Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Feeding the cows last night, be I walk up to the barn to find one of our big meat roosters sitting just outside the door freshly dead. No apparent external issues.

I guess this one died of cardiac arrest. Or the constant hen gang rape killed him. Not sure.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for taking time to post all that you do.

Interesting read where I learn something.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for taking time to post all that you do.

Interesting read where I learn something.
View Quote
You bet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I cheat as much as possible:

How Dig Potatoes the EASY way. No fork/shovel needed!
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Sitting in my recliner in the new house, I'm being watched....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sitting in my recliner in the new house, I'm being watched....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/165887/KIMG0331-352362.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#10]
New rocks for this year and our first snowfall. I guess it confused them because they are spending the night on the steps.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Now it's a party...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Wife has been feeding them out the door.

They are back to the coop now 
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Got the water heater, water softener, and shower hooked up yesterday. For the first time in 2 months, we now have hot, soft water on demand. First time in a month we don't have to shower by heating water on the stove and standing in a tote 
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got the water heater, water softener, and shower hooked up yesterday. For the first time in 2 months, we now have hot, soft water on demand. First time in a month we don't have to shower by heating water on the stove and standing in a tote 
View Quote
It's easy to forget just how good we have it sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes outside is secured for cold. I'd like to get some more work done on the foundation, luckily we will be in the 40's again for a couple days before it stays below freezing again. Still have fence posts to pound 
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#19]
We have a chicken with insomnia, or maybe nocturnal?

One of our meat birds (no, I haven't butchered yet. its on my list), specifically a hen, runs around all night instead of roosting somewhere.

Also, my son's pet duck decided its a rooster. It decided to join in the roosters every morning and give its best rooster alarm clock it can give. Right outside our bedroom window. Every morning. Hours before we get up. Over and over again.

Darn trans-species animals...
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m going to need some good quality audio of the duck.
Make it my new ringtone.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Im going to need some good quality audio of the duck.
Make it my new ringtone.
View Quote
When that thing is going like crazy at 5:30 in the morning, the only device I consider grabbing involves far less technology than audio recorders
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We have a chicken with insomnia, or maybe nocturnal?

One of our meat birds (no, I haven't butchered yet. its on my list), specifically a hen, runs around all night instead of roosting somewhere.

Also, my son's pet duck decided its a rooster. It decided to join in the roosters every morning and give its best rooster alarm clock it can give. Right outside our bedroom window. Every morning. Hours before we get up. Over and over again.

Darn trans-species animals...
View Quote
Sounds like the duck identifies as a meat bird...

Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#25]
My son's adopted squirrel is doing well.

An anyone else tries to touch this squirrel, it goes on full attack.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Progress on the house had been painfully slow.

Got the master bath drains fully hooked up tonight though. Before that, I've been working on electrical.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Got our first electric bill.

Didn't have the hot water heater hooked up, but electric heaters keeping the new house warm and otherwise up and going. Electric usage was half of last year, and this October was colder than last year.

New house is built on energy efficiency. All let lights, well insulated, and not a 135 year old drafty log house!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Got our first electric bill.

Didn't have the hot water heater hooked up, but electric heaters keeping the new house warm and otherwise up and going. Electric usage was half of last year, and this October was colder than last year.

New house is built on energy efficiency. All let lights, well insulated, and not a 135 year old drafty log house!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/165887/KIMG0352-369859.JPG
View Quote
That is awesome!
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#31]
inspectors here like to see sloppy primer/solvent work, to make sure you used enough.

Plus, I kind of spilled my primer/solvent off the ladder at one point, making a huge mess

That is why you NEVER start a PVC project w/o 2 sets of primer/solvent!
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Its not an "if" I finish the basement, I have 5 weeks and we have over 20 people coming.

Wife has handed down the deadline
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Its not an "if" I finish the basement, I have 5 weeks and we have over 20 people coming.

View Quote
Hopefully your get a budget increase for help to pick up the pace.
In my company, most projects are on a 90 day schedule.
To speed things up, I charge $1k per day for the first week, then add $1k per additional day to what the previous day cost. Very very rarely do we ever speed up a job.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
To speed things up, I charge $1k per day for the first week, then add $1k per additional day to what the previous day cost. Very very rarely do we ever speed up a job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Na, no budget increase. I just keep plugging away at it. In fact, I'll be bringing the office with me once kiddo wakes up (insomnia hit last night again) and heading down to work on probably electrical. Or maybe work on plumbing in the cold water main and toilet line. Haven't decided.

Oh wait, I need more junction boxes. Will be plumbing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Pic of mama rock and her self hatched chick. She has raised this chick on her own, 100%. Been interesting watching her do her thing teaching it to forage. Chick is a rooster. It's a rock hen freedom ranger rooster hybrid, which we figured out to be sex link. The rock looking chicks have always been roosters. Not a good hybrid, as the hens have issues and the roosters have little breast meat, but fun watching them none the less. Mama is standing up.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#37]
In that last pic, that is part of garden in the background, completely destroyed for the house daylight drain.

Sacrifices...
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Awww.  Did she just decide to go it on her own?

She deserves a medal for doing that all by herself in the wilds of the Great White North.
View Quote
Yup. I figured she was dead until she comes around one day with a little peeper. She has had zero human help!
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Since I'm SO far behind with the house and everything, my younger brother (the one that has helped with the house a lot) is tearing down the Bobcat engine for me. He is only working on it in the evenings, but tonight he got the engine out, head off, and one piston out.

So far we know this:
The heads are dirty. The outer cylinders had some oil above the pistons. No idea of the valves yet, but I may lap them before re-assembly.
We need at least 1 piston, the piston was broke. Not catastrophic, but the casting between the oil scraper and bottom ring was broken into several pieces.
The cylinder walls look good.
Its a solid bet that the other two cylinders need at least rings.

Parts prices are looking good, at least compared to the Onan in the 316 that I gave a ring/valve job to last winter. Pistons are $50, rings are $50 (per piston). A full engine overhaul kit is $550, which is all pistons/rings/bearings/gaskets. Its tempting, but if I can fix this for $200 now (1 piston, 3 rings) I'll just do that. Money is very tight.

I need to head over there in the next couple days for more corn and hay, so I'll bring my engine tools and we will mic the cylinders and take a good look at what we need. Looks like it will be either a $200 or $300 repair. Not bad.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#42]
You don't watch my youtube vids

j/k

While I used the little bobcat in construction of the basement, she was getting harder and harder to start and loosing power. The day we needed to start it up to get it out of the basement, she would not fire for anything: too little compression.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Just started following along.  Whereabouts in MN are you doing this?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Promised my wife I would not get specific, but I am south of International Falls and north of I-90 . My dirt is black instead of sand/gravel, but that is as specific as I can get.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Promised my wife I would not get specific, but I am south of International Falls and north of I-90 . My dirt is black instead of sand/gravel, but that is as specific as I can get.
View Quote
Wasn't looking for too specific, I was just curious as I'm doing something similar.  Though our dirt is clay which has its own challenges as far as the crops go.

No power here and only water is a artest an well.  My wife won't leave our current house so this has been my cabin, though hopefully move there when kids get older.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wasn't looking for too specific, I was just curious as I'm doing something similar.  Though our dirt is clay which has its own challenges as far as the crops go.

No power here and only water is a artest an well.  My wife won't leave our current house so this has been my cabin, though hopefully move there when kids get older.
View Quote
Putting pigs and chickens on the land for a few years will go a LONG way toward building up the soil . Both are easy to set out feeders and only go out every few weeks, especially with an artesian well. Ideally you would use a solar deer feeder type automatic feeder to do the feeding. Then just butcher everything in the fall for freezer meat!
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Forgot to say: if you every have questions for me, feel free to ask here, IM me, or even ask in the YouTube comments sections of the vids! If you have a question that may benefit more folks, feel free to start a thread, as KwS is always probing for more content in forum. More YouTube vids will start coming out once I get caught up on the house construction. In the mean time, its 4 hours of sleep then work until I can't stay awake anymore (which isn't long on 4 hours of sleep).
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not the recent ones, no.  

Not because I don't want to.

Just time. I jump on, catch up best I can, and jump off.  I hope that changes soon.
View Quote
No sweat, just nudging your ribs a little . I fully understand lack of time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Update on the little bobcat:

I went there last night and took my tools. Another piston was broken, but the third was fine. I'm just going to replace all 3.

Cylinders still have cross hatching on them, they will clean up beautiful.

The rings were way too swishy, definitely lost tension.

Looks like it will be a$300 repair.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top