Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually I was worried I couldn't even bury power and data in the same ditch.  What is your knowledge of the shielding provided by  conduit, and how far should the data lines be from the power cables?
View Quote
you can't run power and low voltage wiring (e.g. LAN cabling) in the same conduit because of the national electrical code (NEC).  they don't care if you have crosstalk onto your data cables, they simply don't want low voltage stuff which may be exposed somewhere in the house (like on a punchdown panel) to inadvertently come in contact with AC wiring present in the same conduit.  so, separate conduit runs for power and data/alarms/etc.    

now on to the crosstalk/noise issue, i have never had a problem with running LAN cabling near power.  this post comes to you via LAN cabling which runs some 50 feet parallel with AC power, in the next conduit over, same trench.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
n.b.
you should sleeve that PEX with PVC where it passes through/under the foundation wall.

ps
also, you have a modest collection of black walnuts.  
i have AT LEAST 10,000 if you need more.
this has been a banner fucking year for them.
i am either doing something right, or something wrong.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get flow guard gold in coils and there's a special sleeve for coming through a slab.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like AR-Jedi and Dave went to bed for the night.  Give me a few minutes, typing with one finger
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I would sleeve the supply continuously from about 2' outside of the foundation wall to above the slab at the interior.

It looks like you're forced to use a 2" sleeve ( that's tight ) because the footing guys appear to have used a piece of 3" PVC under the footing???  

If you use two 45 bends spaced about 6~ 8" apart to make a long sweep 90 bend the Pex shouldn't crimp or  fight you... too much.   Bevel/ream the interior of the PVC  pipe ( not the fittings ) so the shoulder of the PVC pipe doesn't have a ledge to snag the PEX when you try to shove it through the PVC sleeve.  You may need to use a pull string too.

The disadvantage is that the PEX will be further inside the interior of the wall.  If you try to hit the sink base then it's probably not a big deal except for storage space in the cabinet.

The big advantage is that the PEX is protected and can be replaced easily if necessary.

ETA: Happy birthday!

ETA 2- Or use a long piece of PVC and heat it with a heat gun to make your own gradual bend.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like AR-Jedi and Dave went to bed for the night.  Give me a few minutes, typing with one finger
View Quote
rookie.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plastic conduit?
Or metal?
View Quote
NM conduit.

NM = non-metallic = PVC = plastic.  
bell ends, solvent weld.

the pros would say "raceway", not "conduit".

ps
National Electrical Code 2011
ARTICLE 300 Wiring Methods
I. General Requirements

300.5 Underground Installations.
(B) Wet Locations. The interior of enclosures or raceways installed underground shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in these enclosures or raceways in underground installations shall be listed for use in wet locations and shall comply with 310.10(C). Any connections or splices in an underground installation shall be approved for wet locations.

hence, the wire (not multi-conductor cable, but individual lengths of wire) that you pull through the conduit must be rated for wet locations.  typically that means it will be marked THWN or THWN-2 on the insulating cover.  some, but not all, of the wire on spools at HD and Lowes are dual THHN / THWN marked.  THHN is indoor only, you must use wire marked THWN or TWHN-2 in underground conduit.   ps: the reason that underground conduit is classed as a "wet location" is because ALL underground conduit eventually fills with water.  it has nothing to do with the quality of your solvent welded joints, and everything to do with physics.

ar-jedi

meanwhile, over at my sister's house...

Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank you
!

@billhw1

ETA: Why are you typing with one finger?  You smash your hand with a hammer?    I hope not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Happy birthday!

Thank you
!

@billhw1

ETA: Why are you typing with one finger?  You smash your hand with a hammer?    I hope not.
Not recently  Working with 6.5 fingers and two thumbs
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i don't see any such thing as "easy" replacement of PEX.  
View Quote
what diameter PEX are you working with?  should be 3/4" for the supply?

e.g.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-3-4-in-x-100-ft-White-PEX-Pipe-U870W100/202033031

and from
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/c1/c1f455d3-8281-4215-bbba-1e11f704ca9e.pdf

see page 11...

Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Before I go further, clarify for me.  Is the pipe that the concrete guys used at the base of the footing 2", 3" or 4"?   I may have made an assumption...
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Turn your speakers down

This method is helpful when we need to tweak the angles that manufactured fittings can't provide.

Bending PVC Pipe with a Heat Gun
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I will have to go down there tomorrow and measure.  I *think* it's 3"  Sounds good.  It's a little difficult to see in the pic, don't want to screw up.

But I might have pulled out the gnarliest piece of pvc I had (it was REALLY gnarly) and maybe it was 2"

Either way, I cannot glue onto it, if that's what you're after.  That's common unless they over dig to the sides and block the concrete.  It's not that kind of installation. It was literally,
"Do you have a piece of pipe?"  

Me:  goes after piece of pipe and cuts to length.

Them:  STOMP

There is no end sticking out to glue onto. I'm hoping that's not what you think I need.

FWIW: I asked about ten people what I should do to as far as sleeving PEX under concrete, including a bunch of plumbers.  They all said, "nothing." So I did try to find out.  

But I was never comfortable with what I was getting from anybody.  All the people around me seem to be winging it with regard to PEX, including my Awesome Foundation Contractor.  

I never said he was an Awesome Plumber.  Just Awesome Foundation Contractor.

ETA:  Yes, it's 3/4 inch for the supply line.  It's whatever plain old white PEX was sold to me at Home Depot.

I now understand there are different types, and that I should pay attention.

CPVC is easier.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#22]
That was not a street elbow, it is a drainage line elbow. Not rated for pressure, small weld surface.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Stole this from AR-Jedi.  His 10/12/17 post on page 2.

After going to bed last night I thought this is likely a better solution for your situation.   It protects the pipe under the slab and through the foundation wall.  If the Pex does fail in the future, under the slab, it's easily replaced.  And the polyethylene ( black well pipe ) is smooth on the interior so it would be easier to fish the Pex through it.  The polyethylene needs to be in one piece, no couplings.

Open the pics.

Quoted:

i researched insulated PEX just for the hell of it.  people with outdoor wood-fired boilers use it all the time.  it's not cheap, in fact it's like $12/ft.   i have a brother in law who is a master plumber. i tell him my idea about running hot water from the house.  he says it will work.   i tell him there is this expensive insulated PEX.  he says that's overkill. he says what he would do it put 1-1/2" black poly pipe in end-to-end as a "conduit", and then reeve 3/4" PEX through it. the air gap will provide some insulation, and well if anything goes wrong you can always pull the PEX back out and put a new length in.   i liked this plan then and i like it even more now.

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/33013-1/DSCN7345.JPG

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/34688-1/DSCN7752.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wow, he's really close to that pipe with the heat gun.  Cool that it stays at the preferred angle though.

ETA:  They are saying that's PVC.  Not PEX.  But I'm guessing you do that with PEX too, since I've heard good things about it going back into shape after it's nearly melted.

Also...just went down and measured. Best I can tell (still muddy and it's in a 3-foot hole on both sides) it is a 3" pipe.  

When I purchased the roll of PEX, and was worried about whether it needed sleeving, I considered everything I know about, even just cpvc insulation for 3/4" pipe along the run of PEX, but figured that would deteriorate fairly quickly, and the adhesive that holds it together isn't much.  

I can likely do it with 45s and short runs of pipe the way you--or somebody above--suggested.  It will take two people though, so not sure when I'll make that happen.

1-do you think the sleeving pipe needs to be glued up?

2-And if so, what is your preferred way of "fishing" Pex.  Since I've never cut it or tried to make a hole in it, I'm guessing there are tricks.
View Quote
1- Yes.  After about 4 or 5 hours of glue cure time you can push the Pex through.  Along with protection of the Pex I look at as a way to replace the Pex in the future if there is a defect in the Pex.

2- I'll normally drill a hole through the Pex about 2" from the end. Pass a piece of 12 gauge solid copper wire through the holes and twist the two ends together to form a loop that is long enough to reach beyond the end of the Pex.  Then you can use a fish tape or pull string to get it through the sleeve.  You will probably have to use some tape to form what would resemble a funnel shape on the leading edge of the pex and wire.  I'll see if I can find you a pic.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#28]
this thread is still going?  

j/k

KwS, how can we help?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@ar-Jedi I see the 1.5" poly.  Would you do it differently now?  (I will look back at what you told me was in the trench. You probably have all the  sizes for what you did there.)
View Quote
no, would not change the way i did it.  if you can, do it the same way.  
it was simple to reeve the PEX through the poly, and well, if anything goes wrong down the road...

incidentally i noticed looking at my pictures that it doesn't show that i used some duct seal to close up the ends where the PEX egresses from the poly pipe.
duct seal has a "play-doh" consistency and you just use your fingers to form into place.  you can get it at HD/Lowes or an electrical/plumbing supply house.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There will be more questions I'm certain, though they'll likely be less freaked out once the concrete is poured.
View Quote
i am the opposite -- i am freaked out after the concrete is poured because i'm thinking i forgot something...  

step back and help us for a second.

list all of the things coming to/from the structure.
- water in
- waste out
- power in (*)
- other in/out

in the structure, where will the electrical be terminated?
where will the water be brought to?  where is the water heater etc?
what are the major power consumers in the structure?  (water heater, HVAC, etc)

don't worry about HOW you are doing it.  just tell us what you require to (eventually) have in place.

ar-jedi

(*)
what about power going back *out* for a nearby light post or outdoor receptacle?
make sure there is light wherever you have steps or other impediments to travel to/from the structure.

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
At both ends?  For water and critter proofing?  
View Quote
the duct seal goes INSIDE the structure(s), to help keep moisture out of the poly pipe.  

just mold it around the pex and against the poly, as my crappy MS Paint shows below.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wish I could come up there and be your minion on a project like that carriage house.  Not only because I'd rather rehab than eat, but I'd learn a bunch.
View Quote
months of pain and suffering.  some details in this long thread, scroll through it at your leisure.  mostly, it's people making fun of me.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/-/22-652956/?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
in the structure, where will the electrical be terminated?--I have only a rough guess.  It will be the exterior wall nearest the house.  
where will the water be brought to? where is the water heater etc?--I have two potential locations for the water heater.  I figured on running PEX into ONE point, and taking the water to the water heater from there, and all other (cold) points from that same point.
what are the major power consumers in the structure? (water heater, HVAC, etc)  Water Heater and HVAC for certain.  That's pretty much it.  Everything else is small beans.  Fridge.  MAYBE a dryer at some point in the future.  I'd like to run 200 amp service to the building, but maybe I shouldn't?  That's what our house has.  ... My most scary concern is getting 200 amp power from the house to this building.  That's a big cable, and I haven't even priced the cost per foot to get it from the box on the house (which is on the OTHER end of the house from this building. )
View Quote
ok moar questions/comments, since you seem to be most stuck on the electrical...

- 200A service to an outbuilding is *a lot*.  that's like a whole house plus some.  
- what is the capacity (ampacity is the term) of the service panel in the house currently?  150A?  200A?  400A?
- how far (roughly) from the house service panel to the proposed location of the sub-panel at your new structure?
- you need a trench, at least 18" deep, for running the power.  there is no other option besides overhead and you don't want that.  don't let the backhoe leave without getting your electrical trench in.  building a structure on top of your slab is going to require some sort of planning on location and routing of electrical stuff.  
- if you are heating water in the house with propane, can you do the same at the outbuilding?
- what does your HVAC look like?  mini-split A/C?  no A/C?  mini-split combo A/C + heat?  window A/C?

ps:
put your ground rods in before you pour the slab, it's a hell of a lot easier.  the info below is NOT EXHAUSTIVE to complete your wiring, but plan for the ground rods.

get qty 2 5/8" diameter 8' copper clad rods from HD, the grounding connectors will be right next to them.  get some #6 bare or green wire.  

drive the rods in near where your electrical box will be.  you can use a hammer drill set on hammer-only.  the rods should be about 6' apart.  connect the end of the wire to one rod using the connector, run the wire past the other rod and connect it, and then the wire can run vertically up though the slab during the pour.  the electrical joints at the top of the rods should be coated with anti-corrosion goop, same aisle as the rods, and the nuts should be really leaned on for a good tight fit.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ERICO-5-8-in-x-8-ft-Copper-Ground-Rod-615880UPC/202195738
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackburn-Ground-Rod-Clamp-5-8-in-G5-B1-30/202907599

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#38]
here is some bedtime reading for you...

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304658
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

here is some bedtime reading for you...

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304658
View Quote
Use the ufer mentioned in the garage journal post.

No hammer drill required.

And take a deep breath.

Pushing back a week isn't the end of the world if you have to.

If you can't push back, post up a floor plan so we can help you.

As far as cat 5, it can be spliced if necessary but likely you just need to tweak your low voltage plan.

Go from modem to router to a switch and run dedicated cat 5 lines o the addition.

As far as power, a 100amp sub panel is likely enough power but that's just a guess.

Running a 200amp service is a big deal if you only have a 200 amp service.

I'm winging my addition as well if that makes you feel any better.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Ar-jedi said it, but wanted to highlight it...

The ground wire must be contiguous from the farthest ground rod through to wherever it terminates.

If you dont know where your junction/panel/meter/etc will be, leave yourself a healthy coil of extra to insure you can reach it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Okay wait..

Are you saying the ground wire/rod on my house has to run all the way to my outbuilding?

Seriously?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ar-jedi said it, but wanted to highlight it...

The ground wire must be contiguous from the farthest ground rod through to wherever it terminates.

If you dont know where your junction/panel/meter/etc will be, leave yourself a healthy coil of extra to insure you can reach it.
Okay wait..

Are you saying the ground wire/rod on my house has to run all the way to my outbuilding?

Seriously?
It just means it needs to be continuous from the new addition ground rod (s) all the way to the panel

That's the nice thing about the ufer.

It could come up where the electrical panel is or at least nearby.

I couldn't decide which corner my service & generator  are going so I put a ufer on each corner.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Prices may be slightly different where you are but up here two hundred amp feeder cable is he going to run you about $4 and change per foot. In contrast 100-amp will be about a buck-fifty per foot.

You're going to need to have your two grounding rods six feet apart minimum at your outbuilding as close to your electrical box as possible. Use the proper size clamps and one piece of 4 gauge solid copper wire to connect the ground bar in your breaker panel to both rods. The breaker panel you put in your outbuilding will have to keep the ground and neutral separate as the only place your grounds and neutrals are bonded together is your main or first to distribution panel.
If you're doing the electrical connections yourself make sure you put anti oxidizing Compound on all your aluminum connections.
Keep in mind that all conductors must have two insulators which means your feeder wire that goes underground is going to have to come up and be in conduit all the way until it gets to your breaker box. 
Make sure at the ends of all electrical conduit you put just a coupler it's to prevent sharp edges from damaging the wire and is required by code at least up here.
The only way you're going to get 200 amps out to your out building is if you have the proper panel in side that has feed through lugs. But in all seriousness 100 amps is great plenty unless you're going to have an electric hot water heater all electric heat and electric dryer and electric oven and trying to run it all the same time. And actually our old house had everything electric on a hundred amp service and we never had problems blowing the main breaker.
Make sure you run at least one CAT5 cable preferably two. 
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:34:05 AM EDT
[#47]
would it be easier and/or feasible to just have the power company run separate service to the outbuilding? independent of the house, separate meter, service directly from the pole, etc. that way you don't have to worry about where the existing house is hooked up and may be able to dodge a few other issues.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
would it be easier and/or feasible to just have the power company run separate service to the outbuilding? independent of the house, separate meter, service directly from the pole, etc. that way you don't have to worry about where the existing house is hooked up and may be able to dodge a few other issues.
View Quote
If you need a lot of power this is a good potential option.

If you ever plan on hooking up a generator it gets tricky.  

Like it's been posted , 100 amps is a lot of power unless you are total electric then it gets tight fast.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top