BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You know...I'm guessing that varies by region.

Around here, I can't think of anything short of a bobcat that could rip through a metal screen--or maybe the predators I've encountered just don't want chicken that much?--  Anyway, there aren't many bobcats around here.  Had one rooster fight and kill one (that's a story for certain).

Otherwise, metal window screening has kept them at bay for as long as I've kept chickens.  (That's a good long time--ain't sayin' how long. )
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use 1/4" hardware cloth, rather than screen. Predators can rip through any screen.

When you put in any ventilation or windows, put them where they won't cause any draft across the roosts. You need the air exchange, for heat in the Summer and to remove moisture in the Winter (moisture is what causes frostbite/frozen combs), but having it blow on them directly can cause problems too.

Around here, I can't think of anything short of a bobcat that could rip through a metal screen--or maybe the predators I've encountered just don't want chicken that much?--  Anyway, there aren't many bobcats around here.  Had one rooster fight and kill one (that's a story for certain).

Otherwise, metal window screening has kept them at bay for as long as I've kept chickens.  (That's a good long time--ain't sayin' how long. )

When we used to have chickens at my parents house, we had to put heavy duty screening on the inside of all windows. Sometimes it was the chickens that would fly into the screening and sometimes it was raccoons that would push it in to get to the chickens. My coop will have coated wire on the inside of the windows to prevent any of the problems. I am also goin to copy the "chicken door" that my Grandfather built. It was on a wooden track and had a screw eye in the top. There was a cable that ran from the top of the door through some rollers on the ceiling and came out to the front side of the coop where the entry door was. The end of the cable had a ring on it and there were two nails to hang the ring on. Top ring, the chicken door was closed, bottom ring and the chicken door was open. It worked very well and made it possible to let them in or out without having to go into the coop.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I am also goin to copy the "chicken door" that my Grandfather built. It was on a wooden track and had a screw eye in the top. There was a cable that ran from the top of the door through some rollers on the ceiling and came out to the front side of the coop where the entry door was. The end of the cable had a ring on it and there were two nails to hang the ring on. Top ring, the chicken door was closed, bottom ring and the chicken door was open. It worked very well and made it possible to let them in or out without having to go into the coop.
View Quote

I use a rope and pulleys almost the same way. I mounted the cleat from a boat onto the front of my coop, so I can easily see that if it's hooked the pop door is open.

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's some more pics I took this morning;

Vent on front of coop, which is a cold air return vent with hardware cloth behind it.

Pop door open.

Another vent on the back of the coop.

Crank-open window, with hardware cloth.

The roost is between the level of the two vents on this side, so that no breeze blows on them.

My Silkie hen.

My EE roo, Silkie again, and my EE hen.

Sorry...nothing wrong with your post...it's excellent....edited by accident when I meant to quote...cuz the site staff thinks it's funny to put the edit button right by the quote button so everybody can laugh at us mods.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, basically the same idea. I remember it working well during cleaning and feeding and such. I used to throw some food out in the run to "lure" the chickens out and then I would go around and close the door from the outside of the coop. It definitely made life easier!
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll try to remember to take pics of that tomorrow.

Edit: The cleat is from a boat that the previous owner left in the woods;

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You guys...show the track mechanism for the chicken door...so we know how to build it...

I LOVE the boat cleat.  Beginner sailor here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome, basically the same idea. I remember it working well during cleaning and feeding and such. I used to throw some food out in the run to "lure" the chickens out and then I would go around and close the door from the outside of the coop. It definitely made life easier!

You guys...show the track mechanism for the chicken door...so we know how to build it...

Our chicken coop was demolished about 15 years ago so I don't have any pictures.
I will take pictures as our new one is built. Basically it was a piece of plywood with a frame and it sat in a track that was made out of wood.
It looked something like this
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Use 1/4" hardware cloth, rather than screen. Predators can rip through any screen.

When you put in any ventilation or windows, put them where they won't cause any draft across the roosts. You need the air exchange, for heat in the Summer and to remove moisture in the Winter (moisture is what causes frostbite/frozen combs), but having it blow on them directly can cause problems too.

raccoon will tear right through metal screen if they are so inclined for chicken. You can dramatically negate them by laying out sacrificial food. Cat food works well, if you don't have cats that will eat it all. Of course, it helps to put said "food" in a live trap, then changing its title to "bait"

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Our chicken coop was demolished about 15 years ago so I don't have any pictures.

I will take pictures as our new one is built. Basically it was a piece of plywood with a frame and it sat in a track that was made out of wood.

It looked something like this http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j477/jpmako19/Mobile%20Uploads/B26BC161-D3BC-4340-81DD-1A2EC1A0C6E8_zpsu67i5bct.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looked something like this http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j477/jpmako19/Mobile%20Uploads/B26BC161-D3BC-4340-81DD-1A2EC1A0C6E8_zpsu67i5bct.jpg

Do you have an issue with bedding building up in the track preventing closure?

We have damned determined raccoon here apparently, as I had to significantly beef up the door and I installed an auto-latching gate latch, as the raccoon figured out they could simply lift the door to gain entry!

I'll take a pic today.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Interesting.  Y'all must have some serious raccoons.  One would get in the henhouse just every now and then when I was growing up, but the population was low around where we lived.  I've never had any issues with coons and my chickens since I moved a little further west.  Maybe I've just gotten lucky.  I know they're around here. I see their scat in the barn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

raccoon will tear right through metal screen if they are so inclined for chicken. You can dramatically negate them by laying out sacrificial food. Cat food works well, if you don't have cats that will eat it all. Of course, it helps to put said "food" in a live trap, then changing its title to "bait"  

Interesting.  Y'all must have some serious raccoons.  One would get in the henhouse just every now and then when I was growing up, but the population was low around where we lived.  I've never had any issues with coons and my chickens since I moved a little further west.  Maybe I've just gotten lucky.  I know they're around here. I see their scat in the barn.
Our raccoons are nasty. I've hit them with 12 gauge goose loads at close range, they just run away . One night I had a bunch in the tree by the chickens. I grabbed my wife's 20 gauge and a box of 000 lead buck shot. Heard a lot of them (counted at least 12) drop 15 feet to the ground after taking a hit, only was able to find 1 dead in the morning . They are shoot on sight around here.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Wow.  I'd be tempted to tow that home and turn it into an awesome outdoor bar near the fire pit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.  I'd be tempted to tow that home and turn it into an awesome outdoor bar near the fire pit.

You're welcome to come get it.

I didn't take pics today, because we had way too much rain for takin' a camera out there.

I've lost some birds to possums, coons (in the coop/run), and bobcats, but by far I've lost the most to foxes (while free ranging).

This one was right outside my bedroom. I heard the attack, opened the window, and while standing in my room shot through the screen with my shotgun. It was loud, and made a big hole in the screen, but achieved the desired result.

Possum dropping by for a snack.

Coon

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I didn't take pics today, because we had way too much rain for takin' a camera out there.

I've lost some birds to possums, coons (in the coop/run), and bobcats, but by far I've lost the most to foxes (while free ranging).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Chickens%202013/2013-8-13Fox3sized.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Chickens%202013/2013-5-22Fox1.jpg

This one was right outside my bedroom. I heard the attack, opened the window, and while standing in my room shot through the screen with my shotgun. It was loud, and made a big hole in the screen, but achieved the desired result.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Chickens%202013/2013-3-20ChickensFoxAttack2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Chickens%202015/2015-5-7%20Cam%201.jpg

Coon
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Chickens%202015/2015-5-7%20Cam%202.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Chickens%202013/2013-8-13Fox3sized.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Chickens%202013/2013-5-22Fox1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Chickens%202013/2013-3-20ChickensFoxAttack2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Chickens%202015/2015-5-7%20Cam%201.jpg

Coon
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Chickens%202015/2015-5-7%20Cam%202.jpg

Can you set a live trap and start catching them critters?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:39:17 AM EDT
[#16]
That's what happened to most of them. I didn't take pics of everything though.
Just popped 'em and dumped 'em.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Worked on the coop today.

Tore out some stuff, because there were lots of mice living on/under/in/behind everything.

Got the new goat pen ready, because I may be getting a couple goats tomorrow.

Now for the pop door opener. The rope comes through the front wall;

...goes up over a pulley;

...over to another pulley;

...and down to the door.

I'm thinking about changing it a bit, and using the metal grate door that's sitting on the ground to the right of the steps.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I went to a small animal swap today, and bought six hens and two dwarf goats. (My first goats)

My roo seemed quite happy to have six more girls around.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Okay new rule.

You cannot post cute goat faces.

I cannot have goats.

Don't make me want goats.

No cute faces.

Got it?
View All Quotes
You will love goats.

Until you get one.

Then you will hate the things.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh my look at those cute baby goats!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I predict that there will be more goat pics.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Most of the chickens on the roost this evening;

These two always go in last, and try to fly up in the most crowded spot. Sometimes two or three will fall at a time due to this.  There's also one little Austrolorp (sp), who insists on sleeping in one of the nest boxes. Even if I wait until it's darker, and put her up on the roost, she jumps down and goes into the nest.

More goat pics, and I had my grand son take a couple with me in them.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#30]
They stand on those pallets a lot, and I've thought about building something a little more challenging for them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I tore down the entire run, and I'm in the process of rebuilding it. It will be much more secure than it ever has been.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#32]
My roo, on the back of my Rzr;

Chicken selfie;

This weeks eggs;

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Your roo has got some nice spurs on him.  2 years old?  My 2 y.o. Rhode Island Red rooster has some awesome spurs.  Good thing he is a mellow guy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm not sure how old he is, but he definitely has some long spurs. I used to have a mean roo, with spurs smaller than that, and I ended up shooting him. (His last attack, he embedded a spur in my rubber boots).

Latest update on my run;

I have the wire up on the whole perimeter, but still need to build/install a gate, put wire over the top (with help from family), and secure the wire around the entire base.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Yep, I am no longer a cheerleader for the GOP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Our newest chicks arrived in the mail yesterday.  Only had one loss in a group of 37.  Pics of what we got -

This a is a Rhode Island Red. Got 11.

Also got 12 Barred Rocks.

This is a New Hampshire Red.  New breed for us.  12 of those.

And one sent along in the box as a "packing peanut".  Think it is a Java but not sure.

We will see how these develop over the summer and then decide how heavy to cull some of our current birds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:58:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice chicks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice video on eggs.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nice video on eggs.

http://youtu.be/Tnm0-Oj73VU

View Quote

holy crap that one is a monster !! get your entire breakfast from one egg lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#45]
I need to get the wire and cover the top of my run. This Owl was only hunting mice, but you never know when they'll start wiping out the chickens.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I was 10 to 15 feet from that Owl, and all it cared about was watching for mice. There were two out there tonight, but neither showed any interest in the chickens.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Just wanted to see if there is interest in me taking the time to take pics of a minor project.

This is our first year of incubating eggs (always bought day old chicks or let the hens do their thing), and I am already sick of turning eggs by hand, and not always around when they need turned.

Also don't want to shell out $60+ for a turner.

Found an egg turner motor (1/240RPM 110 volt motor) for $20 shipped on fleabay.

Have a 3D printer and other supplies around, going to make my own turner.

If anybody wants me to take pics of it and make a little write-up, I will.

ETA: Meh, I'll take pics and such
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Pics! Do it!
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top