Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2017 3:28:28 PM EDT
Allow me to preface this by saying, I’m an electrical idiot.
I ‘m attempting to install an outlet to my main power box for a generator I just picked up. It will be going into the same location as the one in the third picture.

It’s being installed under the breaker in the picture so when the gen. is running there’s no possibility of back feeding into the main system.

I had a three wire outlet but the newer generator has the option of 240/120 30 amp which is four wire, that’s what I want to use since my well pump is 220V.
My question is from where on the main panel do I connect the 4 wires to run to the plug in the external box and to which terminals on the outlet connection do they connect? 
I thought about an external three position manual transfer switch, but a 200 amp switch is a bit out of my budget at the moment.
I have a 100 amp gen. transfer switch but I’ve been told using it for a 200 amp power feed would be foolish at best.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the images, imgr and I are having issue hot linking instead of posting.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, from what I see you already get the proverbial slap in the back of the head.

First, never, EVER, EVER just backfeed power to your system w/o the proper interlock or generator input panel. That is how you kill line workers and/or others. NO!

Second, you have a simple main disconnect, not a distribution panel. Those extra wires on the bottom of your switch should not be there. Why? They are not fused properly. They have full power from that 200 amp switch. If they shorted or over-loaded, things start on fire. That is bad.

You need to save up for a $125 200 amp feed through lug outdoor distribution panel, where you have a double-pole 30 amp breaker and an interlock that acts as your generator input. With the new panel, figuring wire and other odds and ends, its going to be about another $200-$250 to get your setup properly and more importantly SAFELY.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheapest you will get the proper outdoor panel is this one:

200 amp feed through lug panel

Free shipping from HD and everything.

I literally JUST installed that one and a generator input. It will give you enough room to put some breakers for those extra wires that are shoved in with your feeders.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I just stepped out and snapped some pics for you (the two pic posts above).

The first one is inside the panel. Notice how the inputs from the generator go into duel breakers? Since this is the primary distribution panel (first after the meter), neutral and ground (white and green) terminate on the neutral bar(s). If you were feeding a sub panel, the grounds and neutrals are on separate bars.

On the second pic, notice that piece of bent shiny metal? It prevents the main breaker and the generator input breakers from being on simultaneously. It is a CRITICAL safety piece. They are panel specific, and I believe there is an aftermarket that makes them for most older breaker panels.

In short, do it safe and do it right. If this were a Mad Max event, there are shortcuts. This isn't Mad Max. 
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
To the OP, rat is right. You got a lot of wrong going on there........

To rat, what is the bare ground that looks to be going into the meter base? (The one that is double lugged with the electrode conductor)
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To the OP, rat is right. You got a lot of wrong going on there........

To rat, what is the bare ground that looks to be going into the meter base? (The one that is double lugged with the electrode conductor)
View Quote
Just a ground for the meter box. It's double lugged to the primary ground
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Not to sound like an excuse, but the wiring is the way it was when I bought the house.  The owner died before I bought it so I'm left to figure it  out. 
The closed box on the left side bottom has two large fuses which runs power to the older well shack which is no longer used but has power. 
I also figure that is also the source for power to the new well shack on the other side of the property which is 220 for the well pump. 
All the wiring is underground, so short of digging it up I don't have any more than a guess where it goes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a house with many similar problems.

Still though, you should get that box I linked to to make your wiring safe. The install is simple, just make it look like the pics I posted.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I have every intention of doing just that and I appreciate your response and posts. 
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All the wiring is underground, so short of digging it up I don't have any more than a guess where it goes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You can disconnect power and then use a wire tracer to identify wiring. A basic cheap/generic tracer is under $20.

Quoted:
OK, from what I see you already get the proverbial slap in the back of the head.

First, never, EVER, EVER just backfeed power to your system w/o the proper interlock or generator input panel. That is how you kill line workers and/or others. NO!
Not disconnecting from the power grid is how disaster happens. The fancy devices just limit your ability to goof up. I think it's important to note the distinction between the disconnection, which is what actually matters, versus the devices which just try to enforce that you've disconnected. Electrically, as long as the main breaker or disconnect is off, it's the same regardless of whether you have an interlock on the breaker panel or not. It's good to know how things work if you're DIYing, and if you're ever in a situation where you have to try to make something work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not to sound like an excuse, but the wiring is the way it was when I bought the house.  The owner died before I bought it so I'm left to figure it  out. 
The closed box on the left side bottom has two large fuses which runs power to the older well shack which is no longer used but has power. 
I also figure that is also the source for power to the new well shack on the other side of the property which is 220 for the well pump. 
View Quote
You don't need to do anything with the wiring between what is in the picture and the well. Everything you need to take care of is on that pole.

You do need to get that service in order.

As an alternative, can you take the generator to the well and connect it directly?

Rat gave some pretty good advice. If you are not comfortable doing the work then I wouldn't suggest you do it alone.
Too many little things to cover with online advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top