Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Things have been busy around the homestead but slowly getting things done on the new building.  The electrician got the rough in finished up this week.  Turned out very well!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Next up will be getting the plumber out to get the lay of the land so he can start roughing in all of the plumbing.  Next on my to do list will be finish the pad for the AC condensers so our HVAC guy can get them set and the AC in the garage portion commissioned and running.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
On top of our day jobs, all the spring chores and the new building we have been trying to get our pole barn rearranged and some improvements made.

New lights, can't see anything inside with the overhead door shut.  
Get the air compressor we got off my parents anchored down, wired up and air lines plumbed.
Cleaned some stuff out and rearrange all the contents so we can easily access everything we need to get to.

Current lighting situation:

Attachment Attached File

Don't pay attention to the current disaster of a workbench  This was taken on a bright sunny day with the overhead door open.  Much darker in person.  We need to get our tools rearranged and into the rolling tool chests we got from her dad.

We are putting three 8' 5500K LED integrated tube lights on the bottom of every other truss.  There will be 15 of these lights total when we're done.  Should make for nice even lighting in the entire building and be PLENTY bright  Should get us up around 80 ish foot candles on the floor.  In the process of getting ready to put these in I discovered the current wiring (what little there is) absolutely sucks.  Will be tearing all of that out and starting over.

Our plan this weekend is to get the lights done and air compressor wired up.  I also have a Parker FRL for the air compressor on the way we need to get mounted and plumbed in.

I need another project like I need another hole in my head, so I went out and bought a 1964 1/2 Mustang project car  I couldn't let my wife have all the fun with her Chevelle
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love that lighting.  I think it's depressing to walk into a dim building where you can barely see.

Bright light in a big building like that makes all the difference.  We need to do that in our garage.  The single bulb hanging from a little ceramic dealy is not cutting it.

The projects never end.
View Quote
Agreed!  I'm a big fan of these.  Pretty minimalistic, cheap, and effective.

Got most of them hung tonight.  Still need to hang 2 more 8'ers.  I think I'll come back and put a 4' light at the end of each row.  Already a huge improvement over what we had

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
ost
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the air compressor anchored and wired today.  Still need a few fittings and mount for the FRL to get it finished up.

Attachment Attached File

FRL will be wall mounted just to the right of the compressor.

Attachment Attached File

Now of it it would just stop raining so I can get some yard work done
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 2:21:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.  And amen.
View Quote
We finally had a couple nice days so I could get some yard work done.  Still had to mow around water puddles, managed to get the yard sprayed with 2,4-D to knock back the dandelions.  Now rain again all week
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

FRL will be wall mounted just to the right of the compressor.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/F40CFFEA-6F25-48F0-9C38-18164CE99CB0_jpeg-926852.JPG
View Quote
Pardon my ignorance, but why do you need an FRL?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pardon my ignorance, but why do you need an FRL?
View Quote
I don't really need a full up FRL but at minimum I need a regulator so I can run everything at 90-100 psi.  The pressure switch on our compressor cuts in at 145 and cuts out at 160 psi IIRC.

The filter and dryer in front of the regulator is definitely nice to have.  The compressor makes a LOT of water when it is humid out.  I'll only use the oiler if I'm going to be running air tools for an extended period of time.  I'll need to shut it off to run any paint guns or the sand blaster.

Buying the FRL made sense to me vs buying a stand alone regulator and dryer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't really need a full up FRL but at minimum I need a regulator so I can run everything at 90-100 psi.  The pressure switch on our compressor cuts in at 145 and cuts out at 160 psi IIRC.

The filter and dryer in front of the regulator is definitely nice to have.  The compressor makes a LOT of water when it is humid out.  I'll only use the oiler if I'm going to be running air tools for an extended period of time.  I'll need to shut it off to run any paint guns or the sand blaster.

Buying the FRL made sense to me vs buying a stand alone regulator and dryer.
View Quote
Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation.  I've only ever had a little household pancake compressor, so I've not had to worry about such things.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation.  I've only ever had a little household pancake compressor, so I've not had to worry about such things.
View Quote
No problem!

I've been pretty happy with how it turned out.  The whole system has held 150 psi for a week with the compressor turned off
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pavelow, what is the cost for those bulbs when they burn out?

I always go looking at that before I choose a fixture.  Even if the fixture is cheap, some I've seen get you with the bulb cost.

I'm looking at doing our old detached garage (built in the 1920s I think) and also the basement of the rehab house is going to need more light. These look plenty bright.  Just worried about those long bulbs.
View Quote
@Kitties-with-Sigs

They are an "integrated" fixture so the fixture is the bulb.  Makes for a nice clean and compact light.  The downside is if it burns out you have to replace the entire fixture.  The good thing is they are rated for more than 50,000 hours.

I bought the 8' lights from a friend who runs his own lighting company on the side so I get them at cost.  They were $22 per 8' light.

They are very similar to these that are available on Amazon except ours are supposed to be a little higher quality.. Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#15]
It just won't stop raining  We've had a few dry days here and there and managed to get a little bit done, as well as fixing storm damage.  The storm this past weekend ripped a bunch of facia off the house and one downspout.  Got the downspout replaced but the facia is custom order and won't be in until June 5

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

New one is much better

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#16]
We finally got the stand pipes for the leach field cut off and buried.  The yard looks much better now and less stuff to mow around!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Backfilled and brought the area around each one up to grade with topsoil dig out dig out of the woods.  Liberally worked in grass seed.  Should look much better in a few weeks!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Things are slowly coming along on the new building.  Got a pad for the AC condensers put in today.  Still need a few hundred tons of dirt hauled in around the building to get the slopes to a point where I can easily mow them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice progress!

Do you still have a link to the tier 1 large mailbox you put in awhile back? I don't remember what page of the thread it was on.  Thanks!

eta: found it!
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice progress!

Do you still have a link to the tier 1 large mailbox you put in awhile back? I don't remember what page of the thread it was on.  Thanks!

eta: found it!
View Quote
Thank you!

Here you go

ETA:  just saw your ETA
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Slowly making progress on the new building.  Have a concrete contractor lined up for pouring the shower basin, plumber lined up for roughing in the house plumbing, and a drywall guy lined up.  Looking to get all of that completed in the next couple months.

This week our propane provider got the gas line buried.  Was just run laying on the ground because the ground was froze when they did the initial install .  HVAC guys also got the garage AC condenser set and commissioned.  2 ton 16 SEER American Standard unit, nothing fancy.  The house condenser will get set between this one and the man door.  We now have a climate controlled garage to work in .  This will definitely be where the Chevelle gets its new interior put in this winter.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Also, the lights we put up in our pole barn are working out great for my current project

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bump...all okay at the Pavelow homestead?

Hoping you're quiet cuz you're so busy finishing your awesome shed/house.
View Quote
All is well!

Should have LOTS of progress pics in the next month.  We had kind of hit a stopping point on the house until my parents had sold theirs.  They just accepted an offer and set a closing date so I just got kicked into high gear to get it livable in the near future

In the next month we should have plumbing roughed in, electrical in the garage finished, drywall up, house floor done, house HVAC finished up, shower basin poured, and the shower tiled.

Between work, all of that, building a '65 Mustang, lining everything up for an engine and tranny swap in the Chevelle, bottle feeding a kitten, rebuilding a hit and miss engine, and various projects around our house we've just been buried .

Will be sure to get some good pics of everything and get some updates posted in here.

Obligatory kitten pic.  Wife found it at work and had to give it a good home.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Love that lighting.  I think it's depressing to walk into a dim building where you can barely see.

Bright light in a big building like that makes all the difference.  We need to do that in our garage.  The single bulb hanging from a little ceramic dealy is not cutting it.

The projects never end.
View Quote
I've finally accepted this in my mid 40's, the projects never end.

ETA: that's a good looking cow-cat, I had a black and white stray I picked up that made it to age 20.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Not going to lie, after two decades of “finishing” other people’s work that is sexy as hell.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:06:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've finally accepted this in my mid 40's, the projects never end.

ETA: that's a good looking cow-cat, I had a black and white stray I picked up that made it to age 20.  Good luck!
View Quote
No they don't.  Between work and managing this project and working on it we have not had time for our project cars.

The kitten is doing well!  Just turned 5 weeks old and is now weaned and litter box trained.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not going to lie, after two decades of "finishing" other people's work that is sexy as hell.
View Quote
I have been VERY happy with the electrician on this project.  Him and his guys have done a great job and their prices can't be beat.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Been buried and haven't had time for a lot of updates in here.  Things are progressing along pretty well.

Drywall threw a wrench into the plans.  We were planning on having only the house drywalled initially so we could get everything moved out of the garage and open it up to be drywalled a month or two later.  When I had them out to quote they quoted the house, the garage, and new drywall in the attached garage on our house that we wanted to do at a later date.  The hangers came back and said they would only do it all at once.  So it has been a scramble to get our attached garage ready for drywall and the electrical rough in done on my parents garage.

I got the drain out in the shower and pea gravel fill in.  Just waiting on membrane to show up so my tile guy can pour the shower basin.

The electricians are finishing up the rough in of my parents garage today.

The plumber I had lined up to rough in the house backed out a week ago.  Had to scramble to find someone to get it roughed in this week to be ready for drywall next week.  Got lucky and found a good plumber who had room in his schedule to fit us in.  He should be finished up today.

Drywall gets delivered next Monday, hung next Tuesday or Wednesday then the finisher will start on it.

Tentatively scheduled to get vinyl plank flooring installed the week of Aug 5, we just have to get cabinets installed before then .

HVAC guys will be back to finish up the house install the week of Aug 12.

Oh, by the way, my parents sell their house today and will be moving up here Aug 3 .

Got a busy few weeks ahead.  I'll try to post updates and pics as I can.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Our attached garage had drywall on the walls that had never been finished.  Was 12 years old, was installed by a hack and the finisher wasn't confident it would turn out well.  We made the decision to go ahead and rip it out and just have new drywall installed and finished.

My wonderful wife tore most of the old drywall out.

Attachment Attached File

While she was doing that I concentrated on getting vents installed and insulated so we could blow in insulation and putting in new boxes and receptacles so we could change the lighting layout.

Attachment Attached File

Our attached garage is now ready for drywall
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#32]
@Kitties-with-Sigs

Shes now 5 weeks old

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Plumbing and electrical rough in are complete.  Drywall starts this week!

My parents sold sold their house this past Friday.  They'll be moving up here next weekend.  Will be finishing everything up while they're living in it
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Made one last trip down to my parents this weekend to get one last load of large items.

Dad's large rolling toolbox, Kubota RTV 1100 with heat and AC (will be a welcome addition around here ), table saw, extension ladder, Stihl telescoping pole saw, etc...

With all of this stuff all of the buildings are FULL.  We will have a lot of stuff parked in the yard this week so it's out of the way for the drywall guys .

Wound up with just a little too much tongue weight on the trailer.  The hitch on the trailer also needed moved down a bit so it was more level.  Didn't catch it till after we already had it loaded.  Said f**k it and pulled it home anyway.  Towed great and didn't cause any issues.  Looked a lot better when on level pavement.

Absolutely loving my truck.  The 3.5 EcoBoost tows great!  Plenty of power and can tow while my ass is in an air conditioned seat  Averaged 13.2 MPG with the loaded trailer.  Better than my Powerstroke got while not towing

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Drywall got delivered today.  Still not sure if they'll be hanging it tomorrow or Wednesday.  Either way, it'll be hung in a day and the finisher will be right behind them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Did it get dag approval?
View Quote
Passed the sniff test
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#42]
We've got drywall hung!

4 guys hung ~3,100 sq ft of drywall in about 7 hours yesterday.  Pretty happy with it overall.  I've seen better and I've seen worse.  Finisher starts tomorrow!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Are there any vinyl plank flooring experts in here?  I apparently got hired to install it in the entire house  I've laid about every other kind of floor but this is a new one for me.

Any special tools I need?  Best way to cut it?  I assume the usual carbide blades for laminate flooring with the correct hook angle will work?
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Are there any vinyl plank flooring experts in here?  I apparently got hired to install it in the entire house  I've laid about every other kind of floor but this is a new one for me.

Any special tools I need?  Best way to cut it?  I assume the usual carbide blades for laminate flooring with the correct hook angle will work?
View Quote
I've installed a little bit. score and snap works just fine, but since it sounds like you're doing the whole house invest in a guillotine style cutter. Super quick and clean cuts. For complex cuts i used my oscillating tool.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 4:08:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've installed a little bit. score and snap works just fine, but since it sounds like you're doing the whole house invest in a guillotine style cutter. Super quick and clean cuts. For complex cuts i used my oscillating tool.
View Quote
I've heard they work well.  Any advice on brand and model?
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would go with a cutter. It will save a lot of time and make things easier

Something like this should work

Cutter

I am sure there are other brands as well

We had ours installed so i have never installed, but i really like the LVP.  We went with the SmartCore Ultra from Lowes and i really like it.  It is one of the better quality ones with a thick wear layer and reasonably priced.  Coretec is good stuff to from when i researched
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
For the cutter or the oscillating tool?

No idea on the vinyl flooring cutter. I borrowed if from a buddy. I think it was just a cheap model he picked up at the home center.
I just know it was a whole lot nicer and easier than a utility knife and cleaner than the miter saw.

Oscilating cutter is 20v brushless dewalt. I just used standard fine wood blades because I had them and wasn't doing much flooring. I'm sure there are better options for cutters though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I would go with a cutter. It will save a lot of time and make things easier

Something like this should work

Cutter

I am sure there are other brands as well

We had ours installed so i have never installed, but i really like the LVP.  We went with the SmartCore Ultra from Lowes and i really like it.  It is one of the better quality ones with a thick wear layer and reasonably priced.  Coretec is good stuff to from when i researched
View Quote
Awesome, thanks!  Even from Amazon, gotta rack up those points
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

For the cutter or the oscillating tool?

No idea on the vinyl flooring cutter. I borrowed if from a buddy. I think it was just a cheap model he picked up at the home center.
I just know it was a whole lot nicer and easier than a utility knife and cleaner than the miter saw.

Oscilating cutter is 20v brushless dewalt. I just used standard fine wood blades because I had them and wasn't doing much flooring. I'm sure there are better options for cutters though.
View Quote
Cutter.  I'll probably pick one up like the poster above you linked.

Ive got a Bosch oscillating tool.  Might see if I can get some blades for it made for that kind of flooring.  It's one of the handiest tools I have!
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Drywall is taped!  Things are moving right along.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top