Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2017 5:05:25 PM EDT
I am looking to replace my old splitter. Northern Tool has a 37 ton splitter on sale. Does anyone have any experience with these? How do they compare to the Dirty Hand brand sold at Lowes?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You asked for recommendations so here goes, neither of the ones you mentioned.

Splitfire
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Is Splitfire a brand of splitter?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Split fire is a brand.

I just got the biggest tractor supply co had. It's ok and has a honda Motor

It was cheap on sale and built pretty good.

Northern tool stuff is ok but not great from looking at it in person
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I've put a lot of wood through one of the Northerns. It is a vertical/horizontal model. Honda engine. Probably around 10 years old. I did end up replacing the hydraulic oil return line.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks - from what I have read, the hydraulic lines/fittings seem to be a weak point of the Northern Tool splitters
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad picked up an Oregon 28-ton splitter early this year. Haven't used it a lot yet, but it seems like it's built very well and it's splitting everything we've put through it. Goes right through knots and Y's in oak, really satisfying after splitting logs with a maul and wedges my whole life. Coincidentally just had it out today for the first time this season, but we were only splitting ash.

I did some reading online for him when he was buying. I don't remember specifics at this point, but I remember that I saw enough problems with the Northerns that I advised he stay away from them.

Pics from last spring:

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to split a lot of wood quickly, nothing beats the style that splits in both directions.

It's not meant for 36 inch rounds, but will handle them if you are sensible about it.

Anything up to 24 inch rounds will sail right through.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I was impressed by the kinetic type that Woodmaxx has. Not el cheapo  but looks to be 10x faster than hydraulic.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Typically the best bang for the buck in splitters is the 22 ton Tractor Supply Huskee brand now called County Line IRC.  About $900 on sale.

I have the 22 ton version, modified with larger base and wedge:

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Northern splitter about 20 years ago.  It was a horizontal vertical one, but it didn't have a Honda engine.  It still worked great, and I used it every year until I sold it.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Northern splitter again should the need arise.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Troybilt with a Honda engine.  I think we got it at Lowes about 10 years ago.  I keep it under a tarp, and it is still in very good shape.  Other than fill it with gas, change the oil, and fill the tires with air I haven't done much to it.  When it gets really dirty I degrease it and wash it but otherwise I have no complaints.  When considering I heat my house with sweet equity it has more than earned its keep.  Same goes for my Honda ATV and chainsaw.  They have all paid for them selves twice over in the past decade.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#12]
just my .02,  I have a 21 ton that I got from walmart about 10 to 12 years ago,  I changed the filter and the fluid once,  the plastic gas tank rotted and I replaced it with a metal honda tank

thats all,  I have split a lot of wood with it,  I have a craft stove and use it for my heat in the winter,  I am in SC so it doesnt get real cold but in the single numbers is cold for here.

the norther tool splitter seems good and the one at lowes as well,  much beefier than mine.  

EDIT mine looks just like the poster above me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#13]
We have a brute brand 22 ton sold by Menards.  It has run very well with a briggs motor on it.  it has split everything I was physically able to place on the stand.  Sometimes it stalls a bit, then it splits on through (red, and white oak).  The only bad thing I can say about it, is that it's starting to leak hydraulic fluid around the filter.  Would I buy it again? yes, it was $500 after the $200 rebate Menards had on it.....

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/wood-splitters-chippers-accessories/brute-reg-22-ton-208cc-gas-log-splitter/p-1459185168444-c-10115.htm?tid=-7401282811186217867&ipos=1
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Typically the best bang for the buck in splitters is the 22 ton Tractor Supply Huskee brand now called County Line IRC.  About $900 on sale.

I have the 22 ton version, modified with larger base and wedge:

https://i.imgur.com/jf9ANe4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/87H1cQr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oZT8aDJ.jpg
View Quote
Agree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top