Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2017 11:51:25 PM EDT
I'm staging 4 redwoods and a spruce close by the house until spring. I figure it be best than to move them now. What's the best way to protect these little guys during the cold winter months? I was thinking about building removable barriers or enclosures to shield from the frost or heavy snow fall. Also they are not mulched. Should they be?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#2]
They're in the ground by the house. We planted them there since we didn't where we wanted to put them right away. Been there since June. This also made it easier to care for them and deter wildlife eating them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
No these are dawn redwoods. I think they avg 30 to 50 ft. They're only about knee height right now. How big of a hole are you thinking? 5 ft dia 2ft deep? Also do I not have to worry about frost damage? I was think of building a box to put over them. Put on the evening take off in the morning?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
When I plant trees I use my rear tine garden tiller and just manhandle it and bust up a large hole, usually ends up being 5'-6' diameter and almost 2' deep. I slam a few T-posts in the ground around them and put up some 5' tall fencing to keep the critters off them and can tie the tree off to the fence to keep the wind from whipping it around until the roots get well established. I've planted over 20 fruit trees and a magnolia here in the past 10 years this way and have only lost 2 trees the whole time. I also plant in the very early spring normally but this time of year would probably work too. Our soil here in mid Tn is probably very similar to yours, mostly clay. I used the tree stake fertilizer for the first few years of growth twice a year.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes they're in the ground. Been in the ground since late spring early summer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top