Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 12:26:10 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone has a small scale or medium scale wind power setup.  

In my new location I don’t think I’ll ever be off grid (ever) but I’d like to be less reliant on the electric grid.  

On good days the solar should be sufficient, but there are a lot of cloudy days.  

I’d have a modest solar and wind system.  

Thoughts?   Places I should start researching?

Edit.  One reason I’m asking is I am going to build an antenna array for communication (satellite TV, cell phone booster, TV antenna).   Wondering if I should build it strong enough for wood power.   As you can tell by me building it for cell booster, I’m moderately out in the country.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the north end of the Valley. Even on days with full cloud cover, my solar panels put out sufficient power. I thought about integrating wind turbines, but it just isn't required. My system is 100% coverage, and we'll be totally off-grid once we get a battery bank.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in the north end of the Valley. Even on days with full cloud cover, my solar panels put out sufficient power. I thought about integrating wind turbines, but it just isn't required. My system is 100% coverage, and we'll be totally off-grid once we get a battery bank.
View Quote
Gotcha.  My new location is East Texas but your information still applies.  

Maybe if I go solar and try it out for a year or so.  Get some real data and then decide if it’s better to increase the solar capability or go hybrid with wind.  

I am definitely getting battery backup for instant coverage from brownouts and short black outs.   I just want enough solar to power essentials in prolonged black outs.  That’s my immediate energy goal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top