Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2017 5:41:34 PM EDT
I am going to take delivery of by BX 2370 this week. As I discussed in a previous thread, it has a loader and a 4ft Land Pride box blade. One project I have is moving 40 tons of type 3 riprap for a seawall. Am I being optimistic that this little tractor will be able to move riprap? I understand it may take a week, but will it move it?

I have seen a few sub compacts with a tooth bar installed on the bucket. Is this helpful when moving rock?

Thanks again for everyone's help with my tractor purchase and questions.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to say man but...it will be hard. I moved a fair amount this week with my BX 3760 but it was topsoil with few rocks,
you will have a hard time getting a decent scoop with this little tractor, teeth will help but it is still hard.
One thing to keep in mind with these BX's is they dont like to be driven far in 4WD with a load on the front end,
you need to travel with it in 2WD, the front wheel seals will leak eventualy if you let it skip along in 4WD.
You need to take it out of 4WD after you get your scoop. The box on the back will be good counter weight but you may want to add more to it.
You can get this job done but it will be a big job for a small tractor, take your time a be patient, rock is hard to move.
Congrats again on a nice machine, treat it well and it will last forever.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was afraid of. You mention the problem traveling in 4wd. I have read that when descending with a load in the FEL, it is best to be in 4wd. I will be going down a pretty good slope with the rock, so I was going to leave it in 4wd all the time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Go down straight and keep the bucket low.  Make a safe graded trail down the escarpment face and lay your rock in rows if possible,  then dump them over the side.  Are you moving baseball, basketball or beachball sized rock?

JD 1025 TLB owner...

I like the Piranah tooth bar from bxpanded.com
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what I was afraid of. You mention the problem traveling in 4wd. I have read that when descending with a load in the FEL, it is best to be in 4wd. I will be going down a pretty good slope with the rock, so I was going to leave it in 4wd all the time.
View Quote
Ya, going down hill is another story, you may need the traction, maybe turn as little as possible or add extra weight on the back.
I had to have the front end seals on my B3200 replaced because I didn't know any better, I thought on grass it would be ok..but no.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Basketball size rock would be the best description. Down a slope to a seawall on a lake.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]
My Kubota has been in 4wd for the last 20 years.

Honestly ours going to be a job for that little tractor. But yes it'll do it. Just take your time
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am going to take delivery of by BX 2370 this week. As I discussed in a previous thread, it has a loader and a 4ft Land Pride box blade. One project I have is moving 40 tons of type 3 riprap for a seawall. Am I being optimistic that this little tractor will be able to move riprap? I understand it may take a week, but will it move it?

I have seen a few sub compacts with a tooth bar installed on the bucket. Is this helpful when moving rock?

Thanks again for everyone's help with my tractor purchase and questions.
View Quote
Simple math:

Assuming a 500 lb load (about max at full height at 500 mm; a little more for breakout for the BX2370/LA243 loader), that will be at least 160 trips.  Assuming 10 minutes/trip, that's 1600 minutes or about 26-27 hours of tractor operation; 15 minutes/trip gives about 40 hours.  Doable?  Yes.  Fun?  Probably not.

Just like you don't bother getting a tractor without a FEL, don't bother getting a FEL without a tooth bar.  I have the Piranha on my L4330; it's pretty much permanently attached.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but leave the tractor in 4wd unless you are on a hard packed surface like black top.  You aren't hurting anything on loose ground.

I do agree it will be a bit challenging to get a good scoop of that size rock.  Not impossible, but difficult.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I would rent a decent sized skid steer for the job.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry to say man but...it will be hard. I moved a fair amount this week with my BX 3760 but it was topsoil with few rocks,
View Quote
and... what model BX do you have?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had to have the front end seals on my B3200 replaced because I didn't know any better, I thought on grass it would be ok..but no.
View Quote
see above.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One thing to keep in mind with these BX's is they dont like to be driven far in 4WD with a load on the front end,
you need to travel with it in 2WD, the front wheel seals will leak eventualy if you let it skip along in 4WD.
View Quote
this has not been my experience (>600hrs on a BX) and nor is the experience of tons of folks on TBN.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
you will have a hard time getting a decent scoop with this little tractor, teeth will help but it is still hard.
You need to take it out of 4WD after you get your scoop. The box on the back will be good counter weight but you may want to add more to it.
You can get this job done but it will be a big job for a small tractor, take your time a be patient, rock is hard to move.
Congrats again on a nice machine, treat it well and it will last forever.
View Quote
How does it hurt the tractor to be in 4WD just because the FEL is carrying a load?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but leave the tractor in 4wd unless you are on a hard packed surface like black top.  You aren't hurting anything on loose ground.

I do agree it will be a bit challenging to get a good scoop of that size rock.  Not impossible, but difficult.
View Quote
That^ Or break turning for mowing/field work.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I run my Kubota in 4x4 most of the time, with the exception being when mowing in dry, flat areas.  If Im using the FEL, 99.9% of the time its in 4WD.  Mine has 837 hours, mostly of moving dirt, rock, and firewood, and mowing

Whoever told you guys that "wheel seals" will fail if used in 4x4 on dry surfaces, lied.

If anything, its hard on gears (hubs) and driveline parts.  Seals would be near dead-last of the impacted parts.

I will say, I see so many used 4x4 compact tractors with mis-matched tires.  Thats very hard on the driveline, as the front and rear axle can not stay at the same speed, even in a straight line.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I think OP is going to be manually loading the bucket at times. Personally I'd rent a tracked skidsteer and save the wear and tear on my little tractor. P.S. a rock bucket on the skidsteer would make life much easier. Good luck OP!
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

this has not been my experience (>600hrs on a BX) and nor is the experience of tons of folks on TBN.

ar-jedi
View Quote
Sorry for my ignorance but what is TBN?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sorry for my ignorance but what is TBN?  

Thanks
View Quote
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a bx23s and it'll move that all day. May not be the fastest way but it's cheaper than renting something
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all of the replies. Tractor arrives here in GA on Friday. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Last question - Should I get my rear tires filled as well? There will be some times when I am using the tractor at my house on turf. FYI - It has the R4 tires
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Fill the tires for sure.
I'd use rimguard to maximize the amount of weight. On tires that size the cost isn't that much more than RV antifreeze.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the replies. Tractor arrives here in GA on Friday. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Last question - Should I get my rear tires filled as well? There will be some times when I am using the tractor at my house on turf. FYI - It has the R4 tires
View Quote
R4 tires are the best for compact tractors IMHO.  Turf tires never supported the FEL for me and I'd constantly be breaking the beads on the fronts.  R4's are nearly as gentle on the grass as well.  Filling the rears is a good idea, especially if you only run lighter implements on the 3pt or are going to do a lot of ground engaging work like plow/disk.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fill the tires for sure.
I'd use rimguard to maximize the amount of weight. On tires that size the cost isn't that much more than RV antifreeze.
View Quote
While RG is the shiznit, I doubt the OP will be able to get RG in GA.  Last I looked, the closest place to me was north of the TN/KY border.

OP, absolutely have your rears filled. especially if you plan to move 40 tons down a hill.  In GA, a couple gallons of RV antifreeze will be all you need (the rest just plain water).  I have 4 gallons of RV antifreeze in my rears, the rest of the 55 gallons id just water.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
your pictures are not showing up.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok - I forgot to post the pictures. The tractor was in better condition than I was expecting. After I cleaned it I couldn't find any scratches on it. The bucket doesn't look like it has been used. I had to include a picture of the engine because it was spotless. PTO has never been used...

P.S. - Im getting a 14ft trailer as well
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Rent a tracked skid loader.Cat, melroe, or even kabota for that matter
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Pics up in previous post
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ok - I forgot to post the pictures. The tractor was in better condition than I was expecting. After I cleaned it I couldn't find any scratches on it. The bucket doesn't look like it has been used. I had to include a picture of the engine because it was spotless. PTO has never been used...

BX 2370
View Quote

You don't even know how much fun you'll have with that
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok - I forgot to post the pictures. The tractor was in better condition than I was expecting.
View Quote
your BX is in fact in very good condition.  

a couple of suggestions:

0) order a filter kit or two from messicks or from your local dealer.  if your BX did not come with an operators manual, messicks or your dealer can supply one as well.
1) change the engine oil and filter at 50 hours, per the manual.
2) find the hydraulic filter down underneath the transmission.  you can not simply remove this filter without getting about 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid on the ground.  however, there are a couple of tricks that will allow you to change the filter and only lose a teaspoon of fluid.  this filter MUST be changed at 50 hours, this is a very important step.
3) there is also a "strainer" which catches any large bits from the transmission, see the following link.  

http://www.messicks.com/blog/kubota-bx-series-50-hr-service

ps
from your pics, the MMM (mid-mount mower) carriage is hanging down.  this is not a desirable condition.  so raise the TPH (three point hitch) arms (rear implement) as far as it will go, and until the MMM carriage is at the highest position.  now reach down between your legs and turn the MMM height adjustment dial until the word "TOP" is at the 12 o'clock position, aligned with the arrow.  the MMM carriage will stay in the fully raised position now despite the location of the TPH arms.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View Quote
Wait till you get to 1200 or 1800 hrs, Dealer claims mine went twice because of running it in 4wd with a load in the bucket, even on grass.
Just going by what I was told as I paid he bills......twice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glad your happy with it, pictures look great!
Will provide years of fun and work!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Another question - What RPM do you guys suggest running while doing FEL work?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Another question - What RPM do you guys suggest running while doing FEL work?
View Quote
Want to say I'd be between 1750 and 22 on mine depending on what I was doing. Been a while though so I'm sure someone with fresher experience will chime in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I only have a few hours of work on mine, but I find that anything under 2300 tends to bog down.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I pull mine wide open then bump it just enough to say it isn't wide open for everything I do.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I like that approach, anything wrong with running it almost wide open?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like that approach, anything wrong with running it almost wide open?
View Quote
Not a thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top