Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@ROCK6.

I've been considering getting an Osni cloak with a blaze orange exterior for deer hunting, since HPG doesn't offer the Mountain Serape in blaze or blaze camo. How would you rate the Osni against the HPG MS for warmth and workmanship?

Thanks.
View Quote
Construction on both is excellent.  The Onsi has a couple more features, but I would have to check and see if it weighs more than HPG Serape.  I don't have both with me, but my assumption is the HPG Serape would compress slightly better.  It's nice with Wilderness Innovations, because I think you could get one side blaze orange and the other side coyote brown, camo, etc...

They are very similar and about he same cost.  While I have a couple HPG Serapes and have used them longer, I have zero complaints with the Onsi…

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#2]
My .02 - The issued one is great because it is a very versatile piece of gear used by many soldiers.   I NEVER used my fart sack when in the field during the summer months (too hot) - only a poncho w/ liner and the (SM) sleeping mat which also helped kept my pack weight down.  In the winter, if cold enough it served to help insulate me while inside my issued (SB) sleeping bag.

My layers while in the field (warmer to colder):
SM+Poncho w/ Liner (great for sleeping on top of M113 or 901 ITV in the summer)
SM+SB+twin sheet  (bag open to let heat out using sheet to keep bugs off)
SM+SB+sheet+woobie
SM+SB+sheet+woobie+head gear (*icicles in your mustache weather)

* keep in mind that I had joined several years before gortex gear was issued.

The above stated, there have been improvements by 3rd party vendors including sleeping bags, woobies and under layers.   I've heard great things about the Kifaru Woobie by folks stationed in the desert of a foreign land during winter.  If I were looking at camping in colder months - I'd buy a nice, light weight SB, good under layers and possibly a Jacket liner (less bulk/weight) for lounging around.  I still use my jacket liner even to this day and I got out in 2000... The jacket liner is the cut down woobie...

as always - YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Construction on both is excellent.  The Onsi has a couple more features, but I would have to check and see if it weighs more than HPG Serape.  I don't have both with me, but my assumption is the HPG Serape would compress slightly better.  It's nice with Wilderness Innovations, because I think you could get one side blaze orange and the other side coyote brown, camo, etc...

They are very similar and about he same cost.  While I have a couple HPG Serapes and have used them longer, I have zero complaints with the Onsi

ROCK6
View Quote
Awesome, thanks. I have a HPG MS that is one of my favorite pieces of gear. I asked on the HPG forum if they'd be interested in making them in blaze or blaze camo and they said that mine was the first request for it they'd received. So, understandably, no interest on their end. With Wilderness Innovations being a more semi-custom shop, I think I'll go with them for it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do they get worn out and not insulate as well after they get old? I have one I tried to sleep in the mid  30s and I actually thought if it was colder I would die.
View Quote
There's not a whole lot of insulation to begin with, so they have little "performance" to lose with use and age.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#5]
What are poncho liners good for?

1. As a poncho liner
2. Use as a thin blanket to go from OMFG miserable cold to just regular cold. If you’ve ever been in a situation where you can appreciate that difference, you’ll understand.
3. An extra layer for otherwise inadequate sleeping bag warmth (optional, also for wadding up at the foot of your long sleeping bag if you’re not too tall to reduce the air volume your meager body heat needs to keep warm)
4. Road trips, shitty hotel beds, hammock under blanket
5. Lounging on the couch remembering #2 above and appreciating how much more comfortable it is lounging on the couch than freezing your ass off for real in the boonies

Advantages: light, not too bulky, decent insulation for its size, somewhat water resistant, comes in nifty militaresque color schemes
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been pretty impressed with Wal-Mart's Chinese woobie, the Ozark Trail Packable Blanket for $15.

Seems a tad thicker than G.I. issue and does not have any tie outs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:13:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a few various liners I was able to snag on ebay.  They are great for what they are, a light weight hard use quilted blanket with some strings attached.  I works great as a warm weather bag alternative and is very multi use.  With that said it does not replace a sleeping bag when one is required.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:56:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I sewed a GI Space Blanket into the perimeter of the liner.

When I made a wrap, I have poncho top and bottom, with space blanket at middle top & bottom and woobie on inside top & bottom.

The space blanket reflects a lot of body heat back into the woobie & wearer.  The woobie also acts as a standoff that can absorb some of the moisture that otherwise would make the inside of the system very damp.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#9]
The poncho liner is terrible for warmth in the field if it’s actually cold,  but works great if you are a boot who wants to sleep on top of his rack in the barracks.

Of course modern soldiers and Marines don’t make racks anymore, they sleep on beds under their Scooby Doo comforter and just leave it crumpled in the morning.

You can hang it up around your area in a b-hut or GP medium when deployed to create a jack shack for privacy, so it’s not completely useless.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do they get worn out and not insulate as well after they get old? I have one I tried to sleep in the mid  30s and I actually thought if it was colder I would die.
View Quote
You realize it's not a sleeping bag?
I've been cold indoors sleeping with them.  So I'm not terribly sold on them, though I have a few.  I do enjoy my Kifaru, enough that my kids have Weebies.

Wiggies makes a good zippered jacket liner, made of stuff similar to their sleepong bags.  Their poncho liner is, IMO, way too damn big.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Get a Kifaru Woobie.  That shit's hot.
View Quote
+1. I love mine but ended up making two more with the same materials they use (for 1/4 of the price).
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:35:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Woobie + smoking jacket = comfortable nights sleep
View Quote
Truth
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I use mine as a base layer for my air mattress at NTC. Set up cot, inflate mattress, set mattress on cot, tie woobie to mattress, install fitted sheet set, blanket, and pillow. Lay back and watch as 1SG loses his mind and 5 warrant officers steal the TMP van to go to the PX across post to buy air mattresses.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The poncho liner is terrible for warmth in the field if it’s actually cold,  but works great if you are a boot who wants to sleep on top of his rack in the barracks.

Of course modern soldiers and Marines don’t make racks anymore, they sleep on beds under their Scooby Doo comforter and just leave it crumpled in the morning.

You can hang it up around your area in a b-hut or GP medium when deployed to create a jack shack for privacy, so it’s not completely useless.
View Quote
You must be mech
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've been cold indoors sleeping with them.  So I'm not terribly sold on them, though I have a few.  I do enjoy my Kifaru, enough that my kids have Weebies.

Wiggies makes a good zippered jacket liner, made of stuff similar to their sleepong bags.  Their poncho liner is, IMO, way too damn big.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A poncho liner is about as far from a 30 degree bag as you can get!  

You need an actual rated sleeping bag for those temps!  Or a wool blanket next to a fire...
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know that now, but if you read these threads where people talk about the magical properties of poncho liners people tend to get the wrong impression.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#17]
All joking aside, the magic is completly psychosomatic.  If you have ever been in a hole in the desert, or an LPOP at night, the comfort of pulling your woobie out of your buttpack is amazing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My poncho liner (calling it a woobie makes you sound like a Marine in a gay leather bar) is good to about -15 or so.
View Quote
Amry for almost 18 years and woobie is all I know it by.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#19]
On a side note, the old field jacket liner is like a jacket made from a woobie. Its another magical piece of gear.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 4:20:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
On a side note, the old field jacket liner is like a jacket made from a woobie. Its another magical piece of gear.
View Quote
as good as the FJL is, I think it is trumped by the new FREE cold weather gear...the waffle shirt is the shit!
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#21]
My favorite one was issued during the VietNam war.

Angels sing when you wrap yourself in it.

Have one stuffed with Thinsulate.  Meh, it's ok.

Have a Kifru Woobie, warm but it's not magic.

Have maybe a half dozen others made at various times from the 1980s to the present.  All of these are a bit magical but no Angels appear when you use them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only if you wear it under the BDU shirt, buttoning it into the field jacket does next to nothing. Worn that way it was enough to keep me warm through a Korean winter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Truth
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woobie + smoking jacket = comfortable nights sleep
Truth
Smoking jacket ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Smoking jacket ?
View Quote
A.K.A Field Jacket Liner
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Done properly, you can wear a poncho liner underneath a goretex jacket and have a system that rivals the current level 7 jacket with goretex waterproof goodness and can also be pulled out of your jacket for E&E purposes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#26]
People think Hanford was about nuclear/atomic bombs, but it's not.  It was a cover for the Woobie project and the massive amounts of energy it took.  All that energy is harnessed in the Woobie and the Soldier who employes it properly has vast resources at his/her disposal.  That is the true reason why our armed forces are near unstoppable. People be like, what about air power? Well, pilots get a Woobie too.  The whole bombing Japan thing? Yeah, while we learned how to use the byproducts of Woobie development in creative and useful ways.

Yea as I walk through the valley of death, I shall fear no ambush, for my Woobie is with me. It's smooth surface and plushy filling comfort me, while I deliver asswooping to mine enemies....
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Having spent nights on top of the mountain at MWTC Bridgeport I am here to say that alone the poncho liner is useless in the real world. But combined with the sleep system and the happy suit it was well loved into the negatives.

And as a jack shack.......... There is no equal......
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I found something much warmer....

Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Fucking millennials ruined the Pancho liner
by calling it woobie.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
by calling it woobie.
View Quote
We had the woobie long before we had millennials!  But they do screw a lot of things up
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There is a shield against air currents, it's called a poncho, that the liner lines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poncho liners are very thin, I don't see how there could be much warmth in them. I understand that anything is better than nothing, so how would a person best employ one if trying to sleep or just stay warmer? I know a shield against air currents would be absolutely required to help it work.
There is a shield against air currents, it's called a poncho, that the liner lines.
Put the two together and you will wake up soaked....
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#32]
If only they’d made the poncho & liner 8” wider or so, so that someone bigger than Christian Bale can wrap it all the way around himself.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
by calling it woobie.
View Quote
Pretty sure the Pancho liner is standard issue in the Mexican Army.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Not all poncho liners are thin.  You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#35]
GI sleeping bags suck.  At least 40 years ago they did.  Poncho liner in the bag as a blanket, poncho on top as a rain/snow/dew shield and your M17 protective mask as a pillow.  Living the life, baby!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Group 1 Equipment woobie. Are much cheaper than the kifrau woobie and ship very fast. You can also chose the amount of insulation you want.

They are owned by former light fighter vets, so they understand pack light freeze at night
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:19:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Not all poncho liners are thin.  Be prepared to pay for a good one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:02:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Smoking jacket ?
View Quote
M65 field jacket liner.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Having spent nights on top of the mountain at MWTC Bridgeport I am here to say that alone the poncho liner is useless in the real world. But combined with the sleep system and the happy suit it was well loved into the negatives.

And as a jack shack.......... There is no equal......
View Quote
What is a happy suit?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Group 1 Equipment woobie. Are much cheaper than the kifrau woobie and ship very fast. You can also chose the amount of insulation you want.

They are owned by former light fighter vets, so they understand pack light freeze at night
View Quote
I must be looking at the wrong company. Their woobies are only about $20 cheaper than Kifaru.

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't forget about the Field Jacket Liners, you can stuff it into its own sleeve and make it into a nice pillow.  Woobie and Field Jacket Liner, never go to the field or on deployment without them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:08:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Contrary to what some are saying here, they have no "magical" powers to keep you warm at low temps.
If that was really the case, the military wouldn't spend a ton of money issuing a multi-component sleep system to each person.
If you really need to use one in temps down in the 30s, you may want to double up layers with a second poncho liner, or do a proper taco, which unlike the ones already mentioned in the thread, includes a casualty blanket layer to reflect some of that heat back at your body

http://quietsurvivalist.com/the-ranger-taco-living-in-the-bush-pt-4/
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Contrary to what some are saying here, they have no "magical" powers to keep you warm at low temps.
If that was really the case, the military wouldn't spend a ton of money issuing a multi-component sleep system to each person.
If you really need to use one in temps down in the 30s, you may want to double up layers with a second poncho liner, or do a proper taco, which unlike the ones already mentioned in the thread, includes a casualty blanket layer to reflect some of that heat back at your body

http://quietsurvivalist.com/the-ranger-taco-living-in-the-bush-pt-4/
View Quote
Great link, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Betcha I had more fun than you did.
View Quote
I’m pretty sure that spending three days and nights freezing on an OP on a January mountainside at NTC with a couple dudes is way more fun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know that now, but if you read these threads where people talk about the magical properties of poncho liners people tend to get the wrong impression.
View Quote
To understand imagine if you will that that through no fault of your own beyond enlisting you find yourself in a nasty spot and poorly equipped with unexpected weather and the sun disappearing.
Your wet and cold and screwed and the one thing you have with you is your poncho and liner and it is like the warm embrace of a beautiful woman.
I haven't used one in that situation in 30 years but I probably have 10 of them stashed around knowing that they have my back if I screw up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a wiggys jacket liner.  Inside a TNF she'll with the stock fleece bullshit removed, it is the warmest coat imaginable.

I was going to buy a couple ponchos and wobbies today anyway, this thread solidified it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Office temp is on “meat locker”. Wouldn’t mind having a ‘cho liner right about now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#49]
After getting my poncho and woobies (stupid amazon sent one poncho and three woobies instead of 2 and 2), I have to ask a stupid question:  with the woobie tied into the poncho, is there any way to still actually wear the thing?  Or is that for making a field expedient sleeping bag?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top