a full grown rooster and hen then dragging the hen 50-75 feet in broad daylight then through thick, thick brush.

Oh and the hens carcass was gone before the opossum showed up at 2:30a.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My bet was cat, fox or skunk.

But if they're hunting, they're hunting to eat (unless it's a domestic cat) So they should have taken more than the head.

Birds of prey normally leave ONLY feathers, not the headless body.

And none of those three normally hunt in the daytime unless they have babies to feed and are desperate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that and put a trail cam by the coop, if you followed the feathers that rules out birds of prey and it's likely something big enough to carry he bird in its mouth. Probably a fox, bobcat or yote, my money is on a fox. go back where you found it and looks for holes in the ground for a den entrance, find it and its a fox.
My bet was cat, fox or skunk.

But if they're hunting, they're hunting to eat (unless it's a domestic cat) So they should have taken more than the head.

Birds of prey normally leave ONLY feathers, not the headless body.

And none of those three normally hunt in the daytime unless they have babies to feed and are desperate.
Foxes will hunt in the day, especially if they have pups, I had a den close by my house and I'd see mom running around until about lunch time everyday, she'd be out in the morning looking for breakfast.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I couldn't see a opossum taking out a full grown rooster and hen then dragging the hen 50-75 feet in broad daylight then through thick, thick brush.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t know about a possum dragging one, but as far as the killing, yeah they’ll kill everything in your coop. They’re tougher than the toughest rooster. There’s no chicken they can’t and won’t overpower. Like many other predators, they will often be wasteful with their kills and leave several dead ones with minimal feeding.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#11]
smart as they come, you'll have to conibear or shoot that one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Smoke that bastard.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As a poster in GD put it:  "If chickens could grow to 100 lbs, after a while, the Earth would be populated solely by 100 lbs chickens."

View Quote
Can you imagine, 100# Guinnee Fowl?
That's kind of scary.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Think I’ve killed five of those this year for killing birds

Last one I shot two on back to back nights but the second puked eggs everywhere when shot. I think it was sneaking in just eating eggs, WTF?  Egg counts had been down for a while and we couldn’t figure it out, counts went back up after that thief got removed.
Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top