User Panel

Site Notices
Best lighter? (Page 5 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zach_:

As a former long time smoker, I consider myself informed.
BIC is the bomb. Most reliable. Works in cold weather (cheap butane lighters struggle). Won't splode in your car in the summer. (cheap butane lighters splode)
Will recover from being dropped in water quickly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rodent:
I've tried several fancy "survival" lighters, and they were all expensive, bulky and unreliable - utter disappointments.

I've tried piezo-electric disposables, and they were unreliable.

Lighters that use lighter fluid have evaporation and leakage problems, and they smell.

Everyone seems to use BICs, but they are cheap, fragile, and difficult to use with cold hands.

I've been using DJEEPs - higher quality and better ergonomics - but they seem unavailable since BIC bought them out.

Translucent Clippers get some good reviews, but none of the convenience stores I've checked carry them. Before I order some on Ebay, any suggestions?

BIC is the bomb. Most reliable. Works in cold weather (cheap butane lighters struggle). Won't splode in your car in the summer. (cheap butane lighters splode)
Suggest you give the refillable and re-flintable "Clipper" lighters a try for an inexpensive substitute for the Bics.

All my Bics have been used-up and discarded in favor of the Clipper lighters.  Fully satisfied.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By raf:
Suggest you give the refillable and re-flintable "Clipper" lighters a try for an inexpensive substitute for the Bics.

All my Bics have been used-up and discarded in favor of the Clipper lighters.  Fully satisfied.
View All Quotes
I've tried several fancy "survival" lighters, and they were all expensive, bulky and unreliable - utter disappointments.

Lighters that use lighter fluid have evaporation and leakage problems, and they smell.

Everyone seems to use BICs, but they are cheap, fragile, and difficult to use with cold hands.

I've been using DJEEPs - higher quality and better ergonomics - but they seem unavailable since BIC bought them out.

Translucent Clippers get some good reviews, but none of the convenience stores I've checked carry them. Before I order some on Ebay, any suggestions?

I quit smoking in 2012. I still have BIC lighters around from that time that have been outside the whole time that work.
Wow, I haven't bought a lighter since 2012.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:33:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#3]

I quit smoking in 2012. I still have BIC lighters around from that time that have been outside the whole time that work.
View All Quotes

Everyone has different experiences.  Glad your old Bics continue to work for you; no sense in wasting things that work.  OTOH, maybe best to not rely on a very elderly "critical use" device.

In the event the old Bics fail (and they do, as per personal experience) suggest giving the Clipper lighters some consideration.

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

same guts as the Windmill JP Turbo?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

The Delta Turbo arrived today. Considering it shipped from Japan, that's not bad at all.

A little thicker (with the rubber armor) than a Zippo, but smaller than the Quest/Trekker and will work for leaving it in my Winter jacket just-in-case.

Like the Quest/Trekker, I like that it has the rubber armor and 2 retention devices to keep it closed, but the devices can be disengaged and the lighter ignited 1-handed.

P.S.

I don't think the seller was supposed to ship the thing fueled, but that was how it arrived. Lol

same guts as the Windmill JP Turbo?

The Windmill JP, ZAG, and Delta all use the same basic 'core,' and then just have different external cases.

The core is a clear plastic body that holds 0.9g of fuel, and then has the Windmill piezio igniter and turbo flame system.

Here's the one from inside the JP:

The cores have some slight differences externally for fitting into their respective cases (JP here has an extended flame adjustment screw for example) but all three lighters have identical performance. It's just a function of case preference.

ZAG = minimalist, fits beautifully in jeans change pocket, transparent plastic makes easy to check fuel. Some water resistance.

Delta = shock absorbing rubber case that has 2x latches to improve water resistance.

JP Windproof = indestructible and classy aluminum case designed for daily use, minimal to no water resistance, built in lanyard loop for mounting lanyard or P7 suspension pocket clip.

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

I agree. Bics are basically the G17 and G19 of the lighter world.

Boring, but utterly dependable and available anywhere.

Zippo is more the 1911 - classy and satisfying, with a more powerful flame, but far less endurance and much more maintenance.

Windmill is more like the FN Five seveN. State of the art high performance, but expensive and uncommon, and not to everyones tastes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#6]
Vector "Thunderbird" single Jet butane insert for Zippo case failed after 11 months of daily use.

Leaking from flame adjuster.  I only adjusted the flame twice, so negligible wear-and-tear to the sealing O-rings there.

I'll be sending it off for warranty service/replacement.  Will report.

Biting the bullet and buying a Zippo single torch butane insert.  Have heard from experts who have tested all available butane inserts that Zippo inserts are by far the most reliable.

ETA:  New TB insert arrived yesterday, partially filled, lol.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Recently received the brushed aluminum bodied JP "Windproof" Windmill lighter.  IDK how much lighter the plastic-bodied equivalents might be, but IMHO the HINGE on these cases is the most vulnerable/wear/damage point as regards the case.  The Aluminum-cased units seem very stout in this respect.  Time will tell.  Any of these Windmill gas-fueled lighters are likely to be serviceable even if the hinge becomes damaged and/or the cap detached.
View All Quotes
Recently received the brushed aluminum bodied JP "Windproof" Windmill lighter.  IDK how much lighter the plastic-bodied equivalents might be, but IMHO the HINGE on these cases is the most vulnerable/wear/damage point as regards the case.  The Aluminum-cased units seem very stout in this respect.  Time will tell.  Any of these Windmill gas-fueled lighters are likely to be serviceable even if the hinge becomes damaged and/or the cap detached.

Good point. I'm pretty sure the plastic hinge on the Quest/Trekker and Delta Turbo would probably snap if I dropped it while open, and it landed on the open cap at a bad angle.

Fortunately, that hasn't happened with the Quest that's about a decade old (or older). I HAVE dropped it while it was closed though, and watched it bounce off a few rocks and kerplunk into the water by the riverbank. Fished it out and it was unfazed.

For smokers (and folks who are constantly using it daily), I think the JP would probably be the better choice. Any difference in the water resistance generally isn't going to be a factor, but the durability of the hinge is (seen more than a few people drop their Zippos).

Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

The Windmill JP, ZAG, and Delta all use the same basic 'core,' and then just have different external cases.

The core is a clear plastic body that holds 0.9g of fuel, and then has the Windmill piezio igniter and turbo flame system.

https://i.ibb.co/9WbBwBZ/Screen-Shot-2022-12-31-at-8-05-14-AM.png

The cores have some slight differences externally for fitting into their respective cases (JP here has an extended flame adjustment screw for example) but all three lighters have identical performance. It's just a function of case preference.

ZAG = minimalist, fits beautifully in jeans change pocket, transparent plastic makes easy to check fuel. Some water resistance.

https://akiha-web.com/image/ic/awin021_ic.jpg

Delta = shock absorbing rubber case that has 2x latches to improve water resistance.

https://i.ibb.co/Jzrj9gJ/EG0034-01-ust-delta-stormproof-lighter-zwart-eg0034-d1.jpg

JP Windproof = indestructible and classy aluminum case designed for daily use, minimal to no water resistance, built in lanyard loop for mounting lanyard or P7 suspension pocket clip.

https://item-shopping.c.yimg.jp/i/n/quattroangoli_windmilljp_i_20220905094941

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 4:28:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#8]

Good point. I'm pretty sure the plastic hinge on the Quest/Trekker and Delta Turbo would probably snap if I dropped it while open, and it landed on the open cap at a bad angle.

Fortunately, that hasn't happened with the Quest that's about a decade old (or older). I HAVE dropped it while it was closed though, and watched it bounce off a few rocks and kerplunk into the water by the riverbank. Fished it out and it was unfazed.

For smokers (and folks who are constantly using it daily), I think the JP would probably be the better choice. Any difference in the water resistance generally isn't going to be a factor, but the durability of the hinge is (seen more than a few people drop their Zippos).

Thanks for the info!
View All Quotes

https://i.ibb.co/9WbBwBZ/Screen-Shot-2022-12-31-at-8-05-14-AM.png

https://akiha-web.com/image/ic/awin021_ic.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Jzrj9gJ/EG0034-01-ust-delta-stormproof-lighter-zwart-eg0034-d1.jpg

https://item-shopping.c.yimg.jp/i/n/quattroangoli_windmilljp_i_20220905094941

Thanks for the info!
I think your remarks are reasonable and well-informed.  I'm hoping the Zorro case will prove much stouter than any Zippo case.  Also hoping the (internally-capped) Zorro (Zippo-compatible) liquid-fuel insert will also solve typical Zippo fuel evap problems.  If things work out, I'll use the HD Zorro brass case with a Bic single torch insert and use the (internally capped) liquid fuel Zorro insert in a Zippo Armor case.

It's been fun exploring various types and makes of lighters.  Some lighters have been rather expensive, but also works of art.  No problem as far as I'm concerned; never had such a "cheap" hobby.

Since I use lighters every day, this thread has been a very useful learning experience.

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Raf, have you had a chance to use your Thyrm 2.0 case?

Mine has died 2x now, both within 2-3 days of filling. Not sure if its the polymer case preventing the core from heating properly, or if the Tinder Quik tab in the bottom is stealing the fuel, or what.

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Mine has died 2x now, both within 2-3 days of filling. Not sure if its the polymer case preventing the core from heating properly, or if the Tinder Quik tab in the bottom is stealing the fuel, or what.

View Quote
No, I've not yet tested it; was waiting for your results.  I'll put it's testing in the short list and will report.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 3:05:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#11]
Zippo Tumbled Brass "Armor" lighter arrived today.  Has the "A" stamped into bottom, denoting an "Armor" case.  Case is non-magnetic, while the brass-colered insert is magnetic throughout; obviously plated.  Lighter came with unexpected gizmo containing 7 flints and a spare wick.

Vendor of faux Zippo armor case agreed to refund me $20, which is fine since the case has been used for the past 11 months.  Told Amazon (go-between) that issue was resolved.

Zorro brand Zippo-style brass-colored insert arrived.  Fits into Armor and standard Zippo cases (some inserts don't do both) and is non-magnetic except for lid "flipper" and the striker wheel (expected).  IDK what metal the case is made of, possibly brass.

Cap for wick seats on body of case at base of wick.  There is a gasketed metal plate at bottom of case, which has a flip-open and gasketed fill port.  Even the tube for the flint has a gasket.  The metal plate can be removed for replacement of wick and/or filler material. If this "Zorro Project" works out, i might finally have a Zippo-style lighter that won't evap fuel at an objectionable rate.  I know there are other decent capped-wick and sealed-bottom lighters around--I have some.  This "Project" is just for fun.

Zippo brand single jet butane insert fits both standard and Armor Zippo cases equally well.

Plans are to use the brass Zorro case (with yet another gasket for its lid) for the brass Zorro liquid fuel insert.  The brass Zippo "Armor" case will get the Zippo butane insert, and the standard brass Zippo case will get the Thunderbird butane insert when the replacement unit arrives.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Those Zorro lighters sound very promising, like a better version of the lid of an IMCO lighter.

Zorro makes good stuff. I had the Zorro clone of War Armor titanium zippo case, which is a CNC Zippo case with o-ring seal. Very well made and fuel lasts a long time.

Downside is the lighter is like 4-6oz, almost like a padlock or set of brass knuckles.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804795442540.html

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:37:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#13]
Those Zorro lighters sound very promising, like a better version of the lid of an IMCO lighter.

Zorro makes good stuff. I had the Zorro clone of War Armor titanium zippo case, which is a CNC Zippo case with o-ring seal. Very well made and fuel lasts a long time.

Downside is the lighter is like 4-6oz, almost like a padlock or set of brass knuckles.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/S65940eb840594c5ea4dfcbd61d1a2a08U.jpg?width=800&height=800&hash=1600

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/S95f070e10af841b9be258c1628e9ebc6x.jpg?width=790&height=863&hash=1653
View Quote
The 912 Zorro lighter case is a thicker, heavier version of the Zippo lighter case with augmented hinge assembly.  Some commonly available inserts will fit, some will not.  The 912S case is much larger, almost a table-top lighter.   IDK what other inserts will fit the much larger Zorro 912 S case.

I'm currently ignorant of what warranty is available for such Zorro cases and/or Zorro lighter inserts.  I can say that some of the extremely thin O-rings/gaskets are available; I bought some.  Other O-rings might be fairly standard (Metric) stuff.   With a little preventative care using standard O-ring grease, OEM O-rings and gaskets should last a long time.  O-ring grease available on Amazon, and suitable for many flashlights which use O-rings as well.  A small tube goes a long way.  Great stuff!

I'm looking forward to receiving my 912 Zorro case and will post a report on it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#14]
No, I've not yet tested it; was waiting for your results.  I'll put it's testing in the short list and will report.
View All Quotes

Awesome, thank you. Hope yours works better than mine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#15]
The 912 Zorro lighter case is a thicker, heavier version of the Zippo lighter case with augmented hinge assembly.  Some commonly available inserts will fit, some will not.  The 912S case is much larger, almost a table-top lighter.   IDK what other inserts will fit the much larger Zorro 912 S case.

I'm currently ignorant of what warranty is available for such Zorro cases and/or Zorro lighter inserts.  I can say that some of the extremely thin O-rings/gaskets are available; I bought some.  Other O-rings might be fairly standard (Metric) stuff.   With a little preventative care using standard O-ring grease, OEM O-rings and gaskets should last a long time.  O-ring grease available on Amazon, and suitable for many flashlights which use O-rings as well.  A small tube goes a long way.  Great stuff!

I'm looking forward to receiving my 912 Zorro case and will post a report on it.

View All Quotes

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/S65940eb840594c5ea4dfcbd61d1a2a08U.jpg?width=800&height=800&hash=1600

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/S95f070e10af841b9be258c1628e9ebc6x.jpg?width=790&height=863&hash=1653

Good to know about the grease; my flashlight could deff use some.

The War Armor was originally Titanium, made by this company

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2251832121666736.html

A lot lighter weight then the brass (albeit still much heavier then a normal Zippo.) Mine lasted over 1 year fueled sitting on my desk.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

What I will do is test the Thyrm case with an unaltered Zippo insert alongside a conventional Zippo lighter with unaltered insert.

If the Thyrm case is NOT found to significantly reduce fuel evap loss (as specifically claimed by mfr), then will report back.  I have ZERO problems with returning UNSAT items to mfr for refund.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
i use Super Lube for o-rings.

good for lots of other stuff as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 7:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#18]

A lot lighter weight then the brass (albeit still much heavier then a normal Zippo.) Mine lasted over 1 year fueled sitting on my desk.
View All Quotes

Specifically made O-ring grease is a very nice thing.  Use it on all my devices which have O-rings, including many flashlights.

A thin film of grease on the O-rings helps seal the juncture and prevent wear.  A thin film of such grease on aluminum threads helps to prevent "galling" of the aluminum threads and subsequent wear.

When I say "thin film" I mean just that.  Over-application of grease can be "problematic".

A thin film on O-rings/threads saves them from undue wear.

A little lube goes a long way. Lol

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 7:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#19]
So earlier I had used a gun metaphor for the various lighters.

Bic = Glock

Zippo = 1911

Windmill = FN Five seveN

Well here is the M249 LMG of lighters, the PB-207.

Whereas most lighters are designed for short, few second ignitions, the PB-207 can be lit for minutes at a time without overheating or running out of fuel. Made by Prince in Japan, it was originally designed as a mini blowtorch for dentists and electricians. It has a 4g fuel tank, and a lock on switch on the side that lets the flame be set to constant on.

It's really a pocket blowtorch.

In the US, the PB-207 has been imported by Blazer since the 1980's to capitalize on the Cigar Craze, and if you go to cigar forums its still considered the best cigar lighter ever made.

Unfortunately, the PB-207 fell victim to the other 80's craze - Crack. After a number of crack heads burned their houses down with them, they were pulled off the market for a number of years. Then about 10 years ago they were re-introduced, but with a lame child safety.

However, the 'real' PB-207 with no safety and rubber stand can still be had, as an 'industrial torch'. This is the model you want.

Here's a few I've found at the best prices.

https://www.jbtools.com/blazer-products-189-2074-pb207-pocket-torch-red/

https://www.jbtools.com/blazer-products-189-2070-pb207-pocket-torch-black/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144114335904

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265975119895

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314263322948

Like the Windmill, this PB-207 is best fueled with premium butane such as Newport. Likewise, for both lighters, the carbon from fireworks fuses is the absolute kiss of death, and will kill the lighter in as short as a pack of bottle rockets.

Barring those 2 caveats though, the PB-207 is made in Japan and built to last for years. I've had some since 2010.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's another guys experience with the PB-207, which mirrors my own. If you absolutely have to set something on fire...

Blazer PB-207: A dependable source of fire
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#21]
So much ligher info I have become overwhelmed.  Is it time for a sub forum yet?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 8:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#22]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
View Quote
Possibly, but suggest we keep this knowledge a bit of a "secret" until the subject lighters are better understood.  Suggesting another forum might be premature at this point, IMHO.

I think all of us have much to learn, and in learning, less to offer to most folks than we might like.  YMMV.

Why not?  There's a forum for almost everything else.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Bic = Glock

Zippo = 1911

Windmill = FN Five seveN

Whereas most lighters are designed for short, few second ignitions, the PB-207 can be lit for minutes at a time without overheating or running out of fuel. Made by Prince in Japan, it was originally designed as a mini blowtorch for dentists and electricians. It has a 4g fuel tank, and a lock on switch on the side that lets the flame be set to constant on.

https://i.ibb.co/x8NpRvS/PB207-Prince-ad.png

https://i.ibb.co/QjxQmdF/0490030000022.jpg

In the US, the PB-207 has been imported by Blazer since the 1980's to capitalize on the Cigar Craze, and if you go to cigar forums its still considered the best cigar lighter ever made.

Unfortunately, the PB-207 fell victim to the other 80's craze - Crack. After a number of crack heads burned their houses down with them, they were pulled off the market for a number of years. Then about 10 years ago they were re-introduced, but with a lame child safety.

However, the 'real' PB-207 with no safety and rubber stand can still be had, as an 'industrial torch'. This is the model you want.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/H8cAAOSwU-NjZzfX/s-l1600.jpg

Like the Windmill, this PB-207 is best fueled with premium butane such as Newport. Likewise, for both lighters, the carbon from fireworks fuses is the absolute kiss of death, and will kill the lighter in as short as a pack of bottle rockets.

Barring those 2 caveats though, the PB-207 is made in Japan and built to last for years. I've had some since 2010.
View Quote

I remember those! Always considered getting one, but never did.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#24]
"Zorro" brand 912 brass case arrived today.  It's all that I had hoped; fit and finish are superb.  It came with a brass-color Zorro brand clone of standard Zippo insert installed. The insert is non-magnetic except for flipper and striker wheel (expected), so likely the insert itself is brass.  Insert received along with Zippo brand "Armor" insert (straight from Zippo) was magnetic throughout, indicating it is brass plated steel.  Coming with the Zorro Lighter was a small packet of "O" rings and some flints.  IDK if the Zorro brand brass 912 case will fit any inserts other than Zorro brand inserts; will advise.

The Zorro 912 case is noticeably larger and heavier than even the Zippo "Armor" case, but not objectionably so for "pocket carry".  The Zorro 912S case is bigger still, and something of a "coffee-table" lighter.  I call the 912S case the "Super-Sized" case in my mind, in order to keep them straight.

Also received today was a pkg of special Japanese cotton, suitable for lighters.  Supposedly unbleached and without any contaminants, such as pesticides, etc.  A whole $5.

I discovered on Youtube that there is a way to "snake" the wick inside typical Zippo style insert that allows for full contact of wick with packing material, but which also allows wick to be easily extended if need be.  Some methods of arranging the wick and the internal packing don't allow this to be easily done.  

Zippo Wick Trick

This YT poster has likely forgotten more about Zippos and how to repair/mod than most us know.  

ETA:  Zippo and Zorro liquid fuel inserts fit in Standard Zippo case, Zippo "Armor" case, and Zorro 912 case.  Only "exception" was that the Zorro "Flip-cap" insert was a loose fit in the Zorro case.  Problem solved by putting some tape on the striker wheel side of the vertical portion of the case.  Tape in this particular place forces the flipper lever into correct position, and "tightens" things up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Bic = Glock

Zippo = 1911

Windmill = FN Five seveN

View Quote

I have a few chinese clones of these lighters I got from Menards a while back.

I like them a lot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:

I have a few chinese clones of these lighters I got from Menards a while back.

I like them a lot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408270/20230108_122729_jpg-2665163.JPG
View Quote

Nice.

Yes, the PB-207 style (scuba tank with cap) has been extensively copied over the years, and its a testament to the design that even inexpensive copies and variations tend to work well.

Heres a Chinese clone of the PB-207 from the mid 90's that still functions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lighters/comments/9w7imu/90s_chinese_knockoff_of_princeblazer_pb207_vs/
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Bic = Glock

Zippo = 1911

Windmill = FN Five seveN

They're pretty cool. Perhaps a scootch big for pants pocket carry (~the size of a 12 gauge shell) but great for a kit bag / jacket.

Worth snagging while they're still available - never know when one of these small Japanese firms will eventually go under / succumb to chinese manufacturing temptation.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#28]
IMHO, the very best of the Japanese lighter mfrs seem to produce some very nice products.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Possibly, but suggest we keep this knowledge a bit of a "secret" until the subject lighters are better understood.  Suggesting another forum might be premature at this point, IMHO.

I think all of us have much to learn, and in learning, less to offer to most folks than we might like.  YMMV.

View All Quotes

I've thought we'd do well to have a 'EDC Forum' that covers the whole host of pocket gear would be great.

-Lighters
-Knives / multi tools
-Flashlights
-Keychains
-Wallets
-Watches
-Phones and phone cases
-Belts / Pants / clothing

This would consolidate the current 'Blades' and 'Watches' sub forums, and then expand on it, with hopefully enough topics to keep people engaged and contributing well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#30]

I've thought we'd do well to have a 'EDC Forum' that covers the whole host of pocket gear would be great.

-Lighters
-Knives / multi tools
-Flashlights
-Keychains
-Wallets
-Watches
-Phones and phone cases

This would consolidate the current 'Blades' and 'Watches' sub forums, and then expand on it, with hopefully enough topics to keep people engaged and contributing well.
View All Quotes

-Lighters
-Knives / multi tools
-Flashlights
-Keychains
-Wallets
-Watches
-Phones and phone cases

Not my call, but sometimes the narrower the focus of a forum, the more likely focused the replies.   Forums with too narrow a focus eventually die. It's a balancing act.

Folding-in some existing forums into a new EDC forum will be sure to upset some folks, but I think the idea has some merit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Not my call, but sometimes the narrower the focus of a forum, the more likely focused the replies.   Forums with too narrow a focus eventually die. It's a balancing act.

Folding-in some existing forums into a new EDC forum will be sure to upset some folks, but I think the idea has some merit.
View All Quotes

-Lighters
-Knives / multi tools
-Flashlights
-Keychains
-Wallets
-Watches
-Phones and phone cases

Thats my concern with a dedicated lighter forum. Theres some cool lighters out there, but I don't think enough to sustain a forum.

Even Blades in the Armory section is pretty slow, and thats a much broader topic set.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Stumbled across this amazing Zippo O-ring concept on Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804870803501.html

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#33]
"Solid Titanium Alloy" for about $65 shipped. II >>believe<< the cheaper units are made of brass, or brass plated.  The teeny, tiny, hair thin O-rings are available as replacements, but that's just me.

YMMV, but I no longer buy liquid fueled lighters without some sort of "decent" cap for the wick because they waste so much fuel from wick evaporation.  "Flip-Cap" Zorro insert is a decent item, and there are scads of decent lighters available with flip-open caps and sealed bottoms.  Aside from "legacy" Zippos, I have no interest in them, being an inferior design IMHO.

All my liquid fueled lighters with Zippo-style lighter inserts have aftermarket plastic inserts on the bottom of the lighter insert.  The plastic inserts help but evap from the wick on typical Zippo is the main culprit causing fuel loss.  I suspect that cutting the wick inside the windscreen of the typical Zippo lighter to a shorter length should reduce fuel evap to some degree, but that reduces the wick-induced fuel evap issue and does not solve the underlying wick-induced fuel evap problem common to Zippos.

I don't fully trust O-rings between top lid and the case/insert of lighter.  Too thin, and too subject to wear and tear.  OTOH, better with than without, I reckon.

For the Glock owner, this item is a "Natural", and I expect they'll sell quite a few for that price.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Spent an enjoyable morning re-evaluating all the Zippo-style lighters I have.

Pulled the guts out of all of them and re-configured the wick into a fuel-absorbing "Z" pattern as advised by experts.  Wick sandwiched between cotton inserted on Both sides of the wick.  This allows user to easily extend/withdraw the wick without the filler inserts preventing such--as do >>tightly<< packed OEM fiber inserts.  Also allows full exposure of wick to all fuel available within the insert.

Some of original Zippo wicks were crammed into top of the insert, thus retarding fuel access from the bottom of the insert.  Manufacturing defect.

Some OEM Zippo fiber inserts were so >>tightly packed<< that I doubt they could absorb any fuel at all.  Manufacturing defect.

These problems were fixed.  I like fixing things.

Installed some aftermarket plastic caps onto bottom of insert in order to retard fuel evap.   Useful, but don't address the fundamental problem with Zippo lighters evaporating far too much fuel from their wick.

There are many liquid fueled lighters available which have a sealed fuel port, and a "flip" cap which seals the wick.  Just trying to "Save the Planet", lol!

Submitted for discussion.

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:32:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Pulled the guts out of all of them and re-configured the wick into a fuel-absorbing "Z" pattern as advised by experts.  Wick sandwiched between cotton inserted on Both sides of the wick.  This allows user to easily extend/withdraw the wick without the filler inserts preventing such--as do >>tightlytightly packed<< that I doubt they could absorb any fuel at all.  Manufacturing defect.

Installed some aftermarket plastic caps onto bottom of insert in order to retard fuel evap.   Useful, but don't address the fundamental problem with Zippo lighters evaporating far too much fuel from their wick.

There are many liquid fueled lighters available which have a sealed fuel port, and a "flip" cap which seals the wick.  Just trying to "Save the Planet", lol!

View Quote

Thats cool. I'll have to check the Zippo core in my Thyrm, and see whether an improperly done wick is the cause if it failing to light.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:39:11 AM EDT
[#36]
So in terms of more affordable lighters, there is a very nice water resistant one from China for $3-4.

The AOMAI 127 is a loose copy of the Windmill ZAG. Its a bit larger, and uses a simplified catalyzer coil (sheet metal instead of platinum wire) but its still very windproof, while also offering a 0-ring seal to resist water. This model has been available for ~10 years, so its a solid track record as far as Chinese designs go.

When filled with Newport Butane, reliability is good as well.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804191050048.html

The coil is coated in a chemical that gives the flame a reddish pink glow, rather then being invisible like the Windmill.

Windmill is the better lighter.

But these are ~80% as good as a fraction of the cost, so you can buy a number of them and stash them everywhere.

Definitely a great bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 12:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#37]
So in terms of more affordable lighters, there is a very nice water resistant one from China for $3-4.

The AOMAI 127 is a loose copy of the Windmill ZAG. Its a bit larger, and uses a simplified catalyzer coil (sheet metal instead of platinum wire) but its still very windproof, while also offering a 0-ring seal to resist water. This model has been available for ~10 years, so its a solid track record as far as Chinese designs go.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/S74d75c8e73b54dc99197eded4df402e1x.jpg?width=750&height=866&hash=1616

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/S1798084551bb40beab68d1496cfe0d86V.jpg?width=750&height=942&hash=1692

The coil is coated in a chemical that gives the flame a reddish pink glow, rather then being invisible like the Windmill.

https://i.redd.it/zz83v3wyl3521.jpg

But these are ~80% as good as a fraction of the cost, so you can buy a number of them and stash them everywhere.

View Quote
Great suggestion!  Bought 2 of the "black" units, and a Zorro brand "556" liquid fueled lighter., which was suggested above.  Also picked up a "Heavy-Duty" Zorro-style Titanium case, and one each of the brass and chrome Zorro liquid fuel inserts with the automatic "flip-open/close" feature for the wick cap.  First place I've seen them for sale.

Some great and some affordable (some both!) lighters available on that site.  I'm assuming that items bought from that site may be lacking any sort of warranty service from the mfr, but the sellers seem to be willing to address some problems.  At those cheap prices, probably not a huge concern.  The Zorro brand striker wheel jig + rivet setting tools might be useful.

Once new inserts and case have arrived, I'll re-evaluate what Zippo and zippo-style items I have, and perhaps buy additional items to make the best of what I have work well.  Residual items will be given away as gifts.  My "base" Zippo case is the Zippo "Armor" case since it is relatively stout AND warrantied by Zippo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:26:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#38]

Thats cool. I'll have to check the Zippo core in my Thyrm, and see whether an improperly done wick is the cause if it failing to light.
View All Quotes

Pulled the guts out of all of them and re-configured the wick into a fuel-absorbing "Z" pattern as advised by experts.  Wick sandwiched between cotton inserted on Both sides of the wick.  This allows user to easily extend/withdraw the wick without the filler inserts preventing such--as do >>tightlytightly packed<< that I doubt they could absorb any fuel at all.  Manufacturing defect.

Based on my experience, checking out the guts of the insert and re-arranging the wick properly just might be worth your while; it certainly was for me. See this YT video: Zippo Wick Trick  

All my Zippo inserts had one or more issues with wick configuration and/or packing.

If your insert has an unclosed bottom, one of the plastic devices that seals the bottom of the insert might help a little.  I put one onto every insert that has an open bottom; Better than nothing, and easier access to spare flint.  Worth the scant cost, IMHO, but not a "miracle" cure for Zippo fuel evap; "Helpful" might be a better description.  IMHO, only an insert with a wick cap will make a noticeable difference in Zippo fuel evap, and possibly some "capped" inserts seal better than others.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#39]

i want one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#40]

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/S74d75c8e73b54dc99197eded4df402e1x.jpg?width=750&height=866&hash=1616

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/S1798084551bb40beab68d1496cfe0d86V.jpg?width=750&height=942&hash=1692

https://i.redd.it/zz83v3wyl3521.jpg

View Quote
i want a couple.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Once again this place cost me money. Luckily not much this time lol. Recommendations a few pages back of Clipper Lighters led me to grab a 12 pack of them from Amazon for $17 along with replacement flints,  and barrel mechanisms for a grand total under $50 for everything. These arrived before Christmas and have been used since. Initial impressions below.

- like that these have Bic dependability so far with being refillable of liquid.
- like that the flint and barrel mechanisms are replaceable
- Going on a month now and haven't had to refill the liquid

- Not as windproof as a Zippo but I would say on par with Bic or equivalent lighters
- The lower cost plastic ones don't have an adjustable flame

So far I recommend these as a good solid alternative to Bic that gives the capability to refill and replace parts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HgMike:
Once again this place cost me money. Luckily not much this time lol. Recommendations a few pages back of Clipper Lighters led me to grab a 12 pack of them from Amazon for $17 along with replacement flints,  and barrel mechanisms for a grand total under $50 for everything. These arrived before Christmas and have been used since. Initial impressions below.

- like that these have Bic dependability so far with being refillable of liquid.
- like that the flint and barrel mechanisms are replaceable
- Going on a month now and haven't had to refill the liquid

- Not as windproof as a Zippo but I would say on par with Bic or equivalent lighters
- The lower cost plastic ones don't have an adjustable flame

So far I recommend these as a good solid alternative to Bic that gives the capability to refill and replace parts.
View Quote
Your experiences mirror my own.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:58:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#44]
Originally Posted By TNC:
I have wasted a good amount of money on fancy lighters. All the torch style fail pretty quickly for me, including the weatherproof types. Typically moisture kills them. Last one died on a long elk hunt since I had it in my pocket and sweated. I keep coming back to flint type yellow flame butane lighters.  Bic and similar. I have one orange refillable piezo lighter that's been with me for years.

So, my strategy is to have primary, alternate, contengent, emergency, spare, spare, and spare lighters to be sure I can always make fire.

Right now I'm carrying one of the zippo yellow flame, flint struck inserts in a zippo case. It seems to work well. My favorite is a thunderbird yellow flame, flint struck insert. It is a great replacement for the zippo.
View Quote
IIRC, I have seen on aliexpress two different types of "heating elements" for electric/USB lighters.  I'm assuming that these are used by some as repair items, but no idea on how the procedure is done. One Type of Heating Element  Another Type of Heating Element

IDK how practical it is to tear apart and repair most lighters, except for such disassembly needed for a good cleaning, given the (usual) lack of spare parts.

Replacing flint striker wheels on some uncommon lighters is always a possibility, but you'll need the Zorro brand jig and rivet setting tools to do so.  Zorro Repair  Kit  I don't recall the last time I encountered a lighter with a worn-out striker wheel, but I guess anything's possible over time.  There appears to be a size difference amongst some striker wheels and their fasteners/screws/rivets.  Suggest measuring your items and ordering correctly sized replacement items.  There are also notched and pegged striker wheels presumably for lighters configured to rotate the striker wheel when the cap/lid is opened.  Same advice.

IMHO, one of the things Zippo has going for them is their replacement/warranty policy.  Suggest sending any and all Zippo lighters in for service/replacement while that policy is still in effect.   Same thing for other lighters if their mfr offers similar policy.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:03:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#45]
Just received some repair parts and repair tools for typical Zippo lighters via aliexpress.  Probably will never need them, but better to have them than to lack them, I reckon.  Took some time to arrive, but it is what it is.

Also received a solid brass and a chrome-plated brass Zorro brand Bic-style lighter insert with automatic flip-open wick caps which wick caps are actuated by opening lid of lighter case.  Inserts came with a plastic bottom shield, with flip-open access port for filling and which has a recess for spare flint.  I've installed similar devices on all my Zippo style lighter inserts.  They "seem" to reduce fuel evap from that point, but fuel evap from the wick is the main problem, IMHO.

Early days yet, but I have hope that this "cap" feature will prevent, or at least greatly retard typical fuel evap compared to un-capped wicks common to most Zippo lighters.  I am awaiting arrival of yet another style of Zorro brand Zippo-style insert which requires user to flip open lid of case and then raise the wick cover by rotating the striker wheel which also ignites the lighter.  It's necessary to manually flip-down the wick cap in order to close the lid.

I'll report on these devices when delivery of all of them is completed, and I have some time to conduct some tests.  Hopefully delivery of final item not too far in the future.

Initial experience is that the Zorro inserts with automatically opening/closing wick cap operate fine in standard Zippo lighter cases; Question is how much do such inserts retard fuel evap in comparison to standard Zippo lighter inserts, and into what various cases such Zorro brand inserts will fit.

Why Zippo fails to sub-contract with Zorro and offer such vastly improved inserts is beyond me.  Wasting fuel due to simple fuel evaporation seems stupid to me.

The reason why I am pursuing this topic is because the Zippo lighter will burn most reasonably volatile fuels in a SHTF (survival) environment; it's a potentially valuable survival device once the innate fuel evaporation issue can be overcome.  Millions of them out there.  With the right "Capped" wick insert, I believe Zippos to be a viable survival tool.  Without a means to greatly reduce fuel evap, I consider them to be almost worthless in a SHTF/survival scenario. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#46]
A "Zorro" brand fuel canister arrived today.  Tiny and utterly necessary flat disk gasket fell out of it upon unscrewing the cap.  UNSAT!

Zippo brand spare fuel containers are far better, IMHO.  

Sometimes things don't work out as hoped, and this is likely one of them.  Glued the gasket disk into place. with E2000 glue.

Will advise if it leaks.

Buy the more expensive and utterly reliable Zippo brand spare fuel canister.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:10:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#47]
Just received Zorro brand 5.56 "siphon" lighter.  It is brass cylindrical unit, with a window in its' side through which one can see the wick ("siphon") and the liquid fuel level.  It has a capped wick, and the cap can auto-strike the flint, when flipped open.  Altogether a decent, perhaps good unit.  There is no onboard possibility of storing a spare flint, and manipulating the small screw which secures the flint is very difficult without a small, straight-shanked screwdriver.

Better than many lighters, but not as good as some others for similar cost.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:57:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boy-scout] [#48]
Originally Posted By tigglesworth:
The Exotac sleeve solves most of the shortcomings of a Bic. I wish they’d make one for the Bic Mini.

A lighter, matches, a ferro rod, and a couple Pull-Start Fire blocks should guarantee you get a fire going when needed.
View Quote

Dango mini Bic lighter capsule

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#50]
County comms  xl peanut lighter
Page / 6
Best lighter? (Page 5 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top