Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Planted my garlic last Tuesday.  Earlier than normal, but it was the only spare time for it to be done.  Planted 90 cloves of German White, 21 Music, and 21 Chesnok Red.  Bought the Music, and Chesnok Red this year to give them a try.  Will have to wait until next July/August to see how well they did.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigPumpkins:
Planted my garlic last Tuesday.  Earlier than normal, but it was the only spare time for it to be done.  Planted 90 cloves of German White, 21 Music, and 21 Chesnok Red.  Bought the Music, and Chesnok Red this year to give them a try.  Will have to wait until next July/August to see how well they did.
View Quote

Post pics if you can.  Did you put any mulch down?  We got our first snowfall of the season today and I hadn't gotten my straw down.  I'll do it this week as it will rain and the snow is unlikely to survive.  

When I was planting the garlic, I had some smaller cloves that weren't worth planting as I took bulbs apart.  I ate them and my mouth was on fire!  I had forgotten how hot raw garlic can be.  Music is a good all-around hardneck garlic.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:31:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#3]
10 rows of 9 garlic cloves each so 90 cloves.  This was planted on Sunday 11/13/2016.  We got a couple of days of heavy rain since then so I think they likely rooted out but no chance of the stems growing out.  This was later than I'd wanted, but the railroad wood has been replaced with concrete blocks.  Looks great.  Those are Easter Egger chickens in the second picture to the left.  To the right of the garlic in the second picture, I transplanted the Lovage (I will update the thread on that) and I planted one row of Yellow Multiplier Onions and one row of French Shallots.  I planted more of those in my lower garden as well.  

The concrete blocks turned out very nicely.  No more worrying about the wood rotting.  It was going to need replacement down the road anyway, so I had it done last month.

I also planted 2 Issai Kiwi bushes/vines.  I had to move them temporarily during the renovation so now they're back.  I will be putting up some fencing so they can grow upwards.

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Update:  04/10/2017

I saw my first garlic poking through the soil today.  It's kind of weird because only a few days ago there was snow covering the garlic bed.  My guess is that the garlic stalk started growing a little back in the fall and stayed underground just below the surface.  I will get some pictures up.  

Incidentally, my tulip bulbs planted between the stepping stones pictured in photos on this page above are also poking through,  but my crocuses are still a no-show.  My understanding was crocuses are the earliest to come up.  I guess not?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I got Music (2nd year bulbils), Metechi and Georgian Fire planted last fall. The Georgian Fire is all up right now and I saw my first Metechi plant up today. No Music up yet but they're starting to make their way through the mulch!

It's been a warm winter with a wet spring so far in Twin Cities area of MN. There's been years I haven't seen a garlic plant until the first week of May. The 2nd week of April is the earliest I remember seeing them up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By C-4:

My understanding was crocuses are the earliest to come up.  I guess not?
View Quote
I planted a lot of crocus last fall.  First time doing so.  They are supposed to be earlier than tulips.  I think the weather this year really messed them up. We had 70s in January and high 60's in February but almost all of March was cold.  The tulips look like midget tulips, they didn't grow tall.  The crocus poked up a bit but never came on strong.  

Here is a bed I planted. The left rows are shorter because they are late season tulips.  The front 2/3 is early season.  You can see they were stunted by the cold and struggled.  The crocus most have been hit even harder.

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:
I got Music (2nd year bulbils), Metechi and Georgian Fire planted last fall. The Georgian Fire is all up right now and I saw my first Metechi plant up today. No Music up yet but they're starting to make their way through the mulch!

It's been a warm winter with a wet spring so far in Twin Cities area of MN. There's been years I haven't seen a garlic plant until the first week of May. The 2nd week of April is the earliest I remember seeing them up.
View Quote
We had a very warm winter last year and they came up early and I ended up having to cover them with a tarp and I still ended up with a couple of tips frostbit, something that I thought I'd never see!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
I planted a lot of crocus last fall.  First time doing so.  They are supposed to be earlier than tulips.  I think the weather this year really messed them up. We had 70s in January and high 60's in February but almost all of March was cold.  The tulips look like midget tulips, they didn't grow tall.  The crocus poked up a bit but never came on strong.  

Here is a bed I planted. The left rows are shorter because they are late season tulips.  The front 2/3 is early season.  You can see they were stunted by the cold and struggled.  The crocus most have been hit even harder.

http://www.afterhourtechs.com/Millspring/misc/tulips_crocus.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My understanding was crocuses are the earliest to come up.  I guess not?

http://www.afterhourtechs.com/Millspring/misc/tulips_crocus.jpg
My tulips are considerably smaller and the crocuses are just barely breaking ground.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:29:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#9]
Two quick pictures.  First is from when snow was still on ground and second after it melted but before any growth.  Between the walkway on the right, you can barely see the tulip bulbs.  More pictures to come.

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:08:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#10]
Update:  04/28/2017

Garlic today below.  I planted some Red Russian Kale in the space at the bottom of the picture.  I could have planted the kale far earlier but too many things to do!

Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
My garlic crop this year was pretty blah.  We had a very wet spring, basically rain on and off x 6+ weeks.  

That's when the garlic is supposed to grow the most so it did only so-so.

Yet again, Music and Siberian did the best though.

I planted some bulbils and they grew OK.  I only planted Music and Siberian.  I am curious to see how they
will do when they come up again in the spring.  That's obviously a couple of year plan as they take that long
to develop into bulbs.

I don't have any other garlic bulbs to plant and will order some again next summer depending on how the bulbils
do.  If they don't grow well, I will buy new bulbs for planting.  If they do well, I will transplant them further apart
in the spring.

What are you guys and gals doing?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]

My garlic crop this year was pretty blah.  We had a very wet spring, basically rain on and off x 6+ weeks.  

I planted some bulbils and they grew OK.  I only planted Music and Siberian.  I am curious to see how they
will do when they come up again in the spring.  That's obviously a couple of year plan as they take that long
to develop into bulbs.

I don't have any other garlic bulbs to plant and will order some again next summer depending on how the bulbils
do.  If they don't grow well, I will buy new bulbs for planting.  If they do well, I will transplant them further apart
in the spring.

View Quote
I'm doing my first planting at the new house.  No garden yet so I'll be planting in the front beds.  I ordered a bunch of garlic a while ago, so it should come in a couple weeks.  I may do some tulips too now that your previous post made me think about it.  Always wanted to and this house has no color in the front.  I planned on doing a total tear out after the garlic but that may wait another year.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By samiam513:
I'm doing my first planting at the new house.  No garden yet so I'll be planting in the front beds.  I ordered a bunch of garlic a while ago, so it should come in a couple weeks.  I may do some tulips too now that your previous post made me think about it.  Always wanted to and this house has no color in the front.  I planned on doing a total tear out after the garlic but that may wait another year.
View All Quotes

to develop into bulbs.

in the spring.

My tulips were awesome this past spring.  As I probably noted, it's in the raised garden where I had the railroad ties replaced with a nice concrete block wall.  Voles can't get up there so the bulbs should be safe from them.  It will be interesting to see if they survive and come back again this spring!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:43:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I have my beds tilled up. Right now a flock of turkeys are busy tearing them up taking dirt baths every day.  I'll probably plant the end of the month when I get back from fishing.
View Quote
At least they're not doing it after you'd already planted.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Some of my garlic is a foot tall.  We haven't had too much cold.  I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of my garlic is a foot tall.  We haven't had too much cold.  I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.
View Quote
Yeah, I’m going to plead complete ignorance on how you guys and gals do it down south, minus the info I’ve learned in this thread.  Interested in pictures.

I ended up not planting any garlic this fall.  I do have the garlic bulbils that grew this past summer and I am anxious to see how they do in the spring!

I am going to transplant those in the fall, and likely plant some cloves of Music and Siberian in the fall as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want to get some in the ground in the spring, you can give them a 30 day chill period in the fridge and then get them in the ground right after the thaw.

You won't get them to come out 100% right, but most of them will.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want to get some in the ground in the spring, you can give them a 30 day chill period in the fridge and then get them in the ground right after the thaw.

You won't get them to come out 100% right, but most of them will.
View Quote
I’ll take a look at that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:10:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#20]
@Eagle_19er
@samiam513
@Kitties-with-Sigs
@Waldo

I planted some Music and Siberian garlic bulbils in the spring of 2017.

I had collected some bulbils from my Music and Siberian garlic, that I let flower, in the fall of 2016, kept them in the refrigerator over the winter of 2016/2017, then planted them last spring of 2017.

They grew during the spring and into the summer, literally the size of a 5” blade of grass, then they died back with the hot weather, as a normal garlic bulb would.

I left them in place and I don’t recall if they grew back out in the fall of 2017.

They overwintered 2017/2018 and then poked up this spring.

We got a late snow a little over 2 weeks ago and they were poking up through the snow as pictured below.

They are now ~ 6” long and they seem “bigger” than they were last spring.  Some of the bulbils were exposed by rain which I covered.  They are bigger than when I planted them by about 5 or 6 times.

They still have a lot of growing to do!  I am hoping to transplant them this fall to give them more space.

I will keep this updated with picture or even videos as I have started a YouTube channel.

Stay posted!

Link Posted: 5/3/2018 2:49:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Ive actually got some music garlic going nutso about now.  Also have onion plants that seemed to have over wintered... guess we'll see what those will do this year

I experimented with the organic store bought garlic last year and it worked ok.  I think if I planted them on a normal schedule instead of in a mild january, the yield wouldve been better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Ive actually got some music garlic going nutso about now.  Also have onion plants that seemed to have over wintered... guess we'll see what those will do this year

I experimented with the organic store bought garlic last year and it worked ok.  I think if I planted them on a normal schedule instead of in a mild january, the yield wouldve been better.
View Quote
@Cypher15

1) Music is probably what grows best here, and I’ve grown a number of varieties.  Second best is Siberian which is why I chose to grow those as bulbils as well.  Ideally, given you’re in MD, you should plant them in the fall.  The idea is to get them in the ground when the soil temperature remains below 40F but above 32F.  Between those temperatures, the garlic cloves you plant will send out roots, but it will/should not send up a stock.  The roots keep the clove anchored so frost heaves do not push it out of the ground from the ~ 2” depth you plant them to.  Once the soil thaws in the spring, the clove already has a root system and has a jump start on the growing season!

2) Was the organic garlic hardneck or softneck garlic?  You’re far enough south that they likely both would grow well.  Where I am, softneck garlic doesn’t grow as well.

3) Depending on the onion variety, it will likely go to seed, since they are biennuals.  I grow yellow multiplier onions and walking onions which are essentially perennials, because I haven’t had any luck growing other varieties.  You would have more opportunity to grow a larger variety!
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#23]

@Cypher15

1) Music is probably what grows best here, and I've grown a number of varieties.  Second best is Siberian which is why I chose to grow those as bulbils as well.  Ideally, given you're in MD, you should plant them in the fall.  The idea is to get them in the ground when the soil temperature remains below 40F but above 32F.  Between those temperatures, the garlic cloves you plant will send out roots, but it will/should not send up a stock.  The roots keep the clove anchored so frost heaves do not push it out of the ground from the ~ 2" depth you plant them to.  Once the soil thaws in the spring, the clove already has a root system and has a jump start on the growing season!

2) Was the organic garlic hardneck or softneck garlic?  You're far enough south that they likely both would grow well.  Where I am, softneck garlic doesn't grow as well.

3) Depending on the onion variety, it will likely go to seed, since they are biennuals.  I grow yellow multiplier onions and walking onions which are essentially perennials, because I haven't had any luck growing other varieties.  You would have more opportunity to grow a larger variety!
View Quote
Store bought stuff is almost always softneck.  You can get hardneck in stores though.  Finding it as organic might be a bit tougher.

Patterson F1 is the onion
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]
@Eagle_19er
@samiam513
@Kitties-with-Sigs
@Waldo

I had collected some bulbils from my Music and Siberian garlic, that I let flower, in the fall of 2016, kept them in the refrigerator over the winter of 2016/2017, then planted them last spring of 2017.

They grew during the spring and into the summer, literally the size of a 5" blade of grass, then they died back with the hot weather, as a normal garlic bulb would.

I left them in place and I don't recall if they grew back out in the fall of 2017.

We got a late snow a little over 2 weeks ago and they were poking up through the snow as pictured below.

They are now ~ 6" long and they seem "bigger" than they were last spring.  Some of the bulbils were exposed by rain which I covered.  They are bigger than when I planted them by about 5 or 6 times.

They still have a lot of growing to do!  I am hoping to transplant them this fall to give them more space.

I will keep this updated with picture or even videos as I have started a YouTube channel.

Stay posted!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/C61E552D-D5F7-45F0-B23B-24DB391E1B0F-532440.jpg
View Quote
That's some awesome progress.  They should be good growers for your soil considering you've already got some seasons with them.

Snow in April is crazy!  It's crawfish season!

I ended up pulling my garlic.  Down here we have termites and I have bait stations that saturate the soil so the termites don't get in the House.  I planted the garlic around them.  Meaning inedible.  Oops.  None of the garlic had bulged yet.  The thickest stems were around a quarter in size.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#25]
That's some awesome progress.  They should be good growers for your soil considering you've already got some seasons with them.

I ended up pulling my garlic.  Down here we have termites and I have bait stations that saturate the soil so the termites don't get in the House.  I planted the garlic around them.  Meaning inedible.  Oops.  None of the garlic had bulged yet.  The thickest stems were around a quarter in size.
View All Quotes
@Eagle_19er
@samiam513
@Kitties-with-Sigs
@Waldo

They grew during the spring and into the summer, literally the size of a 5" blade of grass, then they died back with the hot weather, as a normal garlic bulb would.

I left them in place and I don't recall if they grew back out in the fall of 2017.

They are now ~ 6" long and they seem "bigger" than they were last spring.  Some of the bulbils were exposed by rain which I covered.  They are bigger than when I planted them by about 5 or 6 times.

Stay posted!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/C61E552D-D5F7-45F0-B23B-24DB391E1B0F-532440.jpg

That’s too bad, but had to be done.

I’m really curious how big the bulbs will get this season.  I’ll get a little video up hopefully this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Onion Scape:

Crazy Garlic:
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Onion Scape:
https://i.imgur.com/8T3ZNzr.jpg

Crazy Garlic:
https://i.imgur.com/ObyhAlB.jpg
View Quote
Holy cow!  That’s insane!

I will get up pictures of my bulbils.  They are tiny, tiny by comparison.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Cut the majority of my scapes 8 days ago.  They seem to be appearing sooner every year.  I have 6 or so more to cut this afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Cut the majority of my scapes 8 days ago.  They seem to be appearing sooner every year.  I have 6 or so more to cut this afternoon.
View Quote
@BigPumpkins

Did you eat them?  How did you cook them?

I will get pictures up soon of the baby garlic.  I don’t know how big they will get this season as I haven’t grown garlic from bulbils before.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#30]

@BigPumpkins

View Quote
I cut some of them up, and cook them in a stir-fry.  Gave my mom some.  She likes to put them in her omelettes.  I like to chop them up fine to mix with butter.  Then I usually make a bunch of garlic bread for dinner.

I have a buddy down the street that pickles them.  I think they are too strong, but he loves them.

I mix them with cream cheese to make this: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18003/cucumber-sandwich/
I use english cucumbers for mine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I cut some of them up, and cook them in a stir-fry.  Gave my mom some.  She likes to put them in her omelettes.  I like to chop them up fine to mix with butter.  Then I usually make a bunch of garlic bread for dinner.

I have a buddy down the street that pickles them.  I think they are too strong, but he loves them.

I mix them with cream cheese to make this: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18003/cucumber-sandwich/
View All Quotes

@BigPumpkins

Nice.  A delicious treat not available all year (unless you pickle it like your friend does!)
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:53:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher15] [#32]
@C-4 Heres my modest garlic harvest.  The smell permiates through the paper.. gonna be super strong.

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#33]
@C-4 Heres my modest garlic harvest.  The smell permiates through the paper.. gonna be super strong.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgrquK0X4AA_HiT.jpg
View Quote
@Cypher15

Nice!

What variety is it?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Music. Seemed like the one to grow for a beginner
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Music. Seemed like the one to grow for a beginner
View Quote
@Cypher15

I think it’s a great all-around garlic.

Quick questions:

1) Did you let the leaves in the lower half of the plants yellow/brown?

2) Did you cut off the scapes (flowers)?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:35:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher15] [#36]

@Cypher15

I think it's a great all-around garlic.

Quick questions:

View Quote
1)  They were partially/half brown on most

2) I did and used them in stir fries and such.

I also fertilized per recommendations.  Going to N heavy nearer to harvesting time.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#37]

I also fertilized per recommendations.  Going to N heavy nearer to harvesting time.
View All Quotes

@Cypher15

I think it's a great all-around garlic.

Quick questions:

Good.  Better a little early than a little late anyway, because the cloves will fall apart.  It's always tempting to squeeze out that last bit of growth!
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:54:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPumpkins] [#38]
Pulled the garlic a few days ago.  They are strung up in the garage now.

German Hardneck:

Music:

Chesnok Red:

Only had three bad ones out of 100 planted:
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Pulled the garlic a few days ago.  They are strung up in the garage now.

German Hardneck:
https://i.imgur.com/ZxYBPBE.jpg

Music:
https://i.imgur.com/pxfu2hv.jpg?1

Chesnok Red:
https://i.imgur.com/BBgg3sU.jpg?1

Only had three bad ones out of 100 planted:
https://i.imgur.com/OYUfjXw.jpg?1
View Quote
@BigPumpkins

Very nice!   I’m sorry I didn’t comment on this earlier.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I planted some Music and Siberian garlic bulbils in the spring of 2017.

I had collected some bulbils from my Music and Siberian garlic, that I let flower, in the fall of 2016, kept them in the refrigerator over the winter of 2016/2017, then planted them in the spring of 2017.

They grew during the spring and into the summer, literally the size of a 5” blade of grass, then they died back with the hot weather, as a normal garlic bulb would.

I left them in place and I don’t recall if they grew back out in the fall of 2017.

They overwintered 2017/2018 and then poked up this spring.  They died back again and weeds overgrew their area.

I carefully pulled the weeds about 2 weeks ago and they were poking out of the ground again.  Have since really taken off with the cold weather.  They will freeze up again and hopefully come back up again in the spring of 2019.  They are definitely getting bigger, but we have a ways to go before I get bulbs out of them.

I will post some pictures up soon.

Also, I was gifted some Music and German bulbs and will get them in the ground hopefully tomorrow or Saturday.  It’s a little late considering the cold fall we have had, but certainly not too late to plant.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Update:  01/18/2019

So I did manage to get the German and Music Garlic into the ground.  I planted them in two separate spots not far apart.  Next to the Music garlic, I planted several rows of Yellow Mutiplier Onions.  I had planted those in the fall of 2017, but it was right next to my perennial Lovage plants so they didn’t get a lot of sunlight since the lovage grows fast.  So I took the Yellow Mutiplier Onions that didn’t grow well but returned to their bulb state and replanted them.  All the garlic and multiplier onions are in full sun locations for the spring and the soil is really good.

I also left the Music and Siberian garlic bulbils in place.  Hopefully they grow well and in the fall I will replant them further apart.

I’ll keep everyone updated.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I have near zero luck growing onions and garlic.  Onions are always on the very small side and garlic never seems to produce anything.  The area is is full sun except for the first couple hours in the morning.  Do the bulbs have to be in the ground before winter in order to get good results?  I imagine that is where I fail.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:11:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#42]
I have near zero luck growing onions and garlic.  Onions are always on the very small side and garlic never seems to produce anything.  The area is is full sun except for the first couple hours in the morning.  Do the bulbs have to be in the ground before winter in order to get good results?  I imagine that is where I fail.
View Quote
@SWIRE

Yes, they need to go in the ground in the fall.  Up here, you get them in the ground when the soil temperature remains below 40F but above freezing.  If you do that then the cloves will grow roots, anchoring the clove in the ground so the frost doesn’t push it out.  As long as the temperature stays below 40F, the stem will not grow out of the clove.  In the spring, the garlic has a big jump-start on growing as soon as the ground thaws!  It then grows until mid-July when it starts to die and should be harvested.

I don’t know how cold it gets where you are though and what we do further north may not apply as well to you.

Also, if you are in a considerably warmer climate than central New Hampshire, you should grow Softneck garlic and not Hardneck garlic.  Hardneck has a hard stem that goes right down the middle of the full-grown bulb, but Softneck does not.  Most garlic in the stores are from China and California and they are of the Softneck variety.  I grow Hardneck only now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I looked up the recommended planting time for Kentucky.  It is in October, same for all the bulb plants.  I've planted tulips in late January and had them turn out great.  I planted tulip bulbs in February and had them sprouting through in March, only about 4 weeks in the ground.  Those tulips were very short but still produced a good flower.

After reading this I took some of the California garlic cloves I bought from Costco and planted 3 rows yesterday.

First row going in.  We had rain and above freezing, followed by snow.  So the ground was not frozen.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#44]
After reading this I took some of the California garlic cloves I bought from Costco and planted 3 rows yesterday.
View Quote
My concern with this is hopefully they are not treated. A lot of grocery stores sell garlic that has been treated so it doesn't sprout. This makes for a longer shelf life for a product that's intended to be eaten and not planted.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By jbooker82:
My concern with this is hopefully they are not treated. A lot of grocery stores sell garlic that has been treated so it doesn't sprout. This makes for a longer shelf life for a product that's intended to be eaten and not planted.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jbooker82:
One clove actually had a little sprout starting when I broke it apart.  I planted them 3-4 inches apart instead of 6, assuming that some might not sprout.  It was all I could at the time with the couple hour window I had before things froze.  The ground is frozen now.  If it doesn't grow in the spring then I will just plant something else in that spot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:45:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eagle_19er] [#46]
I looked up the recommended planting time for Kentucky.  It is in October, same for all the bulb plants.  I've planted tulips in late January and had them turn out great.  I planted tulip bulbs in February and had them sprouting through in March, only about 4 weeks in the ground.  Those tulips were very short but still produced a good flower.

First row going in.  We had rain and above freezing, followed by snow.  So the ground was not frozen.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/gar1_jpg-816321.JPG
View Quote
Best of luck to you!

Just FYI: All garlic is not the same. What you planted is most likely "softneck" garlic, which is much better for southern climates and generally doesn't produce a scape like hardnecks do. Some softnecks do perform similar to hardnecks when in a traditionally hardneck area so you may be fine and get a great harvest.

You did not plant too late. Softnecks don't generally require the "cold time" to grow and bulb but neither are they hurt by it. I'm not nearly as familiar with softnecks so you may want to do some research into what to look for around harvest time. I've planted hardnecks as late as December when the ground was only partially frozen and have gotten great harvests.

Either way, its an interesting experiment that should still yield some results for you. Please post back how they do!

ETA: How cold does it get in your AO and for how long? You may be able to grow both equally well if you're between zones and the weather cooperates.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#47]

ETA: How cold does it get in your AO and for how long? You may be able to grow both equally well if you're between zones and the weather cooperates.
View Quote
It depends on the year.  I'm in Zone 6b but some winters are very mild and other winters we will have two weeks straight of below freezing during the day with near zero degrees at night.  That is the worst that I've seen in the 20 years I've been here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#48]
It depends on the year.  I'm in Zone 6b but some winters are very mild and other winters we will have two weeks straight of below freezing during the day with near zero degrees at night.  That is the worst that I've seen in the 20 years I've been here.
View Quote
I'll be interested in updates, for no other reason than curiosity.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Yes, please post updates!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
My Costco garlic is growing.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top