Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 29
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#1]
Creek is dropping a little but an inch of rain each of the next two days is in the forecast.

I patched part of the 2 story roof on the house, hoping I can keep the rain out.  It looks like there were a couple spots where hail damage destroyed the shingles and has rotted the sheeting.  The main spot seems about 2 feet wide by maybe 4 feet tall.  Right next to that area there is still tar paper and what looks like brand new plywood.  Not sure why certain spots deteriorated that bad.

I bought a log splitter to help split all the firewood that I have.  I haven't posted the update about it yet but I took down two decent size trees in a unique way.  There is video footage including drone footage but I need to work on it more first.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe drop some gabion cages filled with riprap where you are having the erosion issues until you figure out a longer term strategy.  Could probably get by with bending up some TSC panels if you size the rock correctly.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-sheep-goat-16-ft-l-x-48-in-h
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

Do you have any good resources on how to structure a creek for trout?  My main concern is stopping the erosion of the land but I can structure it for trout habitat while I'm working on it.

Where you see the water start to smooth out in the high water pic, that is where there is a steep drop off into deep water.  Water went from 6 inches deep to within inches of the tops of my hip waders and I wasn't even in the deepest part.
View Quote
I don't have any resources per se, but you can do a couple of things to accomplish any goals;

Take stones from the bottom in the middle of the creek and pile those up toward the bank to prevent erosion, that will keep the water from washing the bank away and will make the creek deeper at the same time, aiding in the creation of deeper (more voluminous) pools.

Keep it up is what I mean.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The creek is up.  I will group together previous pictures for each area.

@JoseCuervo  Are you sure that influx of water will not move trout up or down stream?  This really isn't even that high, just a typical level from a heavy rain.  I've seen the water level rise high enough to make the entire waterfall structure disappear which is about 6 inches below the bridge deck.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 9:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#6]
Water data.  I figured how to manipulate the USGS chart and show whatever time period I want.

Past month of water levels.

Attachment Attached File

Past 4 months.  As you can see August was very dry.  I should have been working in creek on those 95 degrees days with low water.

Attachment Attached File

Past year

Attachment Attached File

Past 2 years

Attachment Attached File

Five years

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Salmon move upstream to spawn.  Every species of fish has a spawning pattern.  I'm not sure what that pattern is for trout.  I've caught and eaten them but not studied them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Trout only go upstream on purpose, but it isn't to spawn. They know the food washes downstream. They can and will jump to the next higher pool, but won't jump down.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Oops, screwed up today and got some unwanted attention.

I was using the flame weeder to kill off some plants that keep growing back.  I've used it before and it didn't put much smoke.  This time there were dry leaves around and they started to smoke.  They didn't burn for long and the fire wasn't spreading, so I figured I was fine.  An LEO just happened to drive by and then stopped.  He saw smoke so he called the fire department.  He asked just for the battalion chief but of course the bored firefighters decided to roll a big truck with him.  There was no fire or smoke by the time the officer got me.   Once the fire department showed up I explain the flame weeder to them and was instructed to rake the leaves away first.

That would have been the end of it if the crew on the truck hadn't walked up.  The one says "I think we have a bigger problem back there".  Pointing to a small cloud of smoke coming from my burn pit.  There is no "open burning" in the city.  The ordinance says it must be contained with a stack or a screen.  I showed them the screens that I had but was told they were only authorized to allow screened fire pits purchased from Lowes.  They said the fire marshal would have to inspect it and make the determination on if it would be allowed.

The fire I was trying to get going in my pit.

Attachment Attached File

The fire being put out by the fire department.  They were going to try to drive a small firetruck back there but I told them I had a hose that would reach.

Attachment Attached File

Afterwards I started reworking the fire pit and cleaning up the area to see if I can get it approved.  They also said I could apply for an extended burn permit which the fire marshal would have to sign off on.  Burn permits cost $65 and previously I was told burn permits were good for only 1 day.  I will ask the fire marshal about the extended permit.  If I could get one that covered a month for $65 that would be worth it.  I can get a lot cleaned up in that time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:14:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kallnojoy] [#11]
Get a woodmax chipper for your tractor.

Eats anything up to 8 inches... and makes a nice mulch.

Burning takes too long and is too weather dependent.

ETA: pairs nicely with a grapple

Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
At least it sounds like you didn't get a ticket.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 10hp wood chipper that can take up to a 3" branch. It is painfully slow and dirty though.  A nice self feeding chipper would come in handy but the used starting price for everything I've looked at is $5,000.  Since fire is free I've gone that route.  Actually most of the brush I've drug all the way up to the road.  It's a pain to do that though.

I also have more firewood than I can ever use.  So getting an approved fire pit where I can have a decent camp fire would be a good thing.

If anyone in the area wants free firewood let me know.  This has been drying for over a year.  I'm going to post the picture on social media tagged free firewood.  Most of it is pine.  Not sure what the pieces at the front of the pile are but there aren't many and they very short or odd shapes.  I've already pulled out 3 truck loads of wood from the pile and this is what is left.  The pine I was going to take to the fire pit, before the fire department showed up.  I still have another pile of pine further back on the property.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

ETA: pairs nicely with a grapple
View Quote
Is that your tractor, grapple and chipper?  You have all the best toys...I mean equipment.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:
At least it sounds like you didn't get a ticket.
View Quote
That is correct, no ticket.  They would have been hard pressed to give me a ticket on the flame weeder.  Everyone from the fire department said they live in the county and burn all the time.  Even the city police officer said he has a fire pit and wants to use it but he doesn't have a screen for it so he doesn't.  Thankfully the area still has retained a small town attitude even though it has greatly grown in size.  At some point that will change and people will adopt the jaded bureaucrat attitude you find the big cities.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Is that your tractor, grapple and chipper?  You have all the best toys...I mean equipment.
View Quote

Yeah, we picked up an adjoining 20 acres so I've been investing in some time/back saver toys.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Glad you have good guys on your force.  Sounded like it from what you said earlier about your stolen cameras.

An approved screen would be the cheapest/easiest way to go, right?

Then you could burn what you want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is correct, no ticket.  They would have been hard pressed to give me a ticket on the flame weeder.  Everyone from the fire department said they live in the county and burn all the time.  Even the city police officer said he has a fire pit and wants to use it but he doesn't have a screen for it so he doesn't.  Thankfully the area still has retained a small town attitude even though it has greatly grown in size.  At some point that will change and people will adopt the jaded bureaucrat attitude you find the big cities.
Glad you have good guys on your force.  Sounded like it from what you said earlier about your stolen cameras.

An approved screen would be the cheapest/easiest way to go, right?

Then you could burn what you want.
Yes, just not sure if they will approve a custom built pit.  Most lots in town don't have the distance from a residence to allow a larger custom pit.  In my case I'm 150+ feet away from the residence and 100 feet away from an accessory building.  I will post pictures of my custom pit once I have it roughed in.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#21]
What's the story with the neighbor on the corner and their rehab effort?

Briefly caught the sign when I went past earlier, but didn't read it all...
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Yes, just not sure if they will approve a custom built pit.  Most lots in town don't have the distance from a residence to allow a larger custom pit.  In my case I'm 150+ feet away from the residence and 100 feet away from an accessory building.  I will post pictures of my custom pit once I have it roughed in.
View Quote
What's the deal on the screen (is it a big concave and curved upside down? [need specs on mesh too ]) and is this permit a yearly inspection or a once for life deal?

Build the custom pit and make your screen. Bury the brand new pit with the pile of dirt you still have, cover with screen. Inspect. Dig out custom pit and powerwash. Whew!

Done.

Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#23]
What's the story with the neighbor on the corner and their rehab effort?

Briefly caught the sign when I went past earlier, but didn't read it all...
View Quote
We have no idea what they are up to.  A real estate investor from Lexington bought the house and way over paid for it.  They quickly learned that they couldn't easily flip it and make $250,000 in profit.  They some how incorporated a church into the deal.  The church is trying to fund a mission in Africa and wants to flip the house, using the profits to fund the mission.  The church seems to be getting the labor for free, not sure if it is volunteers or some type of community program.

The people doing the work are very disheveled and wore down, not professionals at all.  Right now they are remove the back wall of the house, brick by brick.  That wall has bowed out about 6 inches in some spots.  But they are breaking 1/3 of the bricks as they remove them, so they will be short on materials when rebuilding, assuming they put bricks back on the wall.

They formed a driveway in the back yard, as there is no parking for the house.  They did this by putting broken plaster over the grass on a steep hill.  

This is just from an outsiders perspective.  I haven't seen any plans or talked to anyone there.  Just observed from a distance.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
What's the deal on the screen (is it a big concave and curved upside down? [need specs on mesh too ]) and is this permit a yearly inspection or a once for life deal?

Build the custom pit and make your screen. Bury the brand new pit with the pile of dirt you still have, cover with screen. Inspect. Dig out custom pit and powerwash. Whew!

Done.

View All Quotes

Done.

My city is very uptight about "sparks catching other things on fire".  There is no burning of leaves in town what-so-ever as a burning leaf my blow away and start a house of fire.    The same goes for fire pits.  A hot ember could rise up, seek out a house, and burn it to the ground.  So your fire must be covered by a screen to keep the sparks under control.

There is no definition of anything, I've looked and asked.  It is all up to the fire marshal to make his determination. I would assume if he approved the pit it would be approved permanently.  The burn permit would be temporary, require an inspection and $65 fee every time I wanted one or needed to renew one.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Ahhh, that poor house.  I bet it's an old one.

What a shame it's getting screwed up by people who have no clue.
View All Quotes

We have no idea what they are up to.  A real estate investor from Lexington bought the house and way over paid for it.  They quickly learned that they couldn't easily flip it and make $250,000 in profit.  They some how incorporated a church into the deal.  The church is trying to fund a mission in Africa and wants to flip the house, using the profits to fund the mission.  The church seems to be getting the labor for free, not sure if it is volunteers or some type of community program.

The people doing the work are very disheveled and wore down, not professionals at all.  Right now they are remove the back wall of the house, brick by brick.  That wall has bowed out about 6 inches in some spots.  But they are breaking 1/3 of the bricks as they remove them, so they will be short on materials when rebuilding, assuming they put bricks back on the wall.

They formed a driveway in the back yard, as there is no parking for the house.  They did this by putting broken plaster over the grass on a steep hill.  

This is just from an outsiders perspective.  I haven't seen any plans or talked to anyone there.  Just observed from a distance.
Ahhh, that poor house.  I bet it's an old one.

What a shame it's getting screwed up by people who have no clue.
I put a bid in on the house but it went for almost double what I was willing to pay.  If I got it cheap enough I would have considered tearing it down and using the lot for better access and parking to the project house.  It was a beautiful Victorian house at one point and still had a lot of the character left but everything needed to be updated.  The attic was one huge room, imagine a 40x40 room with solid hardwood floors.  The kitchens and bathrooms were beyond outdated, falling apart, and disgusting.  That house is old but not really historic like the project house.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#28]
My other house has became a project house itself last week.  A broken water line in the yard turned into an unexpected bathroom remodel.  I had hoped to work on the real project house over the 3 day weekend with nice weather but that did not happen.  The positive side of things is I'm getting first hand experience running a new waterline through the yard, done the correct way with a flexible line inside a sleeve, and using PEX related tools and products.  Both a new waterline and plumbing are required at the real project house.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Remember-the-terrible-contracting-crew-that-tore-up-my-yard-for-several-months-Well-/5-2268408/
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Just when you were getting bored and wondering what to do with all that free time...
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Just when you were getting bored and wondering what to do with all that free time...
View Quote
The mad dash now needs to be getting my solar panels installed and connected to the grid before the year is over.  I'm not sure how long KU's review process is but I do know time is running out.  I had planned to get 3 days of work done on it last weekend.  Now we have frozen ground and snow.  It seems I am always running a critical point behind in my schedule, not enough hours in the day.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#31]
I hear ya! We got 2 new houses underway.
One is near completion & the owner is all hot to see it done.
The other has the first floor done and the second floor exterior walls up.
It's a beautiful day but we got snow last night and it's 17 degrees outside.
Boss says stay home & stay warm..
So we wait till there's more snow and down in the single digits.
FML!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#32]

The mad dash now needs to be getting my solar panels installed and connected to the grid before the year is over.  I'm not sure how long KU's review process is but I do know time is running out.  I had planned to get 3 days of work done on it last weekend.  Now we have frozen ground and snow.  It seems I am always running a critical point behind in my schedule, not enough hours in the day.
View Quote
Looking forward to following the solar panel project!
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

Just ordered some of the racking materials.  I will be starting with a ground mount system, as the roofs are shaded most of the day.  I'm cutting costs by using a wood frame versus paying a premium for large diameter galvanized steel pipes.  I need to start getting the electrical wired into the breaker and then somehow dig an 18" deep trench for conduit around the house and 2 very large trees.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#34]
What panels did you end up going with?
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#35]
What panels did you end up going with?
View Quote
Suniva Optimus 280 watt panels and Enphase M215 microinverters.  I only bought 10 of them but when I was buying the racking material the freight was almost as much as the material.  I doubled my order and freight stayed the same. If I get the first array up and get everything working I will buy another 10 panels to take it from a 2.8KW system to a 5.6KW system.  The first thing is to get the initial 10 connected and get grand fathered into the KU net metering program.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 11:48:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#36]
Here is a video that some should find interesting.  Ever cut down two trees at the same time, using one to pull the other over?  It is not the recommended way of doing things but my engineer mind figured out how to make it work.  I sought input from multiple people on how to do this.  I went with the plan my father gave me on which cuts to make and what order.  He's been dropping trees for around 70 years.

Both trees were very crooked and knots all over.  They were ugly trees that were never going to be good for lumber.  One tree was a hackberry and the other a walnut.  I'm very happy to get rid of that lone walnut tree in the middle of the yard.  In 10 years I might finally be able to get regular plants to grow there.

Cutting Down Trees - Using One Tree to Pull Over Another

Here is what the trees looked like back in 2017.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Cutting the two trees down was the easy part.  Removing the root ball from the ground was the major effort.  It took 6 hours with my bucket and backhoe to get the root ball free and then out of the hole it was in.  It was way too heavy for my tractor to lift it and the hydraulics don't even budge it.  I got it out be ramming it and once it started to move a little using the hydraulics.  I started filling the dirt back in around that, that way every time I rammed the stumps the hole would fill in slightly.  I have a video of finally getting the stumps to break lose, it is still completely light.  I took a picture once I had the stump out of the hole and it was completely dark.

Starting to dig around the roots.

Attachment Attached File

I had a 3 to 4 foot hole dug around the trees but the stumps would not budge.  Using the chain did nothing.  I even tried to scoop under the corner of one stump with the bucket and it would not budge.

Attachment Attached File

I worked all the way around the stumps digging and prying with the bucket and absolutely no movement at all.

Attachment Attached File

So I got creative.  I broke out the pressure washer to blast some of the dirt away to see what I was working with and hopefully the loosen the soil.  I had dug below the stumps and was able to clear out dirt under the stumps, yet they would not budge.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#38]
After covering myself in mud splashing back from the pressure washer I was finally able to get a little movement.  At that point I knew I could work the stumps loose.  Here are the last 2 minutes of that effort.  It is not the most entertaining video but it shows the effort required just to break the stumps loose.

After picture.  The stumps have moved but the entire root ball is still  in a deep hole and my tractor is not strong enough to lift it more than an inch.

Attachment Attached File

I finally got the root ball out of the hole after dark.  This picture shows the size of the root ball compared to my tractor.

Attachment Attached File

The root ball the next day with better lighting and the hole filled back in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Once I had the ground clear I did a test layout for the solar system.  I thought removing those two big trees would give me enough room but once I started looking at it I was not happy.  THe four stakes in a line in the middle of the picture represent where the posts would go and the width of the panels.  Initially had thought of putting the panels in front of the skinny tree but it is a maple and would continue to grow and eventually shade the panels.  I moved the stakes down but realized the maple would eventually partially shade some of the panels during summer.  Also the sun is still going lower for another month and on the right hand side you can see the shade from other trees.  Those shadows will get longer for the next month.

Attachment Attached File

The gray line represents shadows from other trees.  The blue lines are the line of sight from the big windows on the house.  The solar panels would be in the shade part of the year and blocking the view.  This spot was not going to work well.

Attachment Attached File

I changed my plans.  If I could move the panels left and up, that would get them out of the shade and out of the line of sight.  But to do that I would have to take our more trees.  The tall hackberry on the left was already on my list of trees to remove.  I creates too much shade as it is and since I remove the other 2 big trees it would start reaching to the right.  The only sticking point was the skinny maple.  It is a great looking tree and I had wanted to save it.  When I cut the two trees together I did that in order to save the maple as the hackberry was leaning in such a way it would have crushed the maple.  Now it looks like the maple needs to go anyway.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:36:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#40]
This tree needs to come down.

Attachment Attached File

And it did.  Sorry no sound.  I was scrambling to get the work done and not thinking about all aspects of making a video.  Notice that I dropped the tree between all of my stakes and didn't mess anything up.

Tree on the ground and trimming the branches.

Attachment Attached File

Brush piled up

Attachment Attached File

The tree is cut up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 5:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#41]
My plan is to build an adjustable frame so that I change the angle of the panels during the year to better match the angle of the sun and be more efficient.  We have a huge swing in angles here from 28 in the winter to 76 in the summer.

Here the preliminary drawing of how that would work and the elevation of the front and the back panels.  I haven't decided how deep I will bury the supports or how tall I would want the top of the panels in winter which is when they would be at the highest point.

If my supports are 8 feet above ground then in the winter the bottom of the panels will be only 2.75 ft above the ground and the top will be almost 12.5.  We can get snow storms of 10 to 12 inches but it generally melts pretty quick instead of accumulating.  I'm considering putting the supports 9 feet above ground which gives me more ground clearance but makes it harder to put the structure together.

Right now I have 10 panels and each panel weights 40 pounds, plus some extra weight for the micro-inverters and power cables.  The racks will be around 80 pounds.  That puts me close to 500 pounds that the support structure will need to carry.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 4:34:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#42]
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#43]
My dad (when he was a boy) used to dig black walnut root out by hand, to sell.  I was little when I learned that, and I gained new respect for him, and what he had to do to survive when he was young.

Oh, and when that chain flew off of that stump, I uttered a really ugly four-letter word, really loudly, and scared the cats.

I knew with my mind that you were still alive, but I couldn't help it.  Kept waiting for you to walk onscreen and prove you were not dead.  That right there would make me walk away.
View All Quotes
Cutting the two trees down was the easy part.  Removing the root ball from the ground was the major effort.  It took 6 hours with my bucket and backhoe to get the root ball free and then out of the hole it was in.  It was way too heavy for my tractor to lift it and the hydraulics don't even budge it.  I got it out be ramming it and once it started to move a little using the hydraulics.  I started filling the dirt back in around that, that way every time I rammed the stumps the hole would fill in slightly.  I have a video of finally getting the stumps to break lose, it is still completely light.  I took a picture once I had the stump out of the hole and it was completely dark.

Starting to dig around the roots.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/dig1_jpg-1166481.JPG

I had a 3 to 4 foot hole dug around the trees but the stumps would not budge.  Using the chain did nothing.  I even tried to scoop under the corner of one stump with the bucket and it would not budge.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/dig2_jpg-1166482.JPG

I worked all the way around the stumps digging and prying with the bucket and absolutely no movement at all.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/dig3_jpg-1166483.JPG

So I got creative.  I broke out the pressure washer to blast some of the dirt away to see what I was working with and hopefully the loosen the soil.  I had dug below the stumps and was able to clear out dirt under the stumps, yet they would not budge.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/dig3_1_jpg-1166484.JPG
My dad (when he was a boy) used to dig black walnut root out by hand, to sell.  I was little when I learned that, and I gained new respect for him, and what he had to do to survive when he was young.

Oh, and when that chain flew off of that stump, I uttered a really ugly four-letter word, really loudly, and scared the cats.

I knew with my mind that you were still alive, but I couldn't help it.  Kept waiting for you to walk onscreen and prove you were not dead.  That right there would make me walk away.
I saw the chain sliding each time I gave it a pull.  I was expecting it to pop off and hoping it wouldn't fling over the tractor.  Of course I could have gotten off the tractor and reset it...but I was tired of getting on and off the tractor at that point. It was hooked on the bucket and the bucket raised higher than stumps in hopes that the bucket would catch it.  It worked but wasn't the smartest idea.

Walnut tree roots are no joke.  They put out massive roots and they extend far from the tree.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Your drone footage is getting pretty nice!   i should have thought to ask you to film my new property before i started the work - I'm horrible about doing before/after shots.

If you plan on snatching out the stumps or pushing them over (or like me, a combination of both until something breaks!), fell the tree up higher, leaving as tall a stump as feasible to act as longer lever with when pushing or pulling.  A few feet in heights adds a lot of mechanical advantage.  Also, some tackle to compound the pull force (and get you out of the direct line of pull) would speed things up and save you or the equipment.

Some handy tables and diagrams, here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Your drone footage is getting pretty nice!   i should have thought to ask you to film my new property before i started the work - I'm horrible about doing before/after shots.

If you plan on snatching out the stumps or pushing them over (or like me, a combination of both until something breaks!), fell the tree up higher, leaving as tall a stump as feasible to act as longer lever with when pushing or pulling.  A few feet in heights adds a lot of mechanical advantage.  Also, some tackle to compound the pull force (and get you out of the direct line of pull) would speed things up and save you or the equipment.

Some handy tables and diagrams, here.
View Quote
Thank you for posting that.  Lots of good information and I bookmarked it for later.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 4:30:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#46]
Rain is slowing down my solar project but I've still made a little bit of progress in prepping the area.

I finally got the stump of the last big tree cut down to ground level.  For a frame of reference the saw has a 20 inch bar on it.

Attachment Attached File

Some of the lumber for the solar panel mount.  The top piece is actually a cardboard box that contains the aluminum bars for mounting solar panels.

Attachment Attached File

I went to the orchard and was surprised by what I found.  Despite several days in a row of below freezing temperatures weeks ago and the fact that all the other trees have lost their leaves, this peach tree still has green leaves.  The variety is Flamin'Fury PF 24-C-Cold Hardy Peach.  It is a freestone peach that ripens 3 weeks after Red Havens do.  All my peach trees came from https://www.grandpasorchard.com/ and I was very impressed with the quality of the trees.

Attachment Attached File

This is what the other peach trees look like.

Attachment Attached File

Obligatory picture of the waterfall.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:10:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#47]
New decorations on the front of the house for the Holidays.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Pretty entry. I love the wreath hanger.
View All Quotes
New decorations on the front of the house for the Holidays.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/IMG_20191129_182945678_jpg-1178383.JPG
Pretty entry. I love the wreath hanger.
I'm just happy that I have one part of the house that looks nice that I can show off.
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top