Site Notices
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By C-4:

@NwG

I will get some pictures of my Texas Mystery Garlic up.  It’s doing well!  I think all the cloves made it except for one.  It got a little chilly up here!
View Quote

Mine were 5-10” tall and got covered by 6-8” of snow during the big freeze in Texas. I was amazed they all survived given they have been growing essentially wild in my yard for the last 20 years or so in 100+ heat.

Sadly, I lost most of my seed starts you sent me during that freeze when the power went out to my grow light / heat mat and the garage got into single digits. :(  thankfully I saved some and have restarted them.

I get some pics when it not pouring rain.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Harvested around 25 pounds of garlic today. My mystery garlic is definitely elephant garlic. Grows from corms and rounds.

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the many benefits of growing your own garlic are the scapes you get from hardneck varieties. I just picked a bunch. Awesome scape year! Interesting to see that the Spanish Roja scapes are so much bigger than the Magic scapes. I'll have to do a side by side taste test.

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NwG:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84193/9E50F61C-C99F-403E-8F89-416D5FB1D3E7_jpe-1953007.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84193/8CF01C93-8361-4623-A6E3-BCC73AA271DF_jpe-1953008.JPG

Harvested around 25 pounds of garlic today. My mystery garlic is definitely elephant garlic. Grows from corms and rounds.

View Quote

@NwG

I’ll get pics up.  One of your garlic plants is flowering.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
One of the many benefits of growing your own garlic are the scapes you get from hardneck varieties. I just picked a bunch. Awesome scape year! Interesting to see that the Spanish Roja scapes are so much bigger than the Magic scapes. I'll have to do a side by side taste test.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/143025/scapes21-1990060.jpg
View Quote

@JCoop

Your Spanish Rojas are much bigger than my Music.  I just picked scapes over the weekend.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]

@JCoop

Your Spanish Rojas are much bigger than my Music.  I just picked scapes over the weekend.
View Quote
Yes, the Spanish Roja plant itself is substantially larger than the Magic plant. It will be interesting to see if there is a lot of difference in bulb size. One would think there would be but we'll see.

I picked a few scapes last weekend and had them with shrimp sauteed in butter over farfalle. With plenty of fresh grated Pecorino.  It did not suck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the Spanish Roja plant itself is substantially larger than the Magic plant. It will be interesting to see if there is a lot of difference in bulb size. One would think there would be but we'll see.

I picked a few scapes last weekend and had them with shrimp sauteed in butter over farfalle. With plenty of fresh grated Pecorino.  It did not suck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@JCoop

The Rojas are beasts of a plant.

The Texas Mystery Garlic is thicc.  If it doesn’t do as well as in Texas this first year, can you really blame it?  We literally plucked it from Texas and put it through a NH winter!
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, all this garlic talk has me missing it! Didn't plant a single clove last fall because we're moving this year.

Oh well, I'll be back this fall. Probably gonna put ~2000 in the ground at our new mountain home.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:55:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JCoop] [#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 12:33:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't want to lose this thread...

I've  harvested all of my garlic. I'll get a pic up here eventually. Productivity was pretty decent, but I'm not pleased with the number of harvested bulbs. I'll plant more this fall than I planted last fall!

Also, I'd get your order in for garlic if you need to buy some for fall planting. Places run out fast this time of year.

Edit to add pic:

top: Spanish Roja
bottom: Magic

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/143025/2021garlic2-2055078.jpg
View Quote

Nice!  Pics up in a few days.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#12]
What type of garlic do you guys recommend for northern Missouri? I really want to plant some this year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 1:18:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Jcoop, good to let the garlic tops die before harvest.

Did the onion tops flop over so you began harvest?

I need to prep my old garden spots and get garlic in this fall.

Much inspiration here to get me back into gardening.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:25:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#16]
Anybody got any garlic pics?
View Quote

OK, finally started getting my pictures together!

This was the garlic bed last fall 2020.  I got the cloves in late October/early November which is late for here.

From right to left, Walking Onions.  These did not do well.

NwG sent me someTexas Mystery Garlic

JCoop sent me some Spanish Rojas

This picture has right to left:  Walking Onions, Texas Mystery Garlic, and Spanish Rojas.  Yes, the HAM radio antenna in the background has since been re-installed!

This is Music garlic that I had originally bought as bulbs to plant individual cloves, then allowed some of the resulting bulbs to flower, collected the bulbils from the flowers, planted those, and ~ 3 years later ended up with bulbs again.  I re-planted the cloves from these bulbs last fall 2020 (when the rest of the pictures posted so far are from).

Lastly, this is Siberian garlic, originally from, IIRC, Eagle_19er that I planted as cloves, allowed the bulbs to flower, collected bulbils and eventually 3 years later had bulbs again.  I also let a patch of Siberian garlic about 2’ X 2’ stay in the ground until this past spring.  I have a picture of that I will post later in the thread.  However, it was so thick with small garlic plants it looks like grass!  I also had another patch of Music garlic in a second garden that lost some of its cloves when pulling bulbs out in the fall of 2020 that started its own patch.

Once it was all planted, I covered it in straw and waited until spring . . .

Spring came and the garlic came up, as did my Tulips.  This raised garden prevents the voles from finding my tulip bulbs and is about the only place I can grow them!  I lost only one clove, a Texas Mystery Garlic.  It’s tricky because you don’t want to plant too deep but if it’s not deep enough, the cold will kill some of the cloves.  To the back and right of the tulips, you can see the Siberian garlic “lawn”.  The furthest back and to the right is my Lovage patch.  This is a hardy perennial herb that smells and tastes like celery.

Siberian garlic “lawn” on the left.  Please don’t do this.  Always harvest your garlic rather than leave in the ground.  Pick out the largest bulbs, and then pick the largest, healthiest cloves for fall planting!

A view facing the patch.  I had to put up chicken wire fencing since the chickens were flying up there and tearing up the garden.

This is the Music garlic that I left in the ground last fall 2020.  While some of it was single cloves that fell off the bulbs being pulled out of the ground, some entire bulbs were left in the ground and ended up growing in clusters like this.  Each stalk represents a single garlic clove that makes up the entire bulb.  This one has four cloves.  It’s because of this crowding that you want to plant cloves separately, maybe 6” apart so they have ample room to grow.  Otherwise, you get stunted bulbs.

This is a wider view of the same Music garlic patch.  This patch is from where I got some of the Music garlic bulbs and then cloves to plant the Music garlic posted up top in the fall of 2020.  I have pictures of this garlic when dry from the 2021 harvest which was towards the middle of July 2021.

This is the Siberian garlic “lawn”, including a close-up.

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, garlic does not like overcrowding at all. Not surprised by the "lawn" type growth. How'd your Roja turn out?

Nice pictorial narrative, by the way.
View Quote

@JCoop

I’ll post the second half of the pictorial.  The Rojas were beasts!  The Texas garlic was great as well, despite the fact they were from Texas and grown in NH!
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm about to plant garlic for next year. It's been really warm here, mid 70s and sunny during the day and mid 50s at night! I'll be planting lots of Spanish Roja that I've been replanting for a few years as well as some Magic I got from C4 last year.

What garlic are you all planting?
View Quote

1) Music

2) Siberian

3) Texas Elephant

4) Rojas

I also salvaged some very tiny Walking Onion bulbs.  That’s a story in and of itself!
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#22]
New to this thread. Re did the garden so I now have more room to include garlic
I've got German extra hardy and Spanish Roja going in within two weeks
I'm in zone 6
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice garlic patches!  I've got a couple of beds ready to plant if the garlic I ordered late gets here in time. I screwed up and completely forgot about garlic until last week.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I still have a fair amount of garlic down in the basement pantry. And it's not like we haven't been using it. We put that *&^% on everything.

You guys still have garlic left? If you've run out are you making plans to increase the crop next season?

This thread will NOT archive
View Quote

I'm all out but it's not without reason.

Due to an untimely deployment a few years back I lost my garlic (the garlic in the ground went to waste and I wasn't able to replant that fall). So I had no seed stock. After starting from a small amount of new seed stock from Eagle_19er it's been a slow process of rebuilding my seed stock and that doesn't leave me a lot for the kitchen. It doesn't help that the first year after Eagle_19er sent it to me my garden helper (4 at the time) decided to be helpful and harvest the garlic for me after it came up (only a few weeks after I planted it). I did my best to get it all planted but many of them didn't make it. We didn't eat much garlic at all that first year; we saved every bulb except the tiniest ones to plant back. I'm planting bulbs that most normally wouldn't plant due to small size just to try to build up more stock for the following season.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top